Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 22-03-2005, 11:49 PM   #1
MickyB
Get in the ring!!!

Default Tony Abbott

After all the news about Tony Abbott and his supposed son Daniel, I kind of feel sorry for the guy. Both he and his son have gone through a media wringer and I can't really think of a winner for this one.

My father who is an old cynic reckons that Abbott milked the situation because of his anti-abortion views, but I think he seemed genuinely happy at finding his 'son'. I can't begin to imagine his feelings when he found out he wasn't Daniel's father.

I know this is a strange thread, but what are you views on this? I am I wrong feeling for Abbott?

:
Old 22-03-2005, 11:53 PM   #2
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

I agree with you. As a parent I can say he has been through an emotional rollercoaster. Like him or hate him, he is a parent and what he just went through would have hurt. I honestly think he would be genuinly upset by the whole thing. When it was claimed to be his son he seemed very emotional and happy about it, this has got to have caused him some pain...and probably some relief too.
Personally, I feel sorry for the "son". He now has no idea who his father is.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2005, 12:00 AM   #3
MickyB
Get in the ring!!!

Well apparantly some bloke called 'Bill' is the father. He was a room mate of the mother when she was in uni. Poor old Abbott got duped when he was 19, and duped again now.
By the way I am not a parent, but Abbott just seemed so genuine when he was talking about his 'son' that it affected me.
Old 23-03-2005, 12:55 AM   #4
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

You can see real emotion! If only Abbott wasn't so self righteous and busy telling others how to live their lives he'd get a lot more sympathy. At least the ego may be in check for a while.

Even as a died in the woods liberal supporter I get scared at some of the rhetoric. But then the Libs don't have a monopoly on hypocrisy. _
RED_EL_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2005, 12:59 AM   #5
MickyB
Get in the ring!!!

How couldn't someone display emotion when talking about a long lost son? I agree that Abbott has taken a hard line with alot of things, but he seemed to soften a little with this latest debacle. I also think he has handled it exceptionally well publically.
Old 23-03-2005, 01:02 AM   #6
RSgerry
Well hello Mr Fancypants

i have to admit to feeling sorry for the guy too. i dont like politicians, but the joy of finding his son only to find out it wasnt his after 27 years would be gutting.
RSgerry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2005, 07:00 AM   #7
hml2777
legend

I can't stand Abbott, but I admire the man for the way he has handled this.
hml2777 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2005, 10:15 AM   #8
EA2BA
PM me if you want

His friend or her friend or whatever called Bill should be shot for screweing Abbotts girlfriend in the first place, and she is just a plain lying cheating little wh*** and hope she rots in hell, for putting Abbott through 27 years of torture thinking he had a son that was not even his.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2005, 10:36 AM   #9
chelvdog
Soul baby

I really feel for the guy, as much as I dislike politicians. I haven't seen my kids for 6 weeks and it's killing me. I can't imagine not seeing your kid for 27years and then finding out its not yours, that is just so wrong.
Old 23-03-2005, 12:38 PM   #10
TIKFD6
Number 5 is alive!

All i can say is that im glad its not me in his situation.
They are all ging to be torn, as Casper said its an emotional rollercoaster, and there will be alot more tears shed.

"Experimental Racer" #6
1994 Gunmetal XG XR6 1997-1999
[B][COLOR=Red] 1994 Le Mans Red ED

Back in a Ford XR. MA XR5 Mondeo

TIKFD6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2005, 07:14 PM   #11
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Am I the only one who thinks the original reunion was a bit stage managed. Abbott seemed to milk it for all it was worth politically.

I feel sorry for the son, nothing for the mother, and Abbott shits me anyway. As for back door Ben, well, he won't be the last to do that .....
cs123 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2005, 09:32 PM   #12
big_pete
Sublime

i really couldnt care less the whole situation with his family,
i just dont like how the media has jumped all over such a touchy and emotional subject, and forced us to know every detail of someblokes relationship with his exwife and possible son.
its just wrong
Old 25-03-2005, 01:00 PM   #13
EBII Ghia

Abbott = Bigot tosser

His girlfriend = Slut

Couldnt happen to a nicer bloke!!
EBII Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2005, 01:12 PM   #14
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBII Ghia
His girlfriend = Slut
How do you possibly come to that conclusion?
She was 18 and at uni, she was doing what probably every single other person at that age, in that era, was doing. That includes most of our parents.

Old 25-03-2005, 01:47 PM   #15
EBII Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
How do you possibly come to that conclusion?
She was 18 and at uni, she was doing what probably every single other person at that age, in that era, was doing. That includes most of our parents.

She was bangin Tone, and the flatmate!! ie. SLUT

And you would be comfortable with your girlfriend doing that. :rolleyes:

Last edited by EBII Ghia; 25-03-2005 at 01:49 PM.
Old 25-03-2005, 02:00 PM   #16
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
She was bangin Tone, and the flatmate!! ie. SLUT

And you would be comfortable with your girlfriend doing that. :rolleyes:
No I wouldnt but then again, I have no idea about what was happening, do you? I'm not going to judge her based soley on the sensasionalist media that is delving into a the private life of this poor woman simply because she dated (not married to, not engaged to, simply dated) someone who is now a public figure.
Personally I think that it is pathetic and wrong for this womans actions, in a different era, under the circumstances of the time, to be scrutinised and made public.
So what if she was a slut? I couldnt give a toss if she was a drug using, anti government, devil worshiping hippy with bad breath. Its her life, her rights and they are being dragged through the mud by people who dont know her, have no idea who she really is and really dont care. They just want a juicy story. It sickens me to think that, given the state of this country, the REAL issues that are at hand and the problems faced by people strugging to survive or achiving great things, that this mindless crap of trying to ruin some womans life is holding so much attention. If this is the medias priorities than I'm glad I made the decision a while back to simply ignore the commercial media all together.

Saying she is a slut for one indiscresion all those years ago is as much as me calling you a "baby killing psycho driver" for breaking the speed limit just once in your life. Thats what the media would have me think anyhow. Care to claim that never once has your speed crept just 1kmph over the limit? Unlikely.

So who are we to judge this woman?

Last edited by Casper; 25-03-2005 at 02:03 PM.
Old 25-03-2005, 02:10 PM   #17
EBII Ghia

The difference is I have never run over a baby whilst speeding. On the other hand, she has admitted to shaggin both "Bill" and Mr Abbott concurrently.
Ergo, slut.
You choose public life, your life becomes public.
Old 25-03-2005, 02:18 PM   #18
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
The difference is I have never run over a baby whilst speeding. On the other hand, she has admitted to shaggin both "Bill" and Mr Abbott concurrently.
Ergo, slut.
You choose public life, your life becomes public.
No, you may not have run over a baby but your speeding may have caused an accident you are totally unaware of. Then again, it may not have. It doesnt matter, the preception is the same.
Just like oyur peception of her. It is based solely on your own moral judgements which have been informed solely by the media. To be honest you really dont have a firm ground to make any assesment of this woman, no one apart from those that know her does.
As I said, its no different to you saying you have driven over the limit and me, based solely on that and my own personal morals, saying your a "speed addicted psycho driver". Its unfair, probably wrong and only an opinion that is based on my own expectations.
Does that deserve to be plastered all over the news just because, for example, you dated a famouse person 5 years ago how suddenly claims your a bad driver?
Would dating a famous person...when they were a nobody... mean that you have chosen to be "a public figure"? Not likely.
Go after Tony Abbott if you want, or any other public person, because, as you said, they have chose public life. This woman didnt. In fact, she is a victim. It was not her who sought out her son, it was not her that chose to be in the public spotlight.

Old 25-03-2005, 03:42 PM   #19
Falchoon

Granted we don't really know the full story but circumstantal evidence does suggest that TA was seeing this woman on a regular basis (ie boyfriend/girlfriend) and that while he was seeing her she shagged the flatmate one night. I would not accept a girlfriend of mine doing something like that, no excuse would wash.

I think the media is making a big deal out of it and there must be more important things to report on. I don't know how or why the media got hold of the story in the first place, what business is it of anyones? If I found out that I had a child all those years ago I wouldn't want strangers reading about it in the newspaper. It would be between me, the child and the former partner and whomever else I chose to tell. Just because you are a public figure or celebrity doesn't mean your private life is public IMO.
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post