Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 15-09-2011, 10:21 PM   #241
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 
Default Re: FG Falcon MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
XT now looks more than a match for Omega, especially with 4.0 I-6 in petrol and LPG and Ecoboost
coming early next year, could the lowly XT be transformed into a desirable car for some buyers?
Let's hope so...
The XT looks more upmarket then the current model, and much nicer then the Omega.
Old 15-09-2011, 10:41 PM   #242
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-E
I would say this the the last update on the last Australian designed and made car by Ford. They have gone to little effort because they are selling such small numbers of cars. Why bother doing much when no one is buying them. R&D costs money and needs to be recovered on each and every car. We will not pay $'000's more for each car to get all the latest gizmos as they will be lucky to sell 12,000 per year in the coming years. RIP Falcon
Ford has added the following to the Falcon since FG in early 2008, in terms of powertrain:
- Minor changes to comply with Euro 4 emissions.
- Standard ZF across the range.
- LPi
- Ecoboost (early next year)
- Diesel (for Territory)
- Supercharged 5.0 V8 for the FPV models
(happy to be corrected on this list)

Considering the tight budget(s) they're working with - as you say, sales aren't exactly going through the roof - they can't exactly update every panel, and I think these cosmetic changes are pretty good anyway.

In light of all that I see your comment "gone to little effort" as extremely poor reasoning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJH
So they'll presumably just get the headlights and interior as running updates then?
Yes, when the time comes.
Old 15-09-2011, 10:43 PM   #243
RHR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well said
Old 15-09-2011, 10:51 PM   #244
stang65
FPRJET

It`s not hard to tell which people come here to stir trouble. I think Ford have done an excellent job, hopefully the sales will reflect this.
Old 15-09-2011, 10:55 PM   #245
No.6

looks good...but for the xr6t, how will we show off that sexy intercooler with that grill in front! dont think we can cut it off like the fg hehe.

Cant wait till ASL gets their hands on that 8" touchscreen for aftermarket installations...definitely gonna get that sweet baby on my fg
Old 15-09-2011, 11:01 PM   #246
Bobman
Regulator

http://www.caradvice.com.au/138129/f...s-and-details/

*Options: Cashmere interior environment - from page 1 here. Is this true? Cashmere is back?

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Old 15-09-2011, 11:02 PM   #247
Zaxx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang65
It`s not hard to tell which people come here to stir trouble. I think Ford have done an excellent job, hopefully the sales will reflect this.

Amen.
Old 15-09-2011, 11:09 PM   #248
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline
MMmmm... a bit of tint and a splash of chrome...

Now, can you do that with a bulge... as in, add the bulge to the bonnet.
Old 15-09-2011, 11:10 PM   #249
stang65
FPRJET

Quote:
Originally Posted by No.6
looks good...but for the xr6t, how will we show off that sexy intercooler with that grill in front! dont think we can cut it off like the fg hehe.

Cant wait till ASL gets their hands on that 8" touchscreen for aftermarket installations...definitely gonna get that sweet baby on my fg
I suppose you could always drop a sexy TURBO badge on the lower grille.
Old 15-09-2011, 11:11 PM   #250
stang65
FPRJET

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
Now, can you do that with a bulge... as in, add the bulge to the bonnet.

I`m walking away with that statement........lol
Old 15-09-2011, 11:13 PM   #251
WASP
Whipple Induced

I think they have done an excellent job. The XR's particularly look smart.
Old 15-09-2011, 11:17 PM   #252
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

ok so i've changed my mind on this.
now i've decided the FGII just looks like what the FG should have in the first place
Old 15-09-2011, 11:20 PM   #253
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline
MMmmm... a bit of tint and a splash of chrome...

The more I see this picture, the more I feel a tightening of the pants.

Although there are still no pics of the rear - I can't believe they would add all this extra detail and chrome highlights to the front end and still leave the rear barren.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Old 15-09-2011, 11:23 PM   #254
Danny
GT4.

HOLY COW!? FORD has FINALLY worked out how to take photos of the new models from a high 3/4 angle!!?

You mean no more low down pics of the falcons which make them look high and ungainly and plain hideous??

Maybe they are listening to us over here on AFF.

I really have to say, It does look really, really good. That's amazing coming from me. I'm surprised I like it, but I really do. I almost feel jealous that mine doesn't look like that!

Projectors a re a step in the right direction but nearly 10 years after Commodore brought them in, hardly revolutionary, more like expected. The LED's are a nice touch, got in before Commodore (purposely ignoring the afterthought that are the HSV LED's). I'd imagine there'd still be no windows up with keyfob, or rain sensing wipers, otherwise it would have been big news.. Touchscreen is a pretty good idea, I'd go nuts trying to keep it clean though!

Any talk of Xenons is all wishful. No way will FOA engineer Xenons onto the Falcon when Xenons (by Aussie ADR's) also require Self levelling devices and integrated Xenon headlamp washers. If Ford had done this, it would have been big news. Even then, the haters would have been all off about how they aint Bi-Xenons.

Truthfully, I don't think we will ever see an aussie made Falcon with Xenon headdies.

Also sadly, as much as I reckon the FGII looks really cohesive (the rounded front just looks so much more appealing than the narrowing wedge front end of FGI), I reckon sales won't increase. Judging by some of the comments on the forum, I'm certain Joe Public has made up their mind.
Old 15-09-2011, 11:24 PM   #255
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
The more I see this picture, the more I feel a tightening of the pants.

Although there are still no pics of the rear - I can't believe they would add all this extra detail and chrome highlights to the front end and still leave the rear barren.
i'm hoping they put G6 tail lights on the XR and different ones on the G6.

i also see from some pics that the G6E now as silver bezel headlights, and the G6ET gets the black bezel, that's the way the FG1 should have been in my opinion.
Old 15-09-2011, 11:26 PM   #256
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
The XT looks more upmarket then the current model, and much nicer then the Omega.
Yes it does. FG2 Falcon XT is a very nice looking, particularly for the base model. Totally agree with the fact it makes the base Commodore Omega VE2 look very povo.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
Old 15-09-2011, 11:28 PM   #257
imugli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have to say I like it. Especially the XRs.

As Falc'man said, Ford have made incremental improvements to drivetrain over the past couple of years BETWEEN model refreshes and this is in line with the current Ford ethos of getting the upgrades into the cars as they become available. The downside is that the refreshes seem less thorough, the upside is that if you buy a Falcon at any time you know it pretty much has the latest tech available driveline-wise.
Old 15-09-2011, 11:30 PM   #258
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

i'd like to know if the electric steering from the Fiesta/Focus/Territory is being introduced to FG2.

EDIT: this suggests yes, who knows though

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...25787D001E469D
Old 15-09-2011, 11:34 PM   #259
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

No there is no EPAS. Apparently Ford haven't ruled out adding it later as a running change (i.e. it may come with Ecoboost)

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Old 15-09-2011, 11:35 PM   #260
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
No there is no EPAS.
got a link for that?
Old 15-09-2011, 11:37 PM   #261
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

I didn't think it would be possible to use some of the new Territory's front end styling in Falcon without it being hideous but it does look pretty good.

As for people talking about Xenons, personally I hate them and am glad they haven't gone down that path.
Old 15-09-2011, 11:37 PM   #262
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Farnsworth
got a link for that?
Yessum

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...25790C001DAB23

Quote:
Surprisingly, Ford has stuck with hydraulic power steering rather than adopting the electric system introduced on the Territory. However, Ford has not ruled out a running change to make the switch to the fuel-saving electric system in future.

Old 15-09-2011, 11:40 PM   #263
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

bizarre that they would consider it in a running change, they have a habit of doing that. turbo motor internals, bodykits, v8 chain tensioners.
Old 15-09-2011, 11:42 PM   #264
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Could be anything from supply to validation taking longer than thought, who knows.

Its been a long time since I have read the falcon not having decent steering/handling anyway.
Old 15-09-2011, 11:47 PM   #265
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Could be anything from supply to validation taking longer than thought, who knows.

Its been a long time since I have read the falcon not having decent steering/handling anyway.
yes but it'd be nice to have it a little lighter at parking speeds like the AU was/is - i believe the EPAS will be like that. It is in the Fiesta/Territory anyway.

maybe we can then custom tune the steering heh
Old 15-09-2011, 11:49 PM   #266
bouka

No EPAS may have something to do with performance arm.
Old 15-09-2011, 11:57 PM   #267
Cashie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Multiple helpful contributions throughout the tech area. 

I think Ford have done an excellent job on the update with what can be expected was a limited budget.
It's a great facelift with some great new features and standard inclusions.

Past Rides:
2017 Kia Stinger GT
2008 FG XR6 Sedan
2008 FG G6E Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2008 BF XR6 Turbo Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2003 BA XR8 Ute
2003 BA XR6 Sedan
Old 15-09-2011, 11:58 PM   #268
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by No.6
I think Ford agree. Having a large, shiny intercooler hanging out in the bottom of the bar is NOT sexy! Thank christ they blocked it off!
Old 16-09-2011, 12:04 AM   #269
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

This might sound strange, but within a couple of hours, after looking at it a couple more times.

I've gone to not sure about the front end, to really liking it.

I know what i'll be saving up for next year!!

Edit: big shiny intercooler sticking out the front of a falcon = not a good look. Its bad enough when its an old Evo or WRX....
Old 16-09-2011, 12:07 AM   #270
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
I think that's close. The same reason why there's been delays with LPi as well as FG2; It's better to release something that isn't half baked if they can help it.

These running changes may have downsides, but one of the upsides is having more frequent press releases and therefore more media exposure. Case in point is LPi. Ford has made no ads regarding it but every media outlet has reported on it. Everyone here knows about it and the product is that great I'm sure most have spoken about it to like-minded workmates, mates or family.

Being so close to FG2 I can see why they didn't bother with any promotion to joe public. The delay in FG2 was a blessing in disguise at it would have taken the limelight off LPi had they been released together.

The last couple of months we've been kept busy with learning about LPi and Tez, the next few months we'll be talking about FG2. When we get bored of that, Ecoboost will hit the scene and keep us chewing the fat till FPV do their updates. All the while we'll have certain people asking why Ford still haven't released a diesel powered sportswagon tricycle that runs on LPG and has 7 full size spare wheels with standard gold-plated 200hp subwoofer driven by a 8sp dct, all for the price of a Daewoo Cruze.