Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-05-2014, 07:29 PM   #3151
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 
Default Re: 2014 Falcon Sneek Peak

I don't see the point trying to find a previous model change that's going to reflect what we get. To me it's an MCE done on the cheap, whereas BA was the same type of upgrade but with a lot more budget.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-05-2014, 07:37 PM   #3152
Blem
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sadly I reckon Ford AU manufacturing will go out with just a whimper.
Been told by head office in the USA to do the bare minimum until they "gift' us the Mustang.
Even that will be an under powered unit compared to what is available over there.
Blem is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2014, 07:44 PM   #3153
Blem
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wonder what the pricing might be on the FGmk3/H XR8 or XR6T ?
Blem is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2014, 07:45 PM   #3154
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GTHO View Post
I don't see the point trying to find a previous model change that's going to reflect what we get. To me it's an MCE done on the cheap, whereas BA was the same type of upgrade but with a lot more budget.
Yes add to that Bob G's razor gang has been hard at work on the 201X

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2014, 07:59 PM   #3155
rayner22
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior View Post
Yes add to that Bob G's razor gang has been hard at work on the 201X
Ford US will cut the thing as much as they can, not just for the saving but to try and make the new (American) models seem even better when they arrive.

Sadly as much as we all hoped it would be the "go out with a bang" model, it will pretty much be enough of an update to make sure the government doesnt come knocking asking for its millions back. It will be an accountant driven, low cost possible update, whereas BA was "get the sales back after AU at all costs" project.

It's already been drip fed not to expect power increases etc, it will just be an economy increase by changing the tune etc slightly.
Although it would be nice if they went bugger it and gave the 6 a last hurrah with 200kw standard for the XT or whatever it will be known as (if there even is one, for all we know its XR6 and G6 upwards only). 200 stock has a better ring to it than 195... And even better if the turbo was given a bit more power in stock form to make it a bit closer to the XR8.

If only.

Maybe Spyman will return soon with good news....

Old Rides:
BF MkII 07 XR6 , Seduce in colour.... : Growler Airbox, custom exhaust and other goodies
AUII TE-FORTE
Monsoon Blue,Full Cobra Performance exhaust system, G+D CAI, Crow Cam, Tickford Suspension, TE50 Kit, RDA Slotteds, Ridin on Advanti 18's
rayner22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 05-05-2014, 08:02 PM   #3156
Focused

Quote:
Actually... to be fair... that was the case for Fairmont and above... but for Falcon & Futura models... the EL had an all new bonnet, headlights (well, lenses at least), front bumper and included a grill (where the EF didn't have one).... then had the orange indicators in the rear tail light assembly (as you stated), as opposed to the EF's clear indicators (confusingly opposite on Wagon)... switch gear, etc. inside became colour coded... and there was a roll centre adjustment in the rear end (!?? from memory) plus a myriad of minor changes elsewhere, no doubt
You're right actually, the low series EL did get a new bonnet and bumper. I stand corrected.
Quote:
Um my point was the changes are mostly cosmetic, which is essentially what you just wrote yourself. E.g same running gear and most interior unchanged. Apart from a different front and rear end, most of whats in between hasnt changed and more than likely wont for cost reasons.
Fair enough, but the FX will look noticeably different to the FG whilst you'll need to be a real car enthusiasts to pick the EF-EL and BA-BF cosmetic changes. I expect, from directly in front of and behind the new car, you won't even know it's based on the FG.

Quote:
And again, to be fair... in the change from AU3 to BA... the rear floorpan of the car was changed to allow for the control blade IRS set-up.. which included a slight wheelbase increase... then the entire front & rear sheet metal was replaced.. and the roof (to change the top line of the front & rear screens, lower the mid point of the roofline etc.) and there were changes to the front chassis rails & radiator panel, etc also. I know you did say "minus the interior & running gear"... but the list in those areas is almost endless.
Yeah the IRS counts as "running gear" in my previous comment. I thought I'd actually read that the FX is getting a new rear-quarter panel but don't quote me. I was led to believe that the only thing (externally) that the FG was carrying over was the doors and roof so it's a decent facelift. Again, I may be wrong.
Focused is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2014, 10:17 PM   #3157
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focused View Post
The BA to BF change was simply a different bumper (new lights and bumper came with BF2).
Actually, BF featured new tail lights.

But I agree, the FH upgrade is quite a bit more substantial than BA-BF - at least, as far as the changes to the sheetmetal is concerned.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2014, 11:02 PM   #3158
Focused

Quote:
Originally Posted by NX74205 View Post
True but you had to look very closely.
3 users like this post:
Old 05-05-2014, 11:44 PM   #3159
janddbone
B1 - J & D Services
Donating Member1

This is as big as any other mid life update other than AU to BA... Interior updates are on the light side by the looks of it, but exterior and and mechanical updates are thorough enough. it deserves a new model name, hopefully it gets one!
2000 Ford Falcon Wagon Egas
2000 Honda Accord V6L SVI dual fuel
1999 Subaru Imprezza Sportwagon
1998 Holden Suburban 2500
1995 Land Rover Discovery TDI
1994 XG XR6 Longreach
1983 Holden Rodeo
1982 ZK Fairlane 302 six seater
1975 Datsun 120Y wagon
1970 MG Midget
1967 Rover 2000TC
Soon: Model T.
janddbone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-05-2014, 11:53 PM   #3160
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

i'm going with FZ
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-05-2014, 11:55 PM   #3161
martinijosh
▇ ▅ █ ▅ ▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▅ ▃ ▅ ▅

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent guide for headlamp repair. 

It'll be the F U

Sent from my HTC_0P6B6 using Tapatalk
Headlights don't work in your B Series? Here's how to fix it!
martinijosh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 06-05-2014, 11:21 AM   #3162
XRFutura
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm going to say FF (Final Falcon)

Past Vehicles:
2015 Ford Territory TS MKII - diesel burner
2016 Ford FM Mustang GT - The Dream Car
2007 FPV BF MKII GT - popping the V8 cherry
1997 Ford EL Falcon Futura - 6 cylinders of fury
XRFutura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2014, 11:53 AM   #3163
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

FX. Taking the 'X' off the end of '201X' like Ford did with the BA (i.e. BArra)

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Old 06-05-2014, 12:04 PM   #3164
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRFutura View Post
I'm going to say FF (Final Falcon)
going from FG to FF makes no sense though, it's a step backward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior View Post
FX. Taking the 'X' off the end of '201X' like Ford did with the BA (i.e. BArra)
manufacturers generally go out of their way to not have a model insignia of their direct competition (FX Holden)

So in my mind it'll be out of FZ, FH and FG3 - hopefully FZ as Z is the end of the alphabet, end of the Falcon.
Old 06-05-2014, 12:49 PM   #3165
XRFutura
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=Professor Farnsworth;5089625]going from FG to FF makes no sense though, it's a step backward

Holden did it with the going VZ to VE. So don't see why Ford can't.

Past Vehicles:
2015 Ford Territory TS MKII - diesel burner
2016 Ford FM Mustang GT - The Dream Car
2007 FPV BF MKII GT - popping the V8 cherry
1997 Ford EL Falcon Futura - 6 cylinders of fury
XRFutura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2014, 12:54 PM   #3166
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRFutura View Post
Holden did it with the going VZ to VE. So don't see why Ford can't.
Yes but they didn't go VZ to VY did they ;) Ford also went XY to XA but again they leave a big gap so it's not an obvious "step backwards". You have to look at it from a marketing point of view. "Our new model is one step back from what we just gave you".

Having said that we have to wait and see, there's every chance that i'm wrong.
Old 06-05-2014, 12:56 PM   #3167
NanoDuke
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

FV to go up against the VF

But we can speculate all we like. They could drop the lettering altogether and simply call it the "Final Falcon".

Or Falcon Unicorn Princess.

There's no set convention for what two letters it should be called.

Falcon F seems like a nice name to go out with, imo.
Subtle, simple.
NanoDuke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2014, 01:03 PM   #3168
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Farnsworth View Post
manufacturers generally go out of their way to not have a model insignia of their direct competition (FX Holden)
Didn't stop Holden with the VG ute and XC Barina.

2 users like this post:
Old 06-05-2014, 01:22 PM   #3169
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yes but they didn't go VZ to VY did they ;) Ford also went XY to XA but again they leave a big gap so it's not an obvious "step backwards". You have to look at it from a marketing point of view. "Our new model is one step back from what we just gave you".

Having said that we have to wait and see, there's every chance that i'm wrong.
EJ-EH then they went all over the place with the H series.

Never mind the model designator, will they even have a Falcon badge on the last model? fairly sure its gone from the FG MKII, one would hope so.
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2014, 01:46 PM   #3170
Squalo
Two Wheels Good

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focused View Post
I expect, from directly in front of and behind the new car, you won't even know it's based on the FG.
Holden managed just that with the VE-VF update - looks like a totally different vehicle - so no reason why Ford can't also pull it off.
1969 Kombi
Squalo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2014, 02:17 PM   #3171
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

speculation keeps the interest up

i asked a dealer to see if they could get me some info on release dates etc and they replied to me after grabbing a notepad and pen "so what is it called again?"
3 users like this post:
Old 06-05-2014, 02:43 PM   #3172
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Me thinks Ford is on a fine line....is there enough change to not cop a heckle if they give it a new model designation? Yet giving it FG3 would tell the public it's not a new model and likely reduce interest. My votes on a new designation, whatever it may be. I like FZ, has a certain finality about it.

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2014, 02:57 PM   #3173
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

yeah for sure they'll give it a new designation, BA to BF was minor (cosmetically speaking) in comparison, as was EF to EL, EB to ED etc.
Old 06-05-2014, 02:59 PM   #3174
Focused

Quote:
speculation keeps the interest up

i asked a dealer to see if they could get me some info on release dates etc and they replied to me after grabbing a notepad and pen "so what is it called again?"
Nooo surely you're not suggesting that Ford salespeople know nothing about Ford sales products?

My last conversation with a Ford salesperson ended after we agreed to disagree that the Focus was made in Europe. He assured me that the (non ST models) were built in Europe while I was adamant that they're built in Thailand (which they are). *shakes head*
Old 06-05-2014, 03:55 PM   #3175
BlueOvalPrint

FL = FinaL Falcon
BlueOvalPrint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2014, 06:21 PM   #3176
Callum31

I've been told the new Falcon will feature some new power upgrades and apparently the new design is not only the best looking Falcon ever, but also the most tech packed and best all round! Apparently you'd be very hard pressed to find a insider at Ford who doesn't like the new design. I think the base I6 motor will be tuned to around 220kw. To give Holden their last run of their money, Ford also privately confirmed to one of my mates that the new Falcon WILL be MARKETED AND ADVERTISED. Ford have still got hopes on this new Falcon and aren't making it an 'also ran' this was promised by Ford themselves too.

Just want to confirm you guys that it won't be a MKIII Falcon, it's a new model and it's new looks will not disappoint.

Cheers Callum-Admind of 'Support the new 2014 Ford Falcon' Facebook page.
Callum31 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 06-05-2014, 06:32 PM   #3177
usernametaken
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So why post it twice?

;-)
usernametaken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2014, 06:39 PM   #3178
Callum31

I made a spelling mistake and tried to stop the message from posting, and fixed it then it ended up sending the bad copy and good copy lol. I can't figure out how to delete it :p
Callum31 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2014, 07:10 PM   #3179
Kayos
Lag = hang onto something

Quote:
Originally Posted by NX74205 View Post

But I agree, the FH upgrade is quite a bit more substantial than BA-BF - at least, as far as the changes to the sheetmetal is concerned.

More like AU to BA....woo hoo pics pics pics?

Some previous rides: Ef mont, RX7tt series VI, BM coupes, TE50, BA ghia, BA XR6t

Current rides: G6E blk/Cshmr, Chrysler by Chrysler no.1, Chrysler by Chrysler no.2
Kayos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2014, 07:36 PM   #3180
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callum31 View Post
I think the base I6 motor will be tuned to around 220kw.
with all due respect Callum, and i honestly mean that (welcome to the forum btw) - i call complete bollocks on that. I'd be surprised if it even rose to 196KW.
6 users like this post: