Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Laser and Telstar

Old 08-12-2005, 12:28 AM   #1
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Premium Petrol

Hi all,

Just a quick question about premium petrol. My car doesn't run as good as it used to and I have heard that premium can help clean out the engine and I want to see what the hype about premium is. My question is what sort of premium would be best.

Is there any ethanol in premium because someone posted a thread about it being bad for Telstars so I don't want to stuff my car. Not paying out on ethanol or anything but apparently my car isn't able to take 'E10' or whatever it is.

Sorry if I'm mixed up in my terminology lol but I never have really taken notice as to what fuel I put in other than I never fill up just after the tanker has refilled the pumps.

I usually get ULP from Caltex and was contemplating filling up with Vortex next time.

I don't really care about brand or anything just very cautious as to what would be best.

MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2005, 01:45 AM   #2
NC 5ltr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
Hi all,

Just a quick question about premium petrol. My car doesn't run as good as it used to and I have heard that premium can help clean out the engine and I want to see what the hype about premium is. My question is what sort of premium would be best.

Is there any ethanol in premium because someone posted a thread about it being bad for Telstars so I don't want to stuff my car. Not paying out on ethanol or anything but apparently my car isn't able to take 'E10' or whatever it is.

Sorry if I'm mixed up in my terminology lol but I never have really taken notice as to what fuel I put in other than I never fill up just after the tanker has refilled the pumps.

I usually get ULP from Caltex and was contemplating filling up with Vortex next time.

I don't really care about brand or anything just very cautious as to what would be best.
apparently the high cost premo fuels clean out carbon deposits around the engine and on hot days saves the car from pinging its head off.

ethanol is not safe to use in cars i think built before 1983,someone correct me if im wrong,as it is corrosive to the fuel system.

there is 5% ethanol in the new extreme offthemax.

i personally use BP ultimate

QUOTE What makes you think I'm going to park behind a VE? I don't even attend the Sydney Gay Mardi Gras! QUOTE
NC 5ltr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2005, 01:59 AM   #3
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC 5ltr
ethanol is not safe to use in cars i think built before 1983,someone correct me if im wrong,as it is corrosive to the fuel system.

It's actually meant to cars pre 86. But most of the small fords have problems with the fuel.

I know that BP ultimate has a small amount of ethenol in it. I'm not sure how bad it will be for your car.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2005, 10:22 AM   #4
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah I can't seem to find any information on ethanol content other than Optimax extreme. Im not sure if 5% would do damage but I don't want to blindly try using it.

Other than the car being a bit sluggish and the tappet/lifter noise on occasion, it's in really good mechanical condition so don't want to risk it. But if something did go wrong it would be a great excuse for a FE3 JDM engine transplant :evil_laug
Old 08-12-2005, 07:48 PM   #5
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Why do you need to run 98+ ron, I run BP premuim 95ron in my Laser and it run's very smooth and better economy, try this and it's cheaper than the higher ron fuel's but still a premium fuel.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2005, 09:29 PM   #6
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8
Why do you need to run 98+ ron, I run BP premuim 95ron in my Laser and it run's very smooth and better economy, try this and it's cheaper than the higher ron fuel's but still a premium fuel.
Yeah I don't really care how much RON it is just as long as it is safe for my car.
Old 08-12-2005, 09:52 PM   #7
VippiN
What a performer!

You'll find a lot of performance enthusiasts swear by Caltex Vortex.
VippiN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2005, 10:08 PM   #8
Steffo
LPG > You

Premium doesn't clean out anything. If you engine can take advantage of it (for example, a modern BF engine), by all means use it. A 2.2 Telstar most likely can't, so don't worry about it.

The cleaning stuff is just oil company hype to get you to buy the more expensive petrol.... and it really works well too....
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2005, 10:17 PM   #9
NC 5ltr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
I know that BP ultimate has a small amount of ethenol in it. I'm not sure how bad it will be for your car.
For petrol to have ethanol in it the company needs to advertise it,and i havent seen anything saying ultimate has ethanole.

NC

QUOTE What makes you think I'm going to park behind a VE? I don't even attend the Sydney Gay Mardi Gras! QUOTE
NC 5ltr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2005, 11:19 PM   #10
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
Premium doesn't clean out anything. If you engine can take advantage of it (for example, a modern BF engine), by all means use it. A 2.2 Telstar most likely can't, so don't worry about it.

The cleaning stuff is just oil company hype to get you to buy the more expensive petrol.... and it really works well too....
Im quite aware that the Aus delivered TX5 engine aint a performance engine and my intended use isn't to get a whopping load difference in performance, its just that I have heard it cleans parts like injectors and valves etc. Being as old as it is this could only be a good thing.

But I figure there has to be some truth to the "cleaning part" of the marketing otherwise thats decieving the public. Maybe exagerrated but there has to a be some truth to it. Well there's that logic or I have been fooled. I'm not looking to run it every tank just every once in a while but as I said I don't want to cause any damage which is why I'm researching first.
Old 09-12-2005, 12:30 AM   #11
Steffo
LPG > You

98 RON cleaning your engine is untrue... made up mumbo jumbo so that you pay 130cpl for in stead of 105 for ULP (that's how much it is around here now).

Unless specified by manufacturer, or you've got modifications that warrant it, don't worry about wasting money on PULP. Both our vans ran on regular... 404,000km in the first one, 510,000km in the second one... both 2.0 4cyl Econovan Maxi's.

No fuel cleans the engine, not regular, pulp, LPG, diesel or what have you.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2005, 10:17 PM   #12
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

And where is your proof Stefo?????.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2006, 04:16 PM   #13
catloverpang
92 AX Telstar TX5 V6

Default My opinion

I used to run Shell Optimax (98 RON), which is very well in my view.

I would not recommend Caltex though, Caltex is not good!!!

To what I know, Shell Optmax Extreme is not suitable for FORD Telstars, so I would recommend not to try it .....

Regarding to MITCHAY's problem, premium (95 RON) fuel's cleansing agent is different to those used in most 98 RON (such as Shell Optimax, Mobile Sydnergy, BP Ultimate, etc), the 98 RON fuel would clean your engine part more effectively, given that you use the fuell continuously for about ... say one month or longer, otherwise, you won't observe signficant difference.

As in my case, I've been runnung Shell Optimax 98 for about one year now, and I would say the engine is more quiet than before when I was using Shell Unleaded.

If you really want a signficant improvement, I would recommend you doing a EFI injection clean, it certainly help and improve economy. In my experience, it also help reduce friction as well, so the car will have a newer feeling. The price for a EFI clean service for Telstar is around $130 something

Hey MITCHAY, can you describe in more detail about your car's problem?
catloverpang is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post