Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Ford Car Clubs > Mid North Coast Ford Owners Club

Old 30-03-2009, 10:03 PM   #1
Rural 351
1000+ passes

Default Drags

I went to the nostalgia drags at WSID on the same day as the gingers creek cruise (not sure where the most racing was) so what was the mishap Gordon? my old farm XY ute managed a 11.524 and 119.42mph the best its done so far, I hope soon a couple of you will be coming down to the drags with us, I dont want to be the only one trying to chuck rods 400ks from home. Im sure if you hang around with the likes of me for long enough you could all get hooked (and broke) on drag racing. It would be a shame for all those turbos and clevelands to be wasted on the street, you know what they say when the flag drops the #$@%&*% stops

https://www.facebook.com/DragRacingT...2067110055900/

http://www.cacklingpipes.com/100825_...250810_025.JPG

XA coupe naturally, aspirated Cleveland, full exhaust, 98 oct pump gas, drag radials, Manual trans, 10.664 132 mph

The faster youve gone the worse your attitude
Rural 351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2009, 08:49 AM   #2
thunderoo
Blueprint of Perfection

First of all ill make the comment "i had a great day out". BUT.......firstly i picked up a bad batch of fuel, she has not missed a beat since ive fired it up, i cruised down to Port on Sunday morning and stopped at the Shell servo in Gordon Street. Within 30 secondes of leaving the servo she started to ping at idle and run very poorly, and when i got to the car park to meet the others, she ran on. We got there a little early, so i took Melissa's car to supercheap auto and i got a bottle of octane boost which brought the octane rating up by 8 units. By the time i got to Wauchope, she had stopped pinging and didnt run on but i could tell she was not happy. When cruising up to Gingers Creek i could feel her surge, and when the group got caught up behind the caravan for about 15 minuites where we went up the mountain between 10 and 40 k's an hour, she felt like that it was running on 7 cylinders and when giving it a squirt it was down on power and unresponsive. But on the way down i was playing with an EVO 5, pushing the big XB around those corners took some work, even tho she wasnt 100% i still had the EVO on acceloration but quickly was on my azz again through the corners, until one corner on the exit squeezed the accelorator too hard and the back end just went out from behind me, the front windscreen was facing the cliff face and the rear window the cliff edge with only a small guard rail to stop us from going over, i was totaly out of control and had her on full lock in the opposite direction and in gods hands, thankfully i missed everything and got control again when she slowed down enough for the rear tyres to grip again. The heart rate was off the roof, and i think Alan shi$ himself. But we kept on going down the mountain until i eventualy i ran out of brakes one corner i had to take all my weight to pull her up, so i had to take it easy for the rest of the way, and a brake fluid change will have to happen before the next run. Quarter mile racing is fun, but i found most of my ejoyment from behind the wheel comes from pushing cars around corners and tight racing like i just had during the weekend. But in the end we stopped at Long Flat pub for a well earned beer and time to change undies. After filling up again at a diffent servo, she is almost back to normal again when i got home.
1974 XB COUPE
NO TRACTION AT EASTERN CREEK

HERS
BOSS 260 03 XR8 SEDAN
COLD AIR INTAKE BY PERFORMER SHAKERS
FULL X-FORCE QUAD TIPPED EXHAUST SYSTEM
thunderoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2009, 09:26 AM   #3
killerjoolz
KillerXR8

Brian was obviously RIGHT about that SHELL fuel then..lol...glad to here you and the car survived ya drive home,bet Mim was glad she was in her own car....lol

Bruce I would love to go drag racing but I'm just a big girl and would get scared...lol...your old girl done well though you must be stoked with that??

2009 TWEEKD FG XR8 IN SILHOUETTE
all mods done by Walter Markham from Oztek Performance
killerjoolz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2009, 09:35 AM   #4
Rural 351
1000+ passes

Default Hmmm

I like corners as well but I dont trust myself fences and paddocks all start to look very inviting, atleast at the drags your car comes home straight, there maybe rods and stuff flapping around in the breaze but its still straight

XA coupe naturally, aspirated Cleveland, full exhaust, 98 oct pump gas, drag radials, Manual trans, 10.664 132 mph

Old 31-03-2009, 10:05 AM   #5
Rural 351
1000+ passes

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerjoolz
Brian was obviously RIGHT about that SHELL fuel then..lol...glad to here you and the car survived ya drive home,bet Mim was glad she was in her own car....lol

Bruce I would love to go drag racing but I'm just a big girl and would get scared...lol...your old girl done well though you must be stoked with that??
Theres nothing to be scared of its just like racing someone off the lights but you dont have to keep your eyes in the mirror. Not that there are many sets of lights around here, Thanks for the done well I am stoked most people that I talked to at the drags about whats in my engine went away thinking theres a B S artist, I enjoyed the day and will spend the time to the next meeting thinking of something else to try, Ive been lucky every thing ive done so far has been a step forwards so it must be a step backwards time soon

Old 31-03-2009, 10:07 AM   #6
GT425
Boss 290

I got 3 tanks of 98 from the same SHELL on Sunday no problems in GT,XY OR BA. Have
been getting 98 from them as far back as the optimax days no problems.
GT425 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2009, 10:20 AM   #7
Rural 351
1000+ passes

[QUOTE=thunderoo] i got a bottle of octane boost which brought the octane rating up by 8 units. By the time i got to Wauchope, she had stopped pinging and didnt run on but i could tell she was not happy. When cruising up to Gingers Creek i could feel her surge, and when the group got caught up behind the caravan for about 15 minuites where we went up the mountain between 10 and 40 k's an hour, she felt like that it was running on 7 cylinders and when giving it a squirt it was down on power and unresponsive.

Ive found that a big dose of octaine booster if your taking it slow will take its toll on your plugs mostly if you have colder ones like NGK 7s or 8s even when you can give it a good rev to clean it out the damage is done that brown build up your plugs get on them caused by the octaine booster bakes on and its time for a good clean or a garbage bin

Old 31-03-2009, 12:04 PM   #8
dreadly
Banned

Im up for a trip to the drags?! ;)
Your xy sounds awesome havnt seen it nor met you yet... Im Peter by the way.
I heard about your ute blowing everyone away on the rolling dyno a few years back at the truck show.
We should organise a trip..... Or pull around $1.2 million and turn Kempsey airport into a leading drag facility. And have a monthly fri, sat, sun, drag comps ;) lol ahh we can dream cant we
dreadly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2009, 01:07 PM   #9
IAM58L

In relation to kempsey airport becomming a drag strip the only way this will happen is with alot of support from the community or as dreadly said buy it out maybe the minster for sport and rec might help out... i doubt it. About a year ago I tried to convince council with the help of the ecconomic development officer at the time that drag racing at the airport was a viable option even just 4 times a year however there is a new development officer now and council is only interested in seeing it used for planes even though there are only a small number of people in the community that own a plane.

Last time I checked it costs the rate payer $85,000 a year so 80 planes a year can take off and land. I am sure that there would be more than 80 cars turn up to have a go at drag racing... I believe that Kempsey Sporting Car Club has tried to obtain use of the airport in the past aswell and they were told no, maybe someone else knows more? I have spoken with ANDRA and they would be happy to support any events that were organised at the kempsey airport.
Anyhow enough ranting from me,
Beau351 11.524 is a great time well done
IAM58L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2009, 02:43 PM   #10
thunderoo
Blueprint of Perfection

Brian was not right......it done nothing but play up / ping / and run like crap until i put a fresh tank of fuel in it at Wauchope...which was V power again....which only proves it was a bad lot of fuel. Alan in the passengers seat will 2nd all that. And it has ran on V power from day one with no probs, and ran down to port on V power, over took a car at 100 k's with axel tramp all the way until i passed him. Allan thought the diff was going to fall out until i told him that it was axel tramp. Only ran like crap from filling up at Port right until i was just out of Wauchope when i gave it another hit along the oxley highway.....And yes julz...i am quite happy to be in one piece also. As for the other cars filling up....Melissa filled up with V power also..no probs...but all those cars that were mentioned are not critical to have 98, they will run fine on a lower octane, the 393 is very critical to run 98 or above, due to the tune set up and compresion ratio and the large lift and duration of cam and ignition timming that it runs. Anything less....it will let you know, which it did.
1974 XB COUPE

HERS
BOSS 260 03 XR8 SEDAN
Old 31-03-2009, 06:13 PM   #11
Rural 351
1000+ passes

Default fuel

Shell fuel has had its problems in the past and alot of sites ended up with a fine rusty mash sitting in the bottom of there under ground tanks real hard to clean out, I worked in the industry for 10 years the stuff in the under ground tanks as some mechanics would have come across in cars drys in to a fine powder looks like rust, ive heard it still gives problems now and then mostly straight after a fuel delivery stirs every thing up, it settles real quick but you may have been unlucky Gordon, You here people bag out united fuel but the united BOOST 98 with 10% ethanol is the best ive found in my octaine detector ute (12.8 to 1 ) Give it a go if you get the chance

Old 31-03-2009, 08:12 PM   #12
thunderoo
Blueprint of Perfection

We have quite a few BA / BF XR's and GT's as customers at work. And after talking to them before or after servicing, most of them do not use 98. Alan Lovedays BA GT that we service has been running quite happily on the united E10, which is a 95. We also service all the XR6 Turbos for the Highway patrol boys in Kempsey and now we are doing some highway cars from Port, they all run normal unleaded. The nearest United to me is Alan's servo where he doesn't have the boost, and the next nearest is the one at Telle Point. I dont have a favorite or prefered fuel, its just the shell servo is so handy for me, and ive had no probs until Sunday, and the only place that sells 98 in Wauchope is the Shell. I thought can it happen twice in a row....but it didn't. Ive been meaning to use the BP Ultimate, but ive have not had the chance yet, and they dont sell it in Kempsey. Ive never heard of octane booster affecting plugs, but for the heck of it i will pull them out during the week and have a look and ill let you know.
1974 XB COUPE

HERS
BOSS 260 03 XR8 SEDAN
Old 31-03-2009, 09:20 PM   #13
dreadly
Banned

Vortex 98 up this way is the best imao..... But my ute loves the mobile synergy 8000 when ever i can i fill it up with that. I used to like the shell when it was optimax i reckon it changed a bit... i dont rate the v power that high. Ive used the boost 98 before... has a lot of pep lol but gave me a bit of pinging. But hey each to their own- and each cars different too ;)
Old 01-04-2009, 12:14 AM   #14
dreadly
Banned

I say we organise some sort of petition... get the idea out there to all the local car clubs from coffs to foster.. aim for around 10k signatures? approach the council.. have the clubs chuck in some money each and have it assessed? for viability etc? May take us a while but geeze it'd be worth it! Kempsey would finally have a tourist attraction... and would inject some big money into the town..... from vendors, security, porta loos, tyre places, modification shops, mechanic workshops... we'd get a dyno in town some where.... Hell i reckon people would even move here to be able to race, surf, leave the hussle and bussle of the city. Think of the FUN we'd have and and an assett to the mid nth coast.

Every month 50- 100+ cars, $50- $100 per car entered.. family passes $30 2 adults 2 kids, alcohol tent, food stalls, show and shines, merch tents/stalls, Performance/spare parts tents/stalls... yearly memberships etc? start lunch time go through to 9pm? Like tacking the family to the cricket or footy?

Hit up all local club sponsors? then places like capa, bluepower, msd, crow cams, ford, nizpro, rba, etc sell em signs around the place $$$

Last edited by dreadly; 01-04-2009 at 12:24 AM.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:11 AM   #15
Rural 351
1000+ passes

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadly
I say we organise some sort of petition... get the idea out there to all the local car clubs from coffs to foster.. aim for around 10k signatures? approach the council.. have the clubs chuck in some money each and have it assessed? for viability etc? May take us a while but geeze it'd be worth it! Kempsey would finally have a tourist attraction... and would inject some big money into the town..... from vendors, security, porta loos, tyre places, modification shops, mechanic workshops... we'd get a dyno in town some where.... Hell i reckon people would even move here to be able to race, surf, leave the hussle and bussle of the city. Think of the FUN we'd have and and an assett to the mid nth coast.

Every month 50- 100+ cars, $50- $100 per car entered.. family passes $30 2 adults 2 kids, alcohol tent, food stalls, show and shines, merch tents/stalls, Performance/spare parts tents/stalls... yearly memberships etc? start lunch time go through to 9pm? Like tacking the family to the cricket or footy?

Hit up all local club sponsors? then places like capa, bluepower, msd, crow cams, ford, nizpro, rba, etc sell em signs around the place $$$
Yeh lets do it they tryed for a drag strip at Wingham years ago so I heard, any Drag strip up hear would be better than the on im using now it has to many bumps and a cattle crossing, The MG car clubs Drag strip down near Newcastle got caned a few months back "Greenys" suck, It would make the roads safer as all the young Hoons ( and old hoons ) would have a safe environment to put there cars to the test, It realy is a big money earner

Last edited by Rural 351; 01-04-2009 at 08:22 AM.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:44 AM   #16
Molloy
Captain beat down

11.524 nice! thats a solid number, drag racing is great fun when mines done the first place its going is WSID

Molloy's Build thread
Molloy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2009, 10:15 AM   #17
Rural 351
1000+ passes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molloy
11.524 nice! thats a solid number, drag racing is great fun when mines done the first place its going is WSID
Unreal let us know when im always looking for a reason to head to WSID, ruffy had some XR6 turbo he was playing with the other week cant remember how many RWKW it was doing but I remember it was more than me "once I heard that I automaticly stop hearing" My utes going like a turbo the mph is high for the ET its doing, But im real happy (what do I need for the autobarn dyno day a form or something?)

Old 01-04-2009, 07:06 PM   #18
thunderoo
Blueprint of Perfection

Quote:

I really hate to spoil your hopes Peter..you will not get this through the local council. Its been done and tryed before. Dont get me wrong mate....im all for it, i would hate to see you waste alot of time and effort meeting a dead end. My 2 cents which others will not like...but closer to the truth. Read IAM58L post above, Kempsey council is dead broke and in the red a couple of hundred thousand if you have been reading the paper, and getting a petition to turn part of the airport into a local dragstrip, which will cost the council quite a bit to do, i dont think any amount of signatures will change their minds.
1974 XB COUPE

HERS
BOSS 260 03 XR8 SEDAN

Last edited by thunderoo; 01-04-2009 at 07:18 PM.
Old 01-04-2009, 07:11 PM   #19
thunderoo
Blueprint of Perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau351
I went to the nostalgia drags at WSID on the same day as the gingers creek cruise (not sure where the most racing was) so what was the mishap Gordon? my old farm XY ute managed a 11.524 and 119.42mph the best its done so far, I hope soon a couple of you will be coming down to the drags with us, I dont want to be the only one trying to chuck rods 400ks from home. Im sure if you hang around with the likes of me for long enough you could all get hooked (and broke) on drag racing. It would be a shame for all those turbos and clevelands to be wasted on the street, you know what they say when the flag drops the #$@%&*% stops
Getting back to the threads main point...geezzee thats a good time Bruce, I dont think i will get the coupe down the quarter that quick ! At the moment i can see a mid to low 12 not a mid 11 !! Well done mate. But i have a large weight penalty compared to you.
1974 XB COUPE

HERS
BOSS 260 03 XR8 SEDAN
Old 01-04-2009, 08:50 PM   #20
CoupeCruiser09
Captain Planet

Gotta look after the brakes on the mountains Gordo!!
Old 01-04-2009, 08:54 PM   #21
thunderoo
Blueprint of Perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeCruiser09
Gotta look after the brakes on the mountains Gordo!!
YES Will !! You should know !!
1974 XB COUPE

HERS
BOSS 260 03 XR8 SEDAN
Old 01-04-2009, 09:00 PM   #22
Rural 351
1000+ passes

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderoo
Getting back to the threads main point...geezzee thats a good time Bruce, I dont think i will get the coupe down the quarter that quick ! At the moment i can see a mid to low 12 not a mid 11 !! Well done mate. But i have a large weight penalty compared to you.
The coupe may not do 11s straight away but with whats in & on that motor of yours it wouldnt take much to get it there, When I weighed my ute on the WSID scales a few meets ago it was 1660kgs with me in it a spare and a jack, I didnt think it would weigh that much so I dont carry a jack and big old steel rimed spare any more should have knocked a bit of weight off it, and last sunday I was running open pipes I dont think it helped so I will duck down to a wedensday night street meet soon and run it pipes on see how it compares, Gordon are you still going to get a C&V dyno tune?

Old 01-04-2009, 09:15 PM   #23
thunderoo
Blueprint of Perfection

Quote:
Gordon are you still going to get a C&V dyno tune?
NO......Kel Black from EDA Engineering in Sydney who built the 393 for me is comming up to tune it for me. Mick Chad in Port has purchased a brand new dyno, Mick Chad will not be involved as we have hired out his dyno only and not his services, at the same time we are tuning a 350 chev that is off its guts also, so it will be a good shoot out between the 2. I am purchasing a variety of holley jets, and some various sets of spark plugs. Quite welcome to come along on the day.
1974 XB COUPE

HERS
BOSS 260 03 XR8 SEDAN
Old 01-04-2009, 09:41 PM   #24
thunderoo
Blueprint of Perfection

Quote:
When I weighed my ute on the WSID scales a few meets ago it was 1660kgs with me in it a spare and a jack
I would say i will be around the 1800 kgs at a guess.
1974 XB COUPE

HERS
BOSS 260 03 XR8 SEDAN
Old 02-04-2009, 07:37 PM   #25
Molloy
Captain beat down

Quote:
Unreal let us know when im always looking for a reason to head to WSID, ruffy had some XR6 turbo he was playing with the other week cant remember how many RWKW it was doing but I remember it was more than me "once I heard that I automaticly stop hearing" My utes going like a turbo the mph is high for the ET its doing, But im real happy (what do I need for the autobarn dyno day a form or something?)
Just show up on the day, no forms needed mate

Molloy's Build thread
Molloy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2009, 08:12 PM   #26
dreadly
Banned

Where's the new dyno in port?? i need a tune ;)
Old 02-04-2009, 08:48 PM   #27
thunderoo
Blueprint of Perfection

Quote:
Where's the new dyno in port?? i need a tune ;)
Mick Chad at Port Macquarie Tuning 65811105 they are in Jambali Rd. I am only going there because we have hired out the dyno and not the operator. I have a guy comming up from Sydney that will be operating the dyno and doing the tune work on the coupe. Otherwise i would not be going there. Its working out alot cheaper for me to bring the tuner to the car than take the car to the tuner. And John from Engine world will also have alot of hands on that day aslo, so im in good hands. Yes, he has just purchased a new dyno, dont know what it is, Mick Chad has been around for years, heard some good, and some bad, your choice in the end.
1974 XB COUPE

HERS
BOSS 260 03 XR8 SEDAN
Old 02-04-2009, 09:29 PM   #28
Rural 351
1000+ passes

Quote:
Mick Chad at Port Macquarie Tuning 65811105 they are in Jambali Rd. I am only going there because we have hired out the dyno and not the operator. I have a guy comming up from Sydney that will be operating the dyno and doing the tune work on the coupe. Otherwise i would not be going there. Its working out alot cheaper for me to bring the tuner to the car than take the car to the tuner. And John from Engine world will also have alot of hands on that day aslo, so im in good hands. Yes, he has just purchased a new dyno, dont know what it is, Mick Chad has been around for years, heard some good, and some bad, your choice in the end.
Let us know when you will be there I would love to have a look, Port tuning used to have an old mainline dyno, I hope he got a dyno dynamics one now, my ute seems to hook up better on the dyno dynamics rollers (they have grooves along them)and gives real consistent readings but the mainline rollers have a criss cross pattern and my ute diddnt seem as consistent and it was real hard on my tyres it also reads about 50 hp less not that that matters its only a tuning instument,

Old 02-04-2009, 09:38 PM   #29
thunderoo
Blueprint of Perfection

Quote:
Let us know when you will be there I would love to have a look, Port tuning used to have an old mainline dyno, I hope he got a dyno dynamics one now, my ute seems to hook up better on the dyno dynamics rollers (they have grooves along them)and gives real consistent readings but the mainline rollers have a criss cross pattern and my ute diddnt seem as consistent and it was real hard on my tyres it also reads about 50 hp less not that that matters its only a tuning instument,
It was supposed to be this saturday, but now it is changed to just after Easter.
1974 XB COUPE

HERS
BOSS 260 03 XR8 SEDAN
Old 02-04-2009, 10:07 PM   #30
killerjoolz
KillerXR8

Quote:
could be seen as advertising....might get removed like the Taree guys post....just thought I'd let you know so you don't get in trouble....lol

2009 TWEEKD FG XR8 IN SILHOUETTE
all mods done by Walter Markham from Oztek Performance
killerjoolz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post