Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-08-2018, 09:56 AM   #1081
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 2018 Ranger Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
0-100km/h 10.4s - better hold on to your hat!

Thought I'd have a go.

For the love of Ford, get that RHD Explorer/Bronco and PETROL Ecoboost drivetrain here asap. And Lincoln Aviator. And F-Series. Make Australia Ford's Again!
You will be hangin in to your hat at the 10.4 sec mark and probably soiling yourself by the 20 sec mark if you have the balls to take it to it’s limit off-road.

Keep on dreamin though.
chrisandsharon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2018, 10:37 AM   #1082
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

10.4 is a second slower than my works automatic diesel i.30s they have been buying lately! Yep the new 7 speed dct in those do about 9.5.
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2018, 11:05 AM   #1083
happy1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Has anyone in AUS taken delivery yet of their new RR? It must be a few weeks ago since the production started, so first load can't be far away now.
happy1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 02-08-2018, 11:50 AM   #1084
articulatedsphinx

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy1 View Post
Has anyone in AUS taken delivery yet of their new RR? It must be a few weeks ago since the production started, so first load can't be far away now.

First lot gets produced in September and delivered round October. Dealers will get demo units soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
articulatedsphinx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2018, 12:23 PM   #1085
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDManual View Post
10.4 is a second slower than my works automatic diesel i.30s they have been buying lately! Yep the new 7 speed dct in those do about 9.5.
Add the Raptors 1 tonne of extra weight to the Korean and see how good she goes - if she goes

Last edited by chrisandsharon; 02-08-2018 at 12:37 PM.
Old 02-08-2018, 04:33 PM   #1086
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
This, this, so much this. The shift is away from diesel and if it isn't burned customers with DPF nightmares or AdBlue, it's going to be worldwide regulation that does it.

https://www.caradvice.com.au/671488/...ration-switch/

Some tales of woe in the comments section regarding the DPFs as an example. Stopping every 300km and letting it do its thing for 1/2 hour sounds like electric car convenience, not endless reliable running hours.

Might be the case with passenger vehicles, but diesels are not being phased out in commercial vehicles any time soon.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-08-2018, 06:02 PM   #1087
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Might be the case with passenger vehicles, but diesels are not being phased out in commercial vehicles any time soon.
Yep.

Fuel rebates.
It's why I have a smile when I read about farmers wanting ecoboost and f150's. Not a chance.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2018, 06:38 PM   #1088
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
You can, the 2020 Explorer is RWD and on CD6.

Earlier this year, Peter Fleet head of Ford Asia Pacific was in Detroit
sounding out a diesel F150 for our region (RHD)
The part in red was my aim...RHD...or are you being
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2018, 10:46 PM   #1089
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
It's about 200kg heavier than a Wildtrak from the article I read. So it will be slower.
I was wondering how much heavier the raptor was. The bash plates on it alone are thick as.
Wildtrack with the 2l should be interesting.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:37 AM   #1090
RANGEREST
Same ****-Different Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt View Post
I was wondering how much heavier the raptor was. The bash plates on it alone are thick as.
Wildtrack with the 2l should be interesting.
2332 for the Raptor and 2250 for the Wildtrak,
according to the FoA website.
UA2 Everest Trend 2.0lt
RANGEREST is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2018, 08:45 PM   #1091
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith View Post
The part in red was my aim...RHD...or are you being
not hinting ay anything but,
With Ford's Rest of the World profits folding up like a circus tent, I think it's time
for Ford USA to come back to FoA with what works and what makes more profit.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2018, 09:52 PM   #1092
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Bullet View Post
This whole power thing is out of control...

It's faster than a normal ranger and I have never, ever read one article that says a ranger is too slow for overtaking so better buy a Colorado.
That may be because a lot of people who buy a standard ute don't care about performance as much as someone buying a huge, tough looking beast that can fly offroad and is marketed as 'performance ute'

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
really?

if performance is such an important criteria, why is Colorado and amarok not further up the sales charts?

Because Colorados are horrible and Amaroks are made by VW who don't have the best reputation. Plus see my point above about regular utes VS performance utes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
buy one, or don't buy one, but please shut up with the moaning.
There is a little X in the top right corner if you don't like different opinions. Forums like this should encourage discussion. It would be boring if everyone agreed.
No need to take it personally if someone has a different opinion about a car.

As for people here saying anyone who has a criticism for the Raptor would never buy one anyway so there opinion doesn't matter, well I have a couple of criticisms but I would still love to buy one. I love 95% of it. That remaining 5% is important though. I'm not saying I wouldn't compromise and settle for the small engine, but I won't be rushing out to order one.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-08-2018, 10:40 PM   #1093
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

2.0 diesel doesn't sound like performance, and sure, this isn't a drag car, but they weren't building a drag car, they were building something for off road performance. From the few reports starting to come through from those who have driven them, they do that damn well.

I get most people who buy a 4wd never take them out of the city, so sure, it's good to have something fast at the lights to get to 30 before you slam on the brakes for the next red light, but I'm glad they're building something that's capable off road out of the box. Every car is starting to look the same. It's nice to see something a little different.
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2018, 10:47 PM   #1094
prydey
Rob

whilst I am very much in the 'on road performance is not what this ute is about' camp, does anyone have any figures on rolling performance?

considering its slightly heavier than normal ranger, standing performance will be compromised slightly. considering the power and torque curves that were posted showing the 2L is better than the 3.2L for pretty much the entire rev range for power and torque, surely this would equate to equal or better rolling performance, esp with the 10sp box keeping it in the sweet spot.

I realise there have been comments from at least one journo having a crack at the overtaking power, but some journo's just can't write an article without finding at least something negative to say about a ford (dowling).
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2018, 11:46 AM   #1095
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

What's even worse, he called it a car....

Idiot.

I get the feeling that some here were expecting Ranger Raptor to be more like
the F150 lightning package offered a few years ago... Something like a lowered
supercharged or turbocharged petrol V6 /V8 that was a real "canyon carver".....
Ford should be looking at Jeep GC Track Hawk but the price of that thing is 2xRR

Currently trying to find out a bit more about the 3.0 Ecoboost planned for Explorer,
I'm sure that will be the gun engine in Bronco and possibly a future Ranger Raptor.
At present 2.7 EB V6 in F150 has 330 HP/400 lb ft so a 3.0 EB V6 should be at least
10% more power and torque...probably the equivalent of an older 2017 3.5 EB V6
pretty much XR6T power level....

Last edited by jpd80; 04-08-2018 at 12:02 PM.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-08-2018, 08:19 PM   #1096
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisandsharon View Post
You will be hangin in to your hat at the 10.4 sec mark and probably soiling yourself by the 20 sec mark if you have the balls to take it to it’s limit off-road.

Keep on dreamin though.
Here's the base model diesel V8 Cruiser doing 8.92:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQIeRVkdpsQ

If I'm dreamin it's for a top spec one of these!
Old 05-08-2018, 09:59 PM   #1097
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

200kw and 650nm will do that! Having had a 200 series, they’re a formidable piece of gear.
3 users like this post:
Old 06-08-2018, 10:01 PM   #1098
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

V8 diesels sound so tough with a mild exhaust mod.

I wonder how many Landcruisers would be around if they were a bit cheaper. You see so many around for something that cost between 80 and 120k
Old 07-08-2018, 01:06 PM   #1099
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

https://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-ne...-ar182034.html
Old 07-08-2018, 07:58 PM   #1100
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The diesel Cruiser is a powerhouse, but tbh my pick would be the 4.6 petrol V8. (silence ensues)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgSKkybbVDQ

Listen to that! Glorious. I've always enjoyed the rev of NA petrol autos on sand, and my rock hopping, remote Oz radio tower work days doing heaps of kms are over. In the 200 series case, I reckon maintenance would be a lot more simple, less to go wrong, and they depreciate that much more quickly, giving rise to a cheaper Cruiser as Ben73 said.

Have no doubt the Raptor will be a bit of a cult item in the bush, it seems to be going for that fast cruising niche the old Outback utes did, bit with way more capability.
Old 07-08-2018, 08:23 PM   #1101
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Another example of ‘let them eat cake’. The argument that Australian’s prefer small capacity turbo Diesel engines is disingenuous. There’s no comparisons Ford can make as they don’t sell Ecoboost Rangers or F150’s in Australia.

Petrol is 20-30cpl cheaper than diesel. New turbo petrol engines make good power, torque and can be frugal on fuel. The merits of diesel are evaporating quickly.
3 users like this post:
Old 07-08-2018, 09:10 PM   #1102
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulus View Post
Another example of ‘let them eat cake’. The argument that Australian’s prefer small capacity turbo Diesel engines is disingenuous. There’s no comparisons Ford can make as they don’t sell Ecoboost Rangers or F150’s in Australia.

Petrol is 20-30cpl cheaper than diesel. New turbo petrol engines make good power, torque and can be frugal on fuel. The merits of diesel are evaporating quickly.
That may be the case Romulus but, I’d still go the diesel even if the petrol was offered. I wouldn’t buy it, wouldn’t look at one. I’m one of the winners with this set up and it’s unfortunate there has to be losers - FORD can’t please everyone. I’ve had everything from Suzuki’s to landcruisers and utes, and I’ve spent a rediculous amount of money modifying 2 of the landcruisers from the shell for outback travel. I’ve had my cake in the off-road scene and I’ve had a ball doing it. Waste of money truth be told but we all waste money on something.

My choice to perhaps purchase a future Raptor is decided on all the trips I’ve done over the years and the trips I’d like to do in the future. The RR isn’t going to lay 30 foot rooster tails off the dunes like the 3.5 TT V6 F150R, but it has more than enough power for what I want and uses bugger all fuel for its 2.4 tonne weight.

How much do you think a 3.5TT V6 Ranger Raptor would cost? A rough estimate. Would it be viable for FORD?
Old 07-08-2018, 09:27 PM   #1103
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah Sprintey we had the 100 V8 petrol and that V8 engine was up there with the I6T for smoothness. Absolutely gorgeous motor. Half the time it would be idling and you’d sometimes be caught out if sitting long enough thinking it was turned off. Was a lounge chair on wheels. We had the pleasure of hitting the Northern Territory twice with it and that V8 was just awesome on the big open road. It’s weight/stance/suspension just sat beautifully on the road.
Only down side was the fuel. Unladen it was using 15L/100km.
Old 07-08-2018, 09:44 PM   #1104
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The diesel Cruiser is a powerhouse, but tbh my pick would be the 4.6 petrol V8. (silence ensues)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgSKkybbVDQ

Listen to that! Glorious. I've always enjoyed the rev of NA petrol autos on sand, and my rock hopping, remote Oz radio tower work days doing heaps of kms are over. In the 200 series case, I reckon maintenance would be a lot more simple, less to go wrong, and they depreciate that much more quickly, giving rise to a cheaper Cruiser as Ben73 said.
I drove a 4.7L V8 200 series. I was unimpressed with the acceleration rate, but I did hop straight out of a 300c V8 into the Cruiser so that may have skewed my perception on acceptable acceleration a little.
That video says the 4.6 does the sprint in 9 seconds. Not bad for a beast of that size. Oh and the sound is amazing. I still prefer the sound of a petrol V8 over a diesel v8.

Quote:
V6 diesel wouldn't have been bad though.
Would use not much more fuel than a 4.
2 users like this post:
Old 07-08-2018, 09:49 PM   #1105
78xcgxl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Considering the ridiculous profit margin and cheap manufacturing on dual cab utes like the ranger. I'm sure Ford has plenty of cash in the bank to make a petrol or v6 power stroke ranger possible.....
78xcgxl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-08-2018, 10:34 PM   #1106
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

why though, when only six people on this forum want one?
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-08-2018, 10:39 PM   #1107
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Your logic is flawed as it assumes every Ranger buyer is on this forum.
2 users like this post:
Old 07-08-2018, 11:04 PM   #1108
78xcgxl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
So your telling me if Ford offered a ranger with a 3.0L V6 powerstroke diesel along side the 2.0L 4cyl BI turbo. The 4cylinder would sell more. Please. Look at amarok sales since the V6 was introduced...... Capacity and power sells....
78xcgxl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2018, 07:29 AM   #1109
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78xcgxl View Post
So your telling me if Ford offered a ranger with a 3.0L V6 powerstroke diesel along side the 2.0L 4cyl BI turbo. The 4cylinder would sell more. Please. Look at amarok sales since the V6 was introduced...... Capacity and power sells....
i think he meant petrol.

Just for some insight, the 2.7V6 Ecoboost petrol in a 7 seater Edge is averaging 16L/100km as a daily, no real highway driving....
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2018, 07:49 AM   #1110
Hemihunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Fake news !
Hemihunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post