Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Cougar and Probe

Old 03-11-2010, 01:03 PM   #1
KingRat
Starter Motor

Default Cougar electrical problems?

Hi Folks,

Any of you experienced any electrical issues with your cougars? I have had something really bizzare happening for the past couple of days. Randomly the car would just 'die'. It has turned off on me while driving. No ignition, no lights, no life at all, cannot even turn on the hazzard lights... you can turn the key and if will act as if the battery wasnt even there. And if you keep trying it for a few seconds, switching it off and trying to turn the ignition, you will see some lights randomly blinking, a clicking noise, click flickering... and it will then suddenly come back to life, all the dashboard speedo and rpm dials will do the full circle and go all the way to the max and back, and then the car is back to normal. And all your trip computer and clock and stereo settings get reset. Its as if the car electronics do a reboot.

Potentially very dangerous if this happens on a busy freeway because the car just dies and steering gets locked and there are no hazard lights or anything. It is quite random so doesnt do it all the time. But can happen anytime. So I am a bit worried driving it now and want to get it checked ASAP. Have done a couple of trips to the supermarket without any issues but reluctant to take it out for a proper drive till I get this fixed.

Has anyone encountered this before? Where should I take it to get it checked? Anyone know a good place or do I have to take it to Ford? I am based in Melbourne near the Preston area.

KingRat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2010, 04:20 PM   #2
REDDYZ

I think its bad earth or bad battery. Definitely loose or broken wire somewhere. Check the terminals for loose contact or corrosion. If you can, try tracing main battery terminals to earth and starter motor and see if the wiring is good. It cant be a short. If it is short circuit of this extent you will end up with lot of blown fuses and fusible links. Get it checked with a good auto electrician.
Ex Cougar - 00' MTX 2.5L (Limited edition Eibach Cougar); Dark Green Tourmaline; Lowered with Eibach tuned suspension from factory; SVT UIM, LIM & Throttle body; Supercat 2.5" dual exhaust with twin pipe quad outlets; Custom headers; Custom coloured instrument cluster; K&N Apollo CAI kit; Calibre oil catch can.

Now driving a Lexus RX 450h. Your guess is correct that I am a family man now.
REDDYZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2010, 04:34 PM   #3
KingRat
Starter Motor

Thanks for your reply Yogi. I did check the battery and there is a bit of corrosion but both terminals still seem to be held nice and tight so kinda ruled out the batter but I could be wrong... I didnt check very closely.

Anyone know a good auto electrician?
KingRat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2010, 11:33 PM   #4
pcperfection
Cougar

Try checking the Alternator, or coil

Cheers
Mark
Old 26-11-2010, 06:01 PM   #5
REDDYZ

Came across similar problem on a BA Falcon wagon and turned out to be a bad battery. Car dies all of sudden, no power and nothing. After few ignition on/off cycles, car powers up and everything looks normal again. Replaced battery and all good now. If the battery in your kat is old enough to replace its good idea to do that and see if that helps.
Ex Cougar - 00' MTX 2.5L (Limited edition Eibach Cougar); Dark Green Tourmaline; Lowered with Eibach tuned suspension from factory; SVT UIM, LIM & Throttle body; Supercat 2.5" dual exhaust with twin pipe quad outlets; Custom headers; Custom coloured instrument cluster; K&N Apollo CAI kit; Calibre oil catch can.

Now driving a Lexus RX 450h. Your guess is correct that I am a family man now.
REDDYZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post