Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 04-11-2019, 03:16 PM   #391
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Default Re: I want to quit smoking but i fail everytime

Saturday was three months since my last cigarette.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 04-11-2019, 10:41 PM   #392
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Went to the Philippines in July, bought 5 cartons of Marlboro back. Paid around $650 in excise, plus the cost of the cigarettes there of around $15 each for a ream of 200 cigarettes. Even after the excise the cigarettes cost less than half of what they cost here, they're better tasting and don't have the fire retarding chemicals in them.

So much for giving up for the moment.....
Old 04-11-2019, 10:54 PM   #393
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulus View Post
Went to the Philippines in July, bought 5 cartons of Marlboro back. Paid around $650 in excise, plus the cost of the cigarettes there of around $15 each for a ream of 200 cigarettes. Even after the excise the cigarettes cost less than half of what they cost here, they're better tasting and don't have the fire retarding chemicals in them.

So much for giving up for the moment.....
My old neighbor was a smoker and while I was in the South Pacific Islands I got him a carton of Winnie Reds for looking after my cat - was only like $25 for 200 smokes.

They tightened up the restrictions of how much you could bring back so we used poor ol Nonna as the mule and she got past port security no dramas
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2019, 05:57 PM   #394
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Four months smoke free.

My cars

Current ride

Previous rides
Old 04-12-2019, 06:34 PM   #395
real time

I use to smoke about 40 cigs a day
But ever since I lost my left lung
I've cut my smoking in half
real time is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 24-12-2019, 11:28 AM   #396
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

I week until 2020. Time for the smokers to reconsider their habit. It is not easy. I've been on and off for years. But it is better to try and fail than to not try at all.

My cars

Current ride

Previous rides
This user likes this post:
Old 24-12-2019, 03:29 PM   #397
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

18 months since I had my last cigarette, don't miss it at all, and saved a fortune.

I still have a few puffs on my legal Nicotine Vape each day, which is a 100 times safer and that keeps me from ever wanting to go back on the smokes.

I smoked for 43 years and a pack a day, so I know how hard it is for those that are trying to give up.

It's not easy breaking a long term habit with the most additive substance there is.
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 24-12-2019, 09:27 PM   #398
falcon_bandit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO FURTHER View Post

I still have a few puffs on my legal Nicotine Vape each day, which is a 100 times safer and that keeps me from ever wanting to go back on the smokes.
Whilst it's great you've kicked the durries, you still havnt broken the "habit" which to me is more powerful than the actual nicotine withdrawal. Time to ween yourself off the vape, or your still leaving the door open to smoking imo
falcon_bandit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-12-2019, 01:08 AM   #399
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon_bandit View Post
Whilst it's great you've kicked the durries, you still havnt broken the "habit" which to me is more powerful than the actual nicotine withdrawal. Time to ween yourself off the vape, or your still leaving the door open to smoking imo
This is true.
However, strangely, while I am still getting some Nicotine from Vaping (which is considerably less than the Nicotine you get from actual cigarettes), I have no withdrawal symptoms at any time anymore, if I stop vaping. This is a good thing.

The actual habit of having a device which produces a smoke like vapour, of course does not help break the cycle, but after 43 years, and many previous failed attempts at giving up smoking, vaping has been the one that worked for me.

In time, I will give vaping up as well, when I am ready.
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2020, 08:14 AM   #400
rich26
Starter Motor

hi guys, not sure if this has been mentioned before, actually looking to solve another problem but can't help but contribute to this thread right now.

Whatever your smoking situation, i.e. tried many times, failed, only smoke a little, whatever, this is a genuine sure-fire method:

Get yourself a copy of the book 'The easyway to stop smoking' by Alan Carr.

You can get it as an audio book too. Then all you have to do is:

1. Continue smoking as much as you like
2. READ THE BOOK, however slowly, cover to cover, meanwhile still smoking - there are NO scare tactics or negative things to deal with, and its a very easy read.
3. When you get to the last page, you will simply want to smoke your last cigarette and never worry about smoking again, no withdrawals, no constant wanting to smoke even though you can't - you will be the same non-smoker you were before you started. Remember those days?? you weren't desperate for a cigarette...
4. IF it doesn't work at that point (which it will) you simply go to the start of the book and start reading it again.

IT IS THAT SIMPLE GUYS

I gave up and started again a few times, then I gave up so easily with the book that after a couple of years I started again thinking i could stop anytime and took it up again -stupid i know.. then used the book again and haven't smoked now for about 10 years. The best part is I don't even feel like smoking or miss it in any way.

How does it work you may ask??? Layman's explanation: As you read it, it re-programs your brain to the state you were in before you smoked. Before you smoked, you just didn't need cigarettes, you only tried it and got hooked, needing them from that moment on like food or water..

Anyway guys, please don't stuff around, order your book this minute (it's about $20) then start reading it - you will have instant relief and won't have to worry about smoking EVER again. It is THAT easy. I've bought copies for mates and family and they have stopped easily.

Peace and blessings to all. Now back to my Smartshield worries.. :-0

Rich

PS. to OP - you will never fail again
rich26 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2020, 05:05 PM   #401
MercuryT
Banned

Never had a smoke before but I'm pretty good with alcohol : (

My mum smokes the Virginia brand (not sure what it is) but it knocks her around and won't quit.
MercuryT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2020, 05:41 PM   #402
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Today is 8 months since my last cigarette. Dad is also still off the darts as well.

My cars

Current ride

Previous rides
6 users like this post:
Old 02-04-2020, 06:37 PM   #403
MercuryT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
Today is 8 months since my last cigarette. Dad is also still off the darts as well.
Brilliant.
Old 02-04-2020, 07:25 PM   #404
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercuryT View Post
Brilliant.
Thanks. But looks like you'll not be seen again.

My cars

Current ride

Previous rides
Old 03-04-2020, 11:17 PM   #405
MercuryT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
Thanks. But looks like you'll not be seen again.
It appears you are incorrect.

Stay off the smokes.

Good luck with it.
Old 04-04-2020, 09:00 PM   #406
MercuryT
Banned

I've never done smokes or any other drugs other than alcohol.

It's bloody hard giving up.

Like scarily hard as my body shuts down.

Good luck all : )
Old 12-11-2020, 01:09 AM   #407
Campbchen
Starter Motor

I had been smoking for ten years. Switched to a genuine weed I mean CBD oil. It works really good.
Campbchen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2020, 12:23 PM   #408
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A 55yo mate has stoped smoking after 38 years and he has smoked dope for 36years now he was on the bong ever hour on the hour when I seen him. but he said giving up the dope was easy but he said that giving up the smokes was just hell.

My 80yo mum still smokes and boy is it a bad drug the most important thing in her life is smokes, she is a total pain ! because of it, not to mention the money it cost her $50 a week on the pension at least, I would get her some chop chop if I could. but the Government is ranting that chop chop is so criminal, what BS ! the Government is criminal in taxing so much on smokes in fact. $80 for 50 smokes ! that's $1.60 a fag, you can get a fag for 15cents in Asia and in USA a fag for around 30cents.

I am ****ed off that my mum is being ripped off like that by the government, I hate smoking and have never been that stupid to take it up I hated it when I lived with mum and dad and then had to deal with dad lung cancer, well what a wonderful way to die FFS ! years of not being able to breath and then go out like that.
mick taylor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2020, 12:32 PM   #409
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

My dearest smokes, has forever. She tried hypnotherapy in Europe to quit recently, before the compulsory quarantine on returning to Australia.

It lasted about six weeks overall, she said “$600 Коту под хвост” (down the drain). What annoys her is that she’s so strong-willed in other domains, yet this one relentlessly beats her.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2020, 12:42 PM   #410
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick taylor View Post
A 55yo mate has stoped smoking after 38 years and he has smoked dope for 36years now he was on the bong ever hour on the hour when I seen him. but he said giving up the dope was easy but he said that giving up the smokes was just hell.

My 80yo mum still smokes and boy is it a bad drug the most important thing in her life is smokes, she is a total pain ! because of it, not to mention the money it cost her $50 a week on the pension at least, I would get her some chop chop if I could. but the Government is ranting that chop chop is so criminal, what BS ! the Government is criminal in taxing so much on smokes in fact. $80 for 50 smokes ! that's $1.60 a fag, you can get a fag for 15cents in Asia and in USA a fag for around 30cents.

I am ****ed off that my mum is being ripped off like that by the government, I hate smoking and have never been that stupid to take it up I hated it when I lived with mum and dad and then had to deal with dad lung cancer, well what a wonderful way to die FFS ! years of not being able to breath and then go out like that.
Mate I hear you, my old Dad died of cancer from smoking.
But the reason ciggys cost/tax so much is deter people, especially young ones from taking it up. If the price is too high they hopefully won't buy them.
Then all the other illicit stuff is so cheap anyway.
But it's the knock on health issues related to smoking and the cost to the health budget, using tax dollars to help people.
My son is a nurse in a hospital where he see's the same patients in for smoking illnesses and then go down stairs for a quick one.
It's just a curse and I feel sorry for those addicted to to them.
2 users like this post:
Old 12-11-2020, 01:53 PM   #411
falcon_bandit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I hate smoking. I despise it. But I've been smoking for a couple decades.

In the past I was able to give it up for periods of time ranging from a couple months to a couple years, was fairly easy. But in the last month I've tried giving it a good go, and only lasted 2 days max. I've even tried cutting back and that last a day. I smoke 1/2 a 25g pouch per day. My mindset has changed and gone downhill I reckon since the previous attempts and its left me feeling almost suicidal because I've never let anything beat me, but I feel defeated for once.

The last few years I've gotten older, and happiness has gone, and basically I've tied in smoking with everything I do, to 'enhance' my life & bring some sort of joy....smoke with coffee, smoke while waiting for food to cook, smoke, after a good meal, smoke before, during & after any & every Hobbie or interest etc... Sounds stupid but it works for me. Giving up smoking currently feels like giving up life. Addiction is as bad as it gets
falcon_bandit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2020, 09:14 PM   #412
Campbchen
Starter Motor

I had been smoking for ten years. Switched to a genuine weed I mean CBD oil. It works really well. I'm not addicted to smoke regular cigarettes, just vaping CBD oil to get rid of headaches. I'm working 10 hours per day sometimes more on a new project. I'm a programmer, and spending the whole day in front of a computer is not the best idea. My wife is begging me to take breaks, but I'm too busy and the deadlines do not give me this possibility. So, in order to keep my mind awake that oil is a solution.
Campbchen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2020, 10:34 PM   #413
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee View Post
Mate I hear you, my old Dad died of cancer from smoking.
But the reason ciggys cost/tax so much is deter people, especially young ones from taking it up. If the price is too high they hopefully won't buy them.
Then all the other illicit stuff is so cheap anyway.
But it's the knock on health issues related to smoking and the cost to the health budget, using tax dollars to help people.
My son is a nurse in a hospital where he see's the same patients in for smoking illnesses and then go down stairs for a quick one.
It's just a curse and I feel sorry for those addicted to to them.
I'm with Mick with his comments with the high tax on cigarettes by the government as they are deliberately ripping you off knowing most smokers do not give up smoking just the same way they hit you hard on alcohol.
I thought advertising bans, cigarettes plain packaging with warnings and packets locked away out of public view was the legitimate deterrence.

Anyhow it has been 25 years since I went cold turkey and gave away smoking after having the habit for 24 years, I was a heavy smoker at the end and the thought of dying from lung disease such as emphysema would be dreadful as I have seen a few close friends die from this gasping for their last breath, bloody horrible way to die!
These days I exercise regularly and feel fit for my age.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 14-11-2020, 10:46 PM   #414
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:

In the past I was able to give it up for periods of time ranging from a couple months to a couple years, was fairly easy. But in the last month I've tried giving it a good go, and only lasted 2 days max. I've even tried cutting back and that last a day. I smoke 1/2 a 25g pouch per day. My mindset has changed and gone downhill I reckon since the previous attempts and its left me feeling almost suicidal because I've never let anything beat me, but I feel defeated for once.

The last few years I've gotten older, and happiness has gone, and basically I've tied in smoking with everything I do, to 'enhance' my life & bring some sort of joy....smoke with coffee, smoke while waiting for food to cook, smoke, after a good meal, smoke before, during & after any & every Hobbie or interest etc... Sounds stupid but it works for me. Giving up smoking currently feels like giving up life. Addiction is as bad as it gets
I think you genuinely want to give up smoking for good to achieve it and this is where most people fail, this I know as I tried it quite a few times for short periods then went back to it like what you did for enjoyment then one day out of the blue I thought I don't really need to to do this **** any more and just went cold turkey.
I found the first 3 years of not smoking were very tempting to give a go again before I got the urge out of my system.
These days I don't miss it at all.
2 users like this post:
Old 15-11-2020, 11:32 AM   #415
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officemanager View Post
I'm with Mick with his comments with the high tax on cigarettes by the government as they are deliberately ripping you off knowing most smokers do not give up smoking just the same way they hit you hard on alcohol.
I thought advertising bans, cigarettes plain packaging with warnings and packets locked away out of public view was the legitimate deterrence.

Anyhow it has been 25 years since I went cold turkey and gave away smoking after having the habit for 24 years, I was a heavy smoker at the end and the thought of dying from lung disease such as emphysema would be dreadful as I have seen a few close friends die from this gasping for their last breath, bloody horrible way to die!
These days I exercise regularly and feel fit for my age.
I believe that we should have a ADR law type of thing on smokes, reducing the worst of the harmful and getting hooked cravings with such rubbish as the years go by. that way by X amount of years people will not have to deal with such problems.
A company should not make a toxic harmful product like such nowadays as it is, because it's unethical and so cruel.

The Taxing path does work in some way, but I still see young people taking it up, not to mention when I see them smoking

It's not the smoking that bothers me so much but the criminal thing about it is getting people hooked on the rubbish.

Some types of smokes are a pain to put up with others smoking such but other smokes are not that bad. PJ were ok and some other stuff they rolled up smelt ok.so you can have smokes that do not bother non smoking people at all and I am sure you can make smokes that are healthier than we have easy as.

We are being played by clowns in government for sure.
mick taylor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2020, 01:07 PM   #416
mad2
Regular...with metamusal
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick taylor View Post

We are being played by clowns in government for sure.

on a lot of things yes.

two things helped me give up smoking. 1- i wanted to give up ... badly. 2- choice of smoking or daily transport via pushy [i rode pushy daily sort of till i was in my early 50's] ...

then after i gave up i had the landlords 'girlfriend' blow cigarette smoke in my face!. at the time i was having breakfast before going to work. i could NOT finish eating & felt crook for easy 8 hours plus had the 'sweats' ? - i could never handle the smell of the smokes again .... & for a few years even if the person was smoking 20 feet away . the urge for a smoke eventually goes away ... for me it was 'about' 15 something years.

the smell of the smokes still affects me after all the years, but at least the headaches & nausea diminished.
mad2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2020, 01:24 PM   #417
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad2 View Post
on a lot of things yes.

two things helped me give up smoking. 1- i wanted to give up ... badly. 2- choice of smoking or daily transport via pushy [i rode pushy daily sort of till i was in my early 50's] ...

then after i gave up i had the landlords 'girlfriend' blow cigarette smoke in my face!. at the time i was having breakfast before going to work. i could NOT finish eating & felt crook for easy 8 hours plus had the 'sweats' ? - i could never handle the smell of the smokes again .... & for a few years even if the person was smoking 20 feet away . the urge for a smoke eventually goes away ... for me it was 'about' 15 something years.

the smell of the smokes still affects me after all the years, but at least the headaches & nausea diminished.
Having the odd smokers around me these days does not usually worry me as I try to keep a bit of distance from them but what I have noticed that I can smell smokers from a reasonably good distance something I could never do or be aware of when smoking.
I can now understand why a person who never smoked in their life why they complain badly about smoker being in their vicinity.

PS: I gave up smoking 12 months before my wife called quits on it and I use to hate coming home to the house as it smelled like an ash tray.
3 months after she quit my house got the once over in cleaning and washing everything to rid the smell, any visiting smokers are banished to the end of the back yard.
You certainly know when you visit a smokers dwelling if they smoke inside....phewww.

Last edited by Itsme; 15-11-2020 at 01:30 PM.
Old 19-11-2020, 05:14 AM   #418
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

What many people don't realise, is that Nicotine is actually quite a powerful anti-depressant. So for many people, it literally does make them feel better, help with anxiety, etc.

I'm no expert, but I suspect that for many people the best approach is firstly to transfer their Nicotine dependency to alternative forms, such as gum or mints. Maintain that usage for as long as you need, until the thought of lighting a cigarette becomes completely foreign.
Also need to somehow replace the ritual of the ciggie, especially if you roll your own.

And seriously consider seeking medical help. There are antidepressants approved for treatment of smoking addiction.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2020, 01:34 PM   #419
wackyv8
wackyv8

one word - CHAMPIX .
go and talk to your doctor about it . it works.
wackyv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2020, 04:55 PM   #420
mad2
Regular...with metamusal
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wackyv8 View Post
one word - CHAMPIX .
go and talk to your doctor about it . it works.

it works but can have side affects [depending on the person].
mad2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post