Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 10-04-2009, 06:55 PM   #61
ED8192
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
Any photos?

I have the conti's on my Mondeo. This is very concerning.

I had conti's on the XR5 Focus, and I never had an issue. 27,000k's and the tyres I thought had maybe another 10 to 15k left.
I have photo's and tyres at work so will post as soon as I get back to work on Tuesday
ED8192 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2009, 07:03 PM   #62
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Potenza RE001s are probably one of the best tyres you can get in the market... they're not too expensive for ultra-high performance tyres.
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2009, 02:31 PM   #63
Superoo
Mondeo TDCi / BA XR6T

Quote:
Originally Posted by ED8192
I have the Conti's on my 2007 XR5 Mondeo and have found all 4 tyres have splits on the inside walls, Continentals rep are looking into it but just wondering if anyone else has seen the same problem used:
What pressure did you run the tyres at?
Old 12-04-2009, 06:45 PM   #64
Lord Viykor
XR5 convert

Our Mondeo has clocked up 28000 km and we are getting a sat of Re001's fitted next Friday. The rears which were the fronts are down to the wear marks, the fronts are getting close.

My missus got a flat at around 20000km and the tyre joint she went to said the tyres needed replacing urgently. I suppose they had to try the old sales pitch, they couldn't provide the Bridgestones anyway.

What pressure are people running the Re001's at? We were running the conis at 40psi and they were wearing evenly.
The mods: Window tint | Fomoco alloy pedals | Red painted brake calipers | THB Bury bluetooth | Bluefin | GGR CAI | Bilstein B6 sports dampers | Eilbach lowered coils | 2XS Inhaler (Top Induction Pipe) | EBC Ultimax discs and EBC red stuff brake pads | Mongoose 3" dump with Mongoose 3" 200 cell cat into custom system with Varex mufflers | Forge re-circ valve | Airtech intercooler coming soon
Lord Viykor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2009, 02:39 AM   #65
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Viykor
What pressure are people running the Re001's at? We were running the conis at 40psi and they were wearing evenly.
Generally, increasing the pressure will increase the tyre life. 40 psi is probably a good starting point - you could go up from there until the tyres start to feel too hard and then drop down a couple of psi. But don't exceed the max pressure on the sidewall. I run RE001s at 38 psi in a Honda Accord, but it's a much lighter car.
Old 13-04-2009, 07:26 PM   #66
ED8192
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superoo
What pressure did you run the tyres at?
They were between 31 and 33 PSI when I took them off, Ford recommend 35 front 32 rear. I have a few other cars and have always kept them between 32 and 36 psi without any problems.
Old 13-04-2009, 11:26 PM   #67
Superoo
Mondeo TDCi / BA XR6T

Quote:
Originally Posted by ED8192
They were between 31 and 33 PSI when I took them off, Ford recommend 35 front 32 rear. I have a few other cars and have always kept them between 32 and 36 psi without any problems.
Have the other cars been a similar size as the mondeo with the same profile tyre? I think you should run a minimum of 36 on the 18's. It's annoying considering the recommendation from Ford but manufacturers seem to lean towards comfort when recommending pressures and sometimes it's to the detriment of the tyre. Having said that, if you were within the recommended range, the report from the conti reps should be interesting. Don't hesitate to push for a new set.
Old 13-07-2009, 11:45 PM   #68
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Just replaced mine, had Conti's from the factory, I managed to get 38500 out of them but I did rotate them every 5000 and they were 'stuffed' but good even wear across all 4 tyres so i was happy.
Had Pirelli P Zero Rosso's fitted, price was ok, just under $400 each fitted with a wheel alignment. They seem to offer plenty of grip but are possibly a little noisier than the conti's. For the price I'm happy.
paulie0735 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2009, 09:18 AM   #69
scribbly

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulie0735
Just replaced mine, had Conti's from the factory, I managed to get 38500 out of them but I did rotate them every 5000 and they were 'stuffed' but good even wear across all 4 tyres so i was happy.
Had Pirelli P Zero Rosso's fitted, price was ok, just under $400 each fitted with a wheel alignment. They seem to offer plenty of grip but are possibly a little noisier than the conti's. For the price I'm happy.
I just had the Pirelli's P Zeros fitted to all 4 positions as well. $1085 with full alignment from Bob Janes. The ride seems smoother but then again the old Bridgestones were stuffed and I'd be pushed to get them again.

MA Mondeo
SZ Territory Titanium - >400,000 km
VF SSV Redline
BiTurbo Ranger XLT
scribbly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2009, 10:26 AM   #70
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by scribbly
I just had the Pirelli's P Zeros fitted to all 4 positions as well. $1085 with full alignment from Bob Janes. The ride seems smoother but then again the old Bridgestones were stuffed and I'd be pushed to get them again.
Were the Bridgestones OE tyres? How many kms did they do?
Old 15-07-2009, 01:23 PM   #71
Dusty1
Giddy up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scribbly
The tyres you replaced must not have been OE, as our Kiwi mate says, my TDCi hatch has Goodyears on it and they are fine. They will definitely see out my lease, and be good for the next person for at least a year as well.
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2009, 01:27 PM   #72
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Ford use a mix of tyres from the factory
Old 15-07-2009, 10:05 PM   #73
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulie0735
Ford use a mix of tyres from the factory
OE tyres can be Bridgestone, Continental, Goodyear or Michelin.
Old 16-07-2009, 10:20 AM   #74
scribbly

Yeah, sorry they were Goodyear (original equip). The back was OE and they lasted 55k km. The fronts only lasted 30k km. I had these replaced but they were troublesome at the 25k km mark. I went to the tyre place and got them to replace all 4. The new ones have a small mix of silica and per the marketing are meant to have less rolling resistance. We'll see how these fare. These will be rotated whereas the last lot got left as they were - big mistake!

MA Mondeo
SZ Territory Titanium - >400,000 km
VF SSV Redline
BiTurbo Ranger XLT
scribbly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2009, 10:15 AM   #75
DRU842
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In the early stages of planning for new tyres; just through 40k on the original Bridgestones, will check with my local tyres for recommendations & deals; any updates / recommendations?
2017 Mustang Lightening Blue, Cobb Intercooler, CAI, AccessPort, Turbo Blanket & V2 Exhaust, Mishimoto Down-Pipe & Overflow Tank, GFB DV+, Custom CRD Tune. Ford Performance Short Throw Shifter & Strut Brace. DBA T3 Brakes & Pads. Braided Brake Lines. H&R Coilovers. Anderson CF Track Pack Spoiler & Tailgate Panel. Blue CF/Leather Steering Wheel.
DRU842 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2009, 08:42 PM   #76
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The thread that would not die...
Old 27-10-2009, 09:36 AM   #77
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I guess people just keep wearing out their tyres!! ;)
Old 30-11-2009, 02:37 PM   #78
DRU842
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Went with the Goodrich Profilers forA$1000 fitted; 250km highway run on the weekend; noise levels noticably down. 43,000km from the original Bridgestones.
2017 Mustang Lightening Blue, Cobb Intercooler, CAI, AccessPort, Turbo Blanket & V2 Exhaust, Mishimoto Down-Pipe & Overflow Tank, GFB DV+, Custom CRD Tune. Ford Performance Short Throw Shifter & Strut Brace. DBA T3 Brakes & Pads. Braided Brake Lines. H&R Coilovers. Anderson CF Track Pack Spoiler & Tailgate Panel. Blue CF/Leather Steering Wheel.
DRU842 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2010, 10:01 PM   #79
Lord Viykor
XR5 convert

Nearly time for another set of tyres on our car, we've got 32000km out of the Bridgestones so far. We'll need to replace two of them within the next 5000km, that's just over a month for us.

Think I'll stick with the RE001's.
The mods: Window tint | Fomoco alloy pedals | Red painted brake calipers | THB Bury bluetooth | Bluefin | GGR CAI | Bilstein B6 sports dampers | Eilbach lowered coils | 2XS Inhaler (Top Induction Pipe) | EBC Ultimax discs and EBC red stuff brake pads | Mongoose 3" dump with Mongoose 3" 200 cell cat into custom system with Varex mufflers | Forge re-circ valve | Airtech intercooler coming soon
Lord Viykor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2010, 05:59 PM   #80
piquetcon
Starter Motor

I have the Continentals on my XR5, they have done 22,000km and the dealer has told me thay are less than 5% left. However more concerning was that they infrormed me of hairline cracks in the sidewalls of the tyres. He said it could be from under inflation, however I run them usually around 34psi. Has anyone heard of the Continental tyres getting cracks in the sidewalls? The car is not quite 18mths old and does not sit out in the sun.
piquetcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2010, 11:06 AM   #81
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

First thing I would do is take it to a reputable tyre dealer for a professional opinion; I assume your talking about a Ford dealer giving you their opinion of the tyres.

22,000 is perhaps a little on the low side. However 30,000 is about the maximum you could expect out of the conti's. 34psi may also be a little low if you like to drive it, I run mine at 38, they tend to ride a little hard but don't move around on the rim as much.

Unless you drive the car at 10/10ths I wouldn’t bother with the conti’s again, they are a fabulous tyre no doubt, but very expensive, much cheaper options out there and for the average commute and the occasional squirt the cheaper options are fine. I fitted Pirelli PZero Rosso’s (not a cheap tyre) and still saved more than $800 over the conti’s.
Old 20-02-2010, 12:03 PM   #82
TheColonel

My contis lasted about 23k before i had to replace them
Old 20-02-2010, 05:01 PM   #83
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

new-at-dealer XR5 I viewed on Wed had Bridgestones, with a Hankook space saver
LX Wagon I checked previous Fri had a Conti save-saver. Looks like std fitment has changed
allanv6gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2010, 06:02 PM   #84
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No, nothing has changed, the XR5 has had both the conti's and bridgestones since the first shipment of cars arrived over 2 years ago.
Old 22-02-2010, 11:43 PM   #85
Fenno70
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddkaust
Our TDCi came with Goodyear Excellence. 10,000kms and barely any wear - they live up to their name. Excellent grip, minimal road noise, wicked in the wet. However, BE AWARE!!! We were travelling 100kms p/h with a flat but didnt even know, until the entire blew out the tyre wall. Because the back end is reasonably light and they are low profile tyres we couldnt even tell the back drivers side was flat whan going 100kms. Cost $270 for 1 new tyre. Tried to claim on warranty from Beauripaires (through Ford warranty) but they found a nail hole - Bugger! Good service from them though.
I have the same tyres. Almost had the same incident except I noticed the car pulling left - checked the back rear left tyre and it was down to 21PSI, but visually you couldn't even tell. Checked the tyre and found a dirty big nail it that I'd driven on for a good 3 weeks. Luckily was repaired for $30 and car now goes straight. Pays to check tyre pressure fortnightly.
Fenno70 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2010, 02:18 AM   #86
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What usually happens when you get a nail in a tyre is a slow leak at first - maybe a couple of PSI per week. You'll pick this up if you check your tyre pressures regularly! But with a rear tyre, you can lose a lot of air before it becomes obvious, either visually or through a change in the handling.

I drove 10 km in an XR6 with a flat rear tyre - wondered why the car scraped going out of the drive! Drove my son to school through slow rush hour traffic, and finally noticed after accelerating out of a corner. The tread had split after 5,000 km.
Old 13-03-2010, 12:53 AM   #87
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My front tyre has a nail in it do I pull it out or leave it there not loosing any pressure so far?

apstar
apstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2010, 01:01 AM   #88
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by apstar
My front tyre has a nail in it do I pull it out or leave it there not loosing any pressure so far?

apstar

Leave it and go get it repaired. Murphy it likely to strike. You'll take it out and down she'll go

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2010, 04:08 PM   #89
ED8192
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by piquetcon
I have the Continentals on my XR5, they have done 22,000km and the dealer has told me thay are less than 5% left. However more concerning was that they infrormed me of hairline cracks in the sidewalls of the tyres. He said it could be from under inflation, however I run them usually around 34psi. Has anyone heard of the Continental tyres getting cracks in the sidewalls? The car is not quite 18mths old and does not sit out in the sun.
I had the same problem with my conti,s All four tyres have cracks on the inside walls and Conti rep says under inflated they were around 32 psi, they were supposed to pick them up from and send to Sydney for checking....still waiting :

I replaced them at 20 odd k's and I found out yesterday that the new fronts have scrubbed on the inside :
Old 25-03-2010, 06:15 PM   #90
bovva66

Had a tek screw causing a small leak on my 17" zetec bridgestones. not easy to tell by looking at low profile tyres as they have stiffer walls. Only discovered at work one day that it was low...bloody servo's don't have air pressure pumps as they kept getting stolen. Gone to have get foot pump for emergencys in future luckily was slow leak so lasted long enough to get fixed.... luckily.