Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-12-2011, 12:55 PM   #1
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Default First Drive: Falcon Ecoboost

http://smh.drive.com.au/motor-news/f...205-1oe40.html

Ford’s new EcoBoost Falcon may have two fewer cylinders than its six-cylinder brethren, but it’s lacking nothing in performance.

For a while there, it looked like Queensland would never win a Sheffield Shield. But a few years ago, that changed.

The smart money also suggested that our Stateside friends would never elect an Afro-American to the office of president. Wrong again.

And for my part, I would have bet real money that I’d never be sitting in the driver’s seat of a four-cylinder Ford Falcon. And yet, here I am.

Advertisement: Story continues below Never say never, it seems.

Australian Falcons and big capacity six-cylinder engines go together like beer and eskies. Always have.

But in an attempt to offer its customers a Falcon with improved fuel economy and regain some lost sales, Ford Australia has –in a nutshell - taken the turbocharged four-cylinder engine from the Mondeo EcoBoost and slotted it into the FG Falcon’s cavernous engine bay.

See more details of the new Ford Falcon four-cylinder EcoBoost.

No technical details have been forthcoming, but in Mondeo EcoBoost form, the 2.0-litre engine pushes out 149kW of power and 300Nm of torque, good numbers in themselves, but down on the 195kW and 391Nm respectively of the traditional, six-cylinder-powered version of the Falcon.

In the Volvo S60, the same turbocharged 2.0-litre four-cylinder produces 177kW and 320Nm, which is close to where we’re expecting the Falcon. It makes sense from a marketing perspective – there’s more than the Mondeo EcoBoost but less than the bread-and-butter of the Falcon world, the inline six-cylinder that’s twice its size.

That said, the seat of the pants suggests a power figure closer to 170kW for the four-cylinder engine in the Falcon Ecoboost.

And let’s not forget that the AU Falcon of 1998 boasted a power figure of just 157kW, and nobody ever complained that that car was underpowered.

But more importantly than just numbers, how does the four-cylinder Falcon EcoBoost feel to drive?

Just sitting in the car with the engine running is an exercise in altered perceptions. Revving the engine reveals a fairly refined powerplant, but one that is identifiably missing a couple of cylinders. It’s not quite as dramatic as watching a grown man with a toddler’s voice, but it’s still a bit mind-altering.

With the six-speed automatic transmission offering a little slip to mask a tiny bit of turbo-lag off idle, the four-cylinder Falcon steps off the mark quite well.

It revs up with enthusiasm, too, although the last 1000rpm or so feel a bit hard to come by. Again, this is not uncommon with turbocharged powerplants, which often produce their best at low or middle engine revs – where most people use them most of the time.

But what is impressive is the engine’s mid-range punch which gives the sort of relaxed progress that has been a major characteristic of all Falcons over the years.

Against the stop-watch (but not as scientific as tailored testing equipment) the Ecoboost Falcon doesn’t appear to give much away to its six-cylinder stalemate.

A 0 to 100km/h dash in the six-cylinder FG Falcon of 7.1 seconds was almost matched by the 7.6 of the EcoBoost car.

The best news is that the Ecoboost Falcon has shed about 60kg and this shows up as a much more talkative, entertaining front end.

The Ecoboost not only steers more accurately and naturally, it wants you to know it as well.

The bottom line is that the biggest hurdle for the Ecoboost Falcon will be a cultural one, not an actual product limitation.

Ford is still being very tight-lipped on pricing and while it’s tempting to think the Ecoboost Falcon will be the entry-level car, previous suggestions have been that it would actually carry a price premium. In other markets, the EcoBoost variants of certain Ford models are actually marketed as premium products and priced accordingly.

However, Ford is understood to be stepping away from this, accepting the fact that Australians generally don’t like paying more for fewer cylinders.

Best guesstimates – and a nod and a wink from Ford insiders - have the Falcon EcoBoost being priced at the same price as the six-cylinder versions it will sell alongside; the Falcon four-cylinder EcoBoost wll be available as an entry-level XT, G6 and flagship, leather-clad G6E.

The Ecoboost Falcon’s launch date has been delayed since the model was announced, but look for it early in 2012.

Falc'man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2011, 12:57 PM   #2
Kryton

Default Re: First Drive: Falcon Ecoboost

A video would have been good.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2011, 12:59 PM   #3
Simple6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Tech article on rear bushes. 

Sounds promising!

I like that they're comparing to the AU's power output because it'll put the lack of (paper written) power into perspective - and that it's not that bad.

Keen on pricing info/power figures!
Old 05-12-2011, 12:59 PM   #4
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sounds very impressive! Excellent acceleration figures.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2011, 01:18 PM   #5
prydey
Rob

good positive review by drive.

Quote:
The bottom line is that the biggest hurdle for the Ecoboost Falcon will be a cultural one, not an actual product limitation.
^^this
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2011, 01:19 PM   #6
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Mmmm... FG2 XT looks good too.... Set of super low king springs and it would be a nice car!!
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2011, 01:25 PM   #7
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Thats a good add, some people will flip out when they see how much room is in there...eccchoooo
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2011, 01:30 PM   #8
XtRmn8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT
Mmmm... FG2 XT looks good too.... Set of super low king springs and it would be a nice car!!
....and some nice 18 or 19 inch wheels, would make a sweet cruiser. Also tick the $500 8" colour ICC option.
XtRmn8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2011, 01:33 PM   #9
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Could it produce a new breed of turbo modding enthusiasts? I don't know. My guess is possibly but only to a limit. It won't be anything near a 6T, but could end up scaring a few n/a 6cyl owners with a tune etc.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2011, 01:41 PM   #10
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
Could it produce a new breed of turbo modding enthusiasts? I don't know. My guess is possibly but only to a limit. It won't be anything near a 6T, but could end up scaring a few n/a 6cyl owners with a tune etc.
might become the new fj or sr20.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:43 PM   #11
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
Without a XR or Zetec versions, I doubt it will get that kind of reputation. But you never know...
Old 05-12-2011, 01:46 PM   #12
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Is it RWD or FWD now?

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 05-12-2011, 01:47 PM   #13
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
Not is a lardass falcon body..cant see it happening. People will mod anything, look at the fail thread, but the target market IMO could not give two hoots about tune-ability.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2011, 01:52 PM   #14
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Not is a lardass falcon body..cant see it happening. People will mod anything, look at the fail thread, but the target market IMO could not give two hoots about tune-ability.
Do you think modding something like that would be considered too 'try hard' or lame especially to the 6T boys? I'm not sure but I think it could breed a small onset of budget modder's out there that want both a bit of performance but also maintain pretty good economy when needed. You are probably right about the target market though. Most will just think why bother, when you get a stock 6T and it will blow the doors off it. I guess time will tell if this works to Ford's advantage or it's a fail.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 05-12-2011, 01:54 PM   #15
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
Without a XR or Zetec versions, I doubt it will get that kind of reputation. But you never know...
i reckon it would slot into the engine bay of an eski quite well... or cortina...

i wonder how it will compare with ecoLPi? obviously it will be slightly down in the power stakes, but being turbo charged, more power is generally fairly easily achieved. economy should be a close run thing with the loss of about 60kg.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:56 PM   #16
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Now Ford need to get an exemption for P platers for this vehicle as it is not a "performance car".

That may help increase sales into both the private and fleet sectors.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2011, 02:03 PM   #17
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
Is it RWD or FWD now?
Take a wild guess...

I've been following the progress of the EcoBoost Falcon since 2008, and for a while, I was worried that it wouldn't fly. It will. This is not a Starfire Commodore. This is a throughly modern power plant, and will actually offer real world fuel savings that the 3.0 Commodore can't. Fortunately, they will actually be advertising this, unlike the treatment that the EcoLPI Falcon is getting.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2011, 02:11 PM   #18
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Thanks for the link / review Falc'man!

Positive review with the drive test being well balanced.

Quote:
"But what is impressive is the engine’s mid-range punch which gives the sort of relaxed progress that has been a major characteristic of all Falcons over the years."
The hand held 7.6 sec acceleration time at the very least matches the SIDI 3.0 VE Commodore.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2011, 02:14 PM   #19
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyc
Thanks for the link / review Falc'man!

Positive review with the drive test being well balanced.

The hand held 7.6 sec acceleration time at the very least matches the SIDI 3.0 VE Commodore.
It convincingly beats the 3.0litre Commodore.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:20 PM   #20
madmelon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
It convincingly beats the 3.0litre Commodore.
Yeh I thought I'd read somewhere that the 3.0 Commodore did it in mid 8s area.

According to carpoint and caradvice, the GPS timings they got were ~7.17 for 6cyl and 7.3 for T4. Pretty good! Was 7.9 with 4 people on board.
madmelon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2011, 02:21 PM   #21
saber
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wonder who'll be the first to whack it on LPG?
saber is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2011, 02:28 PM   #22
madmelon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by saber
I wonder who'll be the first to whack it on LPG?
Don't think that'll be happening with the direct injection- because the injectors are in the combustion chamber, they need the cooling effect of the fuel to stay functional. From what I've read, it's been attempted with the SIDI Commodores without success.

Only ways to do it that I can see are using the petrol high pressure pump, rail and injectors for LPG (not sure how long that would last with lower lubricity of LPG) or by using port injection with the petrol injectors firing every so often, which would obviously partially negate the benefits of LPG.

-edit-
Just read that ALPGW are working on a kit for the SIDI using its own injectors and that Apollo do a kit using standalone injectors with partial use of the petrol injectors. So I guess it's possible but will be slightly more compromised than the usual conversion.

Last edited by madmelon; 05-12-2011 at 02:34 PM.
madmelon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2011, 02:28 PM   #23
XtRmn8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

With regards to modifying, I have no doubt that tuners who supply parts for the 6T will release something for these engines as well.

But if you want big power than fuel economy is not the number one priority and you may as well start with a proven 6T.

What I am hoping for is that the EcoBoost will have an extra urban consumption figure in the 6L/100km range, which will make it attractive for people who don't long hwy commutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyc
I could be wrong, but I recal reading review that quoted something like 9 seconds 0-100km/h times for the 3.0 SIDI.
XtRmn8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2011, 02:59 PM   #24
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

If the acceleration and fuel consumption figures are to be believed, it makes an absolute mockery of the 3.0L SIDI offering and should have Toyota worried about their copious government fleet contracts.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2011, 03:02 PM   #25
XWGT