Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 24-01-2006, 10:18 AM   #1
theostheone

Default FYI: If you have an impact...

hey people...

The otha night on the way home.. as i was turning into a street i ran into a medium strip. Apparently at the spot there had been an accident before where a truck took out the first 10-15 metres of the strip at the start of the street, and so the strip i ran into was about 10-15 metres from where i turned which made it invisible on the approach to the corner.

Anyway after mounting it very painfully and damaging my new set of 18 inch rims (after removing the front and back i found they BOTH buckled... even though i was going about 40-50 km/hr) and blowing the front tyre, the car came to a slow stop.

*************** this is the important part *****************
When it came time to move the car, the car didnt start. Trying lots of times i couldnt work out why the car wouldnt start. So I called the NRMA and afta waiting about 1 hour he finally arrives. He looks at the engine for about 5 seconds, then scratches his head, then he said that new cars usually have some sort of kill switch that shuts down the engine when there is a shock to the car to prevent fuel etc from leaking. So after looking through the manual we found that the switch is behind the glovebox on the left. I think it is a yellow switch that you press down on. So we did... and like magic the car started again.

Anyway i moved the car to a petrol station nearby. Had to go back the next day with my stock rims and take the 18s off cos they were damaged. It drove home with no problems... and the suspension felt normal so im guessing the only problem was with the rims. Anyway its due for its 30k service in a few days so ill take it in and ask them to check it out.

If i do need new suspension ill ask them to drop it for me... and as far as the rims go, i rang up the council and they said to write a letter with all the details and they will send it to their insurance company to see what they say.

Theo.

theostheone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2006, 10:45 AM   #2
EA2BA
PM me if you want

Bugger about that, a good reason why I never cut corners, hope the insurance pays up.

My wife's KIA has one of them petrol cut off switches it shuts the fuel pump of in an accident, but her reset switch is in the engine bay, I read the manual the day we got it.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2006, 11:41 AM   #3
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

Had a similar experience when i aquaplaned into a medium strip.
Completely buckled my front right steel wheel and shredded the turanza tyre.
Was not a pleasant experience buying the new parts (thank god i saved about 120 because i was able to get the bits i needed for trade price)

However in my case, the suspension didnt feel right, i had completely knocked out my alignment as it was a very substantial hit.

Anyway, best of luck with your claim through council.
Candy White, Anthracite heated Sports leather seats w/ Red stitching.Tinted Windows, Eibach Pro-Kit springs,Whiteline Front/Rear adjustable sway bars,Cupra R intake, Forge Turbo Inlet pipe,BMC panel filter, APR stage one flash,
Dunlop SP sport MAXX, Forge Polished upper front strut brace. 3'' downpipe and highflow cat

Loads of fun :
mitch_lx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2006, 11:41 PM   #4
b2tf
not here much anymore

yup, focus has a fuel switch too. In LR models its in the drivers footwell, not sure where it is on the new models.
Old 25-01-2006, 03:38 AM   #5
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

yeah thats the one.....

my ford probe (RIP baby :( ) had it in the LH/rear of the boot
cobrin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2006, 11:11 AM   #6
whippet_zetec
Supes

Yep the LR Focus has a pertol cut of switch. I think it is set to turn on if there is an impact of 30km/h or more (will check the details).

Primarily a safety feature, but can be a bugger if you dont knokw about it and someone gives your car a tap in a carpark and you come back and find your ar wont start.
Old 25-01-2006, 01:25 PM   #7
FezBoy
Fez good. Wez better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theostheone
The otha night on the way home.. as i was turning into a street i ran into a medium strip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch_lx
Had a similar experience when i aquaplaned into a medium strip.
'suse me, gents, but they're called MEDIAN strips. Median means 'middle' essentially, so a 'median strip' is the strip in the middle of the road.

Yes, I'm a pedantic bastard. I make no apologies.

Gave my 2004 Fiesta Zetec to my mother-in-law.

Drive a Westfield SEiW now: No roof. No windows. No doors. No ABS. No ASC. No EBD. No power brakes. No power steering. No cruise control. No radio.

Got: 600kg, 300hp, R888s.

FezBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2006, 11:17 PM   #8
Scareybear
GRRRR.....

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by FezBoy
'suse me, gents, but they're called MEDIAN strips. Median means 'middle' essentially, so a 'median strip' is the strip in the middle of the road.

Yes, I'm a pedantic bastard. I make no apologies.
Maybe they wer'nt large strips, and not small either :evil_laug

If you sneeze with your eyes open, do your eyes pop out??
Scareybear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2006, 10:21 AM   #9
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

lol okay fezboy ill take that constructive Krytysism. LoL
Candy White, Anthracite heated Sports leather seats w/ Red stitching.Tinted Windows, Eibach Pro-Kit springs,Whiteline Front/Rear adjustable sway bars,Cupra R intake, Forge Turbo Inlet pipe,BMC panel filter, APR stage one flash,
Dunlop SP sport MAXX, Forge Polished upper front strut brace. 3'' downpipe and highflow cat

Loads of fun :
mitch_lx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2006, 11:00 PM   #10
theostheone

yes fezboy... you are... a bastard.
theostheone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2006, 11:27 PM   #11
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

WOW, nice pic there Cobrin! Any bigger pictures of your car there? It looks good. Welcome to the forums! What mods have you done? I see it is Ink Blue, so i guess it is a LX with rims?

And, calm down guys... Fezboy was pointing out an error.

Moving on...

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post