Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 02-02-2012, 12:32 PM   #1
prasac
Banned

Default crazy BA XR6 Turbo coming back out to play

taken from Dragons Lair Motorsports website http://www.dragonslairmotorsports.co...tle-dragon-ii/

Daniel Linderman from Dragons Lair Motorsports has been very busy prepping his mental BA Falcon (this is the old ASSI5T Falcon) over an agonizing 12 months basically redesigning the whole car! The car has run a best of 8.86@143mph weighing in at 1700+kg’s in its previous form on a 3 quarter track pass, so it wasn’t slow to begin with at any stretch of the imagination. After much deliberation, planning & research DLM & Daniel decided to go to the next level sporting a custom DLM-Spec 1098R bottom end with a killer DLM-Spec Stage 6 Solid Lifter Cylinder head and custom cam configuration. The peripherals needed to be addressed accordingly so a custom race-port DLM inlet manifold with duel injector rails, 100+mm throttle body, and Mental custom 6Boost exhaust manifold to compliment a very special turbo charger from Precision….

Controlling all of the is a Platinum Haltech 2000 with all the bells and whistles including electronic dash, AMS1000, and custom CDI unit for plenty of spark. The drive-train is a modified T400 auto with trans-brake and custom 9inch sporting a strange ultra case, major modifications have occurred in this region and plenty of other tuff bits have been fitted.

We will refrain from forecasts and speculations and let the numbers do the talking very shortly! A small video below for your enjoyment showing the little Dragons heart on the test cell for the final time with all systems go, Daniel has managed not to sleep very much at all in the past few days so the fitting of the engine and most peripherals are almost completed within 72hours! A few pics below as well for your enjoyment, join us in this most exciting journey and watch this space! Further and better particulars of tuning and quarter mile testing will be made available as soon as the events take place!

prasac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2012, 09:21 PM   #2
jd dad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: crazy BA XR6 Turbo coming back out to play

thats a man size compressor if I ever saw one
Old 02-02-2012, 11:14 PM   #3
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

Smile Re: crazy BA XR6 Turbo coming back out to play

Prasac,if you dont mind i have a question about these precision turbos.I have recently put on the gtx3582r and am reasonably happy with it except for the litlle more lag over the std turbo,not huge but with the fours speeds tall first sometimes shites me.can or would you reccomend a precision over the gtx in something rated to 750hp to aid in some quicker spool time.

Like i said im happy with the garrett but if the precision can beat it by 2-300rpm spool time im all for it.I have also found the gtx to be quieter than the std ba turbo which i did like initially but knowing i have a biggish turbo i now want to hear her in all glory,i really like the sound of the precission turbo spoil noise.

Measured my gtx compressor wheel and its 2.5mm bigger than the specs for it,ill take that though lol.

That car above is going to raise some eyebrowes for sure:-)AMS seems to be a popular choice of late on the strip,nice bit of gear and better than eboost yeah?
FreddyDUZ747 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2012, 11:33 PM   #4
ebxr8boy

Nice looking setup. How big is the comp wheel on the turbo if it can be said

The Eboost is not much better than a boost tee when compared to the AMS1000/2000
RIP - EB XR8 5spd - 168rwkw 400nm - Explorer Manifold, Phenolic spacer, K&N panel, U/D pulleys, 65mm Throttle, STD maf, ported E7's, Extractors, STD cats, STD exhaust no mufflers, AU snorkel, EF/EL Thermo's, unknown cam

14.6 @ 95 before Explorer Manifold and spacer

Daily - 4.0T Econovan

New project - 5.4l 331ci GT45, 8.2 4.125 Man o war, Billet LAE crank, Jon Kaase Heads, Pauter Rods, Diamond pistons, C6 Auto
ebxr8boy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2012, 12:01 AM   #5
prasac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyDUZ747
Prasac,if you dont mind i have a question about these precision turbos.I have recently put on the gtx3582r and am reasonably happy with it except for the litlle more lag over the std turbo,not huge but with the fours speeds tall first sometimes shites me.can or would you reccomend a precision over the gtx in something rated to 750hp to aid in some quicker spool time.

Like i said im happy with the garrett but if the precision can beat it by 2-300rpm spool time im all for it.I have also found the gtx to be quieter than the std ba turbo which i did like initially but knowing i have a biggish turbo i now want to hear her in all glory,i really like the sound of the precission turbo spoil noise.

Measured my gtx compressor wheel and its 2.5mm bigger than the specs for it,ill take that though lol.

That car above is going to raise some eyebrowes for sure:-)AMS seems to be a popular choice of late on the strip,nice bit of gear and better than eboost yeah?
i'm confident that Spiro can spec something that will spin up exactly how you want and make the power u r after. i love the Precision whistle it's just an awesome sound. i wish i had the video of my mates RX7 with a 1JZ, it was pushing 450rwhp on 24psi, a 67mm billet comp wheel, journal bearing Precision, the whistle is different compared to other turbo's. i put the Garrett's on mine as i got them at a very good price (a 1/3 of what similar PT would cost). you won't believe how much more excited i am now to put the Precision's on there.

QIK1 went from a GTX42R to a 76mm Precision, i think he said, they slipped it straight in the GTX42R exhaust housing. he was spooling up 500rpm quicker and making more power at lower boost/rpm he had the specs somewhere in his thread in Performance Builds.

maybe something like a PT6266 or this PT6265 will do the trick http://www.dragonslairmotorsports.co...roduct=5698346 for around $1800 it is very reasonably priced for a 700hp+ ball bearing turbo.

the AMS1000 is the way to go for the big hp guys. having the CO2 lines controlling the gates gives you 100% control. is it better than the eboost2 yeah it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd dad
thats a man size compressor if I ever saw one
it sure is

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8boy
Nice looking setup. How big is the comp wheel on the turbo if it can be said

The Eboost is not much better than a boost tee when compared to the AMS1000/2000
Spiro didn't give exact details, he just said 'big'

the eBoost2 is a much better unit than people give them credit for, we only use an eBoost2 and we 60' (1.28, 11.5'' tyre, leaf spring) that is as good as any turbo car in our class, it puts the power down exactly how we want it every pass. what makes the AMS1000/2000 so much better at controlling boost is the CO2. a solenoid setup and the AMS1000 would work the same as an eboost2. for a street car or strip car under 1200-1500hp the eBoost2 will work a treat.

Last edited by prasac; 03-02-2012 at 12:24 AM.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:17 AM   #6
SIMBAD
RAPID GT-P

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: This thread: BA-BF diff cradle removal for diff bushes 

"watch this space" that I will, truly looks interesting.. Any vid up of it already?
Full Difilippo big boy exhaust /4.5" body ballistic metal cats / boss 315 plenum & twin throttle body coupled to bpr airbox / powerbond underdrives / herrod 290 cams / malwood opt 3+ / hrs Pegasus rims 19x8.5 front - 9.5 rear / nitto invo 245-35-19F & 275-35-19R / whiteline swaybars/ Under bonnet bling / 4.11 harrop truetrac

Enhanced by BLUEPOWER

supercharged 363 dart takes on au work ute http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11342906
SIMBAD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2012, 10:02 AM   #7
prasac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMBAD
"watch this space" that I will, truly looks interesting.. Any vid up of it already?
gonna be good, the 2 quickest 4L I6's in the land right here in Sydney

only a couple vids of the engine startup on the stand
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1a_Oux5NVVE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WT63HrVpvKg
one of the car in action, this is before the new engine. it hurt the engine this pass
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_9GpD8daqY
Old 03-02-2012, 12:33 PM   #8
icer
Winning's Winning!

looks the goods! After all the quiet time would be good to see it out again! Will be interesting to see how the t400 holds up! If it holds up here, it will hold up anywhere! With it completely stripped and auto, i reckon you might be close to the all mighty 7s @ 160+ on a perfect pass!

And agreed on the AMS. Anyone with 450+rwkw should have the AMS over the eboost IMO. I took tuners advised and went straight for the AMS over the eboost2. Works out well!

Fingers crossed for DML. Hopefully at least pip Bev (Envy dyno) for a while :P

prasac, fastest 4L I6 in a BA-FG maybe :P

Now with new setup 460rwkw on 15psi. 30PSI is fun!
icer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2012, 05:55 PM   #9
NOSXR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good to see this monster back racing, good luck guys.
NOSXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2012, 06:13 PM   #10
prasac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by icer
looks the goods! After all the quiet time would be good to see it out again! Will be interesting to see how the t400 holds up! If it holds up here, it will hold up anywhere! With it completely stripped and auto, i reckon you might be close to the all mighty 7s @ 160+ on a perfect pass!

And agreed on the AMS. Anyone with 450+rwkw should have the AMS over the eboost IMO. I took tuners advised and went straight for the AMS over the eboost2. Works out well!

Fingers crossed for DML. Hopefully at least pip Bev (Envy dyno) for a while :P

prasac, fastest 4L I6 in a BA-FG maybe :P
not even in a BA-FG i just remembered Errol Quartermaine got his in a BA-BF Falcon even though it's a full tube car.

TH400 is a good box. i have seen 2000hp TH400.

it's good to see everyone going with the AMS1000, at least people are choosing between 2 good options. i believe the eBoost2 and the AMS1000 are the 2 best boost controllers on the market. i'm sick of seeing all these people with $100-$200 boost controllers. these 2 controllers are really worth the extra money.
Old 20-02-2012, 09:51 AM   #11
prasac
Banned

engine all fitted and fired up http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yd5xN28iRH8
Old 20-02-2012, 03:06 PM   #12
CYC06T

Might be time to wind up the CYCO a bit now......

It will be sweet to have the two quickest I6's in Sydney. The guys in VIC had it for way too long!

The car looks the goods. Enjoy it. It is nice to see all the hard work paying off.
Old 20-02-2012, 03:08 PM   #13
Giant
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Organising Nulon to sponsor AFF. 

Thats not fired up! Fired up is when you have had 15 beers and someone spills the 16th lol.
Giant is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2012, 03:37 PM   #14
prasac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant
Thats not fired up! Fired up is when you have had 15 beers and someone spills the 16th lol.
switch that to cans of JD for me bit of uninterrupted idling http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epAixlHSZsQ no eye of the tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYC06T
Might be time to wind up the CYCO a bit now......

It will be sweet to have the two quickest I6's in Sydney. The guys in VIC had it for way too long!

The car looks the goods. Enjoy it. It is nice to see all the hard work paying off.
still got Errol in WA, he is the quiet achiever, 7.6-7.8 whatever he has done in the Falcon and Torana. i always forget bout him, don't get much feedback from WA. always hear about stuff from the East coast, don't get too much from West coast.

i asked Spiro yesterday when it will be testing, he was tight lipped

nice 94mm Precision Turbo would look the part under your bonnet
Old 20-02-2012, 07:07 PM   #15
CYC06T

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasac
switch that to cans of JD for me bit of uninterrupted idling http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epAixlHSZsQ no eye of the tiger

still got Errol in WA, he is the quiet achiever, 7.6-7.8 whatever he has done in the Falcon and Torana. i always forget bout him, don't get much feedback from WA. always hear about stuff from the East coast, don't get too much from West coast.

i asked Spiro yesterday when it will be testing, he was tight lipped

nice 94mm Precision Turbo would look the part under your bonnet
Yeah - Errol is a quiet achiever for sure. I would love to see my setup in a tube chassis car. Sure would be interesting.

I will probably touch base with Spiro when we get back for a chat
Old 20-02-2012, 08:00 PM   #16
prasac
Banned

Quote:
Yeah - Errol is a quiet achiever for sure. I would love to see my setup in a tube chassis car. Sure would be interesting.

I will probably touch base with Spiro when we get back for a chat
i would love to see yours in a full tube car also the Ford I6 could definitely ruffle a few feathers in Sport Compact. there was one that was being built a few years ago but the owner got in trouble and it fell thru, that was a real shame it would definitely be up there with the fastest in the world.

i was talking to a guy a few weeks back that is in the process of putting one in a 3/4-full tube car. i think another forum member has put one in a full tube Capri, the build thread is on here somewhere. even 1000hp in a 2400lbs full tube car is capable of a very respectable 7.8@175, your engine would be knocking on the door of a 6

definitely give Spiro a call and have a chat. hopefully i will have my turbo's soon, saw the CV Performance Skyline at the track it run a 8.47@167 last week, it has twin Precision PT6766's, i liked the look of twin turbo's on a straight 6.

i'm getting anxious to get mine, i have to try and organise everything around my fabricator while he has free time. i don't want to miss out and have to wait i must be a boyscout i like being prepared
Old 15-03-2012, 01:24 PM   #17
prasac
Banned

new video's on the dyno http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pf5qKoAwWXM http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pdWaVlKPUo DLM and CV Performance still in the early days of tuning, has made 900+hp (670kw+) on 22psi 8190rpm with a TH400 and 5500rpm converter.
Old 28-04-2012, 09:05 PM   #18
donizgood
donkey22

what a mass turbo
donizgood is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2012, 12:17 PM   #19
Giant
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Organising Nulon to sponsor AFF. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPEhy...eature=related
Old 04-05-2012, 12:24 PM   #20
CYC06T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant
Not sure I like seeing myself on camera.....

Important to note that this is not the car this thread is about though!
Old 04-05-2012, 12:24 PM   #21
prasac
Banned

wrong thread
Old 04-05-2012, 12:25 PM   #22
CYC06T

Quote:
wrong thread
Beat ya to it mate....just!
Old 04-05-2012, 12:27 PM   #23
prasac
Banned

Quote:
Beat ya to it mate....just!
Old 04-05-2012, 12:28 PM   #24
Giant
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

LOL still a crazy BA XR6T hehehe.

Check this crazy BA out:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yP-iH...feature=relmfu
Old 04-05-2012, 12:35 PM   #25
prasac
Banned

mighta been something on the track, looks like there is a patch where it pulled right in the 2nd pass, or it just has a tendency to want to pull right

just watched it again, that is ridiculous no spotters on the track at all, it's no wonder i know alot of people that have said they would never race at Heathgoat again. you need spotters!
Old 04-05-2012, 12:42 PM   #26
CYC06T

Quote:
mighta been something on the track, looks like there is a patch where it pulled right in the 2nd pass, or it just has a tendency to want to pull right

just watched it again, that is ridiculous no spotters on the track at all, it's no wonder i know alot of people that have said they would never race at Heathgoat again. you need spotters!
Yeah CLINIC hasnt been out anytime recently that I am aware of. It was definitely making good progress so not sure what has happened to the car...
Old 04-05-2012, 12:44 PM   #27
Giant
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its probably making right hand turns somewhere....
Old 04-05-2012, 12:49 PM   #28
prasac
Banned

it looks like it maybe an issue with the car not the track, but still should be spotters or something serious can happen.