Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 05:56 PM   #721
MercuryT
Banned

Default Re: Whats stopping people from buying the Falcon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spammy
Only from reading this thread did I realise the Xr8 is no longer available - big error. To not have an affordable V8 in a local Aussie car sort of defeats the reason to have a large Aussie car.

I know the turbo is prob faster, lighter, whatever - but V8 is the backbone of the Falcon and Commodore fanbase.
I think sales of XR8 over last ten years suggest otherwise mate regarding fan-base.

The reason the XR8 was dumped was because it was a poor performer (sales and onroad compared to Turbo models). I doubt that is going to change in the future if they did try and do it all over again.

ps: The only reason the SS sells OK is because Holden dont have a turbo model to offer their fans, so its V8 or nothing.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:31 PM   #722
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercuryT
Ips: The only reason the SS sells OK is because Holden dont have a turbo model to offer their fans, so its V8 or nothing.
You have nailed it here!!!

I for one have an XR6T. Had there been no XR6T, I'd be in an XR8.. If you want performance, Ford have XR6T & G6ET. If you want performance, Holden have SS.. Pretty simple really!!

If you still want Falcon & V8, you have FPV... If you can't afford it, bad luck. Ford can't do everything for everyone!!
Old 09-02-2012, 06:32 PM   #723
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
I suggust you take a look, you might by very very surprised.. But for this reason, I think it could be a hard sell for Ford. I just hope the marketing department is up to it!!
I reckon thats worrying aswell i mean they IMO havnt had a good marketing campaign in OZ forever.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
Old 09-02-2012, 06:53 PM   #724
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Not just with the Falcon but something that annoys me looking at the new Focus:

I want Xenon headlights, only the top model has it as an option, and the top model is only auto, I want manual.

The sport model which is the next step down comes in manual, but you can't option up the xenon headlights.

If its an option on the upper model, why can't I get it fitted on the others? Why can't I pick and choose what I want in the car within reason?

Don't tell me it isn't possible, the old mans car was sold in Australia with halogen headlights and the Japanese car had xenons as an option, I sourced those headlight assemblies from a dealership over there and changed the wiring to suit, swapped over the assemblies and got the new globes required, if an apprentice auto electrician can do it, why can't a Ford dealership or the factory?

Also the TDCI came in manual in the previous model, now the new one, only comes in auto.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:56 PM   #725
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo

I want Xenon headlights, only the top model has it as an option, and the top model is only auto, I want manual.

The sport model which is the next step down comes in manual, but you can't option up the xenon headlights.

If its an option on the upper model, why can't I get it fitted on the others? Why can't I pick and choose what I want in the car within reason?

Don't tell me it isn't possible, the old mans car was sold in Australia with halogen headlights and the Japanese car had xenons as an option, I sourced those headlight assemblies from a dealership over there and changed the wiring to suit.
You would think with a global car like the Focus there would be more options.
Hell i wanted Xenons, LSD, CC in my 'top' of the range XR5 but got not one.
Hopefully they dont stooge us with the new ST.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
Old 09-02-2012, 07:09 PM   #726
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by weairy
I personally think Ford might have made a wrong move with the 4cyl Falcon... Kinda taking the approach Nissan did with the Patrol. Downsizing on a bigger car just doesn't seem to do justice. I don't know any of the power figures behind the 4cyl, but I'd personally never buy one...
There's the reason why the Falcon struggles ....... Statements like these. A perception based on ignorance. Sorry ..... its a strong statement but it is the truth.

They can make the fastest (done), biggest (done), safest (done), most economic (done), price competitive (done) ...... and then be totally ignored through apathy.

Took a few pages to get there but least the question has been well and truly answered.

Thanks ..........

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 09-02-2012, 07:11 PM   #727
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:

Don't tell me it isn't possible, the old mans car was sold in Australia with halogen headlights and the Japanese car had xenons as an option, I sourced those headlight assemblies from a dealership over there and changed the wiring to suit, swapped over the assemblies and got the new globes required, if an apprentice auto electrician can do it, why can't a Ford dealership or the factory?

Also the TDCI came in manual in the previous model, now the new one, only comes in auto.
Thats where getting supplies from Thailand later this year might be an advantage. At the moment they are stuck with whatever supplies Europe can spare, it's either take it or leave it.

Thailand supply will open up supplies, and with the lower production costs and no tariffs from Thia made vehicles some of those things you mention will probably find their way down the range as standard fitment.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:13 PM   #728
weairy
Piston Broke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau
There's the reason why the Falcon struggles ....... Statements like these. A perception based on ignorance. Sorry ..... its a strong statement but it is the truth.

They can make the fastest (done), biggest (done), safest (done), most economic (done), price competitive (done) ...... and then be totally ignored through apathy.

Took a few pages to get there but least the question has been well and truly answered.

Thanks ..........
*I PERSONALLY THINK* <- Note this at the start of my previous post.

And you've only got to look at the resales on the last 4.2 model Patrols lately... Some are around 70k... People like their bigger powerpacked vehicles.

I'm a 19yr old; I like noise and speed and go go
Old 09-02-2012, 07:15 PM   #729
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:

Thanks ..........
Yep, Ford have a really poor brand image and do absolutely f all to advertise their strengths. This is where a strong sales and marketing team are needed to push the best Falcon/Ford attributes to the people so they are informed about the product, but Ford are stuck with a bunch of useless clowns who wouldn't know how to do this if their lives depended on it.

They must also have a mandate from head office not to advertise the new Falcon so sales continue to drop, so its easier for Detroit to kill it off. What else could explain their sheer stupidity of not doing a single thing to advertise your new upgraded model.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:16 PM   #730
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Thats where getting supplies from Thailand later this year might be an advantage. At the moment they are stuck with whatever supplies Europe can spare, it's either take it or leave it.

Thailand supply will open up supplies, and with the lower production costs and no tariffs from Thia made vehicles some of those things you mention will probably find their way down the range as standard fitment.
If the Fiesta is anything to go from, that means we'll be getting a lower quality car than the German one.

Have a look at the WS and WT Fiesta, basically the same car, WS was German made and the WT was Thailand.

The Thailand WT lost the nice quality dash, the wheels are different from each other so they aren't interchangable, WS are 4x108 and WT are 4x100, the tyres went from a nice 195/50/15 to an odd 185/55/15, which are a hell of a lot rarer, less choice and more expensive to replace.

The only positives are the non existant "aircon" was fixed, and the price dropped a little.

I thought "One Ford" meant that regardless of where the car is made, it should be the same? They're certainly not the same at all.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:27 PM   #731
FacultY

Quote:
They must also have a mandate from head office not to advertise the new Falcon so sales continue to drop, so its easier for Detroit to kill it off. What else could explain their sheer stupidity of not doing a single thing to advertise your new upgraded model.
No wait thats not true. I did see One add in last saturdays west australian. Was a blue and orange xr6 on a track saying "introducing the new falcon mk2". Im sure that one add will sell 40 000 cars.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:30 PM   #732
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not sure if this has been said already, but to my eyes, the Falcon looks big. EA to BF looked smaller than they were, but with FG it just looks like a big car, when they should have styled for the opposite effect.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:33 PM   #733
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by weairy
*I PERSONALLY THINK* <- Note this at the start of my previous post.

And you've only got to look at the resales on the last 4.2 model Patrols lately... Some are around 70k... People like their bigger powerpacked vehicles.

I'm a 19yr old; I like noise and speed and go go
Sorry .... not directing this at you but just generalizing.

Yes ... having a 4 cyl may not be someones cup of tea and sorry to use you specifically as an example but it is the way it is and people will brush the Falcon away because of ignorance when buying ..... the truth is not getting out there and FORD is doing their damnedest to find ways in keeping it Australia's biggest automotive secret ...... (Refer to Bossxr8's post just above)

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 09-02-2012, 07:50 PM   #734
Spammy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yep, Ford have a really poor brand image and do absolutely f all to advertise their strengths. This is where a strong sales and marketing team are needed to push the best Falcon/Ford attributes to the people so they are informed about the product, but Ford are stuck with a bunch of useless clowns who wouldn't know how to do this if their lives depended on it.

Why spend money adveristing in popular public press for a product the public does not buy? Last year approx 6000 Falcons were private sales....you don't spend big money on broad based advertising to grab the attention of 0.02% of the population. You target trade mags, mail outs and the like for a targeted sale.

Do you see advertisments for artifical limbs or airplanes on TV?

I know everyone on here is an advertising guru - but I'm sure the professional and highly paid advertising team at Ford have thought through the options.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:55 PM   #735
MercuryT
Banned

Quote:
Sorry .... not directing this at you but just generalizing.

Yes ... having a 4 cyl may not be someones cup of tea and sorry to use you specifically as an example but it is the way it is and people will brush the Falcon away because of ignorance when buying ..... the truth is not getting out there and FORD is doing their damnedest to find ways in keeping it Australia's biggest automotive secret ...... (Refer to Bossxr8's post just above)
Whilst I 100% agree about the ignorance angle (another is how people buy BMWs for the "ultimate driving machine", then think a 318i will provide that and brag about their (rubbish) "sports saloon".....ha ha) it is fair to a degree the original comment the guy made about never buying a 4cyl Falcon.

I love the sound of cars and gives me driving enjoyment (place it more important than speed), and i've never heard a good sounding 4 - ever. Closest is a WRX and I still think its lame. So I agree with original comment, I wouldnt even test drive a Falcon 4 because I already know it wouldnt suit what im looking for.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:56 PM   #736
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Why spend money adveristing in popular public press for a product the public does not buy? Last year approx 6000 Falcons were private sales....you don't spend big money on broad based advertising to grab the attention of 0.02% of the population. You target trade mags, mail outs and the like for a targeted sale.
The " Why pay money to advertise to the general public " approach worked really well in 2011, didn't it?

Holden on the other hand, you can't escape the advertising. I can tell you now, because of advertising to the general public there's a sale on all 2011 plated Commodores. I can tell you, they introduced the SIDI engine a while back.. and that the VE Commodore looks very nice driving on a CGI produced country road.

As what Ford are doing with the Falcon.. I wouldn't have a clue?
Old 09-02-2012, 08:08 PM   #737
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
I think this is actually true. I said it before in this or another thread I cant remember but they havent done an ad for the Falcon since the fingers one back in 08. It's like they have made the decison on Falcon and will let it slowly fade away over the next few years. I predict they will have a line up without a large sedan but will bring Mustang in to satisfy the performance crew. Ranger will replace the ute. Explorer or similar to replace Territory.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:39 PM   #738
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:

Do you see advertisments for artifical limbs or airplanes on TV?

I know everyone on here is an advertising guru - but I'm sure the professional and highly paid advertising team at Ford have thought through the options.
So why change what they have been doing for the last 50 years?

Why stop TV advertising now?

And its not just TV advertising they have stopped, its all forms of media. They have done F all. I've seen maybe one ad in the paper and nothing on radio or TV. Its like they have set up for failure. How much of the general public would even know Ford have just released an updated Falcon, or an EcoLPi engine?
Old 09-02-2012, 09:14 PM   #739
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia
Not sure if this has been said already, but to my eyes, the Falcon looks big. EA to BF looked smaller than they were, but with FG it just looks like a big car, when they should have styled for the opposite effect.
Must just be you...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 09-02-2012, 09:23 PM   #740
Spammy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
So why change what they have been doing for the last 50 years?

Why stop TV advertising now?

And its not just TV advertising they have stopped, its all forms of media. They have done F all. I've seen maybe one ad in the paper and nothing on radio or TV. Its like they have set up for failure. How much of the general public would even know Ford have just released an updated Falcon, or an EcoLPi engine?

Somewhere between the 70,000 they used to sell and 18,000 they sold last year and the 930 last month they must have decided that the Falcon did not warrant a large advertisng spend. These guys track very carefully how much they spend over a week/month/year and match that to sales (or change in sales) over the same periods.

One can only assume they have seen the data which shows advertising spend on Falcons does not correspond to sales of Falcons.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:25 PM   #741
prydey
Rob

Quote:
all those big ford screens and banners at every cricket ground this summer must have been a hallucination then.

Quote:

do you stop to think that perhaps out of the thousands of cars they sell, there is only a small handful that are like you? they are running a business. why produce cars that are only selling to an absolute minority. given that they are the ones selling the cars, i'd imagine they have just a little bit more data on that subject than you have.

marketing - one of the best forms of marketing and creating a brand image is through word of mouth. in the last few months i reckon this forum has done more damage to the brand than any other lack of perceived marketing.

Quote:
Somewhere between the 70,000 they used to sell and 18,000 they sold last year and the 930 last month they must have decided that the Falcon did not warrant a large advertisng spend. These guys track very carefully how much they spend over a week/month/year and match that to sales (or change in sales) over the same periods.

One can only assume they have seen the data which shows advertising spend on Falcons does not correspond to sales of Falcons.
you mean the experts on the forum could be wrong? ooh, i doubt that!

also, the 930 sales - there were many down days and many storm damaged vehicles. jan is always a slow month.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:30 PM   #742
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
all those big ford screens and banners at every cricket ground this summer must have been a hallucination then.

do you stop to think that perhaps out of the thousands of cars they sell, there is only a small handful that are like you? they are running a business. why produce cars that are only selling to an absolute minority. given that they are the ones selling the cars, i'd imagine they have just a little bit more data on that subject than you have.

marketing - one of the best forms of marketing and creating a brand image is through word of mouth. in the last few months i reckon this forum has done more damage to the brand than any other lack of perceived marketing.
It hasn't just been the last few month's...
But you are right though.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:31 PM   #743
Spammy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
How much of the general public would even know Ford have just released an updated Falcon, or an EcoLPi engine?
Again how many of the general public care or are going to respond?? Keep in mind there were only 6000 private Falcon sales last year. Telling me every day that there is a new 4 cly or BBQ gas Falcon ain't going to lead to a sale.

Ford are better off spending $50k on a golf day for managers/buyers from the major fleets and push the new cars there.

A big fleet deciding to buy 300 Lpi utes is worth more to them than 5 random tradies that walk in after reading the sunday paper.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:32 PM   #744
bad moon rising
Banned

Quote:
Do companies have to pay Carbon tax on there car fleets as well???
i suppose if they dont build them in australia anymore the carbon tax wont affect ford as much.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:37 PM   #745
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Again how many of the general public care or are going to respond?? Keep in mind there were only 6000 private Falcon sales last year. Telling me every day that there is a new 4 cly or BBQ gas Falcon ain't going to lead to a sale.

Ford are better off spending $50k on a golf day for managers/buyers from the major fleets and push the new cars there.

A big fleet deciding to buy 300 Lpi utes is worth more to them than 5 random tradies that walk in after reading the sunday paper.
there is a mindset on here that if they ran tv adverts, that 6000 private sales would double overnight.

just think of the money they could save if they just logged on to AFF and asked a few key people on here for their advice.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:43 PM   #746
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Whilst I agree with you to some degree (especially with EcoLpi), but come on, you got to do some advertising to the general public to keep private sales ticking along. Also don’t forget we don’t know how many of those fleet sales are user choice ones. These would need general advertising to convert these sales.

I'm hoping, hoping, that Ford are waiting for EB4, to do some huge Ford advertising on Falcon. It’s a good time to do it, with a great "all new" product that has cutting edge technology, very different to everything Falcon stands for... Hopefully..
Old 09-02-2012, 09:46 PM   #747
gaz084
F1D procharged ute

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: With the amount of detail Gareth has put into his BF heat exchanger by-pass modification ... and also his work on his supercharged BA EGAS build thread has been a help to many on this forum when it comes to DIY inginuity. 

If they put external transmission coolers on the bf 4 speed auto after they found the milkshake problem with the ba they would have had my vote.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11283622
Old 09-02-2012, 09:49 PM   #748
bad moon rising
Banned

honestly, does anybody out there truley believe that ford can save the falcon? its been out sold 2 to 1 for years now and sales are declining more and more. maybe instead of trying to save it, they should let it go a replace it with something new and fresh for australia to try and gain more customers.

(please dont flame me, im delicate)
Old 09-02-2012, 09:56 PM   #749
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Whilst I agree with you to some degree (especially with EcoLpi), but come on, you got to do some advertising to the general public to keep private sales ticking along. Also don’t forget we don’t know how many of those fleet sales are user choice ones. These would need general advertising to convert these sales.

I'm hoping, hoping, that Ford are waiting for EB4, to do some huge Ford advertising on Falcon. It’s a good time to do it, with a great "all new" product that has cutting edge technology, very different to everything Falcon stands for... Hopefully..
Last weekend, they ran ads in the major newspapers regarding XR6 for $36,990,
TV ads for territory for $39,990...Ford does adverstise and people do see it.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:08 PM   #750
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Last weekend, they ran ads in the major newspapers regarding XR6 for $36,990,
TV ads for territory for $39,990...Ford does adverstise and people do see it.
Was the paper add a Ford one or dealer one?

They haven’t really done a Falcon marketing campaign in a long time. Not just a one off TV add or a one off paper add that aren’t linked & aren’t about “special deals”. A full blown campaign with many different types of outlets used with the same overall key messages & formats. A Falcon brand building compaign. A bit like the Territory lunch. It was not just one add, but a few & billboards, internet websites, paper, etc, etc.
Closed Thread