Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 27-06-2023, 10:13 PM   #1
EBSXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default NBN FTTP Upgrades

I thought this maybe of Interest.

This is a link to the Suburbs and Towns that will be getting a FTTP upgrade between Now and 2025.

https://techau.com.au/here-is-the-fu...-now-and-2025/
EBSXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 27-06-2023, 11:16 PM   #2
1970XW351
Angry Dub Driver

Default Re: NBN FTTP Upgrades

Only two and a half years away...
1970XW351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2023, 12:33 AM   #3
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interesting... Upgrades to my suburb apparently began in Feb 2023. But I haven't seen anyone digging and it seems my address is ineligible for any upgrades.

That said, i'm not sure what all the fuss about FTTP is.

We connect at 44/11 and can run 2 concurrent 4K streams while browsing the net on a couple of mobile devices and a computer.

Downloading big files I'm punching 4.8 to 5Mb/sec. Gets me an hour TV episode in under 1 min.
arm79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2023, 01:08 AM   #4
EBSXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by arm79 View Post
Interesting... Upgrades to my suburb apparently began in Feb 2023. But I haven't seen anyone digging and it seems my address is ineligible for any upgrades.

We connect at 44/11 and can run 2 concurrent 4K streams while browsing the net on a couple of mobile devices and a computer.

Downloading big files I'm punching 4.8 to 5Mb/sec. Gets me an hour TV episode in under 1 min.
Some connections are pretty bad.
A mate lives in Country Vic and had FTTN.
He switched to Starlink well worth the extra he told me. His town according to the list is due to be upgraded December this year.
I don't know if he will switch back to the NBN.
EBSXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 28-06-2023, 09:15 AM   #5
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

December 2025....
Old 28-06-2023, 12:21 PM   #6
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Not at 4k it doesnt. A 1hr 4k rip is around 8Gb, that's going to take 25-30min.

I got the upgrade late last year. I can download an entire season of a 4k show in that amount of time now.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2023, 11:18 PM   #7
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
Not at 4k it doesnt. A 1hr 4k rip is around 8Gb, that's going to take 25-30min.

I got the upgrade late last year. I can download an entire season of a 4k show in that amount of time now.
A 1080p version in x265, 150 to 250mb is size is more than sufficient. We cant tell the difference between 1080p and 4k on our TV's. Not enough to warrant the bother of downloading massive files.
Old 28-06-2023, 11:45 PM   #8
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I understand where you're coming from, I persisted with a 720p TV for a while because the improvement with 1080p was only marginal. But to my eye, there is a noticeable gain going to 4k, particularly when viewing HDR (which isnt supported in anything less than 4k). However, it's only in the last 3-4 years that producers have started to really exploit 4k/HDR cinematography with the sort of regularity that justifies spending extra on a connection that facilitates downloading this sort of content exclusively.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2023, 08:48 PM   #9
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

wow! we're in there. didn't expect that for a little out of the way seaside town miles from Geelong! Dec 2024
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2023, 01:24 PM   #10
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

You don't appreciate how far behind we are until you've been to places where people keep up with technology. Could not believe the speed and instantaneous response I was getting when I was in HK....that was like in 2016, and is still infinitely better than what we have here now. With FTTN I think the performance you get will largely depend on how many people are on the node and how they use it. The node is the bottle beck. Bandwitdh is just half the story, the other one is latency. I'm surprised you are happy with 44/11.

The other thing is, a connectivity is only as fast as the slowest point. We don't want to be the bottleneck when communicating with the rest of the world.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2023, 11:21 PM   #11
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
You don't appreciate how far behind we are until you've been to places where people keep up with technology...

Bandwitdh is just half the story, the other one is latency. I'm surprised you are happy with 44/11.
I think this is where the subjective part of it comes into it.

It does everything we want with it without missing a beat. As I said, a couple of simultaneous 4K Netflix streams and browsing/Facebook on 2 or 3 mobile devices at the same time. I don't sit there any constantly complain about how **** our internet it.

If I download a 10Gb file, would I like it to be faster... Yes... But I do that maybe once every 3 to 6 months. And I leave it go while I'm working or going out shopping.

Ping times are are generally between 10 and 15ms to Brisbane as well.

If they upgraded the area to FTTP and offered 100Mbps or 1Gb connections for $20 a month or $50 a month more I'd sit there and question the need to upgrade.

And to make matters more interesting, we are about 1100m give or take from the node as far as I know.
Old 30-06-2023, 11:22 PM   #12
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
I understand where you're coming from, I persisted with a 720p TV for a while because the improvement with 1080p was only marginal. But to my eye, there is a noticeable gain going to 4k, particularly when viewing HDR (which isnt supported in anything less than 4k).
One of the things we've been fortunate with is being about to buy some good high end Sony LCD TVs in the last 2/3 years. Their upscaling and image remastering is second to none. It's amazing the things it can do with relatively poor source imaging.

So for us a 720p or 1080p x265 download gives exceptional results. Although I do go to the effort of securing 4K HDR content specifically for the HDR aspect for some movie I'm itching to see and I want to see it at its best.

Even then its super over the top exceptional to watch for us. Maybe I need to watch a proper uncompressed 4K Bluray to get the full experience.
Old 01-07-2023, 12:39 AM   #13
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have been on NBN FTTN and have little dramas with it but I have no idea how the FTTP upgrades work.

TPG are not listed but insist they are and there is a lot of confusion about it.

I would sign up for a faster plan if they can deliver. I have the NBN node and the exchange on the same street.

FTTC is literally on the other side of the street
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2023, 07:44 PM   #14
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If one ever needed a lesson or reminder why our network is so yesterday, just try to stream the world cup on 7 now. It can barely cope!

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2023, 11:19 PM   #15
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
If one ever needed a lesson or reminder why our network is so yesterday, just try to stream the world cup on 7 now. It can barely cope!
Or maybe its a sign that not even the NBN likes soccer.
This user likes this post: