Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-09-2021, 08:21 AM   #14671
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 
Default Re: Covid 19 -

In reference to Government, politics...

To be fair, if you look at the bigger picture, I don't think any government in any country handled the pandemic as well as they could have.

Covid-19 was a curveball no one saw coming, and no government had experience handling this virus war since the Spanish Flu a hundred years ago.

We can blame our politicians playing politics, but our situation could have been much much worse... Just imagine if we had that former US president running Australia.
Old 09-09-2021, 08:32 AM   #14672
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71V8 View Post
Of all the controls and restrictions being applied this pandemic......if this is true, it would be the most worrying IMHO. Not so much the goods involved, more so what it stands for. Whats next? Selective rationing of chocolate bars and chips?

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
3 users like this post:
Old 09-09-2021, 08:49 AM   #14673
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO FURTHER View Post
Covid-19 was a curveball no one saw coming....
Actually they did, hence Event 201 which ran in Oct 2019. Interesting timing. Also, watch the movie Contagion, you'd be surprised the similarities with what has played out.

https://www.centerforhealthsecurity..../scenario.html

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.

Last edited by T3rminator; 09-09-2021 at 08:57 AM.
3 users like this post:
Old 09-09-2021, 08:55 AM   #14674
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Trev has an interesting way of putting words into what many are thinking, and I'm sure he wouldn't be copping it if he was slamming Vic Gov Didn't hear many gov sympathisers during wave 2.
thank you and you are spot on - people wear their politics whether they know it or not, but their comments give them away - oh, but it is OK for them to do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Just looking at this talk of reopening international travel when 80% double jab is achieved, which could be "as early as November".
SARCASM Don' talk about opening Federal borders, that is our Federal Gvmt's issue, that would be talking politics - now you stop it you naughty boy
Old 09-09-2021, 08:57 AM   #14675
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:

To be fair, if you look at the bigger picture, I don't think any government in any country handled the pandemic as well as they could have.

Covid-19 was a curveball no one saw coming, and no government had experience handling this virus war since the Spanish Flu a hundred years ago.
you are spot on

Quote:
We can blame our politicians playing politics, but our situation could have been much much worse... Just imagine if we had that former US president running Australia.
true that
Old 09-09-2021, 09:42 AM   #14676
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

The massive amount of medical waste generated in a pandemic frenzy: I’ve been wondering about where it’s going; here’s one answer

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-09-...pike/100443968

Quote:
Originally Posted by The article
The federal government previously said there had been a hundred-fold increase in clinical waste being produced to handle coronavirus outbreaks.
This user likes this post:
Old 09-09-2021, 10:55 AM   #14677
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Are you for real ? No-one saw it coming? We sat down here and watched it all unfold watched the poms go hard immunity then about face when it went wrong they never closed there borders ? The bodies piled in the streets in Italy, then the US with their total disaster then Brazil, then India....all one after the other with all the lessons of what not to do ?

But hey I guess it just sneaked up on us

Au11 fairmont Ghia ported gt40p heads ,comp springs and locks
Xe 264 cam,custom intake,pacemaker tri y headers
524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
4 users like this post:
Old 09-09-2021, 11:22 AM   #14678
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooDog View Post
Are you for real ? No-one saw it coming? We sat down here and watched it all unfold watched the poms go hard immunity then about face when it went wrong they never closed there borders ? The bodies piled in the streets in Italy, then the US with their total disaster then Brazil, then India....all one after the other with all the lessons of what not to do ?

But hey I guess it just sneaked up on us
You have read my post out of the context to what I was implying.

When I stated, "Covid-19 was a curveball no one saw coming", I was referring to the the pandemic on a global basis ... Not just us little folks down here in Oz.

Read posts carefully before hitting the keyboard.
There can often be more than one interpretation.
2 users like this post:
Old 09-09-2021, 12:06 PM   #14679
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Now Gladys has come and said basically that vaccines are mandatory if everyone wants back to some normality.If you are vaccinated you will have freedom,if not you won’t be going anywhere
Old 09-09-2021, 12:15 PM   #14680
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metdevil
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/jmv.27247

TL;DR - Stop spreading misinformation and get the damn vaccine...
Accuses people of posting misinformation, while posting misinformation

https://medicalrepublic.com.au/liveb...gust2021/51354

Breakthrough infections with Delta in fully vaccinated individuals show the same viral loads as infections in unvaccinated individuals, researchers have found.
The unpublished paper from Oxford University also suggests that the AstraZeneca vaccine offers slightly longer-lasting protection against the Delta variant.
The study prospectively tested 740,000 people – around half in the first Alpha wave of the pandemic and half in the latest Delta wave – regularly with RT-PCR on a preset schedule, regardless of symptoms or vaccination status.
This revealed that in the second wave, which was dominated by the Delta variant, peak viral loads in vaccinated individuals with breakthrough infections were similar to those seen in unvaccinated individuals.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1....31.21261387v1

We find no difference in viral loads when comparing unvaccinated individuals to those who have vaccine “breakthrough” infections. Furthermore, individuals with vaccine breakthrough infections frequently test positive with viral loads consistent with the ability to shed infectious viruses.

https://www.news-medical.net/news/20...V-2-delta.aspx

A US-based study has recently compared the viral load in vaccinated and unvaccinated individuals who have been infected with the delta variant of severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2).

The findings reveal that vaccinated and unvaccinated individuals exhibit similar viral loads following delta infection and that vaccine breakthrough cases have the potential to transmit infection to others.

At least do some research and stop watching the project
Old 09-09-2021, 12:30 PM   #14681
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:

Do you know that we did have a former US President here in WA, his name was Hoover, and he managed the Gwalia gold mine just out of Kalgoorlie, and you are correct in your assumption, Hoover lasted just 7 months, lol, from May to November 1898.........and that was just bossing a bunch of Welsh Miners around!.....
Can you dig it!..no pun intended......

Cheers Billy
Old 09-09-2021, 12:38 PM   #14682
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

How long until the Covid vaccination status of a person in Australia, can be simply linked to their Medicare details? A simple 0-1-2-E (Exemption) code would cover all possible cases. I don’t like all the unnecessary doubling up of data.
Old 09-09-2021, 12:39 PM   #14683
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Data valid as at 00:00 GMT September 8th 2021.

Note
: As not all Australian States report at the same time, the data below is based on the previous full day reporting.

1,676 new cases for Australia and 11 deaths so the CMR is 1.603%.

27 new cases and no deaths for NZ so CMR is 0.705%.

The UK had a higher 38,486 cases yesterday and lower 191 deaths for a CMR of 1.884%.

A lower 147,205 new cases in the USA yesterday and lower 1,289 deaths sees CMR at 1.623%.

Other notable points:
Global cases pass 223M, the last 1M in 1 day;
Global deaths pass 4.6M, the last 50k in 6 days;

No countries

... recorded new highs; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive day.

Serbia moves above the 90th percentile for the 10 day period while Tunisia and Kenya drop below.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 09-09-2021, 12:40 PM   #14684
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

NSW records 1,402 cases in the current period and the 10-day average growth rate decreases slightly to 1.0142 (from 1.0250) while the actual line remains below the predictive trend line.

VIC records 325 cases in the current period (a new high for this outbreak) and the 10-day average growth rate increases to 1.1858 (from 1.1173) while the actual line is now back above the predictive trend line.

Observatio Facta Rotae

4 users like this post:
Old 09-09-2021, 12:41 PM   #14685
slowsnake
Banned

And to Trevor57,
I like the style of your posts, always an opinion, but your opinion, and very honest......keep em coming....I for one enjoy them......

Cheers Billy
2 users like this post:
Old 09-09-2021, 12:47 PM   #14686
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
Now Gladys has come and said basically that vaccines are mandatory if everyone wants back to some normality.If you are vaccinated you will have freedom,if not you won’t be going anywhere
As if that wasnt going to happen, its been spoken about for ages, otherwise why bother with the vaccine?

FWIW my wife as of today has been asked to wear eye protection in the local hospital and we are pretty regional. Shes in mental health and not "frontline" as such.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 09-09-2021, 12:48 PM   #14687
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
How long until the Covid vaccination status of a person in Australia, can be simply linked to their Medicare details? A simple 0-1-2-E (Exemption) code would cover all possible cases. I don’t like all the unnecessary doubling up of data.
Not a bad idea... But what happens when we start vaccinating children?

People under 15 can't have their own Medicare card. (On their parents card only).
Old 09-09-2021, 12:50 PM   #14688
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
It's to keep Public service employees in their cushy jobs, blinded by their salaries and taxpayer funded extras, if anyone on this forum think they care about us " the rank and file ".....sorry, they don't, they push buttons and move papers around a desk all day, and go home satisfied and sated that it was a hard day at the office!....

PS:- George Orwell was right!

Cheers Billy
Old 09-09-2021, 12:57 PM   #14689
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
FWIW my wife as of today…
Congratulations!
2 users like this post:
Old 09-09-2021, 01:00 PM   #14690
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i am sure there are some senior public health officials deriving some sort of self gratification in being able to officially deny citizens going about their business and more importantly being able to go home.Case this morning where a young couple from Dalby can’t be together with their sick child because they have been in Sydney.The offer was made to fly them directly to Dalby,but that got rejected?????
Old 09-09-2021, 01:23 PM   #14691
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

There are still some countries struggling.

Philippines - 10DA is 18,127 - well above the 90th percentile of 8,958 and including a new daily record.

Azerbaijan - 10DA is 3,228 - above the 90th percentile of 2,605.

Israel - 10DA is 7,469 - well above the 90th percentile of 5,638 and including a new daily record.

Japan - 10DA is 15,342 - almost 2.5x above the 90th percentile of 6,250.

Kazakhstan - 10DA is 4,419 - above the 90th percentile of 3,941.

Sri Lanka - 10DA is 3,854 - above the 90th percentile of 2,673 and including a new daily record.

Palestine - 10DA is 2,448 - above the 90th percentile of 1,852.

Malaysia - 10DA is 14,438 - well above the 90th percentile of 11,655.

Thailand - 10DA is 14,789 - well above the 90th percentile of 9,731.

Vietnam - 10DA is 12,846 - more than 3x the 90th percentile of 3,446 and including a new daily record.

Norway - 10DA is 1,468 - more than 2x the 90th percentile of 689 and including a new daily record and

United Kingdom - 10DA is 36,317 - still above the 90th percentile of 34,439.

Observatio Facta Rotae

2 users like this post:
Old 09-09-2021, 01:24 PM   #14692
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
Not sure I am a fan, but I do understand why and kinda agree, but the policing is going to fall to workplaces, venues etc and I am not sure that is fair
Old 09-09-2021, 01:27 PM   #14693
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
i am sure there are some senior public health officials deriving some sort of self gratification in being able to officially deny citizens going about their business and more importantly being able to go home.Case this morning where a young couple from Dalby can’t be together with their sick child because they have been in Sydney.The offer was made to fly them directly to Dalby,but that got rejected?????
when I hear that sentiment, I always wonder what would be the motivation of 'senior public health officials' or politicians in doing that?

To cut the earning capacity of society benefits no-one and to stop families being together as some 'power trip' is really a silly point to make - there is no benefit in them doing it, EXCEPT for public health reasons
Old 09-09-2021, 01:29 PM   #14694
five 7
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metdevil View Post

I saw this *facepalm*
Ivermectin is not anti-viral. If they'd done even 2 minutes of research they would have known that...
Really.....maybe you need to spend a bit more time on the old google...hate to think you were spreading misinformation.

https://www.monash.edu/discovery-ins...ls-in-48-hours

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7539925/

Last edited by five 7; 09-09-2021 at 01:40 PM.
Old 09-09-2021, 01:32 PM   #14695
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Senior Pulic servants climb the ladder, or so I was led to believe by a person who was one level below being an SPS, who informed me it is a natural progression through the ranks, age and time served, not quality of work or service.
All work places public or private have a pecking order, and it really can be a case of " if your face don't fit " you don't get ahead, seen it all to often, real life experience not off the news or internet!......

As for the Dalby couple, who made the offer and who rejected it?
The offer to fly them direct to Dalby could of been made by a private person or organisation doing " good " charitable work.
The government dident offer it surely, then turn around and reject it?

Cheers Billy
Old 09-09-2021, 01:46 PM   #14696
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsnake View Post
Senior Pulic servants climb the ladder, or so I was led to believe by a person who was one level below being an SPS, who informed me it is a natural progression through the ranks, age and time served, not quality of work or service.
All work places public or private have a pecking order, and it really can be a case of " if your face don't fit " you don't get ahead, seen it all to often, real life experience not off the news or internet!......

As for the Dalby couple, who made the offer and who rejected it?
The offer to fly them direct to Dalby could of been made by a private person or organisation doing " good " charitable work.
The government dident offer it surely, then turn around and reject it?

Cheers Billy
Pretty sure it was Careflight who made the offer
Old 09-09-2021, 01:47 PM   #14697
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Congratulations!
Thats, but that was my poor grammar, we have been married for 13 years...all of them happy happy happy

I meant as of today they have to wear eye protection along with the mask that was always mandatory.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
4 users like this post:
Old 09-09-2021, 01:54 PM   #14698
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You have read my post out of the context to what I was implying.

When I stated, "Covid-19 was a curveball no one saw coming", I was referring to the the pandemic on a global basis ... Not just us little folks down here in Oz.

Read posts carefully before hitting the keyboard.
There can often be more than one interpretation.
Il agree with that In how it started in China but from then on it slowly migrated from country to country the whole world watched it spread like a slow moving train wreck they all operated independently every country did their own thing most countries medical professionals predicted what would happen still are it's not a curve ball that no -one saw coming

Guess I don't speak Stralian

Au11 fairmont Ghia ported gt40p heads ,comp springs and locks
Xe 264 cam,custom intake,pacemaker tri y headers
524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
Old 09-09-2021, 01:58 PM   #14699
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
There are still some countries struggling.

Philippines - 10DA is 18,127 - well above the 90th percentile of 8,958 and including a new daily record.

Azerbaijan - 10DA is 3,228 - above the 90th percentile of 2,605.

Israel - 10DA is 7,469 - well above the 90th percentile of 5,638 and including a new daily record.

Japan - 10DA is 15,342 - almost 2.5x above the 90th percentile of 6,250.

Kazakhstan - 10DA is 4,419 - above the 90th percentile of 3,941.

Sri Lanka - 10DA is 3,854 - above the 90th percentile of 2,673 and including a new daily record.

Palestine - 10DA is 2,448 - above the 90th percentile of 1,852.

Malaysia - 10DA is 14,438 - well above the 90th percentile of 11,655.

Thailand - 10DA is 14,789 - well above the 90th percentile of 9,731.

Vietnam - 10DA is 12,846 - more than 3x the 90th percentile of 3,446 and including a new daily record.

Norway - 10DA is 1,468 - more than 2x the 90th percentile of 689 and including a new daily record and

United Kingdom - 10DA is 36,317 - still above the 90th percentile of 34,439.
Interesting story about Israel's struggle with Covid since opening up after achieving high vaccine rates and potential learnings for Australia. Those expecting a 'free for all' might be a little disappointed.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/health/2...alia/100442304

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
3 users like this post:
Old 09-09-2021, 02:11 PM   #14700
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

I felt the article was not evenly represented; it focused on cases, not deaths.

They are averaging (on a seven day basis), something like 23 Covid mortalities per day. That would be ~70 deaths per day for our population.
2 users like this post:
Closed Thread