Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-02-2015, 11:06 PM   #1
4VCLEVO
XA GT

Default Extended warranty on new car. Worth the extra coin?

I've bought a new BT50 and it will be here in a week. The dealership has offered to extend the warranty out to 6 years 200,000km for $1780. He says that the warranty is with the same company that underwrites the factory warranty and covers everything a factory warranty covers.

Is it worth getting or are they just scaming more money out of me for a warranty thats not worth the paper its written on?

Anyone had any experience with claiming on an extended warranty?
Old 11-02-2015, 11:36 PM   #2
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Default Re: Extended warranty on new car. Worth the extra coin?

What company other than Mazda underwrite the factory Mazda warranty I wonder?

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2015, 08:00 AM   #3
MattSAU2XR8

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11432047
MattSAU2XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 12-02-2015, 09:39 AM   #4
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

I would go for it personally. But that is me!
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2015, 01:07 PM   #5
Sam_Boss260
Have Boost, will use it..

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcg2503 View Post
I would go for it personally. But that is me!
Agreed. I took the myFord extended warranty option on the G6ET when the factory was about to run out. Took the 2 year option from memory and I think it was about $1,400.

For me, it is peace of mind. Gearbox craps itself, or diff bushes and the warranty pays for itself.

I had this cover on the XR8 and the HIM unit went and leak from rear windscreen. Both fully covered under extended warranty and well and truly covered the cost of extended warranty.

If you can afford it, then I would say do it.
Sam_Boss260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2015, 02:09 PM   #6
Binny

Check if you can get it later. Circumstances can change so there's no point paying for it now if you end up deciding to sell the BT50 before it turns 3.
I know with the ford one you can get it later as long as its still within the factory warranty period at the time.
Your first 3 years may also be trouble free so you may decide not to worry about it.
Old 12-02-2015, 02:45 PM   #7
GT450
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had 2 extended warranties one on my GT for 3 years and one on my Mazda with an extra 2 years . Both were free but had clauses, both had to serviced at the selling dealerships ( the GT every 10Kms even though the book says 15Kms ).
I use the same workshop for all my cars not the dealer , and at the expiry of 1 year I received a reminder on the Ford to get it serviced , a month later i received a cancellation letter, no questions no excuses it's cancelled.
The Mazda dealership one was void too after one year but I received no notification.
My cars have been serviced by the book and only been to the dealer ( rarely ) for warranty. Extended warranty gives you peace of mind but somewhere along the line it costs so you have to decide . Service it well and all should be good, you're betting it may fail they are betting it may not, but like all insurance read the exclusions then see if it is worth it. Some people win with extended warranty but most who have to use it pay for it somewhere else.
GT450
GT450 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2015, 03:27 PM   #8
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

GT450 the extended warranty you have referred to above is NOT factory warranty.

The only warranty worth having is factory warranty...failing that a premium Allianz warranty....
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-02-2015, 05:07 PM   #9
Sam_Boss260
Have Boost, will use it..

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcg2503 View Post
GT450 the extended warranty you have referred to above is NOT factory warranty.

The only warranty worth having is factory warranty...failing that a premium Allianz warranty....
Correct. What GT450 seems to describe are the Dealer warranties which are completely useless and cover bugger all. All they are trying to do is ensure that you keep taking your car there for servicing.
Sam_Boss260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-02-2015, 09:21 AM   #10
GT450
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_Boss260 View Post
Correct. What GT450 seems to describe are the Dealer warranties which are completely useless and cover bugger all. All they are trying to do is ensure that you keep taking your car there for servicing.
[/I]
I agree Sam that's what most warranties are about, but if you are going to think about extended Ford warranty wait until your factory warranty is nearly up and consider what you want to do with your car before purchasing , and even then shop around as different dealers charge different prices for exactly the same thing and they will tell you it's Ford warranty when often it is not.

Some win with extended warranties , most don't need to claim so it pays for those who do and then some. It's comforting to have but service and look after your car and it's less likely you will need it. But that's my view and my Gt is coming up to it's eight birthday
GT450
GT450 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post