Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 30-05-2023, 03:59 PM   #1
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Selling items and getting them to sell

Hi everyone

Not sure where to send this to but was just wondering about making money on side.

Wanting to sell stuff on ebay and gumtree and marketplace and was wondering how to get items to sell fast when stating postage only.

Usually sell things that are easy to post but some stuff seems to take forever to sell if it even sells.

What are some tips to get your items to sell fast.

Sometimes sell clothing, sometimes small appliances, sometimes other stuff but to give you a idea it’s just treasures which could be anything that you are able to sell online.

May look to start a buy resell and sell online and sometimes do it to try get quick $50/$100 here and there.

How do you get your items to sell fast.

Thanks
car10002 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2023, 04:13 PM   #2
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

Default Re: Selling items and getting them to sell

Good ads, good pics, good description and price accordingly.
This user likes this post:
Old 30-05-2023, 04:17 PM   #3
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mont5.0 View Post
Good ads, good pics, good description and price accordingly.
Already tried that

Will try again some stuff seems to take forever to sell if at all

Where are other good places to sell online
Old 30-05-2023, 04:21 PM   #4
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What items sell fastest that’s easy to post
Old 30-05-2023, 04:35 PM   #5
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Also how do you have somewhere and where can you sell items if you can’t have a garage sale at your house
Old 30-05-2023, 05:05 PM   #6
mad2
Regular...with metamusal
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by car10002 View Post
Already tried that

sometimes items take ages to sell coz the 'right person' hasn't seen the add. have seen items on ebay pop up again and again .... then sell. don't go ebay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by car10002

how long is a piece of string? .. hard to say what items sell fastest as it does 'vary' at times .. easiest to post would be small, light & non-fragile items.
mad2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-05-2023, 05:44 PM   #7
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad2 View Post
how long is a piece of string? .. hard to say what items sell fastest as it does 'vary' at times .. easiest to post would be small, light & non-fragile items.
Worked part time in a bike shop moons ago once, although we sold bikes at a good rate the owners biggest selling item at the time were Yoho diabolo....go figure.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-05-2023, 05:44 PM   #8
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Already tried that

Your local online marketplace or buy swap and sell site on Facebook
Old 30-05-2023, 10:29 PM   #9
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

Arrow Re: Selling items and getting them to sell

You say you want to make a quick 50-100.
What kinda items we talking about here?
Old 01-06-2023, 10:01 AM   #10
deankdx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

there's probably THOUSANDS if not Millions of Sellers/flippers video channels on youtube on HOW to make money selling on ebay

this is one channel i follow, He recently hired this young lady to help in his own ebay business because he's turning over heaps of stuff, but has started a playlist about 5 weeks ago so one week left for this series most likely. WE STARTED AN EBAY STORE FROM SCRATCH

now, there's apps he's covered in the previous issues to check items that have sold before, and for what price.
but he's often quoting best prices where you might not get that high price again, due to only one person wanted it, condition, economy (many people struggling to make ends meet lately won't be spending as often)

most of the ebay tips in the series could easily transfer to facebook marketplace, or gumtree for pick up items.
just remember that ebay is expensive to sell on, i reckon by the time you include going to post office with fuel etc ebay is probably 20% sales fee, where facebook is free if you can get the same buyer.
why not do pick up or local delivery? probably isn't many local buyers where you are anyway though.

this guy's items he focusses on are not what i am interested in. (baseball caps he knows the value of, running shoes and footy boots, DVDs and games and toys mainly)
i don't know the brands or values of them. you need to be an expert in whatever you are selling. and be able to sell them for decent profit to make it worthwhile.
a lot of stuff i've been selling i'm just trying to get rid of things i no longer need that may have got thrown out in the past and often is thrown out (most people don't have time to list things and deal with the post/pick up) at the right price any junk would probably sell.

Xbox/PS1 etc games can be something that can be picked up cheap, don't take up much space and sell for quite a bit though if the right one (condition and title if it's sought after)

I've bought some tools lately for cheap and free off Marketplace (DeWalt 18v drill with chuck buggered, another with trigger switch issue and 1/4" rattle gun with issues in it's bit holder. and noisy 240v power drill $40 the lot) i swapped the chuck on the drills so that drill is already worth more than the $40 i paid, i sold the 1/4" rattle gun to a mate for $20 after unsticking the bit holder (they use these tools industrially and it was full of dust/glue gunk)
drills etc are fairly small for posting, i had to order a Makita to DeWalt battery adapter to test them though as i only have Makita batteries. also got an adapter for Ryobi one +
cash converters online are often cheap to buy things when they have sales, I haven't tried flipping anything yet from them because i've got enough crap to get rid of from my own stash.

basically, you need to be selling stuff that people want to buy. what is that?
that's what you need to find out. then work out if you can find it cheap enough to sell for profit without taking up much space at home.

in the series below, the young lady has limited space, and she's been advised to list 3 items per day on her ebay store forever. 3 items a day = 21 items a week which is 1,092 items a year. obviously having lots of stuff listed has a higher chance of a sale than 10items on there and waiting. I've now started to take note of which storage tub i have the item so i can find it, and worked out if it's going in a box or a prepaid satchel before it sells.
if you ask 100 people for a list of 10 items they would buy on ebay or what they think would sell i bet you'd get almost none of the same answers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRCH...DHRC9PJTfevjed
deankdx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 23-06-2023, 04:00 PM   #11
deankdx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
have you watched that video series i linked in the previous post yet?

useless fact. The First Item Listed on eBay was a Broken Laser Pointer
Old 09-07-2023, 01:02 PM   #12
deankdx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by deankdx View Post
there's probably THOUSANDS if not Millions of Sellers/flippers video channels on youtube on HOW to make money selling on ebay

this is one channel i follow, He recently hired this young lady to help in his own ebay business because he's turning over heaps of stuff, but has started a playlist about 5 weeks ago so one week left for this series most likely. WE STARTED AN EBAY STORE FROM SCRATCH
If anyone else does ebay selling and reading this thread.

I took the Aussie Flipper (link above) advice on "promoted listings at 3%" and it resulted in 3 sales in a week of old ads that were not sold in 3 months,

the catch is, it was coming up as "trending amount" 11% and such whenever i clicked on promote listing(not paying that much)
but you can change that (not sure what 2% would do or 4% and so on, assume move it up or down the queue if there were other listings similar. )

this is an option on Facebook also, but i'm not sure i want to try it there yet. let Me know if you have tried promoted listings on facebook and got a result though.
Old 09-07-2023, 01:18 PM   #13
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by deankdx View Post
If anyone else does ebay selling and reading this thread.

I took the Aussie Flipper (link above) advice on "promoted listings at 3%" and it resulted in 3 sales in a week of old ads that were not sold in 3 months,

the catch is, it was coming up as "trending amount" 11% and such whenever i clicked on promote listing(not paying that much)
but you can change that (not sure what 2% would do or 4% and so on, assume move it up or down the queue if there were other listings similar. )

this is an option on Facebook also, but i'm not sure i want to try it there yet. let Me know if you have tried promoted listings on facebook and got a result though.
Hi deankdx. I watched that link you posted and found it interesting. Thanks.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2023, 03:00 PM   #14
deankdx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
what's the update 7 weeks after this post?

have you watched that series?
did you re read this thread and try any things in it?
what did work?
what didn't work?
what will you try next?

are you following this channel to learn about youtube?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBGhLUGaCX4
Old 01-08-2023, 04:28 PM   #15
deankdx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

another thing for people following this thread also.

is scammers.
this is another channel that can be helpful for what can be bought and resold for a profit.

covering recent scams
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHJyIegtjVU