Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-12-2018, 08:53 PM   #1
bathurst77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default whither the luxurious car?

Now that Fairlanes/ltd and caprice or calais are gone, what real luxury car is left outside $silly
Im an old bugger, I want a pillow soft suburban cruiser. Power Everything and silly trinkets.

I dont want a sports car i dont want a car that looks like its built for bathurst, I dont want to win traffic light gp or "carve canyon corners"
Nor do I want a car that will take me to cape york or birdsville. I dont want an suv. I want a CAR 4 doors hatch or wagon

I want seats you disappear in, suspension so compliant i wont notice the potholes and cracks in sydney roads, even if that means wallowing on corners. I want to be coddled and spoiled every time i get in.

The euro cars like bmw volvo and merc are mostly tuned for sport and hard suspension and you pay for the badge.. They can lack some of the bells whistles and trinkets on a hyundai!

Once upon a time I would have bought a fairmont ghia or ltd i6 auto or 302 or chrysler by chrysler.
bathurst77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-12-2018, 08:57 PM   #2
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Default Re: whither the luxurious car?

Hyundai Genesis?
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 12-12-2018, 09:05 PM   #3
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Jaguar XJ https://www.jaguar.com.au/jaguar-range/xj/index.html ? Chrysler 300C https://www.chrysler.com.au/
Old 12-12-2018, 09:18 PM   #4
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

and if price is no object there is always various Rolls Royce and Bentley models. OK they are silly $. So how about Lexus CT200H Luxury at around $41,000 (described by wheels Magazine as "Valium on Wheels" so should meet your specs).

Last edited by aussiblue; 12-12-2018 at 09:28 PM.
aussiblue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2018, 09:31 PM   #5
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

You can still get the ZB in Calais guise.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 12-12-2018, 09:59 PM   #6
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathurst77 View Post
Now that Fairlanes/ltd and caprice or calais are gone, what real luxury car is left outside $silly
Im an old bugger, I want a pillow soft suburban cruiser. Power Everything and silly trinkets.

I dont want a sports car i dont want a car that looks like its built for bathurst, I dont want to win traffic light gp or "carve canyon corners"
Nor do I want a car that will take me to cape york or birdsville. I dont want an suv. I want a CAR 4 doors hatch or wagon

I want seats you disappear in, suspension so compliant i wont notice the potholes and cracks in sydney roads, even if that means wallowing on corners. I want to be coddled and spoiled every time i get in.

The euro cars like bmw volvo and merc are mostly tuned for sport and hard suspension and you pay for the badge.. They can lack some of the bells whistles and trinkets on a hyundai!

Once upon a time I would have bought a fairmont ghia or ltd i6 auto or 302 or chrysler by chrysler.
Lexus ES.

Available with a powerful V6 and has a focus on refinement and comfort as apposed to be a "sports sedan".
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-12-2018, 10:12 PM   #7
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ford Mondeo Titanium.

Like you, I'm not interested in performance cars. I don't care how fast the car gets off the line or whether it has a V8, I want a comfortable cruiser with all the bells and whistles. To me, the Mondeo fits that bill better than any Falcon ever did. With the adaptive suspension set to 'Comfort' mode, it's the smoothest, most refined cruiser Ford currently offers.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-12-2018, 11:53 PM   #8
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bentley V12 would do it for me!
Old 13-12-2018, 12:47 AM   #9
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTF6 View Post
imageimage

Bentley V12 would do it for me!
Arent they a w12? One of my mums neighbours traded his for a 4 door continental.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 13-12-2018, 12:53 AM   #10
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
Arent they a w12? One of my mums neighbours traded his for a 4 door continental.
Yeah, they are W12. Fantastic car, I'd buy one if I could afford it. But I'd only buy new.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2018, 02:08 AM   #11
g650

2nd the Mondeo, old man had one for a hire, swore it was the best car he'd driven for speed bumps and QLD roads.

And if the current gen Chrysler 300 is anything like the last gen, any non-SRT model should compromise handling for a good ride. In a way they're like a Ghia, roomy, leather/woodgrain, analog clock...
g650 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2018, 03:27 AM   #12
JG33

Quote:

I could kill for a new V8 Fairmont Ghia, but I got the next best thing and that's a FGX G6E.
Not sure what I will get next when the plastic starts falling off on this one in a few years time.
JG33 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2018, 10:10 AM   #13
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default whither the luxurious car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post

Yep sorry W12, my mistake. A weird cylinder configuration.

Last edited by NTF6; 13-12-2018 at 10:16 AM.
NTF6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2018, 11:50 AM   #14
bathurst77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Rolls royce and bentley definitely fit in the "$ Silly" range.. and those ultra low profile licorice strap tyres on the black bentley 2 door look like they could waft over potholes without a thud. Too boy racer... very rich boy racer.

Had a mondeo MA (or was it MB) when they first came out.. didnt care for it much.
I like the call on the Genesis. OR maybe privately import a JDM car like a crown. OR go silly and get some 60s/70s yankie land yacht. A bordello on wheels.
bathurst77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2018, 12:17 PM   #15
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

If Ford were smart

They would introduce the Lincoln brand to Australia as the luxury/premium alternative and stop trying to tell us (and price as if) the Ford brand is a premium product.

That blue oval FORD badge just doesn't have (and never will IMHO) that credibility in this country.

Example of a Lincoln that fits your description;
https://www.lincoln.com/luxury-cars/continental/

3 users like this post:
Old 13-12-2018, 12:51 PM   #16
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
If Ford were smart

They would introduce the Lincoln brand to Australia as the luxury/premium alternative and stop trying to tell us (and price as if) the Ford brand is a premium product.

That blue oval FORD badge just doesn't have (and never will IMHO) that credibility in this country.

Example of a Lincoln that fits your description;
https://www.lincoln.com/luxury-cars/continental/

You realise the Conti is just a LWB Mondeo don't you? Same extended wheelbase as the Chinese Taurus. But in saying that the Taurus would have been perfect for what the OP wants. The new one is ridiculously well equipped and set up for ride comfort above handling. Very long wheelbases provide a better ride, and the Taurus has a very long wheelbase.

How much does the OP want to spend. I'd suggest an E Class Merc if he wants ride and luxury equipment. The lower models in the range are like 80k ish? Equipment levels even on the base models is pretty good.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2018, 01:18 PM   #17
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

OP need to move to an SUV. plenty out there nicer & softer inside than any fairlane or statesman.
other than that that Genesis looks the goods
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2018, 01:31 PM   #18
Fairlane 500
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Sadly there is no sedan on the market to replace our Aussie luxurious cars for anywhere near the price
especially if you want a V8 RWD with 2,300kg towing capacity.

I have a V8 BA Fairlane with injected LPG as a daily, cruiser, tow car & I am going to just keep on driving it as long as I can.

(It's not my only or best car but I just really enjoy driving it as a daily, I have 2 other cars.)

It's got everything I want in a car & I can't imagine it dropping in value if I look after it.

It's a lot like me, getting a bit old, bit overweight, still going strong, little bit thin on top & very old school Australian.
Fairlane 500 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-12-2018, 01:48 PM   #19
johntolhurst

Its amazing what high profile tires and low pressures do for the softness of the ride. The term 'waftability' has currency in the states. Would seem to capture the requirement.
Old 13-12-2018, 01:54 PM   #20
Itsme
Experienced Member

Kia GT Stinger will do me nicely.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2018, 01:55 PM   #21
vbvbvb088
vbvbvb088

A white 1980 WB Statesman Caprice with red interior will do nicely thankyou.
vbvbvb088 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 13-12-2018, 02:29 PM   #22
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

maybe its time that older modern classics will become cool, like a VN caprice or DC LTD, lazy v8 with plush velour trim and squishy coils
they are simple enough to keep on the road with 400,000km's and you would be the coolest cat at the RSL and they had enough simple electric devices to be cool still

i have my eye on a white VN calais parked up in a backyard, i think that would make a nice cruiser one day
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2018, 02:57 PM   #23
xrystl

Quote:
Rolls royce and bentley definitely fit in the "$ Silly" range.. and those ultra low profile licorice strap tyres on the black bentley 2 door look like they could waft over potholes without a thud. Too boy racer... very rich boy racer.

Had a mondeo MA (or was it MB) when they first came out.. didnt care for it much.
I like the call on the Genesis. OR maybe privately import a JDM car like a crown. OR go silly and get some 60s/70s yankie land yacht. A bordello on wheels.
or perhaps a late eighties Rolls Silver Spirit or equivalent Bentley , generally low mileage and little old man or lady owner , I looked at a 1990 Roller silver spur with only 55k km on the clock , one owner in immaculate condition with FSH and negotiable at $35k , my sister was interested but she bought a 1991 Merc 560SEL for $25k , was one family owned and chauffeur driven all its life . some good buys out there if prepared to buy a bit older..
xrystl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2018, 03:01 PM   #24
Fairlane 500
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrystl View Post
or perhaps a late eighties Rolls Silver Spirit or equivalent Bentley , generally low mileage and little old man or lady owner , I looked at a 1990 Roller silver spur with only 55k km on the clock , one owner in immaculate condition with FSH and negotiable at $35k , my sister was interested but she bought a 1991 Merc 560SEL for $25k , was one family owned and chauffeur driven all its life . some good buys out there if prepared to buy a bit older..
Sadly the cost of maintenance & reliability kills off those, especially concerning the older Rolls Royce in my opinion for daily duties.
Old 13-12-2018, 03:22 PM   #25
xrystl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairlane 5OO View Post
Sadly the cost of maintenance & reliability kills off those, especially concerning the older Rolls Royce in my opinion for daily duties.
Always thought that if someone with some mechanical knowledge bought a Roller , they would know if there was a problem developing rather than just driving it till it doesn't work anymore , so that way the vehicle would be more reliable in the right hands.
If I was looking for a sedan type vehicle I would probably go for the VW Arteon as it ticks all the boxes and comes in at a sensible price.
Old 13-12-2018, 03:33 PM   #26
Fairlane 500
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Always thought that if someone with some mechanical knowledge bought a Roller , they would know if there was a problem developing rather than just driving it till it doesn't work anymore , so that way the vehicle would be more reliable in the right hands.
If I was looking for a sedan type vehicle I would probably go for the VW Arteon as it ticks all the boxes and comes in at a sensible price.
I have been in the trade since 1975, owned a 1977 Rolls Royce Silver Shadow back in the late 1980's for a while,
I had quite a few things go wrong with it & I have never driven another standard car that uses so much petrol
including a Mercedes Benz 450SEL 6.9 litre that I owned a couple of years later.

Mercedes are more reliable & cheaper to buy parts.

I like Rolls Royce to drive but not to own & maintain.
Old 13-12-2018, 03:59 PM   #27
Peter B - CV8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiji View Post
I saw an immaculate vn model statesman with the big 5.0 efi v8 badge on the side. It was white and looked mint, an old lady parked it and was walking to the rsl.

I was just about going to go make her an offer for it. Looked brand new
No such thing as a VN statesman. I think you might have meant a VQ ??? They were a nice car - very comfortable & not too bad on fuel. Were let down a bit by the poor plastics/styling around the rear wheel arches though IMHO...
Peter B - CV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2018, 04:08 PM   #28
Fairlane 500
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B - CV8 View Post
No such thing as a VN statesman. I think you might have meant a VQ ??? They were a nice car - very comfortable & not too bad on fuel. Were let down a bit by the poor plastics/styling around the rear wheel arches though IMHO...

Yes the old VQ's (especially the series II) were a comfortable thing & as you say they were not at all bad on fuel.

The VQ was one of the first Australian cars to come out with IRS, the Fords still had solid rear axles.
Old 13-12-2018, 04:14 PM   #29
xrystl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairlane 5OO View Post
I have been in the trade since 1975, owned a 1977 Rolls Royce Silver Shadow back in the late 1980's for a while,
I had quite a few things go wrong with it & I have never driven another standard car that uses so much petrol
including a Mercedes Benz 450SEL 6.9 litre that I owned a couple of years later.

Mercedes are more reliable & cheaper to buy parts.

I like Rolls Royce to drive but not to own & maintain.
Yes they were gas guzzlers , I had a 420 SE Merc back in the mid nineties and that used to use 20+ litres a 100km around the Gold Coast hinterland and it was half that on the freeway , reliability was quite good but parts were expensive if bought through a dealer , was nice to drive .
Old 13-12-2018, 04:23 PM   #30
Fairlane 500
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yes they were gas guzzlers , I had a 420 SE Merc back in the mid nineties and that used to use 20+ litres a 100km around the Gold Coast hinterland and it was half that on the freeway , reliability was quite good but parts were expensive if bought through a dealer , was nice to drive .
Yeah, the W126's were a beautiful car to drive & very reliable,
if you have the time to wait the parts can be bought quite reasonably most of the time on the net these days.