Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-08-2018, 07:24 PM   #1
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Wire van fridge for 12v

Hi everyone

Asking here because it’s about more than one area.

Got a ba fairmont ghia with reversing sensors and was wondering how you’d disable them when trailer or vans on, there’s a 7 pin flat and a 12 pin flat that has the cutout switch for the sensors but don’t think there’s a 7 pin round with that cut out switch.

With wiring the vans fridge on 12v they usually have another circuit just to power the fridge only and another one through the battery isolator to charge up the house battery through a grey anderson plug.

The van fridge years and years back they just ran the power through pin 2 on trailer plug but now days it’s not rated heavy enough so they usually have power through a second anderson plug (usually black or a different colour to the charging one) so you can’t plug it in wrong plugs, or they use the heavier pins in a 12 pin flat trailer plug to power the fridge and the grey anderson plug to charge batteries.

What would you’s go with if you got a car with reverse sensor or you want to be able to switch between cars camera and vans camera when you plug the trailer plug in.

What’s the maximum size wire that fits in the normal pins and the heavier pins on the 12 pin trailer plug.

Can you buy things that you crimp a wire onto like a battery lug that has a pin that you insert into a pin on trailer plug like a wire that you insert and screw down and ifso what sizes can you get. Something like this https://goo.gl/images/mvA6Sm but goes on a trailer wire or 8 b&s wire for fridge.

Thanks for any help
car10002 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2018, 09:13 PM   #2
slowsnake
Banned

Default Re: Wire van fridge for 12v

Quote:
Originally Posted by car10002 View Post
Hi everyone

Asking here because it’s about more than one area.

Got a ba fairmont ghia with reversing sensors and was wondering how you’d disable them when trailer or vans on, there’s a 7 pin flat and a 12 pin flat that has the cutout switch for the sensors but don’t think there’s a 7 pin round with that cut out switch.

With wiring the vans fridge on 12v they usually have another circuit just to power the fridge only and another one through the battery isolator to charge up the house battery through a grey anderson plug.

The van fridge years and years back they just ran the power through pin 2 on trailer plug but now days it’s not rated heavy enough so they usually have power through a second anderson plug (usually black or a different colour to the charging one) so you can’t plug it in wrong plugs, or they use the heavier pins in a 12 pin flat trailer plug to power the fridge and the grey anderson plug to charge batteries.

What would you’s go with if you got a car with reverse sensor or you want to be able to switch between cars camera and vans camera when you plug the trailer plug in.

What’s the maximum size wire that fits in the normal pins and the heavier pins on the 12 pin trailer plug.

Can you buy things that you crimp a wire onto like a battery lug that has a pin that you insert into a pin on trailer plug like a wire that you insert and screw down and ifso what sizes can you get. Something like this https://goo.gl/images/mvA6Sm but goes on a trailer wire or 8 b&s wire for fridge.

Thanks for any help
I had similar issue 2009 with my Mazda Bravo and off road aluminium camper trailer,I did run an Anderson plug from my second battery ( 120 amp glass matt ) to a spot under back bumper then run a wire back into the side of the rear left tub, put a heavy duty female plug there,so when not pulling trailer I just put my 40 litre Waco in back of tub and plugged into the back wired Anderson plug, my wire was from memory I used 8mm cable.

Billy.

PS..run 10mm between my battery's and isolator!
slowsnake is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2018, 09:19 PM   #3
slowsnake
Banned

Hello,
This may help,

https://www.narva.com.au/resources/t...wiring-diagram

Billy.
Old 02-08-2018, 07:38 PM   #4
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sounds like a job for a 'good' auto electrician?

Too many sensors, plugs, vans, caravans, etc etc for me to get my head around at the moment.....LOL!!!!
GASWAGON is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2018, 01:24 PM   #5
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Been reading up and apparently new vans have 12pin and you run fridge through that and a anderson to charge or a second anderson for fridge and power esc through 12 pin
Old 03-08-2018, 01:54 PM   #6
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That would be right about the 12 pin plug supplying fridge power.Be very careful that you use an ignition activated power supply,because caravan fridges draw around 20 amps when working,which will flatten your tow vehicles battery overnight.
Tassie f100 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2018, 02:14 PM   #7
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So the heavy pins in the 12 pin are ok for van fridge big or small and how do you get 8 b&s cable in the pins can you buy pin ferrules that you crimp onto the wire or can you just trim a couple mm strands off and if you do will it be ok for that cm or 2 difference in thickness
Old 03-08-2018, 02:36 PM   #8
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Theres been a lot of issues with the 12 pin plugs when running chargers and fridges through them and many people are opting to simply seperate the circuits and run anderson plugs for piece of mind.
Try somewhere like the Home of 12v shop at Pooraka for a pre made anderson plug circuit which can be bought to suit the vehicle you drive.
I have a BF wagon and i simply told them what i had and they supplied me with a complete kit to install myself with everything required.
I also bought a special trailer plug from Autobahn which has a 7 pin flat plug for trailer wiring and a piggybacked anderson plug so it all looks neat and simple.
The only other thing you'll need is a Redarc isolator which arent cheap.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 03-08-2018, 02:39 PM   #9
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You won,t need 8bs cable,6 mm twin core should be plenty as it,s rated at around 35 amps
Old 03-08-2018, 03:31 PM   #10
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Probably not such a drama when actually towing but certain Aussie 12v/240v frigs are not CE approved. Which is a pain when parked on 12v.

I found this out when I bought an Engel front door model for a motorhome and it caused me no end of grief with radio / CB radio and TV interference until the penny dropped and had to install a RF blocker ring around the power line. Also had a similar model in a yacht and it caused
radio / navigational interference as well when ever the motor would kick in.

After much research I found Engel are one of the few who's frigs are not CE approved and are not approved for fitment in boats.

As others have said a simple Anderson style plug separate from your other hitch wiring would be the go.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2018, 04:23 PM   #11
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by car10002 View Post
you are correct. there is no round plug with a reed switch. If you want to keep your sensors you need to run a 'flat plug to round plug' adapter, which are readily available, or change your trailer to a flat 7 or 12pin to match your car.

I did this with my territory. initially I changed to a 7 pin round on the car and disabled the beepers so it didn't beep constantly, but I wanted my beepers back, so I went back to the factory 12 pin and changed my van over to a flat 12 pin.

Running a 12v fridge through the 12pin plug (pin 8 I think is aux) is possible if you use 6mm wire (which does just fit in the pins) however if you plan any long drives this could still have the potential to melt your plug. If you only drive up to half a day, then it would probably be ok.

As mentioned, most 'vanners run 2 andersons. one for house battery and one for the fridge.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2018, 04:40 PM   #12
BlueBear
Shockwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
You won,t need 8bs cable,6 mm twin core should be plenty as it,s rated at around 35 amps
You will end up with a large voltage drop if you use 6mm auto wire.
Might be rated at 35 amps, but that rating is for the insulator material.
IMO, never use auto wire for big power uses, use a voltage drop calculator to get the correct size wiring for the length you are running.

Cheers,
BlueBear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2018, 06:47 PM   #13
Warrenk

Agree with Blue Bear on not using 6mm auto cable. I would probably use 6B&S as voltage drop can be a problem running fridges. A far as reverse senors. Our vehicle has a switch which I can turn them off, but rarely do.

Warren
Old 03-08-2018, 07:31 PM   #14
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Hello, 6mm is way too light, mine was wired by a proper electrical installer, 8mm and 10mm between both batteries and the isolator.
From memory B/S cable with hydraulic clamped fittings then run through a protective split spiral cover and cable tied and run through chassis rail.
Had absolutely no issues, well worth the money back then, but I was towing a trailer not caravan, my trailer was running 2 x 110amp gel batteries.

Never let me down off road or on the blacktop!

And the difference between products and labour etc varied by as much as 100%, I will not name the company who was double everyone else, so be very careful, lot of vultures out there, do your homework before committing.

Regards Billy.
Old 03-08-2018, 10:09 PM   #15
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If 6mm twin core is too light I would upgrade to 8b&s, 6 b& s would be a bit of an overkill. I actually changed my van wiring from Anderson plug to wiring to the van batteries.While travelling the van battery is getting charged,then when I park I switch the fridge to gas. If I forget( which I haven,t done yet) the fridge is going to flatten the van batteries,not the tow car battery.
Old 03-08-2018, 10:24 PM   #16
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
If 6mm twin core is too light I would upgrade to 8b&s, 6 b& s would be a bit of an overkill. I actually changed my van wiring from Anderson plug to wiring to the van batteries.While travelling the van battery is getting charged,then when I park I switch the fridge to gas. If I forget( which I haven,t done yet) the fridge is going to flatten the van batteries,not the tow car battery.
If you run an isolator it cant flatten the start battery, however, if you forget to switch to gas whilst on the house battery you run the risk of damaging it which can be $$'s.
I run an anderson for the fridge from the car through a Redarc isolator and have a seperate anderson from the house battery which i can plug my portable solar (180w) or ARKPAK (130ah) into.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2018, 10:29 PM   #17
BlueBear
Shockwave

This calculator is simple and easy, just keep in mind it's in feet - not metres.
https://www.wirebarn.com/Wire-Calculator-_ep_41.html

Also keep in mind that every join in the wiring such as an anderson plug for instance, increases the resistance and therefore making greater voltage loss.
My recommendation would be to use the calculator and instead of choosing the minimum recommended, go one higher.

Cheers,
BlueBear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post