Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 26-02-2022, 12:24 PM   #31
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Default Re: Russia v Ukraine

Well karma is alive and well at the UN Security Council

Russia assumed its place by replacing the USSR. Some were of the view that Russia should have applied to join the Security Council as any new nation. But nothing was done.

It gets worse.

Russia is one of 5 nations that have the power of veto, and they used it against a motion from Ukraine that Russia should stop the invasion.

The UN should ditch its "New World Order" plans and confine itself to saving the planet, you know, the great moral challenge of our generation.

What's a stoush between countries compared to that?
5 users like this post:
Old 26-02-2022, 12:38 PM   #32
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post
If you want an example of how much Ukraine will fight, take the example of Zmiinyi Island. If reports are true, they had no chance in hell and still told Russia to get ****ed. They are all dead now rather than surrender.
With no help from any other countries the thought of living under "occupation" from Russia will be daunting to say the least, just imagine the persecution the population will suffer under Russian Rule.
7 users like this post:
Old 26-02-2022, 12:47 PM   #33
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav View Post
Well karma is alive and well at the UN Security Council

Russia assumed its place by replacing the USSR. Some were of the view that Russia should have applied to join the Security Council as any new nation. But nothing was done.

It gets worse.

Russia is one of 5 nations that have the power of veto, and they used it against a motion from Ukraine that Russia should stop the invasion.

The UN should ditch its "New World Order" plans and confine itself to saving the planet, you know, the great moral challenge of our generation.

What's a stoush between countries compared to that?
The UN should be disbanded, they have caused more harm than good in this world.
5 users like this post:
Old 26-02-2022, 02:07 PM   #34
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Probably a beat up, but who knows what the next move will be
https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/head-of...hina-1.5795102

No chance it'll be dropped on Chyna id imagne.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
Old 26-02-2022, 06:17 PM   #35
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Starting to look like this will go the distance. Ukrainians digging in for some good old house to house fighting. I wonder how long before the Russian people realise that their leaders have led the nation to their new Afghanistan?

The body bags will bring it home I reckon.
Old 26-02-2022, 07:07 PM   #36
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
Starting to look like this will go the distance. Ukrainians digging in for some good old house to house fighting. I wonder how long before the Russian people realise that their leaders have led the nation to their new Afghanistan?

They arnt even collecting the dead bodies.
Dead Russians are still where they fell.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
Old 26-02-2022, 07:32 PM   #37
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Quote:
Starting to look like this will go the distance. Ukrainians digging in for some good old house to house fighting.
Old 26-02-2022, 07:46 PM   #38
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:

“Ukrainian Heroes of the island of Zmiinyi”

“This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed and unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you’ll be bombed,” the Russians said.

The Ukrainian response was simple, and powerful: “Russian warship, go f*ck yourself”.

These Ukrainian heroes defending their homeland were then all murdered by the Russians.
4 users like this post:
Old 26-02-2022, 07:49 PM   #39
yakcam
I drank what?

Wow! Russia has apparently threatened Sweden and Finland could face military repercussions if they join NATO too. Yikes, this could get a whole lot bigger.

Last edited by yakcam; 26-02-2022 at 08:10 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 26-02-2022, 07:53 PM   #40
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakcam View Post
Wow! Russia has apparently threatened Sweden and Finland could face military percussions if they join NATO too. Yikes, this could get a whole lot bigger.

2 users like this post:
Old 26-02-2022, 08:02 PM   #41
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakcam View Post
Wow! Russia has apparently threatened Sweden and Finland could face military percussions if they join NATO too. Yikes, this could get a whole lot bigger.
Sweden and Finland should do a big FU and apply for NATO membership.
2 users like this post:
Old 26-02-2022, 08:05 PM   #42
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav View Post
Who will risk their lives in the name of their country these days?
Even if I wanted to I couldn't because I'm unvaccinated and can't travel.

I sure hope all the troops on the opposing borders are socially distancing and wearing masks.

And just like that Putin cured covid.
6 users like this post:
Old 26-02-2022, 08:08 PM   #43
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
They may be drumming, but they are conscripts that get paid a few rubles per day.

Russia has a GDP about the same as Italy, Australia will have a bigger GDP than Russia next year.

If the leaders of the free world were serious they could crush Russia’s economy.
This user likes this post:
Old 26-02-2022, 08:23 PM   #44
yakcam
I drank what?

Quote:
OMG, how embarrassment
Old 26-02-2022, 10:09 PM   #45
zilo
BANNED

Been watching this unfold and I have made up my mind.

I am on the side of the Russians.

NATO expansion means US missile bases in striking distance of Moscow.
Ukraine definitely want to join NATO and Putin knows it.

No bloody way i would let a nuclear capable country put their bases in a foreign country near my country to have first strike cxapability.

Now where have I seen this before and the current leader of the free world threatened to send the world into a full blown nuclear war?

The Russians put a missile base in Cuba ....no different to Americans putting bases in Ukraine, Poland and more.

Uncomforable reality for some people but NATO means American Nuclear umbrella, specifically aimed at Russia....and a setup of a war theatre nowhere near America.

As others have mentioned we have been molded into soft coks who are progressively emasculated with left wing fringe group interests who strut around with Iphones in their ear thinking essential oils will fix everything.

(It's the red triangle with exclamation mark on the left)
Old 26-02-2022, 10:47 PM   #46
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post

Well, this should take the heat off me for a while..
7 users like this post:
Old 26-02-2022, 11:19 PM   #47
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Which is different to Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania how exactly? The proximity argument doesnt really wash - none of them harbour any nuclear missiles.

What Russia doesnt want is the entirety of its bordering nations to be allied against it, hence their threats against Finland and Sweden. Except their actions against Ukraine will almost certainly prompt them both to join.
2 users like this post:
Old 26-02-2022, 11:23 PM   #48
sixman

Quote:

No bloody way i would let a nuclear capable country put their bases in a foreign country near my country to have first strike cxapability.

Now where have I seen this before and the current leader of the free world threatened to send the world into a full blown nuclear war?

The Russians put a missile base in Cuba ....no different to Americans putting bases in Ukraine, Poland and more.

Uncomforable reality for some people but NATO means American Nuclear umbrella, specifically aimed at Russia....and a setup of a war theatre nowhere near America.

As others have mentioned we have been molded into soft coks who are progressively emasculated with left wing fringe group interests who strut around with Iphones in their ear thinking essential oils will fix everything.
Some of you guys watch way too much fox/cnn. Laatvia and Estonia are allready part of Nato (since 2004) and just as close to Moscow as Ukraine. No missile bases in either and likely never will be, but are protected by Nato defence treaty and hence under no threat from Putin. Its not fear of Nato thats driving the invasion, rather empire rebuilding.

This left - right crap is being planted/harnessed by Russian/Chinese hackers and infiltrators. No better way to destabilise an enemy than getting them to fall apart and and squabble internally. Look at the USA currently, dont need that crap here.
Rear tyres: Toyo R888 265-30-19
3.5inch custom exhaust with imitation stock tip, PW Stage 2 cooler (black), ID 1000, XCAL3, Plazmaman intake, Herrod Spark Booster
BorgWarner EFR 9174
Autotech 420rwkw
Old 26-02-2022, 11:25 PM   #49
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So sad seeing those who were barracking for the fight now sitting on the sidelines graciously feeding aid, weapons and loans $$$$$$

Not taking any sides cos I don't know enough about the history and context, and I'm aware we only get fed a very one sided narrative. But I do know, if you keep encircling countries with military, there will only be one outcome.

Hoping this ends quickly and a truce is negotiated.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
2 users like this post:
Old 26-02-2022, 11:35 PM   #50
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixman View Post
. Its not fear of nato thats driving the invasion, rather empire rebuilding.

ecxactly..
Old 27-02-2022, 12:07 AM   #51
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

All this dogma about Putin not wanting Ukraine to join Nato etc is smoke and mirrors.

Nato is DEFENSIVE, and Nato had not agreed to Ukraine joining Nato. Further, as others pointed out, other bordering Nato members do not have nukes on their territory.

What Putin is concerned about is his grip on power in Russia, and a belated late middle age crisis-wants to expand his Legacy to expand Russia to a former glory (and by doing this keep his iron fist hold on power in Russia).

Putin saw how Ukraine has been developing under democracy and was becoming a vibrant open society (and the economy was flourishing).

He did not want that those winds of social and political change sweeping over from Ukraine into Russia and putting his power grip at risk.

So he confected this Nato concern and chose the moment (Biden's diabolical withdrawal from Afghanistan) and his perceived weakness in Biden to strike-hell Biden said he would not put boots on ground in Ukraine-what further invite did Putin need (Biden should have never have disclosed that fact and should have played poker by amassing Nato troops in Nato countries around Ukraine to keep Putin guessing and keep Putin unsettled and wrong footed).

All I know is that Putin and Lapdog rov have proven beyond any doubt that they are deceptive, fabricate state of affairs, and are liars- saying they were only doing military exercises and had no intention to invade Ukraine.

I feel so sorry for Ukraine, but also for the poor foot soldier Russians who were ordered in -many who will not be returning. Putin has total disregard and disdain for Russian and Ukrainan lives when his self interest of retaining power in Russia is called into question.

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender

Last edited by asagaai; 27-02-2022 at 12:19 AM.
Old 27-02-2022, 02:50 AM   #52
stock1991
Limited supply

the whole pandemic is a regime change
Old 27-02-2022, 06:49 AM   #53
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
Some of you guys watch way too much fox/cnn. Laatvia and Estonia are allready part of Nato (since 2004) and just as close to Moscow as Ukraine. No missile bases in either and likely never will be, but are protected by Nato defence treaty and hence under no threat from Putin. Its not fear of Nato thats driving the invasion, rather empire rebuilding.

This left - right crap is being planted/harnessed by Russian/Chinese hackers and infiltrators. No better way to destabilise an enemy than getting them to fall apart and and squabble internally. Look at the USA currently, dont need that crap here.
and like that Zilo was gone - facts are interesting aren't they, so much better than conspiracy theories
Old 27-02-2022, 08:49 AM   #54
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Its not fear of Nato thats driving the invasion, rather empire rebuilding.
This.
Its seems its about 'trying' to reclaim territories lost in the cold war with the break up of the former USSR
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels

Last edited by DJM83; 27-02-2022 at 08:56 AM.
2 users like this post:
Old 27-02-2022, 08:51 AM   #55
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:

Ukraine had nuclear weapons. They got rid of them in the 90s.

Not surprised at your thoughts on this. It's the new Ivermectin, you'll have plenty of friends soon who are now experts in international relations after doing their own research.
Old 27-02-2022, 09:40 AM   #56
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

It’s horribly ironic that this assault is being prosecuted in the name of preventing genocide.

That term is ascribed to a Ukrainian who coined it to summarise the Holodomor.

I urge anyone unfamiliar with this historical episode to research it.
Old 27-02-2022, 10:08 AM   #57
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
So sad seeing those who were barracking for the fight now sitting on the sidelines graciously feeding aid, weapons and loans $$$$$$

Yep....

(It's the red triangle with exclamation mark on the left)
Old 27-02-2022, 10:27 AM   #58
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Germany looks like it is now completely freezing Putins assets They need to break the back of the Russian economy.The Russian rouble is dropping in value also.This will also stop Putin from getting much needed funds for his military.Aeroflot cannot fly into the UK,ALL private jets owned by Russian individuals cannot fly into the UK @ all.Aeroflot has also been banned from Polish airspace.Putin has made a massive error of judgment on this ‘invasion’.

Last edited by hackney; 27-02-2022 at 10:40 AM.
Old 27-02-2022, 10:42 AM   #59
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

I shouldn't have to but here is a reminder that regardless of what you think of the views held by an individual, insults of a personal nature won't be tolerated.

Observatio Facta Rotae

3 users like this post:
Old 27-02-2022, 10:44 AM   #60
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Do you not understand,that he wants to go back to the ‘old style Soviet system’?He wants complete & utter control over all of Ukraine & its people.If he gets his way,it will be like an old style Soviet dictatorship/leadership.
Closed Thread