Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 25-03-2005, 08:31 PM   #1
olfella
Cranky old bastard

Default wots the go??

: I noticed on the news tonight the cops are rampling uptheir presense over the Easter break, as they allways do. In a news clip advising this they had a ramdon breath station pull a driver over and the cop said 'this is a random breath test show me your licence'. Now I now it is always a good idea to comply with const plod but I thought procedurelly and legally, they should give a test and if it was no good then ask for the licence.

Say the story goes, pulled over for a rendom breath test and they spotted a baldy tire. If it goes to court, can your defence be that they never suspected you had a baldy tire prior to pulling you over and therefore have the case dismissed?

To cut to the chase, what I am getting at is can you be pulled over for one thing and be charged with something complety different??
Cheers - Eric :
olfella is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2005, 08:41 PM   #2
FordFan86
meow

Ofcourse you can, if the cop was a big enough *******.
FordFan86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2005, 08:43 PM   #3
darkfang888
ED Fairmont 4.0L

yep, unfortunatley.
Old 25-03-2005, 08:49 PM   #4
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Firstly, its my understanding that a police officer can ask you to identify yourself at any time for any reason during the course of their duties.

Secondly, of course you can be charged with subsequent offenses of any kind as the police become aware of them. If they arrest a person for murder, and then through DNA evidence find out he also raped a dozen women, he would of course be charged and tried for the rapes as well as the murder. Thats just common sense.

If you get pulled over for not indicating, and in the course of their duties the police find you are drunk or drugged, you will be charged. If they find your car has a defect, it will get a defect notice. You wont get it dismissed.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2005, 09:29 PM   #5
Damo
Banned

i've never been asked for ID for a breath Test. Probably just did it for the News clip, to look more professional.
Damo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2005, 09:34 PM   #6
LUXO_8
windsor user

damo, they wont unless you're over.... so you probably never will be asked, unless you're an idiot
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2005, 09:56 PM   #7
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

The opposite happened to me the other day. Got pulled over for an RBT, was asked for my lisence but was never tested.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2005, 10:03 PM   #8
Psycho Chicken
Banned

They can on a random breath test, they can't at a breath testing station. Of course they can always pull you up for it down the road.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2005, 10:04 PM   #9
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
The opposite happened to me the other day. Got pulled over for an RBT, was asked for my lisence but was never tested.
wi3rdos!
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2005, 11:09 PM   #10
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Chicken
They can on a random breath test, they can't at a breath testing station. Of course they can always pull you up for it down the road.
If they are doing a booze bus they can ask you to do anything within their power.. including showing your licence then and there.
XA-Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2005, 11:38 PM   #11
b2tf
not here much anymore

As XA has said, they can do/ask whatever they are legally allowed to at any time.

In NSW at least, regardless of what you are pulled over for, the licence is usually the first thing they ask for. I have on occasion been pulled over at random after they've followed me for a while - see a flash of the highbeams and then the little dash lights come on, and all they want is to see my licence, then they let me go.
And yes it is very possible for them to book you for something else - they dont exactly say 'look your tyre is stuffed but we'll get you for that another 500m down the road'.
Old 26-03-2005, 11:55 AM   #12
big_pete
Sublime

i always get asked for my liscense,

i thought it was normal.
Old 26-03-2005, 11:58 AM   #13
olfella
Cranky old bastard

Thanks for clearing that up for me fella's. I guess I will be a good boy and do as I am told. Cheers - Eric
olfella is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2005, 12:02 PM   #14
deankdx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i've had them check the rego sticker at a randm breath testin station before.
deankdx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2005, 03:28 PM   #15
xceler8shun
Ford Fanatic

everytime ive been thru a RBT i have to show my license
xceler8shun is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2005, 03:42 PM   #16
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by XA Coupe
If they are doing a booze bus they can ask you to do anything within their power.. including showing your licence then and there.
Then why is it my dad, a copper of 30 years, one of the guys who came up with the current booze bus system was asked for his licence at one the other week, said "You can't do that, this is for preliminary breath testing only" and the senior constable said "How do you know that?" and sent him on his way?
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2005, 09:34 PM   #17
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

When I got pulled over for breath testing, I was not asked for my licence.
Actually they semed more interested in my dog, which my grandfather had in the backseat.:
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post