Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-02-2015, 02:00 PM   #1
Brodes
Brodes

Unhappy Ever Needed to Sell Your Pride & Joy?

The misses & I recently bought a new run about, cheaper to run was the aim & a Hyundai Elantra is the result. Now I'm being pressured into selling my EL XR8 that I've had for 10years, I don't wanna part with it.

Have you been in a similar situation? If so what have you done to deal with it? I'd love to keep it but at the same time words of wisdom in help to part with it are welcome.
Old 07-02-2015, 02:17 PM   #2
nstg8a

Default Re: Ever Needed to Sell Your Pride & Joy?

Unless you really need the money then they're not worth selling really.

Worth next to nothing in the current market.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2015, 02:19 PM   #3
Brodes
Brodes

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a View Post
Unless you really need the money then they're not worth selling really.

Worth next to nothing in the current market.
My arguement exactly.
Old 07-02-2015, 02:20 PM   #4
FGX008

Hi Brodes

My Advice is simply do not sell. You will just regret it. Sometimes it's not about the money - it's about happiness and pleasure. It's hard to put a price on that!

Cheers, Brent

Last edited by FGX008; 07-02-2015 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Typo
FGX008 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 07-02-2015, 02:22 PM   #5
Grippy
Racing improves the breed

if you have room for it and you don't want to sell it, keep it. There are many stories of sellers regret on the forums and like what nstg8a said, for what you get for them, they really aren't worth selling good examples.

1964 Mini Cooper S Historic Group Nb Touring car

Victorian Hill Climb Championship
Grippy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 07-02-2015, 02:31 PM   #6
data_mine
GT-P With An Ego
Donating Member2

yes (my EL), but I replaced it with something much better (the GT-P), not an econobox.

It's gonna hurt.

Ford Performance Club of ACT
data_mine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2015, 02:37 PM   #7
Mulberry Laine

Don't sell the car if you don't want too,just get rid of the missus.Or if you want to keep the missus just advertise the car for a ridiculous price,it wont sell and problem solved.
Mulberry Laine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2015, 02:39 PM   #8
damo76
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was without for for a while and needed the money so regretfully sold my bronco for less than what i wanted.
I own a motorbike now and just ride everywhere but i still miss the bronco.
Strange thing is i don't really want another car as i now see them all as problems like the olf xh ute which is being flogged off cheap because it's stupid unreliable thing. And the misseses 2012 ford focus with it's horrible transmission and it's strange ways which i don't understand like all its technology it still can't decide the right amount of throttle i need. Unlike the old bronco which shifted nicely, old mechanical technology which was reliable and was right.
I don't really want another car but i will need one to tow the boat..... Might buy a f100 everything else is plagued with issues.
damo76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2015, 02:43 PM   #9
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Don't sell. Worst case de-reg it and store it somewhere.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2015, 02:48 PM   #10
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Yep, made that mistake in the past, don't do it.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2015, 02:51 PM   #11
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Yeah I'm under pressure to sell the te50.

It's my daily and I used to catch a train to work but got relocated. So now I'm chugging a tank a week when logically I should be running around in a little Tdi or something.

But I own it, I've fixed all the niggles and its really a great daily. But if we move further away from work then it's going to compound the issue.

Add to that my little Alfa which I really haven't touched in two years....plan is to restore it and race it a few times during the year but I've got 4 kids under 7...I barely have the time to wash it.

I got it for a good price and I know if I sell it then when I do get some more time and free $$ down the track I will want something similar....they are getting hard to find in decent condition...

Need more space and time! No wonder you see mainly old people with nice cars, more disposable income and time on their hands.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2015, 03:06 PM   #12
Brodes
Brodes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post

It's my daily and I used to catch a train to work but got relocated. So now I'm chugging a tank a week when logically I should be running around in a little Tdi or something.

But I own it, I've fixed all the niggles and its really a great daily. But if we move further away from work then it's going to compound the issue.

Add to that my little Alfa which I really haven't touched in two years....plan is to restore it and race it a few times during the year but I've got 4 kids under 7...I barely have the time to wash it.

I got it for a good price and I know if I sell it then when I do get some more time and free $$ down the track I will want something similar....they are getting hard to find in decent condition...

Need more space and time! No wonder you see mainly old people with nice cars, more disposable income and time on their hands.
We are in very similar boats, I've also got my GT & Fairmont in the shed "taking up space", time & money needed to finish those too. I guess that's where the XR8 money could go, but I'd still prefer to have a semi-tough everydayer rather than a granny's fart-box. The money saved doesn't seem worth it.
Old 07-02-2015, 03:06 PM   #13
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

What the hell is this "under pressure" rubbish?

Marriage or not, nobody has the right to put the one that they love under pressure to sell something they don't want to sell.

Alarm bells right there.
1986 XF Fairmont Ghia 4.1L EFI Regency Red, trip computer, venetians - 163Ks
1979 P6 LTD 351, Goldust - 185Ks
1989 Mazda MX5, Red 1.6L, 5sp manual - 102Ks
P6LTD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2015, 03:09 PM   #14
Fairlane 500
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulberry Laine View Post
Don't sell the car if you don't want too,just get rid of the missus.Or if you want to keep the missus just advertise the car for a ridiculous price,it wont sell and problem solved.
Yeah exactly mate.

I went through the same thing with a gorgeous V8 Charger years ago
(I so wish I had never sold that car!)

That woman was so demanding but I got myself a divorce a few years later & it solved all my problems.

If she is not understanding & respectful of you & makes you unhappy get rid of her, you only live once mate.
Fairlane 500 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2015, 03:12 PM   #15
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairlane50 View Post
Yeah exactly mate.

I went through the same thing with a gorgeous V8 Charger years ago
(I so wish I had never sold that car!)

That woman was so demanding but I got myself a divorce a few years later & it solved all my problems.

If she is not understanding & respectful of you & makes you unhappy get rid of her, you only live once mate.
Exactly. I would never expect my partner to get rid of all her shoes. It seems like it is part of the Australian culture and accepted that wives can give their man crap about their hobbies.
5 users like this post:
Old 07-02-2015, 03:13 PM   #16
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by P6LTD351 View Post
What the hell is this "under pressure" rubbish?

Marriage or not, nobody has the right to put the one that they love under pressure to sell something they don't want to sell.

Alarm bells right there.
That's kind of cute.

Marriage is about compromise...very true....but family is about prioritising and logical thinking. The cars we like don't really fall into this category...they are a "luxury" and there are times in your life depending on your situation when project cars make sense. Likewise times when even we know it's not a great idea but it's our passion.

In saying that I mention selling the Alfa and because I did a little bit of work on it with the grandfather in law she's gets sentimental...more than I do.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 07-02-2015, 03:14 PM   #17
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:

Sell the Alfa and buy a more disposable car for using daily, and keep your TE50 as your pride and joy, looking after it and keeping it under cover to keep forever. The TE50 is too good as a daily runner. Seeing you like your Fords .
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2015, 03:19 PM   #18
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Quote:
That's kind of cute.

Marriage is about compromise...very true....but family is about prioritising and logical thinking. The cars we like don't really fall into this category...they are a "luxury" and there are times in your life depending on your situation when project cars make sense. Likewise times when even we know it's not a great idea but it's our passion.

In saying that I mention selling the Alfa and because I did a little bit of work on it with the grandfather in law she's gets sentimental...more than I do.
Kind of cute? As long as he has enough money to put food on the table why does he need to even contemplate selling the XR8? If HE wants to, that's fine. His wife wants him to sell HIS car against his wishes? Sorry, that's not compromise, that's disrespect. Unless the OP has totally misrepresented his wife's stance on this.
2 users like this post:
Old 07-02-2015, 03:19 PM   #19
Fairlane 500
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Exactly. I would never expect my partner to get rid of all her shoes. It seems like it is part of the Australian culture and accepted that wives can give their man crap about their hobbies.
Yeah, in my situation my ex wife was getting her hair & her nails done, wearing the latest designer clothes & shoes, yuppie gym membership, driving the nice new car etc, etc...
whilst "stupid" here was going without plenty of things that he wanted

Clearly the car is not the problem which needs solving here.
Old 07-02-2015, 03:22 PM   #20
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Quote:
Yeah to be honest,
in my situation my ex wife was getting her hair & her nails done, wearing the latest designer clothes & shoes, yuppie gym membership, driving the nice new car etc, etc...
whilst "stupid" here was going without plenty of things that he wanted
It's ok buddy, life is a lesson...as long as you learn from it.

Sounds like you have.
Old 07-02-2015, 03:25 PM   #21
Fairlane 500
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It's ok buddy, life is a lesson...as long as you learn from it.

Sounds like you have.
Yeah
Old 07-02-2015, 03:26 PM   #22
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Kind of cute? As long as he has enough money to put food on the table why does he need to even contemplate selling the XR8? If HE wants to, that's fine. His wife wants him to sell HIS car against his wishes? Sorry, that's not compromise, that's disrespect. Unless the OP has totally misrepresented his wife's stance on this.
Some of the extreme examples here are from people who have divorced....that's a different relationship issue, more going on there than your mode of transport.

I can't speak for the OP but my wife would never force me to do anything, but conversation will arise from time to time about the need when perhaps there are other priorities....like I said, everyone is different.

But to bluntly turn around to your partner and dig your heels in and say no is just as bad, who knows what the OPs situation actually is.

You can take our freedom, but you will never take my uneconomical daily and project cars!

#firstworldproblems
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
6 users like this post:
Old 07-02-2015, 03:30 PM   #23
Brodes
Brodes

Quote:
We can put food on the table, we are both reasonable people and I understand her views. We now have 5 cars & 2 motorbikes, it's about practicallity. We have space for it, but how many cars do you need to keep before it gets to the point of saturation? The main reason I don't want to sell it is because I like it, I love to drive it, I know it inside out & I'm attached to it.... I'm a car dude, a Ford man.

I am willing to compromise, but my vehicles are a big thing for me. I'm still sitting on the fence but with a lean to keep.
Old 07-02-2015, 03:32 PM   #24
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Quote:
Some of the extreme examples here are from people who have divorced....that's a different relationship issue, more going on there than your mode of transport.

I can't speak for the OP but my wife would never force me to do anything, but conversation will arise from time to time about the need when perhaps there are other priorities....like I said, everyone is different.

But to bluntly turn around to your partner and dig your heels in and say no is just as bad, who knows what the OPs situation actually is.

You can take our freedom, but you will never take my uneconomical daily and project cars!

#firstworldproblems
You make fair points.

Yes, I have separated from my wife but there is no bad blood and she never ever suggested that I sell any of my cars because she knows what they meant to me.

If she did, then yes, I would "bluntly" say no. Why skirt around the issue? If it's not going to be sold, there's no point entertaining the suggestion. BUT, my wife went without nothing too. We respected each other. It was never one sided.
Old 07-02-2015, 03:34 PM   #25
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodes View Post
We can put food on the table, we are both reasonable people and I understand her views. We now have 5 cars & 2 motorbikes, it's about practicallity. We have space for it, but how many cars do you need to keep before it gets to the point of saturation? The main reason I don't want to sell it is because I like it, I love to drive it, I know it inside out & I'm attached to it.... I'm a car dude, a Ford man.

I am willing to compromise, but my vehicles are a big thing for me. I'm still sitting on the fence but with a lean to keep.
Of course. If you have space, then there's no problem. Now, if you said you were going to buy more cars and that it would stop your wife from enjoying the space that you have left in the backyard - I understand.

All I'm saying is - sell it if YOU want to, not because someone else wants you to.
Old 07-02-2015, 03:35 PM   #26
Fairlane 500
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
IMHO it depends how you look at things mate
quite often one sided arguments can be sure signs of relationship problems.
Old 07-02-2015, 03:37 PM   #27
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you are asking the question don't sell it.
Keep it for weekends. Something to look forward to driving at the end of the week.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2015, 03:39 PM   #28
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Quote:
IMHO it depends how you look at things mate
quite often one sided arguments can be sure signs of relationship problems.
Correct.

I absolutely despise the stereotypical (and often accepted) view that it's ok for a wife to demand that her husband get permission for doing stuff.

I see it on here all the time. e.g. "I'll have to get permission from the minister of finance" WTF?

Now, as long as there is enough money for food, house payments, kids etc - it should be ok for both to do as they please.
3 users like this post:
Old 07-02-2015, 03:44 PM   #29
Fairlane 500
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Correct.

I absolutely despise the stereotypical (and often accepted) view that it's ok for a wife to demand that her husband get permission for doing stuff.

I see it on here all the time. e.g. "I'll have to get permission from the minister of finance" WTF?

Now, as long as there is enough money for food, house payments, kids etc - it should be ok for both to do as they please.
That is exactly as I see it
Old 07-02-2015, 03:57 PM   #30
Fairlane 500
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodes View Post
Now I'm being pressured into selling my EL XR8 that I've had for 10years, I don't wanna part with it.
I just noticed you are in South Australia mate, one good thing here is you can leave your car unregistered for as long as you like
& then register it again online whenever you feel like so there is really no ongoing holding costs.

I actually have something sitting down the back of my carport which gets registered perhaps
3 months a year & only does a couple of hundred kms between oil changes these days.
2 users like this post: