Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-08-2023, 04:24 PM   #1
Hemihunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Our 3 year old Ford Demo Purchase - was in a rear end accident

We purchased this 3 years ago from a Ford Dealer knowing it was a Demo with 2,500 klms, still under factory warranty, turns out the car has had a rear end accident before we purchased it, is this something the dealer should have advised before purchase? do we have any recourse on the dealer at all? Haven't bought it to the dealers attention as yet, just curious how to proceed.
Hemihunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2023, 05:48 PM   #2
Itsme
Experienced Member

Default Re: Our 3 year old Ford Demo Purchase - was in a rear end accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemihunter View Post
We purchased this 3 years ago from a Ford Dealer knowing it was a Demo with 2,500 klms, still under factory warranty, turns out the car has had a rear end accident before we purchased it, is this something the dealer should have advised before purchase? do we have any recourse on the dealer at all? Haven't bought it to the dealers attention as yet, just curious how to proceed.
Ethically it would be nice to be told but being a demo will have its drawbacks to its cheap price.
Also depends on what type of damage, I'd have a talk with them especially if the repaired damage is going to have ongoing concerns

Last edited by Itsme; 21-08-2023 at 05:54 PM.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2023, 05:58 PM   #3
MrEL
Sick Puppy

If its taken you 3 years for it to become an issue it obviously isn't really an issue is it?
MrEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-08-2023, 06:21 PM   #4
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

yes, as it affects it's resale value
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2023, 06:40 PM   #5
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've known dealers repairing brand new vehicles with aftermarket parts, unbeknownst to the purchaser.

If it's a repairable write off I'm pretty sure they have to mention it. I imagine if you confront them they'll just deny knowing anything.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2023, 07:19 PM   #6
Hemihunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEL View Post
If its taken you 3 years for it to become an issue it obviously isn't really an issue is it?
Its not something i like to find , id rather be told up front
Hemihunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 21-08-2023, 08:28 PM   #7
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Morally wrong, but unless it was a repairable write off and reported as such it isn't illegal for them not to tell you.
Old 22-08-2023, 09:29 AM   #8
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

How did you find out after 3 years?
Old 22-08-2023, 10:58 AM   #9
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemihunter View Post
Well this is very interesting because I have the same issue! I am yet to bring it back up with the Dealer in QLD because I havent had the time to understand how bad the issue is.

We picked up a ex-demo Pajero Sport, I drove it from the dealer in brissy back to Rockhampton and half way into the trip I went to fuel up.

Start to put fuel in it and next thing you know the fuel is pouring out onto the ground.

I think take the inner wheel guard off and low and behold the fuel filler was not connected to the tank! I think get it home and follow up and they said they had some vandals in the area stealing fuel and that would be it. I then pushed them for a longer warranty period given I was worried about injector life and got that.

So....the other month I install a HD tow bar on it, well, what a sag that was. The local Mitsu dealer installed and there was a rattle..exhaust was touching the mount.

So I took it back and said fit it, they took days then got back to be and apparently the exhaust was out of alignment! A deeper look and at some point the car must of had a hit on the rear and it was fixed but they didnt align the exhaust and reconnect the filler pipe! (my assumption).

So now I also have some contact with the driveshaft when we go over very deep/long bumps so I need to get that looked at.

I am freakin furious because it only had 13,000kms and I did a check on it and nothing on the register.

Given we have had it for 5 years I a not sure if I have a leg to stand on but I will follow it up next week. But we had no idea until I put that HD tow bar on, otherwise it drives perfect but if I cant tow properly then that defeats the purpose of the car.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 22-08-2023, 01:37 PM   #10
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Look at it another way

The vehicle must be roadworthy at the point of sale for the dealer.

This should be supplied at the time of sale.

If there are safety issues, then this casts doubt on the person giving the roadworthy certificate.

A check on your state govmint website may give you some more info.

Rather than relying on the warranty issue, it may be more fruitful to threaten that you will report them for issuing a dodgy roadworthy.

I'm not a lawyer, I am just a big-noting smartarse.
Cav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 23-08-2023, 03:10 PM   #11
bangm001
Mopar! But Own F6's..

This should have been picked up by you or someone else upon pickup of the vehicle, before even driving it off. Repairs are usually pretty easy to spot, even just from the outside. 3 years on is a bit of an ask IMO.
Old 24-08-2023, 12:05 AM   #12
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
yes, as it affects it's resale value
Only if the prospective purchaser knows about it.
arm79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2023, 01:12 AM   #13
prydey
Rob

Plenty of people buy cars that have had accident repairs done. I've sold cars that have had accident repairs done. I've bought cars that have had accident repairs done.

As long as the car is roadworthy there is no obligation to disclose the history of the car, unless its a repaired write off or such like.
Old 24-08-2023, 02:52 AM   #14
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

My XB GT coupe has bog in the driver's side rear quarter. Prior owner didn't tell me. I'm livid!

FairmontGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-08-2023, 11:25 AM   #15
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
My XB GT coupe has bog in the driver's side rear quarter. Prior owner didn't tell me. I'm livid!

I can take that off your hands.
You dont want to be left with something like that

ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 24-08-2023, 11:50 AM   #16
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangm001 View Post
This should have been picked up by you or someone else upon pickup of the vehicle, before even driving it off. Repairs are usually pretty easy to spot, even just from the outside. 3 years on is a bit of an ask IMO.
True story, a panel beater business that I have needed all too often over the years bought an new M3 coupe years ago...at hand over refused to accept delivery...when asked obviously why, he stated "as you know, I'm a panel beater that occasionally does work for your dealership....let me know when the replacement car arrives and do you want me to quote the re-spray for this one"?

Edit: Ooops..Forgot to explain, the M3 had rear rhs quarter panel repair that he picked up immediately.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 24-08-2023, 12:12 PM   #17
bangm001
Mopar! But Own F6's..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith View Post
True story, a panel beater business that I have needed all too often over the years bought an new M3 coupe years ago...at hand over refused to accept delivery...when asked obviously why, he stated "as you know, I'm a panel beater that occasionally does work for your dealership....let me know when the replacement car arrives and do you want me to quote the re-spray for this one"?

Edit: Ooops..Forgot to explain, the M3 had rear rhs quarter panel repair that he picked up immediately.
I also know of a few people who have rejected "brand new" cars, albiet just mazdas / holdens etc. I also know of a very high end ferrari that had repairs done which was brand spanking new (near on a million dollar car). I would never buy a car without looking at it properly first.
Old 24-08-2023, 01:14 PM   #18
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangm001 View Post
I also know of a few people who have rejected "brand new" cars, albiet just mazdas / holdens etc. I also know of a very high end ferrari that had repairs done which was brand spanking new (near on a million dollar car). I would never buy a car without looking at it properly first.
Sometimes an expert can only spot the issues..the same panel beater I referred to was once repairing our Territory and called me to ask "who had repaired our car previously". I was shocked as I answered no-one, it's never been damaged before. He asked me to come down and proceeded to show me the paint lines on the inside of the front driver's door skin and around the lock etc where it was obviously taped off and painted but some scratches were still there at the bottom....I did actually find out it was repaired at the factory before shipping to the dealer after a favour by someone with some "mates". Initially I thought it was the dealer however they were adamant it wasn't and they too got the same response from FoMoCo. until my contact dug deeper.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2023, 02:07 PM   #19
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith View Post
Sometimes an expert can only spot the issues..the same panel beater I referred to was once repairing our Territory and called me to ask "who had repaired our car previously". I was shocked as I answered no-one, it's never been damaged before. He asked me to come down and proceeded to show me the paint lines on the inside of the front driver's door skin and around the lock etc where it was obviously taped off and painted but some scratches were still there at the bottom....I did actually find out it was repaired at the factory before shipping to the dealer after a favour by someone with some "mates". Initially I thought it was the dealer however they were adamant it wasn't and they too got the same response from FoMoCo. until my contact dug deeper.
And this is the quandary, in my mind. When does a repair become unacceptable? The vast majority of purchasers would never be aware that their vehicle, purchased new, may have gone through a repair at the factory prior to delivery. And even if they did, most would not be too concerned by it and would happily pay full asking price, even if that was below RRP.

At the other end of the scale, you have repairs that are obvious, have been shoddily executed and/or are down right shonky. In this case, a reduction in asking price over a non-repaired vehicle would be expected and probably reasonable.

So, with that in mind, back to the OP's post. If the repair has been carried out professionally, and has no impact on the roadworthiness of the vehicle, does it warrant a price reduction? Extra warranty? What if it was repaired as a result of being transported here? Does that make a difference?

Tough one, IMHO. I really don't think it's black or white. At the end of the day, if the repair is professional, doesn't result in the vehicle being considered unroadworthy (not that I have much faith in that system alone), and don't have an impact on the cost of ownership (ie doesn't impact on sale price or cause additional maintenance costs over the life of the vehicle) then I think it's time to enjoy the ownership of the vehicle and move on.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post: