Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-07-2018, 05:33 PM   #901
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 2018 Ranger Raptor

Feel free to add

You’re - you are going
Your - your car
To - let’s go to the shops
Too - that is too hot, it’s too steep, it’s too shallow
Their - that is their house, their horse, their car
There - the horse is over there
They’re - they’re not that far away
You’re - you’re wrong

No I’m not smart, and no I didn’t, I did not finish school. Just a few pointers.

chrisandsharon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 18-07-2018, 05:36 PM   #902
FlipXW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
If Ford put a petrol engine in the Raptor all you whingers would then complain about the fuel economy.

Just need something to complain about I guess. Some people are never pleased.
Not me. I was very much in the market but was not impressed by the engine choice at all. I’ve just put down a deposit for an SRT Jeep. When someone offers a dual cab with a decent engine I’ll be back. So yes they have lost at least one potential sale and I’m sure I’m not the only one. I usually defend Ford but this one they did get wrong imo. This isn’t the 90’s anymore turbo petrols can be very economical even in 4x4s.
FlipXW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-07-2018, 05:58 PM   #903
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

It cant pull a big van so it wont attract new buyers from that market, its too expensive for a tradies ute so it wont attract new buyers from that market.
It will sell to those who up until now and into the future would have bought Wildtracks essentially canabilising its own numbers.

Wait 12 months and look at the numbers, my bet is they wont increase due to this example.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2018, 06:22 PM   #904
boss351290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman1 View Post
Rubbish, you’re wrong !!

There is no RHD Ranger with a petrol engine that has been developed for this model year, let alone one for Raptor in RHD or LHD.
Your not understanding what I am trying to say. It would be easy for Ford to test the waters as development has been done. Now I’m not an engineer and I don’t know how different the us rangers are. I believe there is not much difference and the Thailand factory make both lhd and rhd. The raptor will also come out in the us so I think that market will get a hi-Po 2.3 eco boost. Our raptor is similar to the us version as it has coil springs and 4 wheel disc brakes. Any way I hope that petrol model comes to Australia. Time will tell. I can only hope.
boss351290 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-07-2018, 06:33 PM   #905
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss351290 View Post
Your not understanding what I am trying to say. It would be easy for Ford to test the waters as development has been done. Now I’m not an engineer and I don’t know how different the us rangers are. I believe there is not much difference and the Thailand factory make both lhd and rhd. The raptor will also come out in the us so I think that market will get a hi-Po 2.3 eco boost. Our raptor is similar to the us version as it has coil springs and 4 wheel disc brakes. Any way I hope that petrol model comes to Australia. Time will tell. I can only hope.

You don’t understand.

There is NO US Ranger Raptor.

The Americans are on record saying it is something they will look at the future, but there is no such thing in the short to medium term.
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 18-07-2018, 06:43 PM   #906
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

My take is that Raptor sales will most likely displace previous FX-4 sales nit Wildtrak...
Either way, Raptor doesn't live or die on what Australian market sales are.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 18-07-2018, 06:50 PM   #907
boss351290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman1 View Post
You don’t understand.

There is NO US Ranger Raptor.

The Americans are on record saying it is something they will look at the future, but there is no such thing in the short to medium term.
Ok that’s fine
Old 18-07-2018, 06:56 PM   #908
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Ok that’s fine
Maybe if / when that happens we’ll something a little more palatable to the knockers here ?
Old 18-07-2018, 07:00 PM   #909
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
It cant pull a big van so it wont attract new buyers from that market, its too expensive for a tradies ute so it wont attract new buyers from that market.
It will sell to those who up until now and into the future would have bought Wildtracks essentially canabilising its own numbers.
More like FX-4 buyers.....
You are correct though, a $74K Ute has a very small market with a very specific buyer.
Maybe the diesel is not quite right for our market but I'm sure that enough high end buyers
will lease one for three or four years and then get the one they are waiting for...
3 users like this post:
Old 18-07-2018, 07:09 PM   #910
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
More like FX-4 buyers.....
You are correct though, a $74K Ute has a very small market with a very specific buyer.
No doubt, though i could see a few Wildtrack owners going the extra mile for one just to be different to the pack.
I cant see your 2.2 highrider XL tradie running the numbers past the bean counter though.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2018, 07:34 PM   #911
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Of course not but then they are not the intended market either...
Remember that most of these high end vehicles are bought as user chooser novated leases

Last edited by jpd80; 18-07-2018 at 07:39 PM.
4 users like this post:
Old 18-07-2018, 07:44 PM   #912
boss351290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That looks like a left hand drive raptor to me.

Last edited by boss351290; 17-01-2019 at 06:25 PM.
Old 18-07-2018, 07:45 PM   #913
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
That looks like a left hand drive raptor to me.
With a Diesel engine
2 users like this post:
Old 18-07-2018, 07:52 PM   #914
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Re Ecoboost Ranger,
Keep in mind the timing of the development of the US Ranger and it's 2.3 Ecoboost engine
came after the final refresh of Gen 1 Ranger was locked in, Ford couldn't change it now
even if they wanted to. So there was never a plan to sell 2.0 EB or 2.3 EB in the ROW
Old 18-07-2018, 08:15 PM   #915
RANGEREST
Same ****-Different Day

Regarding the cannibalism of Ranger sales, IMHO it'll be XLT sales that will suffer, albeit insignificanly. There's plenty of guys I've seen out on the trails that have spent way more than 75k on their setups.
I'd hazard a guess Ford are aiming at low volume?
But hard core 4x4ers will buy them.(I'd have bought one a few years ago when I was a keen 4wd'er, and might again once the kids are a bit older(sport runs our lives at the present)
UA2 Everest Trend 2.0lt
RANGEREST is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2018, 08:42 PM   #916
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisandsharon View Post
Feel free to add

You’re - you are going
Your - your car
To - let’s go to the shops
Too - that is too hot, it’s too steep, it’s too shallow
Their - that is their house, their horse, their car
There - the horse is over there
They’re - they’re not that far away
You’re - you’re wrong

No I’m not smart, and no I didn’t, I did not finish school. Just a few pointers.

just for you on facebook......Analytical Grammar/Grammar Planet
Old 18-07-2018, 08:44 PM   #917
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGEREST View Post
But hard core 4x4ers will buy them.(I'd have bought one a few years ago when I was a keen 4wd'er, and might again once the kids are a bit older(sport ruins our lives at the present)
see what I did there.....
Old 19-07-2018, 08:06 AM   #918
articulatedsphinx

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGEREST View Post
Regarding the cannibalism of Ranger sales, IMHO it'll be XLT sales that will suffer, albeit insignificanly. There's plenty of guys I've seen out on the trails that have spent way more than 75k on their setups.
I'd hazard a guess Ford are aiming at low volume?
But hard core 4x4ers will buy them.(I'd have bought one a few years ago when I was a keen 4wd'er, and might again once the kids are a bit older(sport runs our lives at the present)
For those of you wondering what ford's strategy here is a great video. Not only is it a great walkaround of the Raptor it has some good ford inside info.

This is a short video in new zealand, where the Director of Marketing for Ford NZ specifically talks for around 2 minutes about their strategy with the raptor. I get the feeling they don't particularly care about initial sales. He talks about their target market and supply expectations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H63Yox4aUqM

Last edited by articulatedsphinx; 19-07-2018 at 08:11 AM.
articulatedsphinx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2018, 08:14 AM   #919
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
just for you on facebook......Analytical Grammar/Grammar Planet
Cheers Tonz - never used FB but from what I’ve seen there are plenty of narcissistic muppets that should stay off it. Great tool for business/emergency use.
Old 19-07-2018, 09:07 AM   #920
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The 2.3 ecoboost engine is an awesome bit of gear but personally I’d still be choosing the diesel even if the ecoboost is eventually offered. The 2.3 is running 233Kw/433Nm and the 2.0 is 157Kw/500Nm. The torque is nearing Amaroks V6.

Correct me if I’m wrong but I believe the 2.3 has to run a minimum octane of 95? If it does then good luck at times in remote areas sourcing it - We rocked up to a remote community in WA and there were 3 petrol vehicles that had been there for 3 days waiting for the fuel truck. It was probably only 91 anyway.
I was running a 400ci turbo diesel V8 in a shorty 40 that they all thought was the fuel truck coming into camp (exhaust was a 1 metre side pipe ). They were all very disappointed when they raced across.

If the Raptor will be used to see every corner of Oz then the diesel is a no brainer. The 2 litre will have more power than you’ll need through that 10 speed and it will use bugger all fuel which is great when travelling. Once off road the 33” tyres under the FOX suspension will be a blast.

Personally I think it’s the best balanced dual cab ute that Oz has seen.
I can hear the coffee grinder goin - time to get outa bed. Goin campin for a week and just had half a tonne of wood delivered that I’ve got to stack in the trailer woohoo - stuff huntin for wood in winter I say
Old 19-07-2018, 10:40 AM   #921
articulatedsphinx

The US rangers are much different than the ROW (rest of world), they need to meet US crash standards.

The frame instead of C rail is a complete box frame, and it has steel front and rear bumpers. In addition it is optioned differently (to a higher standard) and has a lot of other differences. I’ll see if I can find a list.

Even the most basic engine in the US is still more than the top spec Australian engine.

https://social.ford.com/en_US/story/...rd-ranger.html
articulatedsphinx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2018, 11:01 AM   #922
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Quote:
Correct me if I’m wrong but I believe the 2.3 has to run a minimum octane of 95? If it does then good luck at times in remote areas sourcing it - We rocked up to a remote community in WA and there were 3 petrol vehicles that had been there for 3 days waiting for the fuel truck. It was probably only 91 anyway.
I have the 2.3L Ecobeast and it can run on 91, with a slight loss in performance and economy.
95 is the recommended and it develops the 233Kw on this tested by Ford.

98 puts the 2.3L in another league and going from 91 to 98, it makes 47 more horsepower at the rear wheels (in a Mustang), which is 35rwhp.

So I fill up on RON98.
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2018, 11:45 AM   #923
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The 2.3 ecoboost engine is an awesome bit of gear but personally I’d still be choosing the diesel even if the ecoboost is eventually offered. The 2.3 is running 233Kw/433Nm and the 2.0 is 157Kw/500Nm. The torque is nearing Amaroks V6.

I was running a 400ci turbo diesel V8 in a shorty 40 that they all thought was the fuel truck coming into camp (exhaust was a 1 metre side pipe ). They were all very disappointed when they raced across.

If the Raptor will be used to see every corner of Oz then the diesel is a no brainer. The 2 litre will have more power than you’ll need through that 10 speed and it will use bugger all fuel which is great when travelling. Once off road the 33” tyres under the FOX suspension will be a blast.
For all the negatives of petrol availability in remote outback areas, there is a flip side to running diesel. These late model high pressure common rail diesel engines are extremely susceptible to poor diesel quality. Correct me if I'm wrong, but these engines are designed to run on ULSD. You're at the mercy of the service station owner keep fuel tanks clean and replacing the dispenser fuel filters on a regular basis. Trust me, I work in the fuel industry, the only time the filters are replaced is when the pumps stop flowing diesel at a fast enough rate.

You'd want to make sure you have a good fuel filtration system in the Ranger with some of the junk fuel around.
Old 19-07-2018, 02:00 PM   #924
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO FURTHER View Post
I have the 2.3L Ecobeast and it can run on 91, with a slight loss in performance and economy.
95 is the recommended and it develops the 233Kw on this tested by Ford.

98 puts the 2.3L in another league and going from 91 to 98, it makes 47 more horsepower at the rear wheels (in a Mustang), which is 35rwhp.

So I fill up on RON98.
I would too GF - I’d never run 91 period, ever. Is a beautiful motor.
Old 19-07-2018, 02:05 PM   #925
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Agree Romulus- we did carry and used the filters when we were travelling in remote areas. Takes a big longer but is worth it. I still have my old filter in the garage.
A few communities now have the new drop and go set up running straight off a generator and many of the tanks now are excellent quality - we have the same for our remote work stations.

Edit - the filters we used also filtered any water which was what I was more concerned about.
2 users like this post:
Old 19-07-2018, 02:33 PM   #926
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Just proving your ignorance here. There is no RHD 2.3. Would require a lot of work to get it done. Moving the steering rack and brake booster to the other side would require a lot of design work to get it all to fit around the 2.3.

Which then all requires re-testing. And re-certification on australian fuels and standards. Plus crash testing.

Should only cost about three fiddy right?

And the US version is significantly different.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 19-07-2018, 06:29 PM   #927
boss351290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Just proving your ignorance here. There is no RHD 2.3. Would require a lot of work to get it done. Moving the steering rack and brake booster to the other side would require a lot of design work to get it all to fit around the 2.3.

Which then all requires re-testing. And re-certification on australian fuels and standards. Plus crash testing.

Should only cost about three fiddy right?

And the US version is significantly different.
Yes I am ignorant. That’s why I drive a Xr8 sprint manual. Not a diesel junk box. If ford do a turbo petrol raptor then I would look at one. But never a diesel.
Old 19-07-2018, 07:20 PM   #928
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Seriously, this is a run to the finish as far as GEN 1 T6
is concerned. Why would Ford expend resources and
funding on a V6 so close to the end of this product cycle
when they are already deep into the development of next
gen Ranger?

I’ve been following engine options for RWD Explorer and
PI UTE version arriving the middle of next year - 3.3 V6,
3.3 V6 Hybrid, V6 Ecoboost ....... it on the cards that we’ll
see something to wet the appetite in 2021. Until then FOA
will trade on diesel popularity
3 users like this post:
Old 19-07-2018, 07:44 PM   #929
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Does anyone know what the weight difference is between the 2.0/10Speed Combo versus the 3.2/6Speed?
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2018, 09:35 AM   #930
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
Does anyone know what the weight difference is between the 2.0/10Speed Combo versus the 3.2/6Speed?
The 2.0 Panther is an alloy block and head so count on around 100 kg
Difference all over the front wheels so should handle much better