Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 06-09-2005, 05:38 PM   #1
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Default Exterior Mods....

Well, im just waiting for my Tax return to be received so that i can get my Pedders coils on the car. Can't wait. 1.5inch...

But today i went to get a quote for the exterior black parts painted (ie, door handles, door mouldings and the rear hatch black strip)... i got quoted $430... i almost laughed. Is this too expensive? I just want to make my car look good, but not fullysik style......

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2005, 06:57 PM   #2
0xyg3n

Lol thats way to $$$$. For that price you could almost colour code everything by repraying the whole car. I wouldn't be paying anything more then 100$ - 150$ for colour coding
0xyg3n is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2005, 09:29 PM   #3
joshf2
striped

dont forget to change your shocks when you change your springs, cause chances are, the original shocks are valved to match the original spring rate

with the reduced travel distance, your shocks will tend to "bounce" alot more
joshf2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2005, 09:47 PM   #4
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0xyg3n
Lol thats way to $$$$. For that price you could almost colour code everything by repraying the whole car. I wouldn't be paying anything more then 100$ - 150$ for colour coding
That is what i thought! My friend (same place) paid $700 to get halve his Honda Accord Euro resprayed.... and they tell me $430 to colour code those little things. Considering the side of the fiesta compared to a Euro, im pretty sure that the Fiesta could the resprayed for $1000. Rip off IMO. Ill be going to another place......

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Old 06-09-2005, 09:50 PM   #5
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

Hey teki, good stuff about the springs would look awesome i say. Pity i have no monies to do it at the moment :

Um where did u go for the quote for the trim painting??
Old 06-09-2005, 09:54 PM   #6
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISTA FIESTA
Hey teki, good stuff about the springs would look awesome i say. Pity i have no monies to do it at the moment :

Um where did u go for the quote for the trim painting??

Hahaha, i have monies, but i wanna wait for tax returns first. As for the trim painting... i have the card in the car.... its a NRMA Preferred smash repairer.... and my friend just had his accident repairs on his Accord Euro, and it looks flash.

Joshf2.... Timmeh has the same shocks still on his Focus and he lowered it with Pedders.... only 1 inch as well, and hasnt had any problems as yet. Also improved the handling due to the centre of gravity. Ill live with just the coils.....

Old 06-09-2005, 09:59 PM   #7
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

hmmmm might have to get a few quotes and start saving ie have maxed out the credit card and pretty much means i have no life for 2 weeks and petrol just sucks.

But if all goes well there might be a few surprises on the cruise thats if my tax return is nice and juicy and ppls will start paying me for the work i do besides the work i get paid to do.

AHHHH i feel like a 15yr old ie no money,and no life and the best thing u had was a BMX.
Old 06-09-2005, 11:11 PM   #8
0xyg3n

I still have the OEM shocks with my springs no problems here. It helps abit that they where still newish when I installed the springs. If the shocks where like 5+ years old and sagged abit that would be a different story.
0xyg3n is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2005, 02:21 AM   #9
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
hmmmm might have to get a few quotes and start saving ie have maxed out the credit card and pretty much means i have no life for 2 weeks and petrol just sucks.

But if all goes well there might be a few surprises on the cruise thats if my tax return is nice and juicy and ppls will start paying me for the work i do besides the work i get paid to do.

AHHHH i feel like a 15yr old ie no money,and no life and the best thing u had was a BMX.
I might be saving, i might be short on cash, but a life i will always have. Best thing i ever did was NOT get a credit card. I only spend money that i HAVE, and hence i save better like this. I also budget so i can spend about $50 on saturday nights : ..... :

Old 07-09-2005, 09:44 AM   #10
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

Well, when ur older u will hear of a word called "Credit Rating" this is will enable you to do alot of things ie get a loan for a place like i did. And paying off a mortgage is not that fun either. So it was either my liife sufferes for 2 weeks or my credit rating does. I chose life but it will all be sweet once tax come rolling in.

But yes i do save as i never see the monies i earn only get a fraction of it which is better.

Anyways back to topic how much did pedders quote you?
Old 07-09-2005, 01:48 PM   #11
RiC
Starter Motor

I got an approximate quote from talon http://www.talonbodystyling.com.au/ to paint all my black mouldings on my focus for $200.. not sure if that was goin to be the final price though
RiC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2005, 05:47 PM   #12
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Well, when ur older u will hear of a word called "Credit Rating" this is will enable you to do alot of things ie get a loan for a place like i did. And paying off a mortgage is not that fun either. So it was either my liife sufferes for 2 weeks or my credit rating does. I chose life but it will all be sweet once tax come rolling in.

But yes i do save as i never see the monies i earn only get a fraction of it which is better.

Anyways back to topic how much did pedders quote you?
I totally agree with you MF on the credit rating bit. Its the one reason I keep credit cards. Having said that, I purposely spend ONLY what I have in my account on them that I know I can easily pay back simply to get a credit rating. Thats all I use them for, and I pay them off by internet transfer the minute i get home after buying something with them.

Teki- The quote sounds approximately right, but you may be able to get it for about 100 cheaper elsewhere. NRMA or RACV approved Panel-oes are always furking expensive cuz they always do cheap work for insurere, so when someone comes in for an elective repair then they go nuts and charge big time. Try someone NOT approved or an Aftermarket paint shop. Im looking to get mine done too, just havent found quotes yet.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2005, 10:04 PM   #13
joshf2
striped

why dont you go buy the paint and do it yourself? that way, its "custom" and you'll save a packet

if you dont know how to, find a friend who does ;)
Old 07-09-2005, 10:34 PM   #14
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshf2
why dont you go buy the paint and do it yourself? that way, its "custom" and you'll save a packet

if you dont know how to, find a friend who does ;)
Because average joe blow could never match, or spray the car like an experienced panel beater could (Especially Teki's metallic blue), you need the proper equipment (Venturi equipment and air compressors, then the clear coats) required to do it, then you'd probably need to bake the paint etc etc. If he doens't know anyone with experience who could help him, it would probably not be all that viable an option.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2005, 11:20 AM   #15
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

Default Exterior mods

The quote sounds right teki

I got a quote a few months back for mouldings painted and it was around the 430-450 mark.

Seems expensive but like everything else in life, you get what you pay for and on a nice new car why would you want anything but the best.
Candy White, Anthracite heated Sports leather seats w/ Red stitching.Tinted Windows, Eibach Pro-Kit springs,Whiteline Front/Rear adjustable sway bars,Cupra R intake, Forge Turbo Inlet pipe,BMC panel filter, APR stage one flash,
Dunlop SP sport MAXX, Forge Polished upper front strut brace. 3'' downpipe and highflow cat

Loads of fun :
mitch_lx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2005, 06:14 PM   #16
joshf2
striped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny
Because average joe blow could never match, or spray the car like an experienced panel beater could (Especially Teki's metallic blue), you need the proper equipment (Venturi equipment and air compressors, then the clear coats) required to do it, then you'd probably need to bake the paint etc etc. If he doens't know anyone with experience who could help him, it would probably not be all that viable an option.
geez, some people take things a bit too seriously

and in all seriousness, some panel beaters are just crap

and sometimes you have friends who have that equipment

i know i wont need to fork out that much to paint such small amounts
Old 08-09-2005, 06:35 PM   #17
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

A basic cost in any spraying is matching the paint colour, so things get cheaper (per part) as you do more parts, as the initial cost of colour matching has been done.

$430 isn't a bargain basement price, but it's not insanely crazy. And for a full respray for a car, you'd be looking at 3 grand to get it done properly.

If you want to do a bodge job on your $20k+ car because you don't want to spend $300 (the value I would consider reasonable) on getting stuff properly matched, then enjoy the results. If you have a mate who can do a proper two pack spray job for you for a six pack of beer, then great stuff, half your luck.

Tim
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2005, 06:37 PM   #18
joshf2
striped

so assuming your car is fairly new, and the paint hasnt changed colour from when it came out the factory. how hard is it to match a paint code??????
Old 08-09-2005, 06:47 PM   #19
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

Quote:
so assuming your car is fairly new, and the paint hasnt changed colour from when it came out the factory. how hard is it to match a paint code??????
It took the guys who installed my custom kit and rear bar repair (all in the one sitting) about three days to match my heat sensitive Blue Flame, as the colour codes they got from Ford didn't look even close, and they eventually had to do it by eye. Just to clarify, time was lost waiting for answers from Ford in between each set of mixes to try.

Once they had it matched, it was easy street for them to complete the job. Of course, it doesn't always take this much effort, but it is a brand new paint with all the codes supplied by Ford to them and it was still not right, so it goes to show age of vehicle doesn't always mean easy times.

I just wanted my car back with the kit installed asap, so it was frustrating for me as well as the paintshop.

----------------------------------------------------------

EDIT My one thousandth post! 1000 posts and still talking about the Focus, go figure!

:baby bott :dr_Evil: :

Tim

Last edited by Timmeh; 08-09-2005 at 06:53 PM.
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2005, 06:52 PM   #20
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

HA, went to another place today, "around about $500".... bah, im over colour coding the car now.... ill just stick to lowering! lol

Old 08-09-2005, 11:43 PM   #21
Scareybear
GRRRR.....

Quote:
ever tried it??
Scareybear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2005, 07:55 AM   #22
joshf2
striped

a mate of mine has just done the phantom colour on the tonneau cover hook plugs
Old 09-09-2005, 04:28 PM   #23
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
a mate of mine has just done the phantom colour on the tonneau cover hook plugs
Ive been watching this thread and it pretty much comes down to this IMHO - ig you're confident enough to do it yourself, or have a mate do it, then do it. But dont complain about the prices you're getting - either keep looking, or pay it. The price you pay means you at least get some sort of warranty in that you can take the car back and have the job done again if its not done properly - if you do it yourself, you cant really do that and you may damage the car's finish beyond repair trying to do so.
Old 09-09-2005, 09:06 PM   #24
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

YEA! Tax return today... ill be dropping into Pedders again this week.....