Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 16-09-2011, 12:14 AM   #271
WASP
Whipple Induced

Default Re: FG Falcon MKII

Just thinking about, looking at the new XR6T package, the updated FPV GS is looking to be a quite a compelling market offering.
Old 16-09-2011, 12:23 AM   #272
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJH
This might sound strange, but within a couple of hours, after looking at it a couple more times.

I've gone to not sure about the front end, to really liking it.

I know what i'll be saving up for next year!!

Edit: big shiny intercooler sticking out the front of a falcon = not a good look. Its bad enough when its an old Evo or WRX....
Doesn't sound strange at all, it's grown on me too. The XT has gained the most but the XR... it now has beef in it's front end, a lot more masculine. I'm really liking it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDAA
Just thinking about, looking at the new XR6T package, the updated FPV GS is looking to be a quite a compelling market offering.
True that. Especially with some of these new colours.
Old 16-09-2011, 12:23 AM   #273
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Farnsworth
bizarre that they would consider it in a running change, they have a habit of doing that. turbo motor internals, bodykits, v8 chain tensioners.
They're waiting for the local EPASS provider to set up, goauto had an article on it.......
Old 16-09-2011, 12:26 AM   #274
4.0i OHC
Computer Torque Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJH
This might sound strange, but within a couple of hours, after looking at it a couple more times.

I've gone to not sure about the front end, to really liking it.

I know what i'll be saving up for next year!!

Edit: big shiny intercooler sticking out the front of a falcon = not a good look. Its bad enough when its an old Evo or WRX....
Maybe some of the nasty comments relating to the styling eventuated because the posters were too used to the (rather average looking IMO) FG I.
FG II is what the FG I should have looked like in the first place. It looks much more natural and modern, and less 'saggy' (for lack of a better word) at the front end. Yes, I know it was a mid-life update, but it just appears so much more cohesive.

It also appears that Ford have really listened to customers (perhaps they have spies on this very forum). We get projectors, LSD in the stock XR6, curtain airbags across the range, USB, LED lights, touch screen (don't like them myself, but everyone else seems to). The XT no longer screams 'pov pack'; the wheel designs are much more sophisticated and upmarket. Combined with Ford's renewed marketing strength (see the ads for the new Territory and that new Ford small car which is unworthy of wearing the Focus name), Ford may be on to a winner.

For those complaining that Holden were more comprehensive in their VE Series II update, I have to say that this is not the case at all. Yes, their six was updated, but it is still considerably inferior to the venerable Falcon six. Besides, the Falcon receives both EcoLPi and EcoBoost, which should be considerably cheaper to run than Holden's gutless six, and a far more enjoyable drive.

I liken this update to an AU-AU2, EF-EL or BA-BF update, and given the 3-year spacing between models, this seems to be an appropriate update. Why does everyone expect such a high model turnover, when hardly any manufacturers do so (I believe that the Falcon never has)?

This being Australian Ford Forums, I have to be critical of the Falcon in some way, so I'll close this post with the following statement:

I'm just a little disappointed that the Futura and Fairmont didn't return (along with a top of the range Fairmont GXL). I would've liked to see that happen.

Regardless, this is one car that makes me drool over the Falcon again. It makes me want a Falcon. I haven't had this desire since 2007. Now that the Falcon's fatal flaw has been fixed, I'm proud to be a blue blood again.

Last edited by 4.0i OHC; 16-09-2011 at 12:35 AM. Reason: removing controversial content
Old 16-09-2011, 12:30 AM   #275
4.0i OHC
Computer Torque Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
I think that's close. The same reason why there's been delays with LPi as well as FG2; It's better to release something that isn't half baked if they can help it.

These running changes may have downsides, but one of the upsides is having more frequent press releases and therefore more media exposure. Case in point is LPi. Ford has made no ads regarding it but every media outlet has reported on it. Everyone here knows about it and the product is that great I'm sure most have spoken about it to like-minded workmates, mates or family.
This is certainly the correct approach. Remember that disastrous late 80s all-new Falcon that was rushed to the public? Ford are understandably paranoid of a repeat of that scenario. It was a good looking car in it's day, though!
Old 16-09-2011, 01:45 AM   #276
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
grill very similar to ve2 berlina grill, with the badge surrounded by the chrome wings.

screen looks a bit 'in your face' the way it sticks out compared to the current screen.

overall, its a very recognisable car now.

glad to see they've upped the airbag count to satisfy the small minded journo's.
It is also good for resale when fleets sell their cars at auction as now they all have the best safety options on all their cars. Rental car companies will like this.

I'll let you call my wife small minded for wanting a car with the best safety options available from the manufacturer for her family. Its not just the media.
Old 16-09-2011, 01:53 AM   #277
Bobman
Regulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.0i OHC
It also appears that Ford have really listened to customers (perhaps they have spies on this very forum). We get projectors, LSD in the stock XR6, curtain airbags across the range, USB, LED lights, touch screen
Which customers wanted LED DRL lights? They're ridiculous! I like the USB input too.

Quote:
I liken this update to an AU-AU2, EF-EL or BA-BF update, and given the 3-year spacing between models, this seems to be an appropriate update. Why does everyone expect such a high model turnover, when hardly any manufacturers do so (I believe that the Falcon never has)?
I think it's more of an AUII-AUIII or BAI-BAII/BFI-BFII update. There were a lot of changes between the models you mentioned, and that's not the case between FG & FGII.

I can't wait to drive one!

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Old 16-09-2011, 02:09 AM   #278
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Fords Marketing also has a huuuuge rol to play with LiLPG, but thats perhaps for another thread (and already covered). Attitudes can change, take diesel for example, if there are clear benefits for consumers and they are communicated in a way that makes it attractive then nothing is impossible.

Diesels advantage is its higher mileage for just about the same price (outer suburbs of melb price), therefore cost of running per km is lower.

LPG might use more fuel, but it costs less in the long run. Sure you might have to fill up a couple more times per month, but I believe most would accept that.
Exactly. LiLPG will only be as good as Ford are at marketing and selling it. There are preconceptions in the marketplace that marketing must overcome to get this car the sales it deserves.

The technology that the engineers have put on Falcon is first class.

Dan
Old 16-09-2011, 02:14 AM   #279
No.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by duaned
I think Ford agree. Having a large, shiny intercooler hanging out in the bottom of the bar is NOT sexy! Thank christ they blocked it off!
It was the only thing that differentiated the turbo (besides the badge and wheels) from the NA xr6 from the front. Not to everyones tastes, but personally i like having an aggressive intercooler that is not completely 'out there' like japanese cars. I suppose you guys dont like the F6310 either?

Did they add DRL's to the XR series? i cant seem to find them..I pray they arent the attention seeking type of the HSV series....
Old 16-09-2011, 02:23 AM   #280
FPVGT500
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I love the new XR front end the overall package is nice, i wonder when we will see the updated FPVs
Old 16-09-2011, 02:26 AM   #281
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Quote:
Originally Posted by No.6
It was the only thing that differentiated the turbo (besides the badge and wheels) from the NA xr6 from the front. Not to everyones tastes, but personally i like having an aggressive intercooler that is not completely 'out there' like japanese cars. I suppose you guys dont like the F6310 either?

Did they add DRL's to the XR series? i cant seem to find them..I pray they arent the attention seeking type of the HSV series....
I see exposed intercoolers as a cry for attention, not different to those DRL's you are deriding in that post.
Old 16-09-2011, 02:48 AM   #282
No.6

Surely you cant compare the HSV drl's to the intercooler of the xr6t...its not as outlandish as those things.

have you even seen the fg xr6t with the grill cut out? it doesnt look all that different to one with the grill! Just a 'little' more noticeable, a very subtle change that adds to the look of the front end.

Aint nothing wrong with having a little more character in your own pride and joy is there? And if thats a 'cry for attention', i wonder what your opinion is of the HSV's, or lancers with the black front end, or DRL's on audi's, or the parker lights on BMW's, or stripes on an FPV, or any other car for that matter with a little character.

Like i said, its not to everyones tastes, but dont lable us that DO like the visual aspect of it as 'crying for attention', because we arent. Its simply to make it look different to the NA xr6.
Old 16-09-2011, 04:40 AM   #283
nasss92

Positives to be seen: Xr's look great, LSD standard on xr utes, LEDs , usb connectivity, touchscreen,

Negatives: No sign of epas, no chassis/weight improvements , g series front bumper still a bit iffy

And for god sakes ford.. EVERY update should see a power increase (and dont lie to yourselves, deep down you all agree) .. why? because you can and it'd be the true blue aussie thing to do! Ther certainly wouldnt be any objectors to the matter, kilowatts make life fun simple as that

also, has anything been changed to the rear of the cars? the new front is starting to grow on me... especially that red xr6 (not so much the g series atm).....BUTT, my final verdict is incomplete though without an *** shot, its very crucial in my opinion that the rear end compliments the whole figure... just like a women!

was there any discussion of when the car is going to be first exhibited? cant wait to see it in the flesh
Old 16-09-2011, 05:31 AM   #284
redauxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Any idea when the updates will filter down into the FPV models?
Old 16-09-2011, 06:28 AM   #285
Seduce XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline
MMmmm... a bit of tint and a splash of chrome...

Now this Pic looks much better than the previous ones so as I said is a bit early to know 100% what it will really look like, need to see it in the flesh.

Like this Pic though gotta say
Old 16-09-2011, 09:20 AM   #286
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasss92
And for god sakes ford.. EVERY update should see a power increase (and dont lie to yourselves, deep down you all agree) .. why? because you can and it'd be the true blue aussie thing to do! Ther certainly wouldnt
Dont agreed at all.. This is not the 90's!! What I would say is that every update needs fuel uiprovement!!
Old 16-09-2011, 09:24 AM   #287
FG XR
Custom FG XR6!

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always keen to get on board and help others along the way 

Wonder of those xr head lights will fit mk1 fg's?? Hope so!!
Old 16-09-2011, 09:25 AM   #288
Bobman
Regulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
Dont agreed at all.. This is not the 90's!! What I would say is that every update needs fuel uiprovement!!
Agreed. With speed cameras everywhere, who cares about small power increases for new models these days?

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Old 16-09-2011, 09:27 AM   #289
FG XR
Custom FG XR6!

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always keen to get on board and help others along the way 

Any rear changes?
Old 16-09-2011, 09:28 AM   #290
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
I don't agree, either. It's the reason they offer 4 different power levels, as from early next year, anyway.
EB2.0 ~170kW
Petrol I6 195kW
LPi 198kW
Turbo 270kW
Old 16-09-2011, 09:40 AM   #291
Anchor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Meh, they'll never keep all of you guys happy..
67 SS Nova Coupe. Iron AES 398 LS. T56. 2x 72mm T-netics BB. TCI Pro Touring F&R Clip. Streetfighter Project. 1200hp
73 Z28 RS Camaro. 6.0 LS. Coilovers. 18x9 / 18x10.
Old 16-09-2011, 09:43 AM   #292
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Keep in mind though that its normal that not everyone should be happy, otherwise we would have a crown vic.

But, if someone wants to bag it out they need to back up their statement with some logic, thats whats mising.
Old 16-09-2011, 09:59 AM   #293
gun-fpv
Rather roar than whistle

I like the new mk II ford just keep getting better and better!!!
Old 16-09-2011, 10:02 AM   #294
EFFalcon
Last warning

there were no power increases between EF->EL
no power increases between AU->AU3

why the expectation for FGI to FGII

and the complaints about LPI or EcoBoost... they're options.
don't like it, get the 6.
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
Old 16-09-2011, 10:04 AM   #295
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielXR8
I'll let you call my wife small minded for wanting a car with the best safety options available from the manufacturer for her family. Its not just the media.

having an airbag doesn't automatically make it safer

falcon scored very well in the pole test, but i guess that doesn't mean anything cos it didn't have an airbag.

if the falcon only pulled 4 stars, but had 400 airbags.......
Old 16-09-2011, 10:04 AM   #296
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG XR
Wonder of those xr head lights will fit mk1 fg's?? Hope so!!
Yes Id say so...

Better order some aye!
Old 16-09-2011, 10:12 AM   #297
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As somone who decided to refinance my final payment to hang on to our G6ET until FGII is released so that I could decide between a Terry or Falcon I really favour the new G6ET based on what I've seen now. It's enough of a change to make it worth upgrading and I guess as a new car buyer this is the primary aim for Ford. And they have succeeded imho.

I really don't mean to be condescending, however if you never ever buy brand new cars and never plan to then you're not Ford's target. (or any new car seller)
Old 16-09-2011, 10:13 AM   #298
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchor
Meh, they'll never keep all of you guys happy..

its actually quite sad isn't it.

Ford don't have a never ending supply of cash. FG was released in 2008 and is already having a minor upgrade 3 years later. VE was released in 2006 and only got upgraded this year. surely that tells you something about the state of the auto industry in australia.

also, as pointed out many times, this isn't a new model!! its just a series 2. be thankful it has new bumpers. the only other time a model got this sort of major change was au1 -> au2 for obvious reasons. most other times in ford's history, only a ford enthusiast would spot the differences between series 1 and 2 of whichever model.

the FG is a fantastic car. this update has freshened it up somewhat although it wasn't really dating.

like all topics on the falcon, there are many people that only look for the negative, and they've all come out to play again with this one.

as mentioned earlier, if someone googles FG2 as part of some research, it will no doubt lead them to this thread and what sort of opinion is that going to make!! we all rave on about marketing and yet many on here contribute to the poor image by continual negativity on a public internet forum.
Old 16-09-2011, 10:15 AM   #299
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey

having an airbag doesn't automatically make it safer

falcon scored very well in the pole test, but i guess that doesn't mean anything cos it didn't have an airbag.

if the falcon only pulled 4 stars, but had 400 airbags.......
You're trying to use logic, what for?
It was available anyway as an option so if people can't see beyond the media's scaremongering and deemed they really "needed" them, they were available. Baaaa.
Old 16-09-2011, 11:04 AM   #300
Quicksand
Lucky, lucky bastard!

XT looks excellent, a real improvement. Love the new look of the XR's, especially the Territory influence on the grill and the Fiesta influence on the bumper. Those 19's look amazing! The G series will have to grow on me...What a 12 months we have had! And more to come yet by the sounds of it. Bloody good job Ford!
Closed Thread