Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 07-03-2016, 11:16 PM   #1
V8kado
Mondeo Titanium Estate

Default My 2011 MC Ford Mondeo Titanium Wagon Tdci

Well got myself a new (for me) 2011 MC Mondeo Titanium Wagon Tdci in pretty tidy condition. Well looked after for a family hauler I must say.

Wagon has 120k and just had it's 2nd major service which included the 6 Speed Powershift thank god, and also has near brand new Pirelli P1's all round

I ended up flying down to Melbourne from Canberra last Friday to pick it up. Had a quick test drive, paid my money and drove it back home the same day.

First impressions from the long drive home are Wow. Some of the gadgets in this thing is nothing short of impressive, Adaptive cruise control is just insane in a good way, how good does it do it's job. Also Lane departure, Blind Spot, Voice control, Cornering head lamps, Heated seats, Folding mirrors, Convers+, Sports suspension, 18's, Body kit, Tint, Sunroof, Global Windows, LED DRL's, F & R Parking sensors and if I haven't mentioned it yet then it's probably because I haven't found it yet........ Something a Falcon of this time would only dream of having!

And the fuel use OMG. After coming off a near 2.5T Territory Petrol AWD where I'd get around 400-500km at the best, this thing pretty much uses nothing compared. On the way home I travelled around 685km at an average of 5.8L with a massive 523km DTE still remaining. Still cant believe it really, that little 2L Tdci is some engine. Yeah, I'm just stunned really

The 6Speed Powershift, well the dury is still out on that one! Once up to speed with a bit of momentum the box is faultless and quite enjoyable. The sports shift is sublime and well sorted and does it's job just fine. Just at low speeds, the thing is almost lost if that's how I can describe it. Probably the most annoying change is the 1-2 change and take off. I think it's a normal trait that I'll just have to get used to, just weird that's all. And, I actually don't mind the firmer downshifts when slowing as where I live is quit hilly so this controls the speed nicely for me.

I'll post some pictures for now, and get back here for some advice, tips & tricks perhaps?

Thanks for looking, enjoy.

Old 07-03-2016, 11:30 PM   #2
Binny

Default Re: My 2011 MC Ford Mondeo Titanium Wagon Tdci

Congrats on your purchase. It looks in great nick. Those titanium wagons with a dark tint sure do look awesome.
Old 07-03-2016, 11:37 PM   #3
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well done on the purchase mate!

I agree with most of your comments above.

Quick question, I previously owned a 2012 Titanium Wagon also with Genuine Tow Bar kit. I had nothing but issues with the rear parking sensors. How is it going for you?
Mine just kept beeping when the tow ball was on, with the tow ball off it was ok - just annoying!!!

Also, I am surprised that you got to drive it back from VIC. Normally they want you to get an un-registered vehicle permit to drive interstate. Well that has been my experience driving back to QLD anyway! Good old Vic Roads...

What is the little antenna on the drivers side rear window?
Old 08-03-2016, 07:15 AM   #4
V8kado
Mondeo Titanium Estate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ope126 View Post
Well done on the purchase mate!

I agree with most of your comments above.

Quick question, I previously owned a 2012 Titanium Wagon also with Genuine Tow Bar kit. I had nothing but issues with the rear parking sensors. How is it going for you?
Mine just kept beeping when the tow ball was on, with the tow ball off it was ok - just annoying!!!

Also, I am surprised that you got to drive it back from VIC. Normally they want you to get an un-registered vehicle permit to drive interstate. Well that has been my experience driving back to QLD anyway! Good old Vic Roads...

What is the little antenna on the drivers side rear window?
Thanks fellas!

re the Towbar, No issues at all so far. Works perfectly as it should with no interference with the towbar whatsoever.

Well I had a bit of a gentleman's agreement with the owner that no forms would be submitted on his side until I got my Blue Slip sorted this week. He was a car enthusiast too and wanted the transaction to be a seamless as possible for me, very helpful. He even offered to leave his insurance on it for me for the trip home, although I did grab comprehensive insurance for the peace of mind drive home.
He will send me the remaining money refunded from the 4 months rego remaining.

The antenna was apparently put on by the original owner for his rep business, for better coverage of mobile phone reception. Did have a cradle inside somewhere which I cant find evidence of!
Old 08-03-2016, 09:50 AM   #5
manchu

That's one nice wagon. Congrats on the purchase.

I was eyeing that one off myself I think but settled on Zetec. My thinking was 'I don't need all those fancy gadgets', but now I don't have them I want them!.
manchu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2016, 12:32 PM   #6
Mondaveo

Congrats on the purchase. They're a sharp-looking vehicle in white. In fact, had I the choice I would've preferred a white car over the metallic black I ended up getting, I think it looks better in that colour from the front. (Although the wagon in black looks badass from the rear )

My top feature is the forward collision warning and mitigation system - hope you never need it, but it was the clincher to the argument for me of whether to go for the higher-spec model. That, and the sunroof was a novelty I just couldn't pass up

@ope126, my towbar with ball doesn't interfere with the parking sensors either, they even seem to be calibrated correctly for the extra length of the towbar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondeo View Post
Like 'Mondeo' is possibly Latin for gearbox anxiety.

Last edited by Mondaveo; 08-03-2016 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Towbar experience
Mondaveo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2016, 04:44 PM   #7
V8kado
Mondeo Titanium Estate

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchu View Post
That's one nice wagon. Congrats on the purchase.

I was eyeing that one off myself I think but settled on Zetec. My thinking was 'I don't need all those fancy gadgets', but now I don't have them I want them!.
Thanks, there wasn't many Titanium Wagons in the country actually, only the 3 were for sale in the time I was looking. Mainly all hatches, or pov pack wagons. Glad you left this one alone. They are pretty rare on the ground come to think of it!

I Love gadgets now!
Old 08-03-2016, 04:49 PM   #8
V8kado
Mondeo Titanium Estate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondaveo View Post
Congrats on the purchase. They're a sharp-looking vehicle in white. In fact, had I the choice I would've preferred a white car over the metallic black I ended up getting, I think it looks better in that colour from the front. (Although the wagon in black looks badass from the rear )

My top feature is the forward collision warning and mitigation system - hope you never need it, but it was the clincher to the argument for me of whether to go for the higher-spec model. That, and the sunroof was a novelty I just couldn't pass up

@ope126, my towbar with ball doesn't interfere with the parking sensors either, they even seem to be calibrated correctly for the extra length of the towbar.
Cheers, I'm really glad I got White. For some reason they look more classy in this colour? And besides, I had a Territory Ghia in Black I had to maintain for 8yrs so a White car in the family is a god send.

Tell us a little more about this "Forward Collision Warning & Mitigation System". Never actually heard of it, or the fact that the Mondeo (Titanium?) had it.
Old 08-03-2016, 07:28 PM   #9
Mondaveo

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8kado
there wasn't many Titanium Wagons in the country actually, only the 3 were for sale in the time I was looking. Mainly all hatches, or pov pack wagons. Glad you left this one alone. They are pretty rare on the ground come to think of it!
Yep, I was watching the market for a period of several months last year, and I don't think the number of secondhand Titanium wagons on sale at any given time was ever more than single digit across the nation. I wasn't keen to go interstate, and had almost made friends with the idea of getting into an LX when the car in my sig popped up locally, so I jumped all over it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8kado View Post
Tell us a little more about this "Forward Collision Warning & Mitigation System". Never actually heard of it, or the fact that the Mondeo (Titanium?) had it.
Autonomous braking system. It uses the Adaptive Cruise Control radar system in traffic to detect when you are closing distance to the vehicle in front. If it detects a collision is impending, it flashes a warning on the Convers+ unit and primes the brakes for quick response to the brake pedal.

If the driver takes no action, I *think* it may also apply the brakes automatically to try to avoid or reduce the severity of the impact. Don't quote me on that though, I haven't found anything official that uses those words.

Here's a media article (2008) about it: http://www.gizmag.com/ford-mondeo-ge...-control/8694/

It was a feature on top-level MA-MC models (Titanium and XR5). As of the new MD, this tech (and more) has also trickled down to the mid-level Trend spec.

Quote:
This user likes this post:
Old 08-03-2016, 08:50 PM   #10
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Very nice looking car, having the higher spec trim and everything colour matched makes a difference.

We could only get the Titanium with the Ecoboost engine here. Good call Ford NZ!
Old 08-03-2016, 09:08 PM   #11
Mondaveo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ XR6 View Post
We could only get the Titanium with the Ecoboost engine here. Good call Ford NZ!
Really? Wagons too? In Aus it seems if you want wagon, you only get it with diesel, unless you're happy with the povvo-pack variant...

Quote:
Old 08-03-2016, 09:50 PM   #12
Deo

Quote:
If the driver takes no action, I *think* it may also apply the brakes automatically to try to avoid or reduce the severity of the impact.
No, it only does that on the MD.
Quote:
Don't quote me on that though,
Sorry!

Sent from my GTi-9305 using bloody Tapatalk
MC Ink Blue Diesel Hatch
Deo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2016, 10:36 PM   #13
V8kado
Mondeo Titanium Estate

Here are a couple of photos of the Trip Computer when I arrived home.
Remember filled up at Airport West Shoppingtown, drove 684.4km to Queanbeyan (ACT) and still had 511km remaining. That's a possible combined travel distance of 1,195km. Whoa, almost feels like I'm cheating!
Unreal I reckon........Something I've never seen before anyway
Melbourne - Sydney would have been a pinch in one tank no stops.

And 5.8L/100km
If my calculations are correct I used only 39.7L @ $1.05L, so that trip home only cost me around $41

This included the traffic run out onto the ring road heading out of Melbourne.
Old 08-03-2016, 10:43 PM   #14
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good figures.

By the looks of that you were driving at night, how was your Automatic High Beam on / off? You can change the sensitivity through the setting menu.

Was it foggy coming into Canberra?

Also do you not like using the (LDW) Lane Departure Warning system? As you had it switched off.
Old 08-03-2016, 10:56 PM   #15
V8kado
Mondeo Titanium Estate

Quote:
Good figures.

By the looks of that you were driving at night, how was your Automatic High Beam on / off? You can change the sensitivity through the setting menu.

Was it foggy coming into Canberra?

Also do you not like using the (LDW) Lane Departure Warning system? As you had it switched off.
I was actually parked in my driveway as I just got home from the trip. Was at about 6:45pm, so just getting on dusk. I had the lights and driving lights on manual by this stage.
Where I live is semi rural with no street lights with numerous Kangaroos so every bit of light available to me is turned on for a few km's.

I had turned the LDW off for the drive through Canberra City to reach my destination on the other side of town. Definitely had that on for the whole trip home though.

Still not sure how the Auto High Beam work, as I leave for work just before sunrise the last couple of days and I've had to turn High Beam on manually. Haven't had a chance to play with that gadget just yet!
Any tips how it should work?
Old 08-03-2016, 11:05 PM   #16
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Auto High Beam is only active when the lights are in the "AUTO" position...Then go through the setting menus and there is three (3) sensitivity settings. It is only active when at speeds above 40km/h. It actually works very well! I uses the camera (which is also used for the LDW) at the top of the windscreen.

If in doubt, grab your owners manual and start reading!

If you don't have one, send me a PM and I can send you a PDF...
Old 09-03-2016, 12:44 AM   #17
Mondaveo

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8kado View Post
And 5.8L/100km.
You reset the trip computer before you set out from MLB yes?

Quote:
If in doubt, grab your owners manual and start reading!
Have to say, the manual for the MC Mondeo is one of the densest and least comprehensible pieces of literature I've tried to wade through. Just something about the way it's written I find very difficult to assimilate and retain the concepts from. (Still dunno how to use the voice control or make a call from my Bluetoothed phone...)

The fellow I bought my car from evidently felt the same, as he'd kept a copy of the sales brochure (which he gave to me) because as he said, he found it easier to learn about the car's features from that, and refer to the manual only where precise operating or technical details were needed...

Quote:

Last edited by Mondaveo; 09-03-2016 at 12:57 AM.
Old 09-03-2016, 12:12 PM   #18
whitelion65
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Deo,
the MC does brake autonomously.
The first time I experienced it, the wife had a go at me for being a bit hard on the brakes. A car had pulled out on me at highway speed, without the room to do so. I wouldn't have braked, but the Mondy did.

Have also had it happen when changing across multi-lane traffic (quite annoying).
Moondust silver
2016 Focus Trend, 1.5ecoboost, 6sp manual.
Frozen white

Previous
2004 Berlina Wagon (LS1) Vespers Blue
1995 Camry 2.2, white
1971 Ford Fairmont wagon 302w, C4 Polar white
1971 TC Cortina, 2L 4sp, Ermine white
whitelion65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2016, 02:05 PM   #19
Deo

Did you have the Active Cruise Control enabled at the time?

As awesome as the ACC is, that's it's biggest area for improvement - it can be a bit aggressive/late in identifying the need to adjust for other vehicles.

MC Ink Blue Diesel Hatch
Old 09-03-2016, 02:08 PM   #20
whitelion65
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That's the one, Deo.
I've had forward collision warnings plenty of times, as there is right-hand turn-off lane on a left-hand curve on the highway near home. A car in this lane sets it off every time, but has never activated braking.
Moondust silver
2016 Focus Trend, 1.5ecoboost, 6sp manual.
Frozen white

Previous
2004 Berlina Wagon (LS1) Vespers Blue
1995 Camry 2.2, white
1971 Ford Fairmont wagon 302w, C4 Polar white
1971 TC Cortina, 2L 4sp, Ermine white
whitelion65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2016, 02:26 PM   #21
Deo

So yeah it does autonomously brake but AFAIK only to adapt the cruise speed, not an emergency stop by the Forward Alert system.

That's based on all the reviews and marketing guff I've read. I've never tested it but I guess is possible the software was coded to do it but they weren't confident enough to advertise it and risk legal liability.

MC Ink Blue Diesel Hatch
Old 09-03-2016, 05:07 PM   #22
V8kado
Mondeo Titanium Estate

Quote:
You reset the trip computer before you set out from MLB yes?
Yeah mate, that was the first thing I learnt on the side of the road straight after filling.
Old 09-03-2016, 05:19 PM   #23
V8kado
Mondeo Titanium Estate

Well thought I would craw (squeeze) under the front and rear of the car for a bit of a looksy this arvo and was surprised to see what looks to be a bit of a seep from this canister. It is situated at the rear of the car, drivers side, just over the rear sway bar.

Any one know what the canister is, looks like Diesel seep to me coming from it somewhere. Is this normal, just a little paranoid at the moment.

Anyone got any idea what's going on here?
Help....
Old 09-03-2016, 05:45 PM   #24
rondeo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wow what sort of camera you got?

Looks like diesel fuel filter to me. What a photo!

Does it smell like diesel?

No good anyhow.

Last edited by rondeo; 09-03-2016 at 05:51 PM.
rondeo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2016, 05:52 PM   #25
V8kado
Mondeo Titanium Estate

Quote:
Wow what sort of camera you got?

Looks like diesel fuel filter to me. What a photo!

Does it smell like diesel?
Ha, yeah only a phone camera for these few. Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge.
Arm fully stretched out under the car, me wrapped around left rear wheel, using one hand with thumb and pinky to zoom, focus and press the shutter.

It does smell and look like Diesel, although have not noticed any drip on the ground yet.

Should it be leaking/seeping?????
Old 09-03-2016, 05:53 PM   #26
rondeo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Absolutely not.
Old 09-03-2016, 05:53 PM   #27
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes, that is the Diesel Fuel Filter.

That forms part of the "B" Service Schedule; 4yr / 60,000km & 8yr / 120,000km etc...

Was it a Ford Dealer that completed the 120,000km Service?

If so, I would get them (or an affiliate dealer) to rectify this.
Do you have a copy of the service invoice, make sure the Fluid has been changed on the PowerShift also!

Last edited by ope126; 09-03-2016 at 06:04 PM.
ope126 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-03-2016, 06:02 PM   #28
rondeo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Seems to me you need filter housing removed and inspected, leaky seal on drain or main filter seal. Not as bad as stalling?
Old 09-03-2016, 06:38 PM   #29
V8kado
Mondeo Titanium Estate

Has been serviced by a Ford Dealer it's whole life. And yes the 'B 120,000km' service was complete 6months ago.
It was a condition of my purchase that this major service was completed already.

Only thing is Etheridge Ford is only 7hrs away!
Old 09-03-2016, 06:43 PM   #30
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just contact them, quote the rego or VIN and they should be able to tell you what has been done / completed.