Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Ford Forums Central > Site Support

Site Support If something isn't working or you have a suggestion ( a nice one !! ) let us know here.

Old 30-06-2017, 02:46 PM   #1
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

Default Photobucket... WTF!!

Just received an email from Photobucket saying my account has been locked due to 3rd part hosting.
Says I need to upgrade to their Plus500 plan in order to restore features.
Ok, I thought, have had it good for a while now, am happy to pay a few bucks for this.
Went to log in to upgrade... its US$400 per year...!

Had a look at a few other threads and it looks like its happened to alot of us just now.

Have we lost photobucket for uploading pics?
2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread
Pepscobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 30-06-2017, 03:26 PM   #2
THE4RD
Landau - personal luxury

Default Re: Photobucket... WTF!!

Photobucket updated their Terms of Service, effective June 20, 2017.

Most of us using a Photobucket account to display images on this (and other Fora) were probably using Free Accounts. There's even a sticky thread in this section showing how to do it (using PB as the example)

The new ToS now states "The free account does not allow any image linking or 3rd party image hosting. If a free account Member exceeds their Content Limit, their account will be immediately suspended and they will need to become a “Paying Member” (defined below) in order to continue accessing their account. You can upgrade to a Plus account at any time."

To re-enable 3rd Party image hosting, you need to sign up to their highest package at $400 per year.

I wouldn't mind paying a reasonable charge - but this is ransom.

There is outcry all over the Net from the Forum and Blogging communities, and on the PB Facebook page. There are lots of posts on lots of Fora about alternatives - so I think that Photobucket has shot themselves in the foot. There are even posts predicting the demise of Photobucket due to the reputational damage they have self inflicted.

This has screwed up my Project Thread because all of the images are no longer visible and I can't edit the links to point to a new image hosting service even if I wanted to.
It's almost to the point where it not worth continuing to post in the Thread

Last edited by THE4RD; 30-06-2017 at 03:37 PM.
THE4RD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 30-06-2017, 03:27 PM   #3
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

It seems to be happening quite widely so yes, I'd say they have decided to monetise their service which would be fine if it was aligned with similar storage options for cost - which it isn't.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 30-06-2017, 03:32 PM   #4
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Those having issues with hosting build thread images do have the option of using the internal AFF gallery and linking from there. I can arrange bulk uploads for those with a lot if the original images are supplied and we can automate updating the image links that are broken to point at the new location.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 30-06-2017, 04:00 PM   #5
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
Those having issues with hosting build thread images do have the option of using the internal AFF gallery and linking from there. I can arrange bulk uploads for those with a lot if the original images are supplied and we can automate updating the image links that are broken to point at the new location.

Cheers
Russ
Sounds tricky, no...?
Also, won't this consume a lot of storage space on your servers?
The whole reason we used hosting sites in the first place?

I'm shattered by this and I ain't paying $400.
My project build thread is in tatters now.
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
I use & recommend:

Old 30-06-2017, 04:19 PM   #6
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Mine is still working OK
Cav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2017, 04:50 PM   #7
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

This is fairly serious for AFF.

I don't think many members here have realized the implications of Photobucket's decision and what it will have on AFF.

Many members over the years have used Photobucket to host their images used in threads here... Especially ones related to tutorials and troubleshooting. This stuff is timeless and a great resource.. and will be just as valuable 10 years from now for members.

All the photo essays using Photobucket for example in the tech resources section including mine are now ruined.

It's not a question of just uploading the original photos to here or another photo hosting site.... The problem is remembering which photo you used at which place in the right order in say a thread or photo essay since you can't see them.

Even if you could, it would be a ton of work for mods to do all the relinking on hundreds of threads.
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2017, 03:33 PM   #8
Fed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Upload to fordforums that way they can't go MIA.
Fed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2017, 05:31 PM   #9
FairmontGS
WT WRC GT Line
Donating Member3

A bit more warning than a week from PhotoBucketHead would have been nice.
FairmontGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-06-2017, 06:02 PM   #10
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

It is problematic certainly but not impossible.

Image links are stored in the database as URL's and the bulk of the Tech Portal docs use images hosted here. It is easy enough (using database commands) to amend the URL for a hosted image to another one as long as the image name hasn't changed. It's a basic find and replace task that can be done per user or per thread.

Yes it is not ideal but we'll go through the exercise for anyone who wants to do so.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 30-06-2017, 07:58 PM   #11
NeillNZ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has contributed a number of great technical articles for people with X Series cars. 

Quote:

Image links are stored in the database as URL's and the bulk of the Tech Portal docs use images hosted here. It is easy enough (using database commands) to amend the URL for a hosted image to another one as long as the image name hasn't changed. It's a basic find and replace task that can be done per user or per thread.

Yes it is not ideal but we'll go through the exercise for anyone who wants to do so.

Cheers
Russ
I'm keen to give this a go.

So as I understand it so long as I copy all of my Photobucket library to a new service and leave the file names intact your program/robot will be able to go through all of my threads and modify the URLs to suit the new remote server?

Russell, is there a hosting service you can recommend? I don't mind paying so long as it's like say $20/yr and not $400! I've looked at Imgur but I'm not sure.

Once it's done I'll put up an instructional thread.

I'm guessing PB has been bought out and the new owners have seen a brilliant way to make a lot of money. Only it's not going to work. It's akin to ransom ware.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:18 PM   #12
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

Quote:

Cheers
Russ
Hi Russ,

I'd like to salvage my current Project Car build thread and would like to take up this offer. What is the process please and where do I save the files?

Thanks.
Mods so far:
Mods to come:
I use & recommend:

Old 30-06-2017, 06:46 PM   #13
BLU-220
FG XR50 TURBO
Donating Member3

Well F U photobucket you have lost all my images on AFF I hope you get burnt in a big way I will be not using PB never again
I am very annoyed now so I'm not posting anymore on here until it's fixed

Ps.. Russell did fix my images in my AU2 GHIA build thread it takes some time to do, but that was by making them smaller
I don't know how the other way is going to be

cheers Dean
BLU-220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-06-2017, 06:54 PM   #14
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Catering services for a bunch of layabouts and for being an all-round good guy whose sense of community goes above and beyond. 

You have to wonder if there will be a world wide backlash re PB's decision?

Let's hope they reverse this idiotic move...
Old 30-06-2017, 07:01 PM   #15
PridenJoy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his contributions to the forum, especially showcased with his highly detailed AU build threads. He is a fountain of AU knowledge. 

Wow just seen this. All my pics through all my build threads have completely vanished just like that. Photobucket you big mofos.

Russ? Help?
PridenJoy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 30-06-2017, 07:07 PM   #16
Bossxr8
Peter Car

PB is buggy as all hell anyway. And they want people to pay for their joke of a site? Never seen a site freeze up as badly and continually as theirs.

Haven't seen my build thread but if the pics are gone i won't be happy. They can shove $400 up their clackers.

Edit- seems my pics are still up.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 30-06-2017, 07:24 PM   #17
byamin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Pretty terrible what they have done, they have destroyed so many resources and peoples documentation of their history.

I'm hoping it gets reversed, it would be good if it does and if we could edit our old posts, as id repost all of mine with a different hosting site then remove my account with them.

Ps. Crossing fingers and toes they restore it

2000 Fairmont Ghia V8 - Liquid Silver
byamin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2017, 07:45 PM   #18
byamin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Me Again haha

I was reading through face book, and saw someone mention that if you
log into your account - select the image - click the zoom - then back out of the image when you refresh your threads window the images reappear.

Ive just tried this and its true. I dont know if others can view this or not however. Still not much help for those that have threads extending past 161 pages for example

2000 Fairmont Ghia V8 - Liquid Silver
byamin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2017, 07:52 PM   #19
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by byamin View Post
Me Again haha

log into your account - select the image - click the zoom - then back out of the image when you refresh your threads window the images reappear.

Ive just tried this and its true. I dont know if others can view this or not however. Still not much help for those that have threads extending past 161 pages for example
It appears you're back in business.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2017, 09:47 PM   #20
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by byamin View Post
Me Again haha

Just tried this on a few images and it did not work for me
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2017, 08:50 PM   #21
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

There are a couple of options open to those with build threads or tech docs that contained images hosted by photobucket.

Simplest. We can remove the current daily image restrictions on the AFF gallery as this allows bulk uploads of images to a users gallery space (which will still have to be restricted to some sort of size per user) and then I can run database queries to redirect the image URL's to that gallery space. It's a bit finite for space as we only have ~650 Gb of space currently available but it's workable as a solution and we can possibly add more disk (albeit probably only another 1TB) without much difficulty and at not much cost.

There are a couple of riders for that one (or indeed most of these). The images are going to have to have the same image name as they had on photobucket and they need to be in the users personal gallery space.

A bit harder. We can set up a public SFTP space on our server. Same space limitations as above and again it would need to be space limited to 'something' per user but it's easily accessible with a client like WinSCP which provides a Windows Explorer style interface and supports bulk upload to that FTP space. Images can then be linked directly from that space and the URL's of existing images fixed the same way as above with the only proviso that image names need to be unchanged.

Fiddly but workable. Users can migrate their existing images to a new image hosting service and we can again (probably) amend the URL's as long as they don't do something stupid with the naming and they support HTTPS. All the same riders apply as above with the added proviso that they must support 3rd party linking which not everyone will do.

Harder but probably best long term: We can just set up a dedicated image hosting server with our ISP that is in the same domain space as AFF so that it acts like a subdomain and images won't be seen as 3rd party links. It's got a cost attached to it so it would have to be chargeable based on storage size. As a guide, adding 4Tb of scalable backed up NAS or SAN storage is going to cost about 75 cents / Gb so allowing for some overhead and 60% utilisation we'd need to be looking at something around $1.50 per Gb per annum in (say) blocks of 5 Gb. We could put an image management app on the front of our current server backed onto that storage to make uploading and managing images simple. It's a bit of work to get it set up but it is feasible.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 01-07-2017, 05:19 AM   #22
GTENVY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Harder but probably best long term: We can just set up a dedicated image hosting server with our ISP that is in the same domain space as AFF so that it acts like a subdomain and images won't be seen as 3rd party links. It's got a cost attached to it so it would have to be chargeable based on storage size. As a guide, adding 4Tb of scalable backed up NAS or SAN storage is going to cost about 75 cents / Gb so allowing for some overhead and 60% utilisation we'd need to be looking at something around $1.50 per Gb per annum in (say) blocks of 5 Gb. We could put an image management app on the front of our current server backed onto that storage to make uploading and managing images simple. It's a bit of work to get it set up but it is feasible.

Cheers
Russ
Russ, I for one would be happy to pay a small annual fee to FF for this. PB can go and get.... well you know what

Rich

Live, Love, RACE

SOLD: AU III XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a
cars are to be driven, ornaments are to be looked at. the two should never be confused.
GTENVY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2017, 04:56 PM   #23
toughxc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
There are a couple of options open to those with build threads or tech docs that contained images hosted by photobucket.

Simplest. We can remove the current daily image restrictions on the AFF gallery as this allows bulk uploads of images to a users gallery space (which will still have to be restricted to some sort of size per user) and then I can run database queries to redirect the image URL's to that gallery space. It's a bit finite for space as we only have ~650 Gb of space currently available but it's workable as a solution and we can possibly add more disk (albeit probably only another 1TB) without much difficulty and at not much cost.

There are a couple of riders for that one (or indeed most of these). The images are going to have to have the same image name as they had on photobucket and they need to be in the users personal gallery space.

A bit harder. We can set up a public SFTP space on our server. Same space limitations as above and again it would need to be space limited to 'something' per user but it's easily accessible with a client like WinSCP which provides a Windows Explorer style interface and supports bulk upload to that FTP space. Images can then be linked directly from that space and the URL's of existing images fixed the same way as above with the only proviso that image names need to be unchanged.

Fiddly but workable. Users can migrate their existing images to a new image hosting service and we can again (probably) amend the URL's as long as they don't do something stupid with the naming and they support HTTPS. All the same riders apply as above with the added proviso that they must support 3rd party linking which not everyone will do.

Cheers
Russ
Thanks for the possible options Russ.

So I think if you can confirm a way forward I'd prefer to give ford forums some $$ rather then photo bucket I've just downloaded my album from Photobucket waiting to find out where to upload it to.

As others have too, i have a 10 yr old thread which i use regularly for a build diary and without the pics I'm stuffed. ( i cant remember what i did last week and revert to the thread to remind myself all the time).

Last edited by toughxc; 01-07-2017 at 05:23 PM.
toughxc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
10 users like this post:
Old 30-06-2017, 10:01 PM   #24
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

Reading a lot of backlash online about this.
Do you reckon photobucket might reverse their decision?
Mods so far:
Mods to come:
I use & recommend:

2 users like this post:
Old 30-06-2017, 10:16 PM   #25
PridenJoy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his contributions to the forum, especially showcased with his highly detailed AU build threads. He is a fountain of AU knowledge. 

Four hundred *****in dollars??? Reminds me of Dr Evil talking to the White House crew 'I want 500 million trillion gazillion dollars'
PridenJoy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-06-2017, 10:24 PM   #26
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Catering services for a bunch of layabouts and for being an all-round good guy whose sense of community goes above and beyond. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PridenJoy View Post
Four hundred *****in dollars??? Reminds me of Dr Evil talking to the White House crew 'I want 500 million trillion gazillion dollars'
Loaded using Flikr...

Old 30-06-2017, 10:44 PM   #27
nstg8a

Tapatalk also has free image hosting. For now anyway.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2017, 06:13 AM   #28
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

offers free service for 14 years, changes mind as they are entitled too and whamo, freeloaders revolt!
funny stuff.

JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2017, 06:41 AM   #29
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpblue1000 View Post
offers free service for 14 years, changes mind as they are entitled too and whamo, freeloaders revolt!
funny stuff.

JP
Quite an ironic comment to come from a non-donating AFF member.

I have absolutely no problem if photobucket wants to change their mind about their charges. It was the way they went about it.
PG2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2017, 08:21 AM   #30
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG2 View Post
Quite an ironic comment to come from a non-donating AFF member.

I have absolutely no problem if photobucket wants to change their mind about their charges. It was the way they went about it.
But I wont be revolting against changes at AFF and cursing and jumping up and down as Im not a financial supporter of this site, I acknowledge I have no rights.
Agreed their PR is poor but the global response is typical.
Get something for free and entitlement sets in, 'I have aright to free stuff!'.
One old trick is to get the people hooked then charge them money!

JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post