Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 21-07-2018, 05:37 PM   #1
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Default Fiesta or Focus?

So my Daughter is looking to upgrade from her 2004 Focus to a later model Ford hatch and weve found a few which she likes, problem is, we dont really know much about either of them so i told her id ask you guys.

The first is a 2009 Fiest Zetec 5door with the 1.4l and Auto with 110k's.

The second is a 2011 Focus Zetec 5 door with 2.0l and Auto, leather trim with around 160k's.
Both cars have full service history, are priced the same and in immaculate condition.

What are the pro's and cons of each and what should we look out for when inspecting them, any common/known issues.

Thanks in advance.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2018, 06:05 PM   #2
raceteam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Fiesta or Focus?

FIesta is pretty sound - not that quick with the 1400 when fully loaded, but perfectly fine. The 4 speed auto on them is fine, no issues like the dual clutch / powershift that came a bit later.

Most of the extra space in the Focus seems to be in the boot - not really any extra rear seat room if she's looking at passengers.
raceteam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 21-07-2018, 06:14 PM   #3
prydey
Rob

Just make sure the auto in the 2011 focus isn't the troublesome dual clutch (powershift) gearbox. I think this affected ecosport, fiesta and focus from 2011-2014. If you find something in this era, just make sure it's manual, or run away.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 21-07-2018, 06:44 PM   #4
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Thanks guys.
Yes i already considered the auto's configuration and thankfully they are both the 4 speed type which rules out the powershift issues.

Boot space isnt really an issue and she doesnt really cart many people around with her, maybe 1 or 2 at max.
Things shes interested in are bluetooth and tunes through the stereo, i had a look at the brochures section and from what i can tell the Fiesta has bluetooth and voice control etc. so i assume her new iphone 8 will hook up and the Focus has an aux button on the stereo facia so i assume thats possible there too.

Both are loaded with safety features being the Zetec models so it really comes down to the performance of the 1.4l over the 2.0l that she's used to, albeit the newer 2.0l has a bit more get up and go again.
Old 21-07-2018, 06:50 PM   #5
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

My sister had a LS Focus Zetec hatch. By the sounds of it you are looking at a end of the run LV Focus which was based on the LS. The Zetec with sport tuned suspension and larger wheels drive very, very well. Very nimble and great steering. With the 4 speed auto you will ovoid the powershift problem.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2018, 07:24 PM   #6
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Just looking through the brochures again and it appears as though its actually a LW model whereas its advertised as an LV2, however the stereo in the LV is different to the one in the pics online and it looks like its Tango in colour which appears to only be available from LW onwards.
It had me worried because i thought if it was LW it would have the powershift despite the advertising ststing 4 sp but apparently the LW was only available with the powershift on the TDCi models.

Can someone confirm any of that for us please?

This is the Focus shes interested in
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/mile...ack/1190024510

This is the Fiesta
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/pros...ack/1189858286
Old 21-07-2018, 07:34 PM   #7
prydey
Rob

diesel models got the wet clutch powershift, which is fine.
Old 21-07-2018, 07:47 PM   #8
prydey
Rob

the focus is definitely LV2, not LW.

I bought my territory from zooper cars and I won't be going back there any time soon, however that's more to do with them being dishonest rather than anything to do with the car. i'm happy with the car. they just lied about the service history, and the work that they didn't do which they claimed to have done.

they used to be up the road from stillwells at Medindie, but have moved to a warehouse at mile end. they are part of adtrans, which is part of A P Eager.
2 users like this post:
Old 21-07-2018, 08:00 PM   #9
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Hmm, yeah im not too sure about it being a LV Rob because the brochure scans show the LV having different shaped lower frill and foglight surrounds compared to the car in the ad, the car in the ad is the same as the LW Zetec brochure scans.
Only thing i can think of is that the late LV series had the interior, front end and colour upgrades for the soon to be released LW model.

With regard to the yard itself, i dont really judge a car by which yard is selling it because ive seen good cars in bad yards and bad cars in good yards.
I just judge each car on its merits and then work out if the people are worth dealing with or not.
Having said that, from my time in the industry, i dont trust any of them..lol
Old 21-07-2018, 08:07 PM   #10
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Hmm, yeah im not too sure about it being a LV Rob because the brochure scans show the LV having different shaped lower frill and foglight surrounds compared to the car in the ad, the car in the ad is the same as the LW Zetec brochure scans.
definitely LV2

LW looks like this
https://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/d...ngType=TopSpot

also, LW changed to ambiente, trend, and titanium models.
3 users like this post:
Old 21-07-2018, 08:13 PM   #11
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

LV2 Zetec was gifted a different front bumper to the rest of the range.
Mustang GT

Old 21-07-2018, 08:21 PM   #12
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Ok, thanks for clearing that up guys, it would appear that there is some mis labelled brochures in the forums brochure section then because the pics of the front and stereo from this advertised car is the same as those labelled as LW in our brochure section.

Eg.
http://www.fordforums.com.au/photos/...hp?photo=58300

http://www.fordforums.com.au/photos/...hp?photo=58293
Old 21-07-2018, 08:43 PM   #13
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

So with that cleared up, what do you guys think would be the better buy?
Old 21-07-2018, 08:52 PM   #14
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Honestly, either way is probably a winner.
Fiesta may be a little sluggish in 1.4 auto form, focus is better in this regard. Otherwise they are as reliable and safe as each other.
I’d personally go the focus for the bit more space and power.
If they both have Bluetooth and good stereos (I know the fiesta definitely had a great stereo) then I’d say it’s purely which one she likes more.

A clean car brings a clean mind
fiestaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2018, 08:59 PM   #15
prydey
Rob

Quote:
So with that cleared up, what do you guys think would be the better buy?
obviously the focus is cheap due to the high km. pretty sure the engine runs a timing chain, not a belt, so there is no belt change to worry about. not sure what other items would be requiring attention due to the extra work. maybe driveshafts??

not sure how much of 'under the skin' is still the same as LS, but my wife's LS is 2006 model (LX) and we've had it for around 8 years and all I've done is replace the alternator when it died, and that's it. i'm a bit embarrassed to say that it hardly gets any attention apart from a yearly oil change etc. if its an indication of their reliability then its very good. I bought one for my mother in law (who has since passed on..) but the car is still in the family, and it too is still ticking along, and probably gets neglected. I used to service it, but once MIL died, I washed my hands of it.

as for the fiesta, I don't really know too much about it. while the focus is the last of a generation, the fiesta looks to be the first of the next generation (similar styling to the LW focus).. a few years worth of less km also.
Old 21-07-2018, 09:05 PM   #16
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Thanks guys, its not an easy decision thats for sure as they are both in very gut condeshen..lol, sorry been reading too many poorly written gumtree ads.
Old 21-07-2018, 09:10 PM   #17
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
obviously the focus is cheap due to the high km. pretty sure the engine runs a timing chain, not a belt, so there is no belt change to worry about. not sure what other items would be requiring attention due to the extra work. maybe driveshafts??

not sure how much of 'under the skin' is still the same as LS, but my wife's LS is 2006 model (LX) and we've had it for around 8 years and all I've done is replace the alternator when it died, and that's it. i'm a bit embarrassed to say that it hardly gets any attention apart from a yearly oil change etc. if its an indication of their reliability then its very good. I bought one for my mother in law (who has since passed on..) but the car is still in the family, and it too is still ticking along, and probably gets neglected. I used to service it, but once MIL died, I washed my hands of it.

as for the fiesta, I don't really know too much about it. while the focus is the last of a generation, the fiesta looks to be the first of the next generation (similar styling to the LW focus).. a few years worth of less km also.
My sister also had to replace the alternator.
Mustang GT

Old 21-07-2018, 09:21 PM   #18
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Is it a big/expensive job?
Old 21-07-2018, 09:28 PM   #19
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Is it a big/expensive job?
I bought a genuine one off ebay and fitted it myself. a bit fiddly but not too difficult. just have to do it from underneath. can't remember the cost of the alternator but don't think it was more than a couple hundred.
Old 23-07-2018, 01:20 PM   #20
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Thanks again for all your help guys, she ended up buying the Fiesta and it is a fantastic little thing, easily as responsive as her old Focus despite the .6l less capacity, she loves it.
Tried to negotiate a better price but they had so many enquiries that it wasnt an option, some poor lady who drove it first thing this morning and went to pick up her brother, came back to buy it as we were signing the papers, oh well, you snooze you lose.
It came with 3 months rego and they filled the tank so she was happy with that.
Just got to work out all the gizmo's now.
4 users like this post:
Old 11-08-2018, 03:36 PM   #21
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

So shes had the car for 3 weeks now and it is proving to be a great little car, however, it appears as though it has succumb to the radio issues that seem to be a problem for these cars.
This week the unti just stopped working, the screen lights up and she can select the menu but the radio and phone features are now non existant and being a teenage girl, this is akin to the end of the world..lol
The car has a 3 months stat warranty which in the old days didnt cover radios or airconditioning etc. but im wondering whether a moderncars icc would be covered due to being more than just a radio as such.

Has anyone else experienced this issue with their Fiesta, know how to fix it or have any experience with second hand dealer warranty claims with this type of issue?

Cheers.
Old 11-08-2018, 03:46 PM   #22
prydey
Rob

Quote:
The car has a 3 months stat warranty which in the old days didnt cover radios or airconditioning etc. but im wondering whether a moderncars icc would be covered due to being more than just a radio as such.
normally exclusions would be listed in the paperwork.

I'd be taking it back and trying to get it sorted under the 3month warranty. Even if it was listed under exclusions, i'm sure some people would still argue it should still be covered under consumer law.

i'd start by at least asking the question of the dealer, and then go from there.

can't help you with the actual problem though. I can imagine the stress it is causing your daughter
Old 11-08-2018, 04:52 PM   #23
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
So shes had the car for 3 weeks now and it is proving to be a great little car, however, it appears as though it has succumb to the radio issues that seem to be a problem for these cars.
This week the unti just stopped working, the screen lights up and she can select the menu but the radio and phone features are now non existant and being a teenage girl, this is akin to the end of the world..lol

Has anyone else experienced this issue with their Fiesta, know how to fix it or have any experience with second hand dealer warranty claims with this type of issue?

Cheers.
Unti?

I had a WS Zetec and every so often the Bluetooth would play up, so no music or phone calls.

There is no hard reset on the stereo, so I would disconnect the battery for a few minutes and then she'd come good.

The WS Zetecs are great little cars, I had a manual 1.6 which went surprisingly well and used bugger all fuel. Mrs had the 1.4 auto which you could coax along nicely in tiptronic mode.

Apparently most of the 'under the skin' stuff was carryover and pretty well sorted by WS series so you (shouldn't) have any dramas with it.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2018, 04:55 PM   #24
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadFoot81 View Post
Unti?.
Unit.
Old 11-08-2018, 06:35 PM   #25
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadFoot81 View Post
I had a WS Zetec and every so often the Bluetooth would play up, so no music or phone calls.

There is no hard reset on the stereo, so I would disconnect the battery for a few minutes and then she'd come good.
Tried this today, made no difference, might disconnect it and leave it overnight and see if it works tomorrow.

Cheers.
Old 13-08-2018, 01:44 PM   #26
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Happy to say that the Daughters stereo unti is now working perfectly, didnt do anything inparticular...except push the 'ON' button

She's blonde...ish
3 users like this post: