Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 11-04-2022, 07:41 PM   #1
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Most degrading jobs

as per title

political new reporter imagine running around like a puppet hoping for either a massive tip off or a blunder, then having to report it, as if most of us care.
Old 11-04-2022, 09:03 PM   #2
five 7
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Most degrading jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
as per title

political new reporter imagine running around like a puppet hoping for either a massive tip off or a blunder, then having to report it, as if most of us care.
Delving into parasites lives for a living, ummm no thanks..
five 7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 11-04-2022, 10:20 PM   #3
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Surely it's hospitality? People treat hospitality staff appallingly. Treat someone that way outside the work environment, and you'd soon be put on your behind.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2022, 10:36 PM   #4
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
Surely it's hospitality? People treat hospitality staff appallingly. Treat someone that way outside the work environment, and you'd soon be put on your behind.
There is a general sense of entitlement with regards to how some act towards hospitality and retail staff. Just because you are a customer, that doesn't give you permission to be rude, demanding, nasty or expect to be treated like royalty just because you are spending money.

I often here the "customer service" is appalling these days remark. Well, it works both ways. Treat a customer with contempt, well that's the despicable. Treating a customer service member the same way, well that somehow ok because "the customer is always right" mentality that has infected the community.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 12-04-2022, 07:33 AM   #5
Trevor 57
is now there

Supermarket staff also cope a flogging unnecessarily

If you want to talk about a 'degrading job'. I used to assist with picking up 'night pans' as a school holiday job when I was a kid

Last edited by Trevor 57; 12-04-2022 at 07:49 AM.
Trevor 57 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2022, 07:39 AM   #6
whitelion65
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

****-wiper for Henry the 8th……..look it up…..and with a diet very high in meat ��
Moondust silver
2016 Focus Trend, 1.5ecoboost, 6sp manual.
Frozen white

Previous
2004 Berlina Wagon (LS1) Vespers Blue
1995 Camry 2.2, white
1971 Ford Fairmont wagon 302w, C4 Polar white
1971 TC Cortina, 2L 4sp, Ermine white
whitelion65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2022, 08:57 AM   #7
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelion65 View Post
****-wiper for Henry the 8th……..look it up…..and with a diet very high in meat ��
"Groom of the stool" is the job title. Ended up being a very highly sought after job

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groom_of_the_Stool
Old 12-04-2022, 10:53 AM   #8
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Too lazy to wipe his own fat rse.
Old 12-04-2022, 11:36 AM   #9
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee View Post
Too lazy to wipe his own fat rse.
to quote the famous Mel Brooks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8z8SpgmF0sA
Old 12-04-2022, 11:49 AM   #10
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Pass.
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2022, 01:40 PM   #11
five 7
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nursing, after spending a week in the holding pen ward last year (Not ergent surgery) watching those young nurses have to deal with 85 year old men with broken hips and dementia crap themselves repeatedly through the night plus abuse them you couldn't pay me enough to deal with that, but they do with a smile mostly.

Last edited by five 7; 12-04-2022 at 01:47 PM.
Old 12-04-2022, 01:58 PM   #12
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I think a “fluffer” would be right up there in the degrading stakes.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 12-04-2022, 02:01 PM   #13
.:4:.
Kicking back

A mate of mine had the joyful job of getting down into the sewage tank to connect up one of the pumps in a high rise building. The other pump was running, but the whole time toilets were being flushed upstairs. So yeah, he got covered in crap.
I thought working in a grease trap room was horid, my mate assures me a grease trap is 1000 times more pleasant then a turd tank.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-04-2022, 08:38 PM   #14
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

No honest job is degrading...being a professional dole bludger is.
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2022, 08:53 PM   #15
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

I spent a day working at a chicken abattoir when I was younger.

That was degrading to me and to the chickens.

Did give me a boot up the **** though.
Old 12-04-2022, 11:08 PM   #16
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
I think a “fluffer” would be right up there in the degrading stakes.
In pro surfing, when the champ wins the event, he gets hoisted on the shoulders of his entourage - but behind him, a guy holds his surfboard tombstone style, to show the sponsors logos. This guy is called the 'fluffer'.

You must be meaning a different kind of fluffer?
Old 12-04-2022, 11:10 PM   #17
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I dunno if degrading is the right term, as the role is important in the functioning of things and is honest and well-paid work, but this mini doco always has me giggling:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISuQngDolAc
Old 13-04-2022, 06:33 AM   #18
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
I dunno if degrading is the right term, as the role is important in the functioning of things and is honest and well-paid work, but this mini doco always has me giggling:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISuQngDolAc
My son works at a 'waste water treatment plant' for a number of small towns and a large city. I was talking to him about this and he said they have had one out there.

As my son has been there for a while he gets to mentor the new employees. I was talking to one recently and he said the best advice my son gave him was when they were in a tinnie (with a small outboard) on the first pond, my son turned to him and said "my best advice while doing this is to keep your mouth shut"

During COVID when toilet paper was scarce they had to regularly clean the pumps out due to people using non-soluble things other than toilet paper, he showed us a video - wow, what a 'sh!t' job . When the waste arrives there straight from town, all the 'solids' are filtered out, he said it is amazing what comes through, false teeth, money, kids toys, of course condoms and tampons, but things like butt plugs - all sorts of stuff
Old 13-04-2022, 11:18 AM   #19
five 7
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoreSlamR View Post
I spent a day working at a chicken abattoir when I was younger.

That was degrading to me and to the chickens.

Did give me a boot up the **** though.
Spent two years as a maintenance line fitter at Table Talk Chicken Now Tegal was one of the better jobs, the smell you get used to but the offal hopper on a hot day could make your eyes water, when your up there with a stick clearing a jam. Always got the new guy too clear clots out of the blood drain table outlet pipe it gave you a clue to wether they would last. Fun fact you can dip your arm in blood and it comes out mostly dry.
Old 13-04-2022, 11:28 AM   #20
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I can remember Table Talk chickens, here - what a “blast from the past”.

My mother used to buy them occasionally, I think a No.12? By the time she was done with it, there was only the bones left - and they after being boiled up for soup.
Old 13-04-2022, 01:52 PM   #21
five 7
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
I can remember Table Talk chickens, here - what a “blast from the past”.

My mother used to buy them occasionally, I think a No.12? By the time she was done with it, there was only the bones left - and they after being boiled up for soup.
Started as Fairday poultry then Table talk all local to me, went from small family owned to slowly chewed up by big corp, I left before Tegal swallowed it, I could see the writing on the wall. Bright side is it pushed me into my own business downside is I needed to do years earlier, would have seen me in the Mexican Rivera supping Tequila for half the year in winter.
Old 17-04-2022, 09:17 PM   #22
mondeomatureguy

Hi Guy's
First of all i must point out "i hate rude people". Good manner's don't cost anything and a please and thank you goes a long way.
Way back in 2001 when my divorce was going thru and it all got too much for my little mind, i left my job after 7 years and took a break.

I got a part time job driving a truck for a bloke who wasn't very nice and was very rude.
It was Easter 2001 and i was told to drive a truck to Canberra to deliver Easter Eggs and boxs of Choclate to stores in Canberra.
The truck i was going to drive was a accident waiting to happen.

When i checked the oil it needed 1 and half litres and need lots of water.
The tyres werent the best and when i told the owner of this he said " i dont give a stuff what you think your job is too drive the truck and shut up".

I left western Sydney in the morning and got as far as Goulburn which is funny because i live in Goulburn now.
Anyhow i phoned the Boss and told him " The truck had broken down in Goulburn and this was around 11.30am in the morning".

I was told to wait and a mechanic would be there soon. I waited till 2.30pm and phoned him again and he said " I havent phoned the mechanic so just wait.
I told him "if the mechanic doesnt turn up at 3.30pm i will leave the keys under the sun visor and go home.
The mechanic never did turn up and i phoned him and said " i warned you i would go home and he said " i am not paying you for today so you can f*** Off.

I left the keys under the sun visor and caught the train back to Sydney.
when i was on the train i was thinking " wouldnt it be funny if all his Choclate had melted because the fridge was turned off because the truck broke down.
mondeomatureguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 17-04-2022, 09:47 PM   #23
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My child care centre has big bins which are emptied by a truck 2 times a week. One time, there was a problem with the rubbish company and they didn’t pick up for a week and a half. Get a call from the owner, bring your trailer, the rubbish bags are overflowing in the bin compound, and parents are complaining about the smell.
Now bags of nappies sitting in the summer heat are amazing. I masked and gloved up and went in. While hoisting the third bag over the side of the trailer, it caught on the cage and ripped. What fell out was thousands of wriggling white maggots.
I took a moment, loaded it all up and went directly to the tip. I went straight home, stripped off outside and jumped straight into a shower. Happy days.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 17-04-2022, 10:07 PM   #24
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Yes, a hot bin full of loaded nappies is up there, along with a sewer so blocked it’s fermenting and waiting to blow back at you, once you release part of the blockage.
Old 18-04-2022, 06:37 AM   #25
tbro4123

Dunno about the most degrading, lets just say "not a job most would want".

I worked for Barry Bros for a number of years, now that entailed repairing and servicing all the equipment involved in the s*&t sucking industry.

Part of my job entailed operating BIG mobile pumps to pump out the treatment ponds for repairs and spent many a luxurious and enjoyable day at places like Logan treatment plant where you could tell when a raid had happened by the amount of "baggies" that came floating through the system and caught up in the filters. Lots of people couldn't understand how I could do the job working on the equipment but knowing at the end of a 80hr week at $78 an hour plus penalty rates my family was wanting for zero makes this type of work acceptable.

Stay safe
Terry aka Tbro
tbro4123 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 18-04-2022, 09:02 AM   #26
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Back in the 70s I worked at a resort off the Qld coast. My first job for the first day was to clean the staff toilets. From there I rose to be the Bar Manager, pretty quickly I might add.
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2022, 09:12 AM   #27
HIPO
Al

Unloading "green" sheep skins by hand..... nice smell & friendly maggots.....
HIPO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2022, 09:32 AM   #28
five 7
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mine at times in fact a lot of the time. And yep its what you think it is, high end lawyers to boot. Mods feel free to delete pic/post if to out there. Some people are Grubbs.
Old 18-04-2022, 12:28 PM   #29
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What a terrible day to have eyes.
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2022, 03:37 PM   #30
Rallye Sport
RS The Faster Fords

For me it was working in public openspace/ parkland.
On a daily basis we'd find all manner of bodily fluids and solids, drug paraphernalia, items of self gratification and more. All placed, smeared or deposited in ways to disgust the poor sap on the receiving end.
Oh and never, ever, eat from a public bbq...
FG XR50 Daily.
Rallye Sport is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post: