Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 18-06-2011, 08:07 PM   #1
RaryGirl
Starter Motor

Default Iphone ... cable and bluetooth

Picked up the wagon today ... great drive home up the highway, mind you I had to fight the husband as to who drove it first.

Anyway ... I went to plug in the Iphone and realised the iphone usb won't fit in Mondeo slot - here I thought usb were all the same? Does only the $67 Ford on fit?

So then I tried to play the music via bluetooth as I've done in other cars, but couldn't work out how to do it. Can anyone help?

Old 18-06-2011, 10:49 PM   #2
Allusion

Default Re: Iphone ... cable and bluetooth

Congrats on getting the car.

It's a standard usb port but you're better using the split cable that plugs into the usb and 3.5mm socket at the same time. You can pick them up on ebay for under $10.
Old 19-06-2011, 03:26 AM   #3
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When my iPhone connects via Bluetooth, it gives me the choice of playback via either the cable or through Ford audio. Only problem is I don't know how to set the headunit to actually play the Bluetooth feed. Anyone figured this one out? It would be nice to just jump in the car and hit play on the iPhone.
Old 19-06-2011, 09:36 AM   #4
RaryGirl
Starter Motor

Ok - Just looked at the usb port again and the standard Apple usb plug won't actually reach into the socket to make the connection. It looks the same for anything else I have USB also. Looking at the connection point it seems the usb connector has been recessed too far back to let usb devices connect to it.

So I don't know if that is normal (to make you buy the Ford piece of kits) or if it's been installed wrong or someone has pushed it back further then it should be (very doubtful).

Thanks.
Old 19-06-2011, 10:00 AM   #5
Dusty1
Giddy up!

Get one of those cables off eBay. Heapsof people use them and they work for them. Ford charges for everything they can.

Congrats on the purchase!
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2011, 10:54 AM   #6
msford

info is in post 23 of this thread http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11325434

or if the Item No has since been changed/removed, then do a search on Ebay. I bought one for $3.50 and it has worked fine but that was for my Ipod, not Iphone (I don't have one).
msford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2011, 02:10 PM   #7
RaryGirl
Starter Motor

Ok I grabbed the cheapie IPOD cable we already had in the Patrol ... what the issue I'm finding is the usb port is really recessed back in the Mondeo and the USB connections don't even come close to meeting. I've even tried a normal USB cable we've got here and they don't reach to make a connection.

I'm thinking that maybe this is a fault as such with our car? As it doesn't side like anyone else has this issue.
Old 19-06-2011, 08:07 PM   #8
ian b

I had the same issue on my new MBXR5 and the dealer "reworked" the clips on the socket to bring it forward to be in line with the hole in the glovebox.

I now leave the cable installed to avoid it being pushed back again, also leave the ipod in place as it then comes on and goes off when the car is started and stopped. Not needed to charge so assume the usb socket also provides power.

Get the Y-lead off e-bay as it allows for full ipod control via the steering wheel.

The head unit also plays direct from my wifes i-phone, set the unit to BT Audio by using CD/Aux button. Often works when her iphone is in her car parked next to mine in the garage!!!!! She paired the iphone with the head unit so I assume this has allowed the playback as well.
Old 19-06-2011, 08:20 PM   #9
RaryGirl
Starter Motor

Thanks Ian ... I'll be due for the 3,000km service in the next couple of weeks so I'll ask them to 'fix' the usb then.
Old 20-06-2011, 04:05 PM   #10
zetec
Zoom Zoom

For Bluetooth audio - just press AUX until you get BT Audiop or BT Streaming from memory. Then wait a second and start your iPod function.
Old 20-06-2011, 07:31 PM   #11
RaryGirl
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
For Bluetooth audio - just press AUX until you get BT Audiop or BT Streaming from memory. Then wait a second and start your iPod function.
Woot!! Thanks Zetec ... can listen to music now until I can get the usb fixed by Ford.
Old 16-10-2014, 09:03 PM   #12
msford

Has anyone tried (or know) if you plug in a 2 or 4 port USB hub into the Mondeo USB slot whether you can connect both a USB stick filled with mp3 music PLUS your iPhone (iPod) simultaneously and if both will work? Even if at least the iPhone charges, that's still a plus as it would mean not having to remove the USB stick just to plug in the iPhone cable.

Personally I prefer accessing my music via my USB stick as I've got the folders all set up in the same way that my CD collection was but I find it annoying to constantly remove the USB just so I can give the iPhone a charge.

Last edited by msford; 16-10-2014 at 09:14 PM.
Old 21-10-2014, 08:02 PM   #13
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

iPhone charge socket......get a USB plug for your cigarette lighter socket (in dash and/or rear face console). Most auto parts places would have them.
I have 2 of them .....
allanv6gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2014, 12:02 PM   #14
msford

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanv6gt View Post
iPhone charge socket......get a USB plug for your cigarette lighter socket (in dash and/or rear face console). Most auto parts places would have them.
I have 2 of them .....
Just to confirm that this is the best way to go as I did try my suggestion of a USB hub but it doesn't work. I don't know the exact reasons for it but I'm guessing it may have something to do with the amperage required for the USB hub and the Ford USB socket not being designed to cope with it.

My only other suggestion would be to read the fine print on whichever charger you intend to buy and make sure it is a 2.1 amp charger if you want to charge your iPad in the car. Many are as little as 0.5 amp or 1 amp.
Old 25-01-2015, 09:10 PM   #15
snailracing

Mondeo's appear to have two different Head Unit options. One is a Sony branded version and appears to be the high end version. See attached picture

Last edited by snailracing; 25-01-2015 at 09:16 PM.
snailracing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2015, 09:15 PM   #16
snailracing

And then there is the low end model. From what I've learned this model does support Bluetooth handsfree but no Bluetooth audio streaming. Bit of a shame really as most manufacturers now a days will do both if Bluetooth is installed in a vehicle.

snailracing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2015, 09:48 PM   #17
Binny

Yes that's true the LX has a more basic unit than the "premium" Sony one in the Zetec and Titanium.
The one in your bottom picture must be from an MA or MB because the one in my MC is a bit different, but still doesn't do BT audio streaming.
Old 26-01-2015, 12:01 AM   #18
morts
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binny View Post
Yes that's true the LX has a more basic unit than the "premium" Sony one in the Zetec and Titanium.
The one in your bottom picture must be from an MA or MB because the one in my MC is a bit different, but still doesn't do BT audio streaming.
Binny I have a 2014 MC Zetec & can BT stream music from a Micro SD card or play internet radio with the Tunein app on my Android phone through the cars stereo system.
morts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2015, 12:26 PM   #19
sailaway

2010 Mondeo Zetec

The main problem I am having at the moment is getting my Garmin GPS to charge in the car.

I can plug it in using the glove box USB port (Very handy position seeing the GPS is mounted very close.) Or in any of the cigarette lighter ports.

On doing so I get the same display as one gets when plugging it into the laptop that has the Garmin Express software.

This...
http://i.imgur.com/kYKQ0Sm.jpg

Eventually you get this...
http://i.imgur.com/S6bJgf1.jpg

I have tried the cable supplied with the Garmin and a few others (USB and Cigarette plug cables) all with the same result. I was beginning to think the Garmin GPS had developed a fault when a mate turned up who has the same GPS so I got him to plug my GPS into his car using his generic power cord. My GPS then worked fine.

It looks like the fault lies within the power set up of the Mondeo. It was not a problem in the Focus. ;-(

I could maybe understand if it was just the USB port and believing it may have been the way the USB pins had been set up by/for Ford but the same is shown using the cigarette lighter ports.

Scratches head????

Any assistance gratefully appreciated.
2010 Ford Mondeo Zetec TDCi Diesel

Colour: Frozen White
sailaway is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2015, 12:56 PM   #20
Binny

I've run and charged all sort of different things from the front and rear cigarette lighter sockets without any issues. Phones, GPS tablets etc.

It looks to me like your GPS isn't getting enough current. Does the manual say what its power requirements are? 5W, 10W etc. Usually the cigarette lighter USB adapters will say on them somewhere how much current each port is rated to. eg I have a 2 port adapter that has a different rating for each, 1A (5W), 2.1A (10.5W).
Old 07-05-2015, 01:17 PM   #21
sailaway

Angry Re: Iphone ... cable and bluetooth

Quote:
I've run and charged all sort of different things from the front and rear cigarette lighter sockets without any issues. Phones, GPS tablets etc.

It looks to me like your GPS isn't getting enough current. Does the manual say what its power requirements are? 5W, 10W etc. Usually the cigarette lighter USB adapters will say on them somewhere how much current each port is rated to. eg I have a 2 port adapter that has a different rating for each, 1A (5W), 2.1A (10.5W).
Hi,

Just looking at the Garmin manual and it tells you nothing in regards to amps required.

Although when the GPS was used in the Focus it worked using an adaptor and its DC 5V, 500mA socket.

Even tried this adaptor in the Mondeo and still the same old symptoms but it worked in the mates Commode???

Strange the same things happen using the Mondeo USB or cigarette Power socket.

Old 07-05-2015, 01:55 PM   #22
Binny

Yes it is strange. It shouldn't matter in a power socket because thats all it is, power. It should just see it as a power source and start charging.
Old 07-05-2015, 02:05 PM   #23
sailaway

Quote:
Yes it is strange. It shouldn't matter in a power socket because thats all it is, power. It should just see it as a power source and start charging.
Yeah! As I stated earlier I was thinking that the GPS had haemorrhaged and that was causing it to think it was being plugged into a computer and then telling me it wasn't charging but the test on the mate's car took that option out of play.

Something in the Ford set up is the cause but what? Could the AUX button on the Mondeo have something to do with it?