Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 25-04-2018, 03:43 PM   #1
Victor1

Default Tyre pressure 2016 focus sport

What tyre pressure are you using in your focus lz sport?
I have currently been using 33psi and have found some extra wear on the outside of the fronts that would indicate under inflated.
Tyres rotated at service intervals,33000klms travelled.
Mainly highway use above 110klms an hour (highway use greater than 70%)
Single person driving with no extra weight except a small esky less than 15kg located in the hatch behind the rear seats.
Full tank of fuel topped up to full every Thursday afternoon.
Distance traveled weekly approx 500klms.
The placard in the door states 31psi.
Victor1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2018, 04:04 PM   #2
frankie86
Sprinting Everywhere!

Default Re: Tyre pressure 2016 focus sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor1 View Post
What tyre pressure are you using in your focus lz sport?
I have currently been using 33psi and have found some extra wear on the outside of the fronts that would indicate under inflated.
Tyres rotated at service intervals,33000klms travelled.
Mainly highway use above 110klms an hour (highway use greater than 70%)
Single person driving with no extra weight except a small esky less than 15kg located in the hatch behind the rear seats.
Full tank of fuel topped up to full every Thursday afternoon.
Distance traveled weekly approx 500klms.
The placard in the door states 31psi.
We have been running 40psi all round in our titanium and find it perfect. Got 60k out of the original goodyears. (Rotated every 7500klms)
frankie86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 25-04-2018, 04:17 PM   #3
Victor1

I was thinking of going that high in psi but the tyres are smaller than my mustang and I've just gone to 39 psi in them.
Question now is does the tyre size /weight/speed and of course driving style(being a to and from work vehicle I normally leave the driving to cruise control and drive mode instead of sport and my right foot) come into play?
I've increased pressure to 35psi ,but I really want to go closer to 40psi,but I don't want a detrimental side effect in doing so.
I personally think higher than 35 psi is going to be the go but I realise others owning the same combination of vehicle have already done the math on this,and I would like to be the dumbass on this and follow what others have found.
Old 27-04-2018, 12:41 PM   #4
spiker

Just wondering why everyone here is running such high pressures, I have an lw2 Sport running 215 50 17's and the recommended pressure is only 31psi with 1 or 2 people on board which is normal for us.
spiker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2018, 01:30 PM   #5
Victor1

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiker View Post
Just wondering why everyone here is running such high pressures, I have an lw2 Sport running 215 50 17's and the recommended pressure is only 31psi with 1 or 2 people on board which is normal for us.
It's got to do mainly with the front outside and inner edge wear,and to get the most kilometres out of them.of course a lower psi is going to give a superior ride,but it's the perfect trade between the two is what some people are after,but in my case the roads I travel are in above average condition so I'm looking for the best psi for maximum tyre life/Kim's.
Old 27-04-2018, 03:54 PM   #6
CatonaPC©

I can't speak for for people with lower profile tyres (50 or below), but I generally run 36 front, 34 rear on my LZ Focus with 205/60 x 16 rubber. I have fairly even wear and have not rotated my tyres; I've done over 30,000km.

However, I think 31psi is too low and I would probably suggest pumping the pressure up to at least 34psi all round. Unless you're going to check your tyre pressures every couple of days or so, you need to allow some buffer between tyre pressure checks to avoid under-inflation. Under-inflation can cause your tyre walls to flex more and heat up possibly leading to a nasty surprise at highway speeds.

Don't go by the tyre placard either. Go with the tyre manufacturers recommended pressures to be certain.
CatonaPC© is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2018, 09:33 AM   #7
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I run 34-36 on my Focus with 205/60/16. Still on the original Michelin tyres at 52000 replacing at 54/55000.
I found 31 was a bit too floaty on the corrugated concrete road called the M1 here on the Gold Coast, at 34-36 it tends to sit higher and float (not the right expression) over the corrugations (made by 68 tonne b doubles) .
kevino is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post