Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Cougar and Probe

Old 09-03-2010, 08:05 PM   #1
Ford62
Starter Motor

Default Headers 1995 Probe

I'm considering fitting headers/extractors to my '95 Probe.
Has anyone fitted a set of these, if so what were the pitfalls regarding access especially the rear bank manifold?
Are the ones on ebay any good?, as there are no Australian produced one available.
Or the other option, bite the bullet & have custom ones made.

Any advice will be welcome.

Ford62 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2010, 09:31 PM   #2
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford62
I'm considering fitting headers/extractors to my '95 Probe.
Has anyone fitted a set of these, if so what were the pitfalls regarding access especially the rear bank manifold?
Are the ones on ebay any good?, as there are no Australian produced one available.
Or the other option, bite the bullet & have custom ones made.

Any advice will be welcome.
I'd imagine that because the Probe sold in the 1,000s and not 10,000s that there would be no Aussie products available off the shelf. Ebay might be the go.

Not sure of the fitment issues but i'd imagine the rear bank is semi-difficult at the least.

Design wise (primary/secondary diameters etc) as long as they are similar to something that works well on a 2.5L V6 Mazda ie MX6 626 V6 then it should work on yours too. Great sounding motor when revved!

Good luck and enjoy!

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2010, 10:09 AM   #3
thearrow

You should contact the following company in the USA. This is what I did for my exhaust and they shipped it out to me no problems. These people are considered the best after market exhaust supplier by a lot of Cougar owners in the USA and are highly recommended.

http://www.trubendz.com/home.asp?producttype=exhaust

My exhaust whent straight on no problems.
thearrow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2010, 09:49 PM   #4
Ford62
Starter Motor

Thanks for the info, I have checked out their site but only appear to supply exhaust sections, not headers for 93-97 Probe. I already have done the exhaust 2.25" with stainless steel high flow cat & muffler, sounds great too! Now looking to upgrade the next bit the headers.

Just for the record there were a total of 3003 Probes sold in Australia '94-'98. Info courtsey of Ford Australia. Other than colour choice the only option was auto or manual transmission.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:47 AM   #5
thearrow

You are right Trubendz do not supply headers however suggest you try here and see if they can make them for you. It doesn't look like they have them in stock but they might be able make them up for you.

http://www.msdsinc.com/new_H0810.htm

This is the company also highly recommended by by Cougar owners in the USA.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:35 AM   #6
dannyxm
was danny888

I think the Probe shares the same platform / engine as the Mazda MX6.

Perhaps you should have a look if there are headers for the Mazda and see if it fits.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:05 AM   #7
thearrow

Actually Probes, Mondeos & Cougars all share the same platform so it wouldn't surprise me at all if MSDS could provide the headers you are seeking.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:16 PM   #8
Ford62
Starter Motor

These are looking closer to the mark, thanks for the contact. I'll have to look into it a bit more but seems ike the way to go. It would be ideal to buy something off the shelf and have if fit correctly, just a bit wary about this type of item without having info from someone who has actually installed them. That can give first hand advice on any problems they encountered. The installation isn't the problem it's only nuts, bolts & gaskets, it's knowing the item will fit first time. I've fitted exhaust systems brfore, but always on Aussie made cars with Aussie made extractors.
Thanks for all the input.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:22 PM   #9
Ford62
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny351
I think the Probe shares the same platform / engine as the Mazda MX6.

Perhaps you should have a look if there are headers for the Mazda and see if it fits.
The only drama there is that aftermarket bits for the MX6 are about as common as they are for the Probe. Have checked out that avenue.... you guessed it... came up zilch.
Old 19-03-2010, 09:07 PM   #10
DRU842
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Been away sorry; the numbers from Ford Australia for the Probe were even lower; we (AUSPOC) were given 2010 at the 75th Anniversary celebrations; sunroof & spoilers were optional at various times. There have been instances of the RHD configuration fouling some imported headers but these were mainly in the early days.
The Probe certainly shares a platform with the Telstar, Mazda 626 & MX6; so most mechanical parts for the V6 are interchangeable; I was pretty sure the Mondeo / Cougar was a separate platform.
2017 Mustang Lightening Blue, Cobb Intercooler, CAI, AccessPort, Turbo Blanket & V2 Exhaust, Mishimoto Down-Pipe & Overflow Tank, GFB DV+, Custom CRD Tune. Ford Performance Short Throw Shifter & Strut Brace. DBA T3 Brakes & Pads. Braided Brake Lines. H&R Coilovers. Anderson CF Track Pack Spoiler & Tailgate Panel. Blue CF/Leather Steering Wheel.
DRU842 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post