Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Site Sponsor Forums - In Alphabetical Order > Race Brakes Sydney

Race Brakes Sydney Street and race performance pad / rotor combinations as well as brake upgrades and Exedy clutch kits. Website Link

Old 09-05-2008, 07:48 PM   #1
Scott

Default Glazed Pads?

Guy's, some months ago I bought a set of pads from you for my BA MkI GT-P with the factory Brembo set up. You suggested and then very promptly sent me through a set of Hawk pads (thanks!) but after a few days they started to squeel in the last part of braking - say coming up to a set of lights, they started to squeel when you had almost stopped.

This has been getting worse and now it is really loud and happens as soon as the brakes warm up. Every set of lights I have to grimace at the noise.

After having enough of the noise, I had my wife take the car to the brake place beside her work today and they advised that the pads were a poor match for the rotors and that they had "glazed". She said that they told her they had "un-glazed" the pads and that I would be having the same problem again in the very near future.

The car has only done about 1000km on the new pads, can you offer any advice on what's what?

Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2008, 02:06 PM   #2
FLOORED
Race Brakes Sydney

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP006
Guy's, some months ago I bought a set of pads from you for my BA MkI GT-P with the factory Brembo set up. You suggested and then very promptly sent me through a set of Hawk pads (thanks!) but after a few days they started to squeel in the last part of braking - say coming up to a set of lights, they started to squeel when you had almost stopped.

This has been getting worse and now it is really loud and happens as soon as the brakes warm up. Every set of lights I have to grimace at the noise.

After having enough of the noise, I had my wife take the car to the brake place beside her work today and they advised that the pads were a poor match for the rotors and that they had "glazed". She said that they told her they had "un-glazed" the pads and that I would be having the same problem again in the very near future.

The car has only done about 1000km on the new pads, can you offer any advice on what's what?
Thanks for the feedback it is much appreciated even when it is not that positive.The brake pads we supplied are of high quality and have sold many for this application(We have two cars booked in Monday for pad changes) without fault.
The most common cause of Glazing is by overheating of the brakes which say in a automatic is common because the brakes are often overused to slow down the vehicle or also by driving with the foot on the brake.Had the factory rotors been machined before the pads were fitted as the rotors themselves would of also been glazed up and inturn the pads would take longer to bed in than normal.
Brake squeal on light brake applications is quiet common these days as asbestos has been taken out of the pads and with Brembo or sports calipers you don't have a big choice of street compounds available.Also some noises are harmonic noises which will happen because of slight vibrations between the back of the pad and the pistons so it is important to reuse the factory shims from the old pads when refitting new pads.On std twin or single piston calipers the problem isn't as bad as there are plenty of shims and tension clips to help prevent this unlike the 4/6 piston calipers.
There are not many pad choices at all for these calipers and the factory pads are available from us at $490 a set but no one ever buys them.
Did the brake place recommend a brake pad to suit your rotor at all as i would be curious to see what they would have recommended because as mentioned before the majority of brake pad manufacturers like Bendix etc do not make a pad for this application and the pad that is listed in there books is actually the wrong pad and overhangs the rotors.
In being honest i have not had a problem with these pads on factory rotors and have sold 16 sets this year so far .The problem is the manufacturer does not class pad squeal as a warranty issue for return but I can send you some lubricant or some rubberized stick on shims which go on the back of the pads which may help with the problem if you like but it may pay to machine the rotors if they hadn't been done.Let me know what you would like to do thanks

Street to track is what we expertise in

Phone 02 9609 1101

sales@racebrakessydney.com.au

www.racebrakessydney.com.au
FLOORED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2008, 06:13 PM   #3
Scott

Appreciate the detailed reply Floored.

The rotors weren't machined as they had worn very nicely on the original pads. I re-used all the bits that were attached to the original pads (from memory they were just a couple of clips on top of the pads) and lubricated the back of the pads pretty liberally.

I bedded the pads in as per the Brembo instructions but probably for twice as long. The pads have not had a single big grab yet, just pretty leisurely driving to be honest. After having them "de-glazed", they stayed quiet for about 500km then started squeeling again today.

I would be disappointed to have to throw them in the bin so I will look at getting the discs machined first, can you advise what is the minimum thickness of the factory rotors that I need so I can safely have them machined?
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2008, 02:23 PM   #4
FLOORED
Race Brakes Sydney

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP006
Appreciate the detailed reply Floored.

The rotors weren't machined as they had worn very nicely on the original pads. I re-used all the bits that were attached to the original pads (from memory they were just a couple of clips on top of the pads) and lubricated the back of the pads pretty liberally.

I bedded the pads in as per the Brembo instructions but probably for twice as long. The pads have not had a single big grab yet, just pretty leisurely driving to be honest. After having them "de-glazed", they stayed quiet for about 500km then started squeeling again today.

I would be disappointed to have to throw them in the bin so I will look at getting the discs machined first, can you advise what is the minimum thickness of the factory rotors that I need so I can safely have them machined?
30mm is the minimum thickness on these front 355mm rotors thanks and i wouldn't like you to throw them out either as they are a very good quality brake pad and although i can't and wouldn't guarantee 100% that a pad is perfect i would of guaranteed those pads to have very minimum squealing problems up until now.Let me know how they go.

Street to track is what we expertise in

Phone 02 9609 1101

sales@racebrakessydney.com.au

www.racebrakessydney.com.au
FLOORED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post