Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 08-09-2021, 03:05 PM   #14641
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post
Not happy, we had no cases Sunday, no cases yesterday, no cases today, what are they waiting for? Tell what the hold up is so we know
Your not the only one Trev. Our local district (The MLHD) goes from the ACT to Hillston and out to West Wyalong.

In the last 18 months we've had only ever had one case in this zone, and that was when someone visited Lake Cargelligo from the Parkes area, yet we're still in lockdown.
Old 08-09-2021, 03:11 PM   #14642
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
I was under the impression that the more people that get vaccinated would result in a lower chance of transmission and also a lower of the viruses "strength" as if it is passed from someone who is vaccinated then their reaction will be lessened and hence the transmission from them would be reduced and then the cycle continues from there.
Viral loads of vaxxed people is roughly the same as un-vaxxed. This vaccine is not very effective at all. Now the Mu variant is coming on song, and it doesn't look like it does much against it, so it's even worse. Every state in the US has had cases of the Mu variant except one. Just a matter of time before it gets here, cause our hotel quarantine leaks like a sieve.

And now the UK is considering a "firebreak" lockdown because their case numbers are getting too high.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...vid-cases-rise

Surely soon they just have to bite the bullet and just let it go, and it's survival of the fittest/natural selection? Can't keep locking down forever.

This will never end unless they can create a cure, not just a rubbish "vaccine" that just decreases your chances of getting sick, and becomes less and less effective with every new variant.
This user likes this post:
Old 08-09-2021, 03:24 PM   #14643
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just looking at Covidlive's forecast on days to achieve 70% and 80% 2nd dose, VIC, QLD, WA, SA and NT looks like they will achieve that target within 10 days of each other - 80% = Vic 80, QLD 89, WA 90, SA 84, NT 81.

ACT, NSW and TAS will achieve it about a month in advance. Will be interesting to see if those 3 form a travel bubble during that month.

Regarding the longer term view, I'm not that stressed on what is to come. The virus and disease has hit poor and rich nations alike, so you can be sure all resources will be thrown in to find an effective treatment, and vaccines will get better and better. Its an interesting comparison with SARS. Both have similar R0, SARS is much much deadlier, yet its been able to be brought under control.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
Old 08-09-2021, 03:56 PM   #14644
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

You know when you think about it, one of the main contributing factors (apart from supply issues), in the update of the Covid vaccinations... Has been "branding".

Almost like weighing up whether to get a Ford, Holden or other brand.

Think about all the other vaccinations you may have had in your life.
Polio, Tetanus, the Flu, Measles, whooping Cough, Mumps, Hepatitis, Rubella, and Chickenpox, to name a few.

Did anyone ever go to their doctor and say, "Excuse me, but before I agree to the jab... What brand vaccine are you giving me?"

Would it have made any difference to our decision?

Did we ever take "side-effects" into as serious a consideration as some do with the Covid-19 vaccines?

And yes, there are multiple brands of vaccines for other diseases and viruses, and all can have side effects.

I guess the race to quickly develop a Covid-19 vaccine and the regular bombardment of updates and news on the major Vaccine players in the media made it impossible to ignore "branding" in this pandemic.

In some ways though, in hindsight, it would have been better if Governments, doctors and vaccination providers did not reveal what brand you were getting.
Just providing the vaccine "brand" appropriate for your given age group and health recommendations.

Everyone knows whether they got AstraZeneca or Pfizer (and soon Moderna),
but can anyone name the brand of other non-Covid vaccinations they have had?
Old 08-09-2021, 04:28 PM   #14645
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO FURTHER View Post
You know when you think about it, one of the main contributing factors (apart from supply issues), in the update of the Covid vaccinations... Has been "branding".

Polio, Tetanus, the Flu, Measles, whooping Cough, Mumps, Hepatitis, Rubella, and Chickenpox, to name a few.

Did anyone ever go to their doctor and say, "Excuse me, but before I agree to the jab... What brand vaccine are you giving me?"

Did we ever take "side-effects" into as serious a consideration as some do with the Covid-19 vaccines?

And yes, there are multiple brands of vaccines for other diseases and viruses, and all can have side effects.

I guess the race to quickly develop a Covid-19 vaccine and the regular bombardment of updates and news on the major Vaccine players in the media made it impossible to ignore "branding" in this pandemic.

In some ways though, in hindsight, it would have been better if Governments, doctors and vaccination providers did not reveal what brand you were getting.
Just providing the vaccine "brand" appropriate for your given age group and health recommendations.

I'm just grateful that there is vaccines produced and tested in short time, yeah I know people will argue it was all rushed through but imagine waiting for years of trialling and approval and in the meantime we all locked up in our Pidgeon coops not being let out!
3 users like this post:
Old 08-09-2021, 04:29 PM   #14646
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
Your not the only one Trev. Our local district (The MLHD) goes from the ACT to Hillston and out to West Wyalong.

In the last 18 months we've had only ever had one case in this zone, and that was when someone visited Lake Cargelligo from the Parkes area, yet we're still in lockdown.
Its a bit **** when you are not directly impacted. I can kinda understand ours, but yours must be ****
Old 08-09-2021, 04:33 PM   #14647
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:

All those city folk and ACTuns heading to Coota would be the problem.

Old 08-09-2021, 04:58 PM   #14648
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Its a bit **** when you are not directly impacted. I can kinda understand ours, but yours must be ****
Meh, typical Politicians, anything past the Blue Mountains is lumped in the rural basket
Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
All those city folk and ACTuns heading to Coota would be the problem.
Nah, they all head for the coast, nobody (in their right mind) wants to go to Coota
Old 08-09-2021, 05:11 PM   #14649
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Nah, they all head for the coast, nobody (in their right mind) wants to go to Coota
Want a bet.....they ran out of beachside places in Ulladulla and Batemans Bay years back.
Lots of ACT plates any weekend in Coota.

Old 08-09-2021, 05:37 PM   #14650
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So Scomo has stated there will not be mandatory vaccinations,yet he is allowing state Govts to use a back door way of making them mandatory.Who actually runs this country?Just this afternoon Victoria has said people returning from NSW will not be allowed to return unless they have had the jab
2 users like this post:
Old 08-09-2021, 05:39 PM   #14651
Metdevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Viral loads of vaxxed people is roughly the same as un-vaxxed. This vaccine is not very effective at all. Now the Mu variant is coming on song, and it doesn't look like it does much against it, so it's even worse. Every state in the US has had cases of the Mu variant except one. Just a matter of time before it gets here, cause our hotel quarantine leaks like a sieve.

And now the UK is considering a "firebreak" lockdown because their case numbers are getting too high.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...vid-cases-rise

Surely soon they just have to bite the bullet and just let it go, and it's survival of the fittest/natural selection? Can't keep locking down forever.

This will never end unless they can create a cure, not just a rubbish "vaccine" that just decreases your chances of getting sick, and becomes less and less effective with every new variant.
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/jmv.27247

Quote:
All sera efficiently neutralized the SARS-CoV-2 B.1.621 isolate (Figure 1C), demonstrating that this VOI is not a concern for vaccine efficacy. Indeed, neutralization of SARS-CoV-2 B.1.621 was robust, even if significantly lower than that observed on SARS-CoV-2 B.1.

Our data show that despite several mutations in Spike, SARS-CoV-2 B.1.621 is neutralized by the BNT162b2 vaccine-elicited antibodies. Moreover, they highlight the importance of properly quarantining people after travel abroad to avoid spreading newly emerging SARS-CoV-2 lineages to different countries.
TL;DR - Stop spreading misinformation and get the damn vaccine...
2 users like this post:
Old 08-09-2021, 06:16 PM   #14652
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
So Scomo has stated there will not be mandatory vaccinations,yet he is allowing state Govts to use a back door way of making them mandatory.Who actually runs this country?Just this afternoon Victoria has said people returning from NSW will not be allowed to return unless they have had the jab
Have not heard that one with vic gov saying you cannot come home unless jabbed can you give a valid reference to that?

I'm surprised all the civil liberterians are very quiet on these matters.
Old 08-09-2021, 06:37 PM   #14653
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsme View Post
Have not heard that one with vic gov saying you cannot come home unless jabbed can you give a valid reference to that?

I watched the press conference this morning and the Health Minister Martin Foley said it.

It applies to the people stuck on the NSW/Vic border on the NSW side if they wanna get back into Vic, they have to have resided in the Border Bubble for 2 weeks, which they have to prove, have at least one vaccines shot, and will be required to home quarantine when they get home. They have to apply online and the applications to return home are only open for a week this time round. It is because of staffing to follow them up to ensure they do the right thing
Old 08-09-2021, 06:41 PM   #14654
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Yeah I saw it on a press conference by the Vic health minister this afternoon
Old 08-09-2021, 06:52 PM   #14655
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO FURTHER View Post

They could easily stop referring to them by brands. those brands are just the big companies that can mass produce them anyway, they didn't invent them.
Start calling the pfizer for what it is, "comirnaty" developed by BioNtech
AZ for what it is oxford's vaxzevria

Note, they already tried rebranding AZ to vaxzevria officially, mainly because AZ doesn't like the negative publicity LOL
Old 08-09-2021, 07:12 PM   #14656
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
How many LGA's are in your northern syd count ? doesn't look right from my viewing.
I see 270 infections, not that I care whichever area they start with tbh.
No matter where someone will say otherwise.
IMO the regional areas/central coast etcetc should be first and foremost opened when ready, obviously Sydney CBD needs to open somewhere to get the ball rolling.
I looked at Northern Sydney health district. Maybe only certain LGAs in the area are being released.
Gladys lives somewhere in Northern Sydney, so yeah no surprise there.

I reckon we will see 2000 daily cases in September and 5000 a day before December.
Hope not, but I can't see it dropping any time soon.
Old 08-09-2021, 08:00 PM   #14657
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I understand some boomers aren't fans of google, but it can really be your friend sometimes Not sure how they are going to validate that last part though.

Quote:
Victoria to trial home quarantine for residents stuck on NSW border
https://www.9news.com.au/national/vi...4-faa4fd20a047

"Those Victorians will be able to apply for a permit to return home under the new exemption category, "Victorians in the cross-border community".
Applications for permits will open on Friday and remain open for seven days, closing at 6pm on September 17.

Victorians applying for a permit will need to prove a range of factors, including that their primary residence is in Victoria, a negative COVID-19 test 48 hours before their arrival, that they have received at least one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine and proof that they have remained in low-risk areas of the border bubble.

Health Minister Martin Foley explained the evidence could include QR code check-ins or receipts.

Victorians also must declare they have maintained social distancing while in NSW."

Rides (past and present)
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

Old 08-09-2021, 08:11 PM   #14658
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
So now, being REALLY cynical, what are the chances that international travel will be on offer for the double dosed after NSW hits their mark?
Well...who would have thunk?

Quote:
Australia’s overseas travel ban will be dropped as early as November
By David Crowe

https://www.theage.com.au/national/a...07-p58pma.html

A federal ban on Australians leaving the country will be dropped as soon as November under plans to end an extraordinary travel restriction and embrace a “vaccine passport” so travellers can prove they are allowed to cross international borders.

The plan could be announced within days after federal cabinet discussed the changes on Wednesday night in another step toward a travel pass linked to the Australian Immunisation Record that people can download to their phones after being fully vaccinated.

Rides (past and present)

Old 08-09-2021, 08:53 PM   #14659
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
I looked at Northern Sydney health district. Maybe only certain LGAs in the area are being released.
Gladys lives somewhere in Northern Sydney, so yeah no surprise there

Does that include the Northern Beaches I wonder, where they just recently started filming Home and Away?
Or so I was led to believe, reading crappy mags in doctors offices waiting rooms.

Cheers Billy
Old 08-09-2021, 09:12 PM   #14660
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Gladys is in Willoughby or Naremburn, from memory. That’s where the bulk of Sydney’s Armenian population seems to reside.

Still chuckling at the Ripponlea performance of “Satmar on the Roof”. It was a mule!

As to the idea of remembering what brands of other vaccines were received, I can remember the name of the girl who gave me glandular fever. Does that count?

Last edited by Citroënbender; 08-09-2021 at 09:27 PM.
Old 08-09-2021, 10:17 PM   #14661
Trevor 57
is now there

Must suck to be a Liberal supporter right now

And people went nuts about pink bats, who many lives has this decision cost?

https://www.theguardian.com/australi...aucrat-instead
Old 09-09-2021, 12:31 AM   #14662
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ummm
https://www.news.com.au/national/nsw...ddb6e38872d3d5

Quote:
Residents of the social housing estate have complained that care packages sent by friends and relatives have been searched before they are delivered.

“They are searching all bags and things coming into the building … They confiscated a series of gifts. So things like bottles of spirits, we weren’t allowed to have those and we still (aren’t),” Common Ground resident Robin Elhaj said.

2 users like this post:
Old 09-09-2021, 03:30 AM   #14663
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Must suck to be a Liberal supporter right now

And people went nuts about pink bats, who many lives has this decision cost?

https://www.theguardian.com/australi...aucrat-instead
Come on Trev… Your incessant Labor backslapping is wearing bloody thin! Put ya other eye in!
Labor (especially Andrews) ain’t been any better.. How many died in Vic with his ballsup?
We’d ALL be in a LOT better position if for a change, playing politics was taken out of the entire Covid equation…
You’d seriously think with the magnitude of this catastrophe, that parties of both persuasions would be working TOGETHER to look after people?
The media certainly don’t help either!.. Throwing stones at whoever’s going to get the biggest headlines!
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Old 09-09-2021, 07:06 AM   #14664
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Covid is certainly impacting parcel deliveries. I ordered last week with a Sydney based supplier who offered delivery in three business days, yesterday evening was an email saying the goods were ready for shipping at Brisbane Airport, then early today they were logged as “in transit” with New Zealand time-stamp.
Old 09-09-2021, 07:07 AM   #14665
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewool View Post
Come on Trev… Your incessant Labor backslapping is wearing bloody thin! Put ya other eye in!
Labor (especially Andrews) ain’t been any better.. How many died in Vic with his ballsup?
We’d ALL be in a LOT better position if for a change, playing politics was taken out of the entire Covid equation…
You’d seriously think with the magnitude of this catastrophe, that parties of both persuasions would be working TOGETHER to look after people?
The media certainly don’t help either!.. Throwing stones at whoever’s going to get the biggest headlines!
Yes a little bit of STFU Trev with the politics.

Lets be honest, any party would have balls this up, its not simple, there would be no SOP to follow etc etc.

Radio said this morning regional VIC and NSW may be free?
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
2 users like this post:
Old 09-09-2021, 07:35 AM   #14666
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewool View Post
I ain't back-slapping anyone, I am picking holes in what Governments are or are not doing in this case doing, if you can't see that, then sorry. It has obviously tricked a nerve with you

If you really want to go down the Victoria 'balls up', no probs, but first some facts:
1. Australian borders are the Federal Government responsibility, and with that comes quarantine, all State Gvmts took on the responsibility coz the Feds couldn't get anything in place quick enough - so quarantine Fed issue
2. Aged Care - Aged Care in Australia sits under Federal responsibility, same as Child Care legislation, so look to the Feds for their lack of intervention and slow response in Victoria if you want to put blame somewhere. The Vict Gvmt stepped in to save lives because it was obvious the Feds weren't

Stick with the FACTS Charlie, stick to the facts

You are quick to blame Andrews for the deaths in Victoria but you don't want to blame Hunt for walking away from Pfizer giving us millions of vaccines in July last year - be fair dinkum mate - you are the one playing politics

See, you don't want me to talk politics but you thrown Andrews and the Victoria scenario in as your reason, can't have both ways ol' mate

Last edited by Trevor 57; 09-09-2021 at 07:46 AM.
4 users like this post:
Old 09-09-2021, 07:44 AM   #14667
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
Yes a little bit of STFU Trev with the politics.

Lets be honest, any party would have balls this up, its not simple, there would be no SOP to follow etc etc.

Radio said this morning regional VIC and NSW may be free?
I am not the one who politicised this pandemic, I am just talking about it, all levesl of Government are playing the political football, I see even the Melbourne Lord Mayor has weighed in to the political game

If we are to talk about this pandemic then politics is part of it
Old 09-09-2021, 08:06 AM   #14668
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:

Good news for Gaso, you might be coming out of lockdown this week I just heard on the 7am news, along with Northern Rivers and mid North Coast.

2 users like this post:
Old 09-09-2021, 08:16 AM   #14669
falcon_bandit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I'm just grateful that there is vaccines produced and tested in short time, yeah I know people will argue it was all rushed through but imagine waiting for years of trialling and approval and in the meantime we all locked up in our Pidgeon coops not being let out!
Your being a GOOD boy 👍
Old 09-09-2021, 08:19 AM   #14670
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Trev has an interesting way of putting words into what many are thinking, and I'm sure he wouldn't be copping it if he was slamming Vic Gov Didn't hear many gov sympathisers during wave 2.

Anyway....

Just looking at this talk of reopening international travel when 80% double jab is achieved, which could be "as early as November". Going by the forecast using the 7 day average, only 1 state and 1 territory will be 80% double jabbed by then. In fact, 1 state will achieve it on the 1st Nov. Any guess who these two are? Chance? Coincidence? Good news for Yellow_Festiva!

I'm going to guess a return home quarantine will also be afforded for those who leave post the lifting of the restriction.

Rides (past and present)

2 users like this post:
Closed Thread