Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-05-2016, 01:42 AM   #31
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Mark2 Ford Zephyr

whats the difference between the little zephyr and the ford consul ? i have a vague recollection of blowing up a ford consul out in the sticks as a young tacker, it even kept going for a short while after it went bang and we had heard the tinkle of bits of engine bouncing along the road, (sorry about that chaps ) .
not the cars fault , we where totally abusing it.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2016, 08:23 AM   #32
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
whats the difference between the little zephyr and the ford consul ?
For Mk1 & Mk2 the Consul had a 4-cyl engine while the Zephyr had a 6-cyl engine. The other main differences between them was that the Consul's wheelbase was shorter & had a different grille

AFAIK for Mk3 the 4-cyl & the 6-cyl versions were both badged as Zephyrs.

Dr Terry
Dr Terry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2016, 09:21 AM   #33
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=Dr Terry. AFAIK for Mk3 the 4-cyl & the 6-cyl versions were both badged as Zephyrs. Dr Terry[/QUOTE]

Aust Mk3s were only in 6 cyl. The 4 cyl became the Consul Cortina in UK, Cortina in Aust.

I had a '57 Mk2, after a lot of mods it went like the clappers, with a great sound (for its day), but problem was that the 4 bearing crankshaft engine didn't last, nor did the gearbox.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-05-2016, 09:58 AM   #34
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lra View Post

Aust Mk3s were only in 6 cyl. The 4 cyl became the Consul Cortina in UK, Cortina in Aust.

I had a '57 Mk2, after a lot of mods it went like the clappers, with a great sound (for its day), but problem was that the 4 bearing crankshaft engine didn't last, nor did the gearbox.
AFAIK Ford Aust didn't build any MK3s here, they were at full capacity building Falcons, Compact Fairlanes, Anglias & the new (Consul) Cortina.

The Mk3s sold here were built in NZ. As you say 'our' Mk3s here were only 6-cyl, but in NZ & the UK the 4-cyl version of the Mk3 was badged & sold as the Zephyr 4 & was sold alongside the Mk1 Cortina.

Dr Terry
Dr Terry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 14-05-2016, 10:55 AM   #35
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok thanks for the replies guys.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2016, 10:46 AM   #36
Morjen
Twin Carb

Hi all My brother once owned and showed this MK2 ,
sold it to a dealer in Thornbury Vic in the late 80's

He is now on the search to find it and buy it back if he can.

If anyone knows its where about's he would be interested.

He was also a member of the ford Zepher Zodiac Consul Car Club, but they haven't even acknowledged his recent email request.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/photos/...439389&cat=500
Morjen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2016, 01:17 PM   #37
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Bullet View Post
We had one on the farm when I was a kid. It was in perfect condition but it didn't run. It sat under a lean-to next to the shearing shed about 40km from the house, so I never saw it much.
I remember paying a visit to it one day in an attempt to get it going. I can distinctly recall it had a push button 3? speed auto. We never got it running probably luckily as we would have used it as a paddock bomb knowing us kids, much better than the FC Holdens we had.

I wonder if it's still there next to the shearing shed.
It would be in perfect nick if it was.
Wouldn't have been a Zephyr if it was push button auto.The push buttons were on Chrysler Royals and R series through to AP 6 Valiants
Tassie f100 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2016, 10:12 PM   #38
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morjen View Post
Hi all My brother once owned and showed this MK2 ,
sold it to a dealer in Thornbury Vic in the late 80's

He is now on the search to find it and buy it back if he can.

If anyone knows its where about's he would be interested.

He was also a member of the ford Zepher Zodiac Consul Car Club, but they haven't even acknowledged his recent email request.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/photos/...439389&cat=500
Morjen,

I asked a mate of mine who has been a member of the ZZOC for years, he doesn't know the car.

"Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die, tragedy is when I get a paper cut"
nuthin' fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2016, 11:26 AM   #39
zeuss000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nothing like having the 3 speed gear linkages getting out of sync and locking up then getting underneath to untangle them in the dark miles from nowhere.
That brought back some memories, you could get pretty fast at sorting the linkages out when sitting at the lights in heavy traffic, that's when mine seemed to always tangle.
zeuss000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2016, 03:03 PM   #40
last fairlane
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

re Mk11 Zephyr Ive had maybe 5 or 6 of them and an assortment of Mk1s
the first thing we did as a youngster in the sixties was go to the wreckers and buy Wolesley 680 headlight rims they were a direct bolt on fit which gave you chrome headlight rims and the next was to cut the engine pipe in half and weld the end up and get a Consul engine pipe join them together and you had a set of headers and twin system with Lukeys or hot dogs and christ they had a beautiful note better than any Holden or Falcon could get
also when I met the Mrs in 1967 I had a Mk1 Zephyr Ive still got the Mrs
but I wish I still had the Zephyr
just my memories John
last fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-12-2018, 03:41 PM   #41
Tezbo-BAXR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geodetic View Post
Hi Everyone,
I have just purchased a Mark2 Zephyr Sedan. It is in very good order however how do I check the build date. I was told it was a 59 or 60 build.
Any help would be appreciated.
Geodetic
Hi Everyone,
I am looking for a Mk 2 Zephyr sedan for a project car. I am located in Melbourne, but prepared to travel to go and pick up a car if I can find one, as I plan to build a Zephyr in Zodiac paint theme, 2 tone. If anyone has any ideas about disc brake conversions, I would be very interested, as I would like to avoid using holden parts. i'm not sure if it is possible to use late model Cortina discs and calipers on a Mk 2 Zephyr, but I'd be i'd like to find out if is possible.

Regards,

Tez.

Hail the Mk 2 Zephyr!
Tezbo-BAXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2018, 03:56 PM   #42
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

PM sent

"Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die, tragedy is when I get a paper cut"
nuthin' fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2019, 01:11 PM   #43
Tezbo-BAXR8

Arrow Re: Mark2 Ford Zephyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geodetic View Post
Hi Everyone,
I have just purchased a Mark2 Zephyr Sedan. It is in very good order however how do I check the build date. I was told it was a 59 or 60 build.
Any help would be appreciated.
Geodetic
Hi, I'm looking for a Zephyr Mk 2 sedan or wagon in reasonable condition as a project car. If anyone has any clues where I can find one, could you please call me and let me know. I am located in Melbourne, but prepared to travel to bring a Mk 2 Zephyr home. My contact number is 0433 907 108

Kind Regards,

Terry Fearn
Wantirna, Vic
Old 10-01-2019, 10:18 PM   #44
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My dad had three Zephyrs ..The first one was a 1953 Mk 1 , the second one was a 1961 Mk 2 and the third one was also a Mk 2 . Wasn't a runner but he bought it for parts . The one i remember vividly was the two tone grey one I learned to drive in . She had the 155 c.i straight 6 , three on the tree with a propensity of jamming from time to time , vacuum wipers , no radio , a heater that'd roast a chicken and a turning circle akin to the Queen Mary ..oh yes and an oil bath air cleaner .

Dad ended up buying a HX Kingswood with intentions of restoring the Zephyr one day but never did . He ended up selling the light grey with dark grey roof and the non running red one after they sat around for years . My cousin had a white Mk 3 (1965 or 66 I think) too .

I love the old Zephyr's..They had character ...
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2019, 12:19 PM   #45
Tezbo-BAXR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by qdda5 View Post
I had one as my first car. 4 on the tree. Outstanding!!!! Good luck with the sale. Plenty of history there.
Hi Ladies and Gents,
I am looking for a Zephyr Mk 11 sedan, so if any one knows of any that are for sale within Australia (because importing from England is way too expensive) please let me know, as I am looking for a Mk 11 Zephyr for a project car. My phone number is 0433 907 108/Home (03) 8845-7148

Kind Regards,

Tez.