Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 15-02-2017, 07:55 AM   #1
EmersonNZ
Starter Motor

Default Mondeo 2.0L Petrol EcoBoost or 2.0L Diesel TDCi

I'm after a bit of advice, opinions and/or experience.

I am looking at a new (2017) Mondeo and am trying to decide between the Diesel and Petrol. I'd be interested to know what people's thoughts are and opinions etc.

To add a bit of a thorn into the conversation the Diesel sounds like it might be difficult to get (i.e a month to 2 of more wait verse a few days for the petrol). Part of me wonders if that is because they were so popular or... Ford just stuffed up ordering.

Anyway... any help would be much appreciated.
EmersonNZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2017, 01:22 PM   #2
4dlvr
4dlvr

Default Re: Mondeo 2.0L Petrol EcoBoost or 2.0L Diesel TDCi

both are great. personal preference really.
4dlvr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 15-02-2017, 07:28 PM   #3
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Diesel if you're doing high kms, towing, carrying heavy loads and so on. Petrol if you like smooth and quiet, or like to drive "briskly" at times.

I know from having a Kuga rental for a few days that the Ecoboost is not that economical if you use the performance.

Sent from somewhere using Tapatalk
Old 15-02-2017, 08:50 PM   #4
gsd112
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a MD diesel. But have driven a few ecoboost MD trends and neither are fast. The diesel is brisk enough and its as quiet inside as the ecoboost but the ecoboost is slightly quicker but expect 9-10 litres per 100 out of the ecoboost if driving it hard and the diesel will be in the low 6s doing the same route driving it like you stole it. I would of never bought a diesel , mine is a company car but if I was to buy a MD Mondeo know it would be the diesel. But as said if you just drive to the shops etc go the ecoboost.
gsd112 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2017, 09:18 AM   #5
asteele-xr6

I've just come back to Ford with an awesome petrol Mondeo Titanium after having 4 years with a Peugeot 508GT which was a diesel. I did like the surge of torque that I had in the diesel, and it was able to do at least 1,000km on a tank of fuel - sometimes 1,500km if I was highway cruising.

Now back with a petrol engine in my Mondeo, I am very aware of having to refuel approx. every 500km or so, which is mighty tedious! Also, I don't have the surge of torque I was used to, and instead get lots of endless gear changes and lots of revs. With the diesel it also had 6 gears, but didn't seem to change gear anywhere nearly as much - and it certainly didn't rev up to 4K before spirited changes.

At the end of the day I would much rather have the petrol model, and the major reason to come back to Ford was the most sensible servicing costs, which were beyond ridiculous with thanks to Peugeot Australia.

Actually, the Ford dealer did tell me when we were deliberating which engine to have in the Mondeo that I would need to do 400,000km in a diesel when compare to a petrol in order to cover the extra costs, and it just wasn't worth it. If there was a bigger difference in the fuel prices like we had 15 years ago then it would be different.

Diesel costs extra with servicing too.

For my $0.02 worth, go the petrol!
asteele-xr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2017, 11:42 AM   #6
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by asteele-xr6 View Post
Actually, the Ford dealer did tell me when we were deliberating which engine to have in the Mondeo that I would need to do 400,000km in a diesel when compare to a petrol in order to cover the extra costs, and it just wasn't worth it. If there was a bigger difference in the fuel prices like we had 15 years ago then it would be different.

Diesel costs extra with servicing too.

For my $0.02 worth, go the petrol!
I think your dealer had too many petrol models!

I set up a spreadsheet to compare costs when I bought the MB, and the breakeven was at about 70,000 km. That was comparing the 2.3 l petrol, which was much cheaper then the diesel back then. Diesel prices were also higher relative to petrol at the time.

I expect the savings have been even better, as I regularly get under 6 l/100 km on trips.

Is there that much difference in servicing costs? I think the only additional item is the fuel filter, but then there are no spark plugs! Everything else is the same.