Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Cougar and Probe

Old 30-10-2010, 03:31 PM   #1
REDDYZ

Default Miles and Mileages

After almost 6 weeks I took my kat out and went on a long drive to Helensburg from Canberra which is over 500kms up and down. It took only 60% of the tank and fuel consumption on the cluster shows 7.9L/100Km. After I drove it from Melbourne to Canberra, I didn't used it at all until today. I can go to Sydney from Canberra and come back with more than 1/4 tank of fuel left in the car.

Mine is 5 Speed manual and as long as I keep rpm under 3200rpm no dramas. Just wondering, with 4 speed automatic kitties, what is the engine rpm when doing 110km/hr?

Also, share your kat's best and worst fuel consumption figures.

Ex Cougar - 00' MTX 2.5L (Limited edition Eibach Cougar); Dark Green Tourmaline; Lowered with Eibach tuned suspension from factory; SVT UIM, LIM & Throttle body; Supercat 2.5" dual exhaust with twin pipe quad outlets; Custom headers; Custom coloured instrument cluster; K&N Apollo CAI kit; Calibre oil catch can.

Now driving a Lexus RX 450h. Your guess is correct that I am a family man now.
REDDYZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2010, 05:45 PM   #2
cougs61
Old but not slow

At 110km/h my auto sits on 2400rmp.

With a 250klm drive and running around town the car averaged 9.7L/100Km (or for us oldies, 29.5mpg) on the last fill up.

Hopefully after getting a tune next week and changing the exhaust a bit, it might get better?
Old 30-10-2010, 11:44 PM   #3
REDDYZ

Interesting.. I thought Auto are 4 speed and engine rpm would be higher in top gear when compared with 5 speed manual. In that case Autos should be more economical than manuals. Has anyone got manual kitty? If so, at 110km/h how much is the engine rpm?

Yes, Exhaust mod will gain more fuel economy and horse power. Also, check spark plugs and leads too. Unlike other V6 engines, its very easy to change spark plugs on Cougars. Dont need to remove manifold or anything complicated. Just plastic cover at front and thats it. Rear ones can be accessed with a universal joint.
Ex Cougar - 00' MTX 2.5L (Limited edition Eibach Cougar); Dark Green Tourmaline; Lowered with Eibach tuned suspension from factory; SVT UIM, LIM & Throttle body; Supercat 2.5" dual exhaust with twin pipe quad outlets; Custom headers; Custom coloured instrument cluster; K&N Apollo CAI kit; Calibre oil catch can.

Old 31-10-2010, 10:09 AM   #4
baz

I've got a 2001 5 speed manual and i get the same as you on highway 7.9L/100, and it sits around 3000rpm.
baz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2010, 10:33 AM   #5
cougs61
Old but not slow

Autos are 4 speed but top gear is an overdrive, which can be turned off if needed.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:25 AM   #6
REDDYZ

Am thinking to switch to Shell V Power. This fuel is tested on 2000 model 4 cyl Mondeos and is perfect. Normally I don't use high octane fuel in an engine designed for normal unleaded. Let's see how it goes.