Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 06-10-2008, 11:19 PM   #1
buts44
Starter Motor

Default Replacement Tyres for XR5 Mondeo

Anyone had to replace tyres for their XR5 yet?

I am at 25000 K's and reckon in the next 5 to 8000 I will have to get some new rubber.

Any idea what the Continentals are worth or a suitable substitute with good grip and low noise.

Old 07-10-2008, 10:55 AM   #2
XR5-Boy
You mad, bro?

Contis on the Turbos are worth 450 each. In terms of replacement rubber, here's a list of what's avaliable

All are 235/40 R18

Goodyear:
LS2000
Excellence <--Recommended
Eagle F1 GS-D3 <--Recommended (Beware, these jumped to 700 bucks this month! and i'm NOT kidding!)

Dunlop:
SP Sport 3000A (same as the XR6/XR8 i think)
SP Sport 01
SP Sport Maxx <--Recommended

Bridgestone:
Adrenalin Potenza RE001 <--Recommended

Pirelli:
PZero Dragon
PZero Nero <--Recommended

Maxxis:
Victra Asymmet
Victra i-Pro
MA-V1
MA-Z1 Victra
MA-Z4S Victra
MS300 Waltz

For prices, check your local tyre shop. The sites didn't have any prices on them :(

SFS 2007 Best Cougar, SFS 2010/2011 Best Focus XR5

Last edited by Cougar-Boy; 07-10-2008 at 11:02 AM.
XR5-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2008, 12:35 PM   #3
fairmont1998
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar-Boy
PZero Nero <--Recommended
P Zero Nero are factory fitment on the XR4 Fiesta. Fantastic tyres.

2012 KK Jeep Cherokee Limited CRD - Still going strong
2019 MG ZS Essence
1988 RD Mitsubishi Colt GL - 59kW of Fury
2022 Kia Stinger GT
fairmont1998 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2008, 02:01 PM   #4
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairmont1998
P Zero Nero are factory fitment on the XR4 Fiesta. Fantastic tyres.
In what way,have you seen a review,or is that what you have fitted?

apstar
apstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2008, 03:10 PM   #5
fairmont1998
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have an XR4. They're the tyres on it.

2012 KK Jeep Cherokee Limited CRD - Still going strong
2019 MG ZS Essence
1988 RD Mitsubishi Colt GL - 59kW of Fury
2022 Kia Stinger GT
fairmont1998 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2008, 03:57 PM   #6
LRsedan
Now XR5hatch!

Marangoni Mythos are getting good reviews on the XR5 forums.

Nice and cost effective.
LRsedan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2008, 06:38 PM   #7
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i will pop 5c into the tin for the Bridgestone RE001's (Adrenalins)

I have them on the focus and they have great handling wet or dry, and seem to have quite good wear on them, ive had them on for 15,000km and they still almost look like new....

Its a shame you cant 'test drive' tyres like you can a car....!
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2008, 07:01 PM   #8
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bridgestone Potenza RE001.

If it's good enough for Formula One cars, it's good enough for a XR5T.
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2008, 07:52 PM   #9
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ives
Bridgestone Potenza RE001.

If it's good enough for Formula One cars, it's good enough for a XR5T.
Absolutely. They are stickier than a newborns nappy.... lmao

(Yes, im a dad again to a 7 week old... and boy they are sticky hahaha!)
Old 07-10-2008, 08:40 PM   #10
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So no Michelin tyres like the XM1+

apstar
apstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2008, 09:03 PM   #11
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by apstar
So no Michelin tyres like the XM1+

apstar
I had some Michelin's on a few cars years ago, as i could get them cheap, but, they were that soft, my perception of them has been tarnished, they were AWESOME in the wet, but, the wore out that fast due the soft compound it was crazy... something like back to back sets, 12,000km each.... and that car was doing 4500km a month, so it was killing my budget!!
Old 07-10-2008, 09:23 PM   #12
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Another supporter of the RE001 here.... I might be one of the few falcon drivers running them at the moment (as far as i know) but they are becoming quite popular amongst the enthusiast community.

They might not have the ultimate grip on a track of a Goodyear F1 but are a progressive tyre to drive on. You can have a bit of fun at effectively legal road speed, and they don't feel dead to drive on. I test drove a mondeo (ford promo car before release) that had Bridgestone RE050 on it and they seemed even grippier, but i know from other people's experience they don't last very long.

The RE001 is most well known for wet weather work...sure if it is monsoon conditions with standing water you have to back off, but in damp/light rain conditions you can literally drive the car like its dry.....great feedback and plenty of grip, esp. mid corner and power down (which can be a problem with a EF falcon in the wet LOL!). Highly Recommended. They are quiet and looks like they will last about 35-40k at least....which they way/type of driving i do ain't bad.

Out of the others Cougar-boy mentioned i'd go for the maxis Ma-z1, very popular tyre around here and damn good value (much cheaper than most the others). The Goodyear excellence is a good touring tyre but not that good performance wise compared to the others (depends what you want)....

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2008, 11:09 PM   #13
XR5-Boy
You mad, bro?

Yeh the Adrenalins are pretty damn good. I was also going to include the Firestone Firehawks Wide oval on that list, but they don't make them in the right size! I'm running them on my Cougar and i haven't been happier. Excellent grip and little road noise.

SFS 2007 Best Cougar, SFS 2010/2011 Best Focus XR5
XR5-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2008, 11:34 PM   #14
buts44
Starter Motor

Thanks everyone for your input - got something to go on now and will hunt down some prices in the coming weeks. Thanks again.
Old 13-10-2008, 05:51 PM   #15
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

I think you also need to be realistic about what you want from a tyre. The Nero's are a great option and can be had at very competitive prices, I replaced the SO3's (adrenalins replaced the SO3's) that were fitted to my GTO with the nero's and while they were not quite as sticky they were much more comfortable and unless your driving on the edge all the time, the ultra sticky tyres might be nice but you compromise comfort, noise and wear for the very few times when your pushing it at 90% or more. I paid $280 for the nero’s when the SO3’s were $450. I got 56,000 k's out of the nero's and 36,000 k's from the SO3's. The factory fitted conti’s are very, very good but also way over priced. Just my opinion.

Cheers
paulie0735 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2008, 09:29 PM   #16
Zippy7

Pardon my ignorance, but is there any reason why the Bridgestone RE050A are not in the list?

I'm curious because these are the tyres that were supplied on my XR5... Are they not available or something?
Old 29-10-2008, 08:46 AM   #17
LRsedan
Now XR5hatch!

You had bridgestone on your XR5 from factory??

Thats a first I've heard of!
Old 29-10-2008, 03:55 PM   #18
mondeoxr5
Starter Motor

same with mine, bridgestone re050a
mondeoxr5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2008, 08:34 AM   #19
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRsedan
You had bridgestone on your XR5 from factory??

Thats a first I've heard of!
I wasn't aware they were putting them on the production cars sold in australia either. As i noted in my earlier post "I test drove a mondeo (ford promo car before release) that had Bridgestone RE050 on it and they seemed even grippier, but i know from other people's experience they don't last very long."

These are an excellent tyre, very grippy and plenty of feel. Not cheap though.

The mondeo seems to come in all sorts of factory tyres....i've seen a range of tyres on them in dealerships and such. You guys should put up a poll and see what is the most popular!!!!

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Old 01-11-2008, 08:28 PM   #20
ian b

bridgestones here also.
Old 02-11-2008, 01:46 AM   #21
mondeoxr5
Starter Motor

as swordsman88 said the bridgestone re050a are amazing tyres. Grip level is really good and the feel you get through them is just amazing. With them on the car traction control rarely gets used.

But as he also mentioned tyre life is not as good as other tyres. Mine are wearing very quickly. Also they are bloody expensive to replace (cheapest i have been quoted is $600 a tyre, but that is in karratha.)
mondeoxr5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2008, 11:30 AM   #22
jared79
Sock Puppets

I Have the bridgestone re050a on mine as well. But they have worn quickly. 24,000km and needing new fronts. Whats everyones opinon of the Dunlop SP3000a. I am thinking about these cause they about $130 cheaper per tyre.

Ford Mondeo Zetec Hatch in Blue Ambition
jared79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2008, 12:58 PM   #23
warren77

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondeoxr5
as swordsman88 said the bridgestone re050a are amazing tyres. Grip level is really good and the feel you get through them is just amazing. With them on the car traction control rarely gets used.

But as he also mentioned tyre life is not as good as other tyres. Mine are wearing very quickly. Also they are bloody expensive to replace (cheapest i have been quoted is $600 a tyre, but that is in karratha.)
And let me guess, they used the excuse of "freight" - which is a load of .
warren77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2008, 08:44 PM   #24
Superoo
Mondeo TDCi / BA XR6T

Quote:
Originally Posted by jared79
I Have the bridgestone re050a on mine as well. But they have worn quickly. 24,000km and needing new fronts. Whats everyones opinon of the Dunlop SP3000a. I am thinking about these cause they about $130 cheaper per tyre.
My RE050a's are wearing quickly also. Only done 13,000 kays but I estimate they are half worn on the fronts. Great tyre though. I have the SP3000a's on my XR6 and whilst they wear well, they become excessively noisy once they are about half worn. I won't be putting another set on. I'd be looking at Bridgestone Adrenalin RE001's as a potential replacement for both cars. They are rated on the bridgestone website as very close to the RE050a's.
Old 07-12-2008, 12:24 PM   #25
DRU842
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Don't feel too bad about the 'surprise' Bridgestone options. A mate of mine was stunned when he saw them on my XR5. He works for Bridgestone Australia & had just that week shipped the evaluation set he had been (this was back in June) trialling on his Falcon, back to the factory for durability analysis etc. To find them supplied OEM blew him away!
2017 Mustang Lightening Blue, Cobb Intercooler, CAI, AccessPort, Turbo Blanket & V2 Exhaust, Mishimoto Down-Pipe & Overflow Tank, GFB DV+, Custom CRD Tune. Ford Performance Short Throw Shifter & Strut Brace. DBA T3 Brakes & Pads. Braided Brake Lines. H&R Coilovers. Anderson CF Track Pack Spoiler & Tailgate Panel. Blue CF/Leather Steering Wheel.
DRU842 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2008, 05:21 AM   #26
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superoo
My RE050a's are wearing quickly also. Only done 13,000 kays but I estimate they are half worn on the fronts. Great tyre though. I have the SP3000a's on my XR6 and whilst they wear well, they become excessively noisy once they are about half worn. I won't be putting another set on. I'd be looking at Bridgestone Adrenalin RE001's as a potential replacement for both cars. They are rated on the bridgestone website as very close to the RE050a's.
The life of the RE050 is pretty well known (or lack thereof) in the tyre business. No doubt they are a top level tyre, perhaps top 3 in the world (certainly for these types of cars), with the Goodyear Eagle F1 right up there too. Problem is you won't see much more than 25000 out of the no matter how careful you are and how much you rotate them. Maybe 30k is doable, but unlikes most performance tyres that do 35-40k quite easilly if well looked after (and not wantonly abused), the RE050s are not one of them. Still, best tyre i have ever driven on, they give so much feedback and just keep holding on - great on limit tyre in my view.

The RE001 are a bit harder in terms of ride (though this is highly dependent on tyre pressures of course) and perhaps a slight bit noisier but for 90% of the time are just as good....in fact they are more progressive if anything than the 050 and still grip at the limit. Being assymetric they also fair better in wet conditions in my view (though i have not driven the 050 much in the wet....), - just don't go crazy in standing water as unlike some other perf. tyres they are not directional.... They last between 30-50k, mine are on track to last 35k and i don't go easy on them.

The Dulop SP3000 are not in the same league to be honest. in my view they are a serviceable tyre (FG falcons now use SP01 and Sport Max) but were there for cost effectiveness mostly. Despite some SP3000s that did fall apart (literally) they are a good tyre and last 40-50k if well looked after - though as mentioned they get very noisy once past about 30k wear. Also a far from progressive tyre IMO....

Go the RE001 for you guys....you won't regret. If on a budget try the maxxis maz1 instead. The RE050 is a great tyre but at the price you have to pay (with poor lifespan) it is crazy expensive IMO. Oh and don't forget to rotate regularly (5000k) and maintain tyre pressures, heavy FWD cars like the mondeo will eat out their front tyres ALOT... Just my two bobs worth....

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Old 08-12-2008, 05:56 PM   #27
LRsedan
Now XR5hatch!

How much are the Re001's? The bridgestone site doesn't mention price.
Old 08-12-2008, 06:08 PM   #28
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

RE001's in 205/50/16 for my Focii were under $200 a corner(might have been 180?), but, who knows... maybe $270
Old 08-12-2008, 06:37 PM   #29
Superoo
Mondeo TDCi / BA XR6T

Was quoted $238 fitted in the 235/45 R17's about 2 months ago.

Anyone know much about the Michelin Pilot Preceda 2's as compared to the RE001's? Have heard they are a great tyre as well and on a par price wise with the RE001's.
Old 08-12-2008, 06:59 PM   #30
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superoo
Was quoted $238 fitted in the 235/45 R17's about 2 months ago.

Anyone know much about the Michelin Pilot Preceda 2's as compared to the RE001's? Have heard they are a great tyre as well and on a par price wise with the RE001's.
I used to run michelins on my cars many years ago, and since switched to bridgestone, as you get 50%+ better mileage out of them.... ie. michelins lasted 24,000km and Bridgestones 40+, last set on my Corolla lasted 52,000km!!! (ER592's)

Mich's tend to run a softer compound... so they are grippy... but, they just dont last :( And i believe, they quite expensive also...?

Can anyone confirm thats still the case?