Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-09-2021, 03:24 PM   #14791
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
I haven’t read it in depth or cross-checked, but a quick skim over a news article this morning suggested that less people were dying of the Delta coronavirus than the original 2020 variant. While that’s good news, one has to ponder if it’s then not the “beast” one CHO alleged it to be.
Don't know if it's the same article but i read the same on the ABC this morning, but it has a little bit more to it........and which i guess could be a big plus for getting vaccinated.

"The Delta COVID outbreak has been less deadly than those last year due to vaccinations"

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-09-...aths/100446044

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
Old 10-09-2021, 03:31 PM   #14792
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
You clearly know nothing about the situation I was referring to.

So everyone at every major News network should be scrutinized by Fixated Person Unit since they have built entire TV channels about criticizing politicians?

Sky News should be the first to be investigated.

Speaking of Sky News...... they have been caught using actors, posing as disgruntled citizens, to slag off certain states. They are also now scrubbing their youtube videos as they have been caught spreading lies and false information on covid

Its any wonder why people who watch it religiously are always scared and angry at the world.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
3 users like this post:
Old 10-09-2021, 04:33 PM   #14793
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351 View Post
Don't know if it's the same article but i read the same on the ABC this morning, but it has a little bit more to it........and which i guess could be a big plus for getting vaccinated.

"The Delta COVID outbreak has been less deadly than those last year due to vaccinations"

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-09-...aths/100446044
The quoted 0.4% rate is a little misleading. Of the 36,159 NSW cases up to yesterday, more than half of those have been in the last 14 days where those who are possibly going to die are mostly amongst the 207 currently in ICU.

There have been 162 deaths in NSW this year which is actually a crude CMR of 0.448% but if we factor out the cases in the last 14 days then the CMR is more like 0.92% YTD and that rate has been hovering around the 1% mark since this outbreak began.

My modelling (probably a little pessimistic) shows that there will be ~170 deaths from the 18,510 cases recorded in the last 14 days.

I've said before, based on UK, Israel and Florida modelling, that the likely 80% of eligible persons vaccinated CMR is going to be between 0.4% and 1% - well less than the global average last year of 2.7%.

Worth adding that Victoria has a crude CMR this year of 0.1% so far and the adjusted CMR is 0.28%.

Whole of pandemic, Victoria has 25,786 cases and 824 deaths for an overall CMR of 3.2% thanks mostly to the aged care debacle last year. By contrast, NSW has 40,967 cases and 162 deaths for a CMR of 0.53%.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 10-09-2021, 05:01 PM   #14794
tweeked
N/A all the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Speaking of Sky News...... they have been caught using actors, posing as disgruntled citizens, to slag off certain states. They are also now scrubbing their youtube videos as they have been caught spreading lies and false information on covid

Its any wonder why people who watch it religiously are always scared and angry at the world.
Is this just the WA pilot one, that even Media Watch said was him tricking Sky, or are there others?

This user likes this post:
Old 10-09-2021, 05:47 PM   #14795
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeked View Post
Is this just the WA pilot one, that even Media Watch said was him tricking Sky, or are there others?
Yeh thats the one I saw. I don't buy the being tricked story. You'd think a $14b organisation could do some basic checks before broadcasting to the nation . They also do interviews with Rebel News, another mob known to use actors and set ups.

Interesting though, that News Corp is doing a complete 180 on climate change now. I think they see the writing on the wall i.e. real threat to being cancelled.

Rides (past and present)
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

Old 10-09-2021, 06:35 PM   #14796
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
Complete fallacy to even think anyone could control it.

For those in states with lesser cases how is your lifestyle and freedoms compared to NSW...and remember there are people and lives outside of your border.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed
Did she ever have Control of It..???

Dropping the daily Press Conferences is a clear signal (to me at least) The
peak is yet to come.& she's all out of Glitter to roll the Turd In..!
A little early to crow yet but NZ maybe on top of Delta the way the numbers are heading (touch wood ) .....if that becomes the case i think we will be the first western country to contain it .....(until the next outbreak ) which will prove it can be done

Au11 fairmont Ghia ported gt40p heads ,comp springs and locks
Xe 264 cam,custom intake,pacemaker tri y headers
524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
4 users like this post:
Old 10-09-2021, 07:24 PM   #14797
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I managed to move my first jab from 6/10 to next Thursday arvo so good to see those extra doses coming online. Hopefully we come out of lockdown next Friday.

ACT CM has already said we won't be enforcing passports and in any case the vaccination rate is high enough that it provides no incentive. Private business may choose to insist but it will not be required.
Old 10-09-2021, 08:25 PM   #14798
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooDog View Post
A little early to crow yet but NZ maybe on top of Delta the way the numbers are heading (touch wood ) .....if that becomes the case i think we will be the first western country to contain it .....(until the next outbreak ) which will prove it can be done

Well good on you all there.
The size makes a big diff.
Let’s see what’s to become in the future when she opens up for flights etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
Old 10-09-2021, 08:35 PM   #14799
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
You clearly know nothing about the situation I was referring to.

So everyone at every major News network should be scrutinized by Fixated Person Unit since they have built entire TV channels about criticizing politicians?

Sky News should be the first to be investigated.
No, thats their job, you said Youtubers.
Old 10-09-2021, 08:42 PM   #14800
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefargo View Post
It seems to me that most (where I live) just do it and let the issues that others are having wash over them.

I probably miss seeing smiles, etc I have surprised myself as to how much I must rely on facial expressions. I just tell myself that 'they smiled back'. -probably wishful thinking.
Its because were from SA, a free settled colony of upstanding citizens.

Lol, im as ugly AF so masks are a god send, ive had more looks since wearing one than in the previous 44years.
I told the Wife i have to beat them off with a stick
4 users like this post:
Old 10-09-2021, 10:13 PM   #14801
Trendseeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
I'm sorry but an unsupported comment from the SMH with an estimate is hardly solid research and even the referenced findings from Harvard and Birmingham U are also estimates based on some fairly rubbery metrics.

It's a bit like all those who have died from all sorts of related and unrelated things but who were smokers so the anti-smoking lobby includes their deaths in their statistics.

Or, more accurately, counting all the deaths from respiratory illnesses in cities with any days in the year over a certain index number and saying that the air pollution was the cause regardless of what else actually killed them.

I'm not saying it doesn't cause some deaths but I suspect that the 3,000 estimate by the AIHW is still, at best, a guess and a read of that paper shows that they simply attributed percentages of various causes of death (lung cancer, stroke, heart disease) in line with estimates supplied by the WHO.

We really shouldn't let the facts and/or solid, peer reviewed research get in the way of a good media beat-up.
I agree that the statement in the SMH doesn’t provide a direct reference to the report, however, a similar article in The Guardian does provide specific details from the report including a chart and the estimated percentage of deaths in Australia and Oceania (3.2%).

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...eaths-research

Another article from Harvard about the same report goes into detail about the approach and models that were used to produce the estimates.

https://www.seas.harvard.edu/news/20...iously-thought

Precise figures on deaths from pollution are obviously difficult to determine and collect, however the estimates produced by the models were compared to pollution measurements and fatalities over several years and there was a correlation.
Old 11-09-2021, 07:25 AM   #14802
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Since the latest outbreak vaccination rates have stepped up over the ditch 66% of over 12 year olds have now had at least one shot so steadily getting there

Maori and Pacifica people are supposed to be the most at risk ...and their rates are'nt good

Au11 fairmont Ghia ported gt40p heads ,comp springs and locks
Xe 264 cam,custom intake,pacemaker tri y headers
524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
Old 11-09-2021, 12:23 PM   #14803
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Crickets.....
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/08/21/who-...-pandemic.html

I smell Evil.
Old 11-09-2021, 12:24 PM   #14804
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Data valid as at 00:00 GMT September 10th 2021.

Note
: As not all Australian States report at the same time, the data below is based on the previous full day reporting.

1,871 new cases for Australia (a new record) and 10 deaths so the CMR is 1.539%.

19 new cases and no deaths for NZ so CMR is 0.698%.

The UK had a lower 36,734 cases yesterday and lower 144 deaths for a CMR of 1.869%.

A higher 170,160 new cases in the USA yesterday and lower 2,638 deaths sees CMR at 1.624%.

Other notable points:
Global cases pass 224M, the last 1M in 2 days;
Africa moves below the 90th percentile for the 10-day period;
North America passes 50M cases;

Bermuda (192);
Grenada (216);
Suriname (575); and
Australia (1,871)

... recorded new highs; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive day.

No countries move above the 90th percentile for the 10 day period while no countries drop below.

Observatio Facta Rotae

3 users like this post:
Old 11-09-2021, 12:29 PM   #14805
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

NSW records 1,603 cases in the current period (another new high) and the 10-day average growth rate increases slightly to 1.0417 (from 1.0335) while the actual line remains below the predictive trend line but still climbing.

VIC records 450 cases in the current period (a new high for this outbreak) but the 10-day average growth rate decreases to 1.1613 (from 1.1845) while the actual line moves even further above the predictive trend line.

Observatio Facta Rotae

5 users like this post:
Old 11-09-2021, 12:42 PM   #14806
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeKing View Post
It's more than a year old and based on fairly scanty data at the time. I'm not saying the general thrust isn't correct as I suspect it is but we've learnt a lot since that was written.

Observatio Facta Rotae

3 users like this post:
Old 11-09-2021, 12:44 PM   #14807
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeKing View Post
That article is over a year old.

Do you have any up to date evil?
Old 11-09-2021, 12:47 PM   #14808
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hehe I see Dr Chant hasn't helped things either...NWO

Rides (past and present)

3 users like this post:
Old 11-09-2021, 12:50 PM   #14809
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When she said that I was thinking they are off and racing now
3 users like this post:
Old 11-09-2021, 02:07 PM   #14810
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
It's more than a year old and based on fairly scanty data at the time. I'm not saying the general thrust isn't correct as I suspect it is but we've learnt a lot since that was written.
Sorry Squires, it wasn't my original source ( same as this link ) because I forgot to change filters to 'last day'.

Here's a random:
From DM:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art....html#comments

Wouldn't surprise if the article from DM is troll or wrong, but the comments are interesting if you click on 'best'.
Old 11-09-2021, 10:20 PM   #14811
slowsnake
Banned

Well my local suburban shopping centre was again packed out, seems the vaccination clinic is doing a roaring trade, good to see Perth locals are being fair dinkum about the covid threat!

Or, are they worried about all the easterners coming for the footy final! I wonder!

Cheers Billy.
Old 11-09-2021, 11:36 PM   #14812
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsnake View Post
Well my local suburban shopping centre was again packed out, seems the vaccination clinic is doing a roaring trade, good to see Perth locals are being fair dinkum about the covid threat!

Or, are they worried about all the easterners coming for the footy final! I wonder!

Cheers Billy.
Sooner or later you going to have to open up your state or are you lot going to stay hiding under your beds wetting yourselves.
Every state needs to be vaccinated ASAP so we Australia try to get back to some normality.
Cheers
Old 12-09-2021, 12:18 AM   #14813
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsme View Post
Sooner or later you going to have to open up your state or are you lot going to stay hiding under your beds wetting yourselves.
Every state needs to be vaccinated ASAP so we Australia try to get back to some normality.
Cheers
our state isn't the one locked up at home
we may not be travelling interstate but we are able to travel and with a state our size well ...
and we work n play still

and for months now it has been hard to get a booking due to the vaccine supply going else where
took me over 4 months an 4 booking tries to get my first jab

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!

Last edited by wodahs; 12-09-2021 at 12:24 AM.
4 users like this post:
Old 12-09-2021, 10:02 AM   #14814
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodahs View Post
we may not be travelling interstate but we are able to travel and with a state our size well ...
and we work n play still

and for months now it has been hard to get a booking due to the vaccine supply going else where
Yes...you guys need to learn to live with it. So yeh, time to let the virus in, half your sporting crowds, shut your shops, put on your masks, cut your travel distances and start watching people end up in hospital.

Rides (past and present)

Old 12-09-2021, 10:34 AM   #14815
Trevor 57
is now there

This Delta Gladys variant just won't go away
Old 12-09-2021, 10:38 AM   #14816
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post
This Delta Gladys variant just won't go away
Give it a rest Trev.
Old 12-09-2021, 10:54 AM   #14817
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
and we work n play still

Finally spoke to my Ocean Reef brother I'm not talking to, I know that's paradoxical, but he said his wife and him just got back from visiting their daughter and grandkids in Paraburdoo, 4 weeks hols, they both had 2 shots as well, they just waiting to get to UK to visit our elder brother!

He seemed pretty lackadaisical about covid?....his words, its just like the "flu", yeh right the flu?....I just said " how's ya pacemaker going" oh it's ok, I said yeh, until ya get covid?
No answer......

Cheers Billy
Old 12-09-2021, 11:17 AM   #14818
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsnake View Post
Finally spoke to my Ocean Reef brother I'm not talking to, I know that's paradoxical, but he said his wife and him just got back from visiting their daughter and grandkids in Paraburdoo, 4 weeks hols, they both had 2 shots as well, they just waiting to get to UK to visit our elder brother!

He seemed pretty lackadaisical about covid?....his words, its just like the "flu", yeh right the flu?....I just said " how's ya pacemaker going" oh it's ok, I said yeh, until ya get covid?
No answer......

Cheers Billy
so what i just got from this comment Billy is
they arnt locked at home under their bed wetting them selves but out living life
and hes been lucky to have gotten the vaccine already

but we should open up as it will some what improve our current situation
even with all the freedom we currently have that they east doesnt whilst we hold out the virus whilst trying to get our vaccine rates up with the lacking supply from the feds
is that right

and for the record i have no problem with letting the east in after we have been afforded the vaccine supply and uptake of 80% the east has

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
3 users like this post:
Old 12-09-2021, 11:32 AM   #14819
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
so what i just got from this comment Billy is
they arnt locked at home under their bed wetting them selves but out living life
and hes been lucky to have gotten the vaccine already

but we should open up as it will some what improve our current situation
even with all the freedom we currently have that they east doesnt whilst we hold out the virus whilst trying to get our vaccine rates up with the lacking supply from the feds
is that right

and for the record i have no problem with letting the east in after we have been afforded the vaccine supply and uptake of 80% the east has
I have no objection to our WA border being open to vaccinated folk, but just sitting reading the Sunday paper, seems some idiots are lying about their "vaccinated state" or using the footy final as an excuse to get here, and by that I mean rorting the systems in place to gain access to our detriment!

Cheers Billy
Old 12-09-2021, 11:49 AM   #14820
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Was just down at the local farmers market this morning. Absolute chocker blocks. Whilst 99% were masked up, social distancing was out the window. The fear is gone and people are over it. Was obviously council sanctioned as there were a few covid marshals there.

Wouldn't surprise me if there is unofficial "learn to live with it" experiments going on in selective parts of metro melb, which could then give gov some learnings for when they open up.

Rides (past and present)

Closed Thread