Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 04:04 PM   #1
HULK_I6T
Banned

Default When buying a car who decides "if you did any good"??

When buying a car (new or used), the next stage is to "get it passed" by your peers, family, girlfriend or whoever..

People in our lives will either critique our purchase or confirm the purchase "that we did good"

Did we pay too much? Is it mechanically sound? Did we miss something obvious etc etc..

Years back a mate of mine bought a commodore from the auctions.. He was standing in front of us proud as punch as how cheap he paid it.. His dad was gloating at how "he found a good one".. My mate and I noticed it had a VK model back end (with small spoiler) and a VL model front end... (vl has a sort of lip on the boot where VK is flat) We expressed our observation and they went into damage control mode, no no no they said.. We peeled back the carpet to reveal the weld job, it was a cut n shut shocker. Then their faces went bright red with embarrassment and scratched their heads at how they had been fooled... How did they miss this obvious flaw.

Another time I bought a small car for a cheap runabout and a girlfriend popped over and saw it. She started giggling and called me mr bean. So I received a disapproval.

So people from everywhere are either going to critique your purchase or confirm it as "you did alright"... So when buying a car you needs to ensure your peers/family/girlfriend will approve.

Who do you have to get your purchase through? Who is gonna pick your purchase apart?.... Or confirm it as a good decision.
Old 09-02-2015, 04:13 PM   #2
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Default Re: When buying a car who decides "if you did any good"??

Why did you bother peeling the carpet back....why didn’t you just look underneath ?.
Old 09-02-2015, 04:41 PM   #3
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Dad approves the purchase, and checks it over (as a licenced mechanic and body builder), and then my Uncle comes around to inspect and give his approval.

When I bought the XR6, he came around to the house asking where the car was - when I said that it was in the yard at work, he turned around and left.
When he saw it at the yard, and realised Dad had it parked unlocked with the keys in it, he pulled them out, locked the door and told Dad off on my behalf.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
This user likes this post:
Old 09-02-2015, 05:00 PM   #4
1TUFFUTE
Banned

edited by Admin

I would have thought this topic was clear cut as you've allready been tarred an feathered in other thread about your car choice, and age, and quality blah blah. But yes, people you know will always have an opinion about your car as everyone likes diff things about cars!
Some people prefer new cars.....some older cheaper value cars and some only care about safety features when judging if you got a good car in their opinion.

It's always fun debating your new cars positives tho

Last edited by SpoolMan; 09-02-2015 at 06:10 PM. Reason: has nothing to with topic..
Old 09-02-2015, 05:26 PM   #5
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

I buy the car I want. Stuff the approval. Didn't even ask the missus. Got in trouble but have the car I wanted.
Old 09-02-2015, 06:07 PM   #6
SensationFG8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Only I decide if I did good.

Couldn't care less what any other fool thinks.
Sensation FG XR8 290kW NA V8, 6spd Automatic

Current Rides
Octane GTF SC V8, 6spd Manual, Manta 3" X pipes and hotdogs
Starlight Lotus Evora S 258kW SC V6, 6spd Manual

Last edited by SensationFG8; 09-02-2015 at 06:19 PM.
Old 09-02-2015, 06:10 PM   #7
HULK_I6T
Banned

I think its quite strange that the people who need to be appeased are not often there to inspect the car BEFORE its purchased..

But then the buyer has to "best present" the car for the approval of friends/peers/family/girlfriend.. Why not just bring them to start with? Then if you buy it with their blessing then no retorts or pot shots after?

I sold my AU falcon recently and the technique the guy used to test the car was rev it and his girlfriend would view the exhaust to see if there is any smoke?? wierd technique as even battered up old high km falcons dont smoke (in my experience). The other technique was he drove it up the street and started swerving like the touring cars? was he trying to warm the tyres for a hot lap? But in the end his girlfriend gave him the all clear, so no headaches when he gets home to then get the approval of "having done good"...
Old 09-02-2015, 06:12 PM   #8
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Thread needs to stay on topic, any other rubbish will be removed with points..

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
Old 09-02-2015, 06:12 PM   #9
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Why would I care about other's opinions on my car? Are they paying for it? Nope.

Too many people I know spend money they don't have, on things they don't need, to impress people they don't like.
Old 09-02-2015, 06:22 PM   #10
SensationFG8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mr hardware you nailed it.

Funny thing is plenty of people will try to disapprove of purchases so hulk has an opinion founded in some fact. But the trick is do you really care?

I ask you hulk, why does it matter if someone picks holes in the purchase?
Sensation FG XR8 290kW NA V8, 6spd Automatic

Current Rides
Octane GTF SC V8, 6spd Manual, Manta 3" X pipes and hotdogs
Starlight Lotus Evora S 258kW SC V6, 6spd Manual
2 users like this post:
Old 09-02-2015, 06:54 PM   #11
290GTP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If i was worried about what other people think about my cars, I would just join the flock of bogan sheep and buy a Holden.

Ford fans are treated like lepers nowadays.

Mercury Silver 03 BA GT-P Tremec TR3650 Number 534

Herrod 4 into ones, Manta Exhaust, CAI, K&N Filter, Mellings oil pump, 19" FPV alloys, Bilsteins, Kings, tuned by Autotech, 272rwkw

RIP Fish 15/1/73 - 9/2/19
2 users like this post:
Old 09-02-2015, 07:01 PM   #12
Iggle Piggle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Joneses...you've just simply got to live your life trying to impress them and at least keep up with them, if not out-do them...irrespective of whether you can afford to or not in the long-run. You got to borrow and mortgage to the hilt so you can impress them and keep up appearances, otherwise who knows what they might think about you.
Old 09-02-2015, 07:10 PM   #13
DJM83
Proper Gearbox User
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeJaVu GT View Post
I buy the car I want. Stuff the approval. Didn't even ask the missus. Got in trouble but have the car I wanted.
+1

I decide what i want, no one else. I dont buy a car to suit anyone else but me bought both my last cars then told the missus. Probably why she is gone (nah its not). I dont need any approval so dont tell me i do.

Hulk you really do have some issues. Have you taken your new Territory to the BBQ yet to get approval from your mates? I doubt they will like it seen as they drive AMG Mercs.

Here i was foolish to think that the last cpl of threads werent actually too bad, but again you stoop back to the usual
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
4 users like this post:
Old 09-02-2015, 07:14 PM   #14
HULK_I6T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensationFG8 View Post

Funny thing is plenty of people will try to disapprove of purchases so hulk has an opinion founded in some fact. But the trick is do you really care?

I think people Associate a level of intelligence with getting a great deal. Buying a car is about assessing the cars strengths/weaknesses against a purchase price. People like to assess if the deal is good or bad and then conclude if you are intelligent or not about the purchase. Could you have gotten better for your money? Will you likely lose money, hold even or gain money if sold tomorrow. Did you miss some obvious hidden expenses etc

Example imagine if someone told you they bought a FG XT and paid $55,000 for it.. You would start laughing wouldnt you? Thinking they wasted their money. They might be happy with the car but you can't associate much approval or intelligence to their purchase can you?

Last edited by HULK_I6T; 09-02-2015 at 07:21 PM.
Old 09-02-2015, 07:17 PM   #15
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

why worry about them. so long as your happy with what you got. stuff everyone else
Old 09-02-2015, 07:36 PM   #16
LoudPipes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I’ve never purchased a car with anyone in mind other than myself or myself and my family needs.

To me it would ludicrous to do anything but.

To quote Ricky Nelson from his old song, Garden Party.

Quote:
But it's all right now, I learned my lesson well.
You see ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_I6T View Post
Example imagine if someone told you they bought a FG XT and paid $55,000 for it.. You would start laughing wouldnt you? Thinking they wasted their money. They might be happy with the car but you can't associate much approval or intelligence to their purchase can you?
I’d never seriously put a friend down for a mistake, we are all entitled to get things wrong once in a while.

Personally I would quietly consider someone who seeks the approval of others to justify their own choices to be the one lacking intelligence.
Old 09-02-2015, 07:36 PM   #17
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The only approval I ever worried about was that from the Bank Manager. If we didn't know anything about the car we were buying, we just took someone along that did. Anything went wrong after that, just blame them for the next 20 years. All my friends drove around in dog-boxes when we were young so as long as it moved it was all good. Never stopped us from having a laugh. Now one of them has a nice handful of GT`s. The people that laughed at his and our cars back then, don't laugh so hard anymore. But some approval is good, or you could say appreciation. Like when you pass a truckie climbing a hill, and you're in a GT, he stares into his side mirror like a Seagull does watching someone eating Fish n Chips.
Old 09-02-2015, 07:42 PM   #18
yearby
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Who cares what other people think, my family has disapproved of the last 19 out of 20 cars I have purchased, but I'm pleased as punch.
I must admit I can see their point, they all came home in several boxes
Old 09-02-2015, 07:55 PM   #19
Vincenzo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If someone helps pay for the car I buy then they are entitled to an opinion / perhaps in some cases a say.

On the other hand, if I pay for the vehicle myself, and, no one else is involved in the purchase then I don't really care what others think. I made the choice and I must live with my decision.

Cheers Vincenzo

"WRC is for boys, Group B was for men" - Juha Kankkunen 4 times World Rally Champion

Romanes Eunt Domus - 'people called Romanes they go the house' - You mean Romani Ite Domum

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2 users like this post:
Old 09-02-2015, 07:59 PM   #20
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeJaVu GT View Post
Its easier to ask for forgiveness than permission
2 users like this post:
Old 09-02-2015, 09:37 PM   #21
brennan.

Quote:
people from everywhere are either going to critique your purchase or confirm it as "you did alright"... So when buying a car you needs to ensure your peers/family/girlfriend will approve.

Who do you have to get your purchase through? Who is gonna pick your purchase apart?.... Or confirm it as a good decision.
Well it never really crossed my mind as to whom I should seek approval from but I see now how wrong that is, I absolutely MUST seek judgement for my vehicular purchases from now on and pray that I find favor with CarGod so that he might bless me with a good eye for detail or I may bring my name into disrepute among my peers. What a load of bollocks, The guy who picks my purchase apart is the guy with his pointy finger shoved in his exit.
Old 09-02-2015, 10:03 PM   #22
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Only I am the one who has the ultimate say in whether I did well or not. Others can say what they like, I wont take it to heart. Although a few work mates told me they were green when I drove in with the Ranger.
One day just after getting it I was reversing out of a park at a work event when I heard someone call out to me. A work mate who owns an Amarok comes running up to my window and say "F@$% you, I am so jealous" with a massive smile on his face. Felt like I made a good purchase at that point. He said he wanted one, but couldn't find one in his price range at the time so he got an Amarok instead.
Old 09-02-2015, 10:14 PM   #23
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Slightly of topic but atleast it's not a shot at hulk. I find if you have or buy a heap of crap then people pick out all the good points. But if you have something nice they pick out the bad points.
Old 09-02-2015, 10:33 PM   #24
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBROO View Post
I find if you have or buy a heap of crap then people pick out all the good points. But if you have something nice they pick out the bad points.
Either jealous or they somewhat feel threatened. To me it's that they have no individuality, just sheep.
Old 09-02-2015, 10:35 PM   #25
Ross 1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
When buying a car (new or used)
Who is gonna pick your purchase apart?....
Someone with a distinct lack of manners. What if that is all the person can afford, what if it is a car they have dreamed of or have big plans for. No matter what cars my friends buy I find the good points and congratulate them on their purchase. I drive a 9 year old territory and couldn't care less what any one thinks. It ticks all the boxes for my needs.
Old 09-02-2015, 11:10 PM   #26
noddy383

I buy the car that makes me happy. People questioned my buying of my old AU, saying it was ugly or slow, but it was quick enough and comfortable as good lounge chair and most importantly, it made me happy to drive it.
My BF wagon is obviously an XT, and I've been asked why, if I'm filling it with Fairmont gear, didn't I just by a Fairmont. My reply is always: "Because it makes me happy and I can fit a bookcase in the back."
Before purchasing, I asked the opinions of people whose opinions I wanted and everyone else can deal with it.
Old 09-02-2015, 11:17 PM   #27
Fordblue1000

Ive had my coupe for over 20 years. My parents always hated it. They still laugh at me for having it. My friends always give me grief for owning it. My ltd is still the bargain it was ten years ago. But in spite of the breakdowns of these two daily drivers over this time, my old daewoo still keeps on going. I have always been encouraged to buy someting newer, but why? Im happy with these couple of cars as they just keep on going. For the record that daewoo costs me nothing to run. Ive spent less than $2k on it since new in 1999. Thats including tyres and brakes over 200,000's worth. The fords i have kept on the road has cost me lots more, but would bever change this. Not for anyone. They give us our identity that makes us individual!
1963 morris.
1920 model T
Old 09-02-2015, 11:23 PM   #28
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No one has ever critiqued a car I have purchased, and there have been many! But boy they go out of their way to critique my wife. Sound familiar?
Old 09-02-2015, 11:36 PM   #29
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Just buy new hot cars. Everyone will approve.

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
Old 09-02-2015, 11:48 PM   #30
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensationFG8 View Post

That's the thing.....some of you guys say you don't care.......some of you say you don't but your actions and reactions to others views of your car would show that you do care.
So yes everyone has an opinion but only yours matters to you.......well for some people. I think most pretend they don't care, but the second someone starts picking thru their car they'll put up the walls!
Closed Thread