Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-01-2019, 05:53 PM   #31
sewingman
Starter Motor

Default Re: Too slow buddy. Cop that.

Like most laws, and I do have a number of customers whom are highway patrol officers have been tole to concentrate on high speeders and drink drivers. Forget the lack of use of using blinkers and pulling out of give ways signs ETC. They are so annoyed but as they say, we are only officers, not sargents and above
sewingman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2019, 11:20 PM   #32
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good.
Driving the Golden Highway regularly I get sick of people driving slow for no clear reason. You know the ones doing up to 40 below the limit will be doing 115 as soon as a overtaking lane appears.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 18-01-2019, 12:27 AM   #33
.:4:.
Kicking back

On the freeways im a big fan of cruise control. Mainly because i dont have to worry about speeding as much, but it is annoying slowing for a car in front and overtaking for them to overtake later then slow down again. And when its a repeat thing. Cruise control in a manual i think is weird and my ute is a manual with cruise and its weird but it works good when its only rolling hills and flats.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2019, 01:54 PM   #34
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
Good.
Driving the Golden Highway regularly I get sick of people driving slow for no clear reason. You know the ones doing up to 40 below the limit will be doing 115 as soon as a overtaking lane appears.
Got to love that Golden Hwy, maybe they slow down cause it is often frequented by large troops (pun) of kangaroos especially around the Singleton army base.

There is a commute I sometimes do over the Warby Ranges west from Wangaratta (Vic) and in the morning its not one you want to drive at the speed limit for good reason. Heavy bushland close to the hwy full of wildlife but its still a 100km zone.
Easy to tell when driving it who the tourist are.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2019, 02:01 PM   #35
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It rained (slightly) in Melbourne this morning. a few were doing 80kph on the peninsula freeway as a result.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2019, 04:22 PM   #36
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
It rained (slightly) in Melbourne this morning. a few were doing 80kph on the peninsula freeway as a result.
Probably in older RWD cars, road is slipperier when it first starts raining.

Old 18-01-2019, 04:38 PM   #37
sewingman
Starter Motor

Prefer rear wheel drive cars to front wheel drive...I still have the steering
sewingman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 20-01-2019, 09:04 PM   #38
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Got to love that Golden Hwy, maybe they slow down cause it is often frequented by large troops (pun) of kangaroos especially around the Singleton army base.

There is a commute I sometimes do over the Warby Ranges west from Wangaratta (Vic) and in the morning its not one you want to drive at the speed limit for good reason. Heavy bushland close to the hwy full of wildlife but its still a 100km zone.
Easy to tell when driving it who the tourist are.

Sure some people drive slow because of roos, those people continue driving slow when the overtaking lane appears. I have no issues with these people. But some others doing 30 below see an overtaking lane and speed up to 115+ Do these people think Kangaroos do not hang out in two lane sections?

Just west of Merriwa has been real bad for these people lately. The further east you go, the higher people's average speed seems to be.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-01-2019, 10:44 PM   #39
stock1991
Limited supply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post

But some others doing 30 below see an overtaking lane and speed up to 115+ Do these people think Kangaroos do not hang out in two lane sections?

Like you I have no issue if people want to drive under the speed limit. I adjust my speed accordingly and keep a safe distance but when the overtaking lane comes up and they speed up to the limit or even slightly over, I get annoyed. It's like they don't want to be overtaken but then slow down again when it becomes a single lane. I've noticed it so much it's not isolated to a few drivers
stock1991 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 21-01-2019, 08:55 AM   #40
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Driving for an extended time at 28kph under the speed limit .. unless there is an obvious reason you should expect to be pulled over and questioned.
If its daylight, good weather conditions, good road, not towing and a modern vehicle, no qualified driver should have an an excuse for traveling this slow.
If you are travelling this slow, you have some issue that requires investigation; eg. vehicle in poor maintenance, driver under the influence, driver has medical issues, etc.
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2019, 05:57 PM   #41
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by stock1991 View Post
Like you I have no issue if people want to drive under the speed limit. I adjust my speed accordingly and keep a safe distance but when the overtaking lane comes up and they speed up to the limit or even slightly over, I get annoyed. It's like they don't want to be overtaken but then slow down again when it becomes a single lane. I've noticed it so much it's not isolated to a few drivers
I encountered this a few times on the Pacific Hwy in the motorhome sitting on 100 rounding up caravanners between Urunga and Clybucca doing 80km/h, until they see an overtaking lane, speed up and don't want me to pass. WTF I thought the first time it happened.
Problems probably solved now with all the roadwork up that way.

Old 21-01-2019, 06:14 PM   #42
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzJavelin View Post
Driving for an extended time at 28kph under the speed limit .. unless there is an obvious reason you should expect to be pulled over and questioned.
If its daylight, good weather conditions, good road, not towing and a modern vehicle, no qualified driver should have an an excuse for traveling this slow.
If you are travelling this slow, you have some issue that requires investigation; eg. vehicle in poor maintenance, driver under the influence, driver has medical issues, etc.
But it wasn't, it was at 9:40pm and for all we know there may have been roo's around.
Are police suggesting that its safe to continue doing 100km/hr at night in the presence of roo's and if they do and end up in an accident will WAPOL foot the bill for insurance excess?
Will insurance companies persue WAPOL for forcing clients to endanger themselves in order to maintain a certain speed limit?

On my recent trip to Bathurst i encountered hundreds of roo's between Renmark and Mildura to the point where i needed to travel below 60 in a 100 zone, im damned if i would sit on 80km/hr just to keep someone driving a government provided patrol car happy.

If i was the driver i'd take it to court, mention roo's and ask WAPOL to provide evidence that there weren't any in the preceeding few kilometers, something they couldnt do and which would result in it being thrown out.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2019, 06:35 PM   #43
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Yes, agree BENT, Driving to the conditions, some country roads are so badly maintained you couldn't travel at the speed limit in perfect daytime conditions, let alone at night with wildlife or in rain.

So many dummies will continue to drive at the speed limit no matter what they are seeing.
The 200mm dump of rain here before Christmas was a classic example of drivers stupidity.

Old 21-01-2019, 07:21 PM   #44
You Yangs
Dunnydore Destroyer

See this Model A Ford in my avatar.
At a stretch you'd be pushing 55mph (88kph) on a freeway, faster if you put a 2 Speed diff in but going that fast in one of these is eye opening.
88 kph is not exactly sitting still and it used to be the open road limit in the States during the 70's oil crisis.
Old 21-01-2019, 08:28 PM   #45
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
But it wasn't, it was at 9:40pm and for all we know there may have been roo's around.
Are police suggesting that its safe to continue doing 100km/hr at night in the presence of roo's and if they do and end up in an accident will WAPOL foot the bill for insurance excess?
Will insurance companies persue WAPOL for forcing clients to endanger themselves in order to maintain a certain speed limit?

On my recent trip to Bathurst i encountered hundreds of roo's between Renmark and Mildura to the point where i needed to travel below 60 in a 100 zone, im damned if i would sit on 80km/hr just to keep someone driving a government provided patrol car happy.

If i was the driver i'd take it to court, mention roo's and ask WAPOL to provide evidence that there weren't any in the preceeding few kilometers, something they couldnt do and which would result in it being thrown out.
It's a built up area, there are no roos around that area of the freeway Bent.
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2019, 12:49 AM   #46
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieron View Post
It's a built up area, there are no roos around that area of the freeway Bent.
Whilst im not familiar with the area, only last month i was heading along the local expressway near my home when i came across a very large dead roo on the shoulder.
I have lived in this area, which too is quite built up, since i was 10yrs old and have never seen a roo anywhere near the area until that one.
Due to how dry things have been of late, it is bringing roo's much closer to suburbia than ever before so its not impossible.
When you're travelling at 110km/hr you dont need to see a whole heard of roo's to cause you concern, especially if one strays onto the road in your path.

I'd be using it as my defence and let them prove otherwise in any case.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post