Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 14-09-2021, 09:51 PM   #14881
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsnake View Post
Non smokers get lung cancer, not sure what percentile, but non smoking confined space welders would be on par with non welding smokers, that's for COPD, etc.
But I just believe smokers get belted from pillar to post, not trans fat eating folk with major health issues, or sugary soft drink guzzlers, its all harmful, but that's life, but I am supposed to start chemo next Tuesday, and Monday I go in for an education seminar about my treatment, I will find out all the correlations between smokers and non smokers, if it's available!

I will post it here on AFF, but it will be biased towards the Government to justify tobacco tax, I do not trust this Government one bit, but to always blame one group is not justified considering the damage alcohol does to non smoking drinkers,

I really don't know what else to say??
That's good as we're starting to wander off topic.
Old 14-09-2021, 10:01 PM   #14882
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
That's good as we're starting to wander off topic.
That was it, I just have nothing to add!...OK......

Cheers Billy
This user likes this post:
Old 14-09-2021, 10:16 PM   #14883
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
We had a positive case in one of our Sydney sites . Person was isolated after positive test, and everyone on site that day also has been tested. Fortunately all came back negative, which is rather surprising given its an indoor factory / warehouse type environment, and a lot of common touch points on machinery. Anyway, we've been trying to contact NSW Health for further guidance, but can't even get through, as in the phone has been engaged for the past 48 hours. Crazy.

Someone here mentioned a similar experience with Vic Health, but it seems both NSW and Vic are struggling. Surely lines can be diverted to health departments in other states for assistance? It can't be THAT different from state to state regarding workplace practices?
Don't be lulled into thinking that others who tested negative will be ok, at my work it was initially 1 positive case which has grown to 3 in 8 days. 24 members still half way through 14 day quarantine period and we are praying it does not spread among them which means there could be more possible undetected infections.
It took Vic DHHS about 5 days to respond to our company requests for guidance and answers which is now an ongoing consultation.

Cheers
3 users like this post:
Old 14-09-2021, 10:44 PM   #14884
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsme View Post
.. 24 members still half way through 14 day quarantine period and we are praying it does not spread among them which means there could be more possible undetected infections.

Cheers
Mehh...might as well just suck it up, its headed your way.

(It's the red triangle with exclamation mark on the left)
Old 14-09-2021, 10:56 PM   #14885
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
I’ve got to say, hayfever and a face mask do not play well together.
Meant to respond to this one earlier, but got sidetracked.

I've found that my hay-fever has not been quite as bad this year. Whilst there could be many factors influencing that, I wonder if wearing a mask whilst outside walking has reduced my exposure to the airborne pollens?

Might have to continue wearing a mask during future spring months!

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
4 users like this post:
Old 14-09-2021, 11:17 PM   #14886
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I’ve been more physically active than the last year. Plus in and out of old roof cavities beating on stuff, so the allergen sources are right up there. The mask pushes moustache hairs up my nose as well. I try to minimise use of antihistamines as they all seem to affect perception and reaction times for me - but needing to have business conversations with people I don’t know, it’s not a good look to be a bucket of dribbling snot.

Great to hear others aren’t having it so bad.
4 users like this post:
Old 14-09-2021, 11:46 PM   #14887
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
Most likely it will or I might have had it already without knowing it since I'm living in a hot spot area but you should realise it will eventually come your way to Tassie; make sure you are vaccinated while you got time.
Old 15-09-2021, 09:35 AM   #14888
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
I always wondered if you were real or maybe a computer virus...
But your real, just goes to show that it takes " bipeds " of all kinds to make this world turn!....

That's a compliment by the way, enjoy it while it's at the top of the thread!

Cheers Billy
Old 15-09-2021, 10:39 AM   #14889
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Saw this opinion article today and thought it did a pretty good job of summarising recent discussions in this thread about opening our country back up and the challenges associated with the options available.

Some of the data that is presented in here would need some validation, as I'm not sure of the accuracy of some of it, but nevertheless it seems pretty balanced to me.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-09-...down/100461128

This heading sums it up for me: No option is particularly good

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

3 users like this post:
Old 15-09-2021, 11:10 AM   #14890
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
Hi Russ,

Can you please explain the change from yesterday to today's trendline insofar as yesterday's trendline was "barricade the bunker door":

As opposed to today's trend, "Plague? What plague?":

TIA.
I see Russ hasn't had the opportunity to respond to your post, FGS, so I hope both you and he don't mind if I offer my opinion, based on my experience with using excel to do data analysis.

The trend line you're seeing is based upon the full data set, so the second chart (yesterday's trend) shows an extra day of data, which is continuing to decrease in magnitude. Therefore the trend line is going to predict what is happening based upon that continuing trend.

Also note that the two trends are also based on different level order polynomials; the trend line from Monday is based on a third order polynomial and yesterday's a fourth order. My take on that is the 3rd order doesn't as easily allow for a peak and decrease in the data as well as a fourth order. We can clearly see that the actual data is starting to flatten out the curve; I'd hazard a guess that the third order polynomial will continue to rise based on that revised data set as opposed to the 4th order which will cater for the easing of numbers.

I suspect Russ has moved to a 4th order poly to better 'fit' the trendline to the actual data. Remember the prediction of the trendline is limited to the capability of the equation used to best fit the actual data.

This page here provides you an idea as to what level capabilities each order poly has in best modelling the actual data set.

Hope that makes some sense?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

5 users like this post:
Old 15-09-2021, 11:26 AM   #14891
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post
If I had my way I would ban the ****er from my house, but it is my wife's business and she has to follow the directions of her bosses.
Ummm, no? How can they have any say over who you bring into your own home?
Old 15-09-2021, 11:40 AM   #14892
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post
Also note that the two trends are also based on different level order polynomials; the trend line from Monday is based on a third order polynomial and yesterday's a fourth order. My take on that is the 3rd order doesn't as easily allow for a peak and decrease in the data as well as a fourth order. We can clearly see that the actual data is starting to flatten out the curve; I'd hazard a guess that the third order polynomial will continue to rise based on that revised data set as opposed to the 4th order which will cater for the easing of numbers.

I suspect Russ has moved to a 4th order poly to better 'fit' the trendline to the actual data. Remember the prediction of the trendline is limited to the capability of the equation used to best fit the actual data.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS
Hi Russ,

Can you please explain the change from yesterday to today's trendline insofar as yesterday's trendline was "barricade the bunker door":

As opposed to today's trend, "Plague? What plague?":

TIA.
Sorry I missed the question. Yes, the difference as explained by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is the shift from 3rd to 4th order polynomials in NSW to reflect the start of a downward trend. Victoria is still on 3rd order and wouldn't change much even if I selected 4th,

The reason to change is that a polynomial trend works best with 'spiky' trends or where there are clearly defined 'shift's in the pattern - thus, as there is no such thing as first order, a pattern with one shift is 2nd order, 2 shifts is 3rd order etc. etc. NSW now has it's 3rd shift which is why the change to 4th order because the 3rd order trend would continue to rise even though the raw data isn't.

Here is NSW from yesterday using 3rd and 4th order polynomial trends:

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 15-09-2021, 12:13 PM   #14893
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
Ummm, no? How can they have any say over who you bring into your own home?
part of the contract under which she does business - she does have the option of banning him and that option depends on how he behaves next time and that will determine what happens next
Old 15-09-2021, 12:24 PM   #14894
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
Sorry I missed the question. Yes, the difference as explained by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is the shift from 3rd to 4th order polynomials in NSW to reflect the start of a downward trend. Victoria is still on 3rd order and wouldn't change much even if I selected 4th,

The reason to change is that a polynomial trend works best with 'spiky' trends or where there are clearly defined 'shift's in the pattern - thus, as there is no such thing as first order, a pattern with one shift is 2nd order, 2 shifts is 3rd order etc. etc. NSW now has it's 3rd shift which is why the change to 4th order because the 3rd order trend would continue to rise even though the raw data isn't.

Here is NSW from yesterday using 3rd and 4th order polynomial trends:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
I see Russ hasn't had the opportunity to respond to your post, FGS, so I hope both you and he don't mind if I offer my opinion, based on my experience with using excel to do data analysis.

The trend line you're seeing is based upon the full data set, so the second chart (yesterday's trend) shows an extra day of data, which is continuing to decrease in magnitude. Therefore the trend line is going to predict what is happening based upon that continuing trend.

This page here provides you an idea as to what level capabilities each order poly has in best modelling the actual data set.

Hope that makes some sense?
Many thanks both. I guess I was working on the assumption that the trend was predictive and didn't need a shift of gear to the next phase but I understand better now.
3 users like this post:
Old 15-09-2021, 12:42 PM   #14895
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Curfew is now lifted for NSW LGAs of concern. This is a great improvement.

On a personal level, it looks like my elderly cousin may soon die in Greater Melbourne. I’m a bit over these Covid-safe funerals, whether streamed or IRL. In another time we would have buried him at sea.

Also good to see: An article on the ABC discussing the reality that achieving 80%x2 Covid vaccination of eligible people, isn’t the simple, meander-down-the-road exercise of incremental gains, the government seemed to be implying.

Last edited by Citroënbender; 15-09-2021 at 12:55 PM.
3 users like this post:
Old 15-09-2021, 01:11 PM   #14896
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah not a good idea to use Covid as a sickie excuse. I'm assuming they asked for test results and that's where it came undone

https://www.news.com.au/national/jam...d9263315d7caf5
2 users like this post:
Old 15-09-2021, 01:33 PM   #14897
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Heads-up for anyone in Ballarat:

The ABC understands the city of greater Ballarat will enter lockdown tonight
It's due to an increase in COVID cases, senior state government sources have told the ABC.

Daniel Andrews will hold a press conference shortly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 15-09-2021, 01:49 PM   #14898
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Won’t Jack91 be thrilled.
2 users like this post:
Old 15-09-2021, 01:55 PM   #14899
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
Heads-up for anyone in Ballarat:

The ABC understands the city of greater Ballarat will enter lockdown tonight
It's due to an increase in COVID cases, senior state government sources have told the ABC.

Daniel Andrews will hold a press conference shortly.
Family-in-law booked at the Chinese in Beechworth last night for 18th celebration.

Got the call booking cancelled, restaurant closed for deep cleaning.

Apparently a positive delivery driver had been through.
Old 15-09-2021, 02:07 PM   #14900
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Data valid as at 00:00 GMT September 14th 2021.

Note
: As not all Australian States report at the same time, the data below is based on the previous full day reporting.

1,587 new cases for Australia and 4 deaths so the CMR is 1.432%.

17 new cases and no deaths for NZ so CMR is 0.681%.

The UK had a lower 26,251 cases yesterday and higher 185 deaths for a CMR of 1.850%.

A lower 141,970 new cases in the USA yesterday and higher 1,477 deaths sees CMR at 1.614%.

Other notable points:
Europe passes 57M cases;
Asia passes 73M cases;

New Caledonia (327);
Bermuda (412);
Suriname (649); and
Nicaragua (675);

... recorded new highs; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive day.

Greece and Georgia move above the 90th percentile for the 10 day period while Venezuela and Cabo Verde drop below.

Observatio Facta Rotae

2 users like this post:
Old 15-09-2021, 02:08 PM   #14901
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

And some good news for you, Trev:

But the government has announced the lockdown in Shepparton will be lifted from tonight after three days of no new cases.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2 users like this post:
Old 15-09-2021, 02:09 PM   #14902
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

NSW/VIC

NSW records 1,261 cases in the current period and the 10-day average growth rate increases to 0.9910 (from 0.9769) while the actual line remains below the predictive trend line and based on the 4th order polynomial, that trend line now has a downward curve.

VIC records 423 cases in the current period and the 10-day average growth rate increases slightly to 1.1123 (from 1.1135) while the actual line is back below the predictive trend line.

Observatio Facta Rotae

4 users like this post:
Old 15-09-2021, 02:31 PM   #14903
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Anyone else finding the myriad of businesses and organisations openly supporting the covid vaccination program as a "way to get back to a normal life" a little grating, especially when, in all likelihood, all those businesses and organisations really care about is they stand to make more money once people are back out doing things (and spending their money) as they normally would?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

3 users like this post:
Old 15-09-2021, 02:42 PM   #14904
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Anyone else finding the myriad of businesses and organisations openly supporting the covid vaccination program as a "way to get back to a normal life" a little grating, especially when, in all likelihood, all those businesses and organisations really care about is they stand to make more money once people are back out doing things (and spending their money) as they normally would?
Such is the circle of capitalism life my friend.

I think any additional focus on getting things up and running can only help..everyone is over it.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
2 users like this post:
Old 15-09-2021, 03:08 PM   #14905
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
Such is the circle of capitalism life my friend.

I think any additional focus on getting things up and running can only help..everyone is over it.
No, not everyone. But I agree that the number who are over it is growing all the time.

I do wonder though, how 'over it' people will be when we open up again, hospitals fill with cases, reducing capacity for other medical services and reducing the number of medical staff available, and things like elective surgeries are impacted. When someone wants to see a doctor or get some medical advice for something that is annoying them or impacting upon their quality of life, and they can't that appointment for months, will they be over that too?

And that's without even taking into account the number of people who will pass away from the disease and the circle of influence on relatives and friends.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2 users like this post:
Old 15-09-2021, 03:25 PM   #14906
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Pure self interest. But I don't blame them though, these lockdowns have completely screwed them.

How long will it take for them to rail against the potential vaccine passport to gain entry, when business doesn't return to pre-covid levels cause groups no longer want to have group bookings cause 1 or 2 aren't vaxxed. Not to mention the people who no longer want to go out in crowded areas due to covid. I don't see business returning to pre-covid levels for quite a while.

They will soon change their tune when it hurts their hip pocket.

That's where the rapid testing needs to come in, so people aren't being discriminated against if they aren't/can't be vaxxed.

It's kind of ironic that a double vaxxed person who might have covid, and doesn't know, is ok to enter a venue, but an un-vaxxed person who is covid free isn't.
4 users like this post:
Old 15-09-2021, 03:28 PM   #14907
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Quote:
Saw this opinion article today and thought it did a pretty good job of summarising recent discussions in this thread about opening our country back up and the challenges associated with the options available.

Some of the data that is presented in here would need some validation, as I'm not sure of the accuracy of some of it, but nevertheless it seems pretty balanced to me.

The underlying data looks good to me as a lot of what they reference comes form the excellent report from the AIHW.

The highlight for me:

The Grattan Institute has suggested lifting lockdowns only when 80 per cent of the entire population has been double vaccinated (not 70-80 per cent of people aged 16+ as the NSW and national plans envisage, which amounts to 56-64 per cent of the population).
Grattan believes its plan would cost 2,000-3,000 lives per year; a cost it believes the public would accept.

I've been saying that for awhile and their 2-3k number aligns pretty much with what we'd see if we could mirror the Israeli experience where my models show about 2,868 deaths in the first year.

At the UK level (90% of 16+ but only 66.67% of whole population) it wouldn't be sustainable as I said yesterday, with my model showing something like 13k deaths in the first year.

The message is simple from my POV. Open too early and accept the high case and mortality numbers or wait until vaccination levels are higher although I don't see that we could ever reach 80% of whole population when we have some 4M (or 15%) of the population under 12 years of age so that would mean that only 5% of the 12+ age group would be able to not get vaccinated.

Observatio Facta Rotae

4 users like this post:
Old 15-09-2021, 03:30 PM   #14908
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

Quote:
No, not everyone. But I agree that the number who are over it is growing all the time.

I do wonder though, how 'over it' people will be when we open up again, hospitals fill with cases, reducing capacity for other medical services and reducing the number of medical staff available, and things like elective surgeries are impacted. When someone wants to see a doctor or get some medical advice for something that is annoying them or impacting upon their quality of life, and they can't that appointment for months, will they be over that too?

And that's without even taking into account the number of people who will pass away from the disease and the circle of influence on relatives and friends.
Do you suppose we stay locked down for the next couple of years?
Old 15-09-2021, 03:33 PM   #14909
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:

We aren't going to eliminate it, that ship has sailed. If anything it's going to spread more once the borders open up. It's inevitable. We can't stop it. Even if we had 100% vaccination rates. People still get it and spread it, and some people will still get sick and die from it. We just have to live with it now, it's never going away. Not unless they can find a proper cure.
5 users like this post:
Old 15-09-2021, 04:00 PM   #14910
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post
part of the contract under which she does business - she does have the option of banning him and that option depends on how he behaves next time and that will determine what happens next
With covid I would not be allowing anyone in my house, quite sure Vic DHHS guidelines regarding Covid would make that part of the contract non binding under these conditions.
My daughter is a youth care worker and since covid her working conditions has changed dramatically with regards to client contact.
Closed Thread