Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-10-2015, 08:30 PM   #1
Eaturbo
BUILT FORD TUFF

Default Countdown to the Falcons emotional end, share your feelings here

Well as we enter the beginning of the end for the Falcon with the month that marks 12 months till we lose our Beloved Falcon. With maybe another 5000 cars left too build, every single Falcon built from here in is actually part of history and becomes part of the last few Falcons to be built. Share your emotions and stories here of how Falcons have been part of and changed your life. Those times when you first drove your newly acquired Falcon wether it be new or old. Those times where you overtook a big line of cars and thought man if I was in any other car I might not have made it or even attempted such as pass. Those times when for some reason you did something in your Falcon which just left a big stupid smile on your face. For some of us that don't own a Falcon at present, they will always have a place in our heart.

Here's to a car that was and always will be truly Australian, that pushed the boundaries both here and globally. That introduced Australians to engineering that still hasn't been bettered in some areas. That gave us world class engines and broke world records. To a car that gave us pride and created mateship

To the people out there who made it happen and went above and beyond there job description. To the guys that were brave enough to go out on a limb and try something different be it design or engineering. To the guys like Howard Marsden and Geoff Polites that truly believed we could do it. To all you guys we will forever owe you.

All Hail the mighty Falcon you will be gone but not forgotten RIP
Old 02-10-2015, 08:41 PM   #2
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Countdown to the Falcons emotional end, share your feelings here

I have owned..XC 500..XD GL..EF Wagon ..XF..AU series 3 Fairmont Wagon V8..,Fairlane....I own a BF Mk2 Ghia..Falcons have taken me and my family from Perth to Rockhampton and back several times..never missed a beat...RIP....

Last edited by csv8; 02-10-2015 at 08:46 PM.
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 02-10-2015, 08:44 PM   #3
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For me, its not just the end of an iconic model.
It's also the end of the "Australian RWD Saloon" which has apparently ended up being a unique car, despite its US ancestry.
It's also the end of auto manufacturing in Aus (as Holden and Toyota follow suit.)
Which unfortunately is symptomatic of the death of manufacturing in Australia, which just leaves me sad for the future.
8 users like this post:
Old 02-10-2015, 09:31 PM   #4
Uncle Tone
Ploppy pants

I remember back when every sales rep and company employee drove a Falcon.

What happened to that? What changed?

Now it's all imported dual cab Utes.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:48 PM   #5
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I love my custom ordered red FGII Column shift EcoLpi Falcon ute.

We have Colorados and Rangers at work and the Falcon is in another league in terms of handling, ride, performance and are bloody bargains brand new.

Every household should have a Falcon ute.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2015, 10:05 PM   #6
XRtowcar
Mustang GT mmmmmm......

Really having a hard time liking the FGX for some reason.
Don't know whether I'm just over big sedans, or the looks of the car put me off.
And I am also unsure of the quality of the new cars.
My BA is the most reliable car I have ever owned.
Still going like a train after 12 years.
Guess I have twelve months to decide to get the last one.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:25 PM   #7
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

With the Aussie dollar heading on the way down old PM wing nut may of done the wrong thing in letting the Aussie car industry go.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2015, 10:46 PM   #8
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Tone View Post
I remember back when every sales rep and company employee drove a Falcon.

What happened to that? What changed?

Now it's all imported dual cab Utes.
I'm old enough to know what happened, I was also one of those reps in Aussie companies that drove big Aussie company cars like the Falcons and commodores.
I can remember the days when sales reps and company execs would not be seen dead driving a Japanese or small Korean car. I knew people who would even turn down changing jobs and companies if their package did not include a Ford or Holden.

So what happened? What changed the above attitudes?
Well basically there were three main reasons people moved away from Aussie built cars in companies..... But first you need to understand the attitudes of the social generations from "The Silent generation", "The baby boomers" though to the X and Y generations now old enough to drive a car.

"The Silent Generation" - Those that were born from 1925 until 1942. Including some who fought in World War II, most of those who fought the Korean War and many during the Vietnam War. This generation fought and stood up for Australia, they would not be seen driving or owning Japanese or Korean products.... If you were a true blue Aussie, you had to be seen in a Holden or Ford not a product made by a race that put your grand parents in prisoner of war camps and tortured and scared them mentally for life.

Then the baby boomers.... Those born after the second world war to the early sixties.... Who were influenced by the upbringing of their silent generation Holden , Ford driving parents. And often their first car, was the "pass me down" older Falcon, Kingswood, Commodore, etc.

By the time the X and Y generations came along and were old enough to buy cars of their own, the second world war, Korean war and Vietnam was largely forgotten by a generation that never experienced the Asian and south pacific wars and such Aussie patriotism. Japanese cars gained in popularity and with quality, even surpassing the locally produced product. The Internet and advances in technology opened the world and the eyes of these younger generations.... Australia was no longer an Island isolated and protected from the rest of the world.... We had to become globally competititve with overseas manufacturing, and imported products flooded in, giving so much choice to the consumer.

So the three main reasons that changed company employees and reps getting Aussie built cars were the following;

1. The X and Y sales rep generation, did not want to drive the cars their parents and grand parents drove.... They wanted to be different, and went for imported cars, often seen as a status symbol and a step above the aussie cars in social circles, quality and resale value.

2..... And this was the big "game changer"..... Companies instead of providing as many company owned cars to sales reps, gave reps the choice and allowed "salary sacrificing" and the "novated lease" was born. Sales reps started to realise that if they were going to own the car, it made better financial sense to purchase a Euro or Japanese car, for quality, features, and eventual resale value.... Even if the Falcon / Commodore was the better long range "highway cruiser", and comfortable ride for the many miles a sales rep had to cover.

3. With rising fuel costs, couples having less kids (than previous generations), roads becoming busier with traffic, harder city parking.... The younger generations opted for smaller compact cars, and Ford and Holden never competed well against the imports in the smaller car categories.

So there you have the main underlying reasons why Falcons in particular died as company cars.
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2015, 11:01 PM   #9
Ford Falcon XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I guess being 22 i'm from the generation that forgot Aussie cars. Neither of my parents are interested in cars but somehow I became nuts about falcons. It's part of Australian history and that nameplate has a hell of a lot to be proud of. I'll always have a falcon in my garage till the day I die.
Ford Falcon XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2015, 11:22 PM   #10
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 

I still feel a sense of betrayal to some degree, unfortunately it has become inevitable thanks to the direction cars, and car taste has gone. I'm just the unlucky Y Gen Falcon lover who has to see it go.

I even regret that my 4 year old boy and soon to be adopted daughter will not get that same feeling of sitting at the controls of the family Falcon for the first time on their L's (will still strive to keep one, but it wont be a daily sadly).

My life (and my Mum's)was saved by the strength of a (XD) Falcon in an horrific accident in the early to mid 90's. The words I will never forget on that day were from a veteran Ambo who walked up to me as my mother was being put into the back of the ambulance... he said "If you two were in ANY other car, your Mum would not be alive and you would probably be in the back of the ambulance heading to hospital right now". And you could tell he believed every word of it.

I remember the day I saw my first car for sale on the side of the road. Even though I had my sights firmly set on a EB Fairmont (which I could not afford), this ol burgandy XE grabbed my attention from that day until the day I bought it... 2 days later! I still regret selling it to my good mate... and 2 weeks later it was written off by some woman in a VS wagon whilst talking on her phone!

I remember the day I finally convinced my then employer to switch from Commodore company cars to Falcons at the launch of the BA, and the day I took delivery of a fully spec'd up BA XR6 in Acid Rush. I was in love, sure the colour was not any shade of blue (which is my favourite), but the lines on the inside and outside just melted me. I remember every single Falcon with huge fond memories, every single one has been with me in my significant moments. First car, first girlfriend (I am picky), moving away from home, meeting my wife, first management position, only house we have bought, first child, first director position, first time living overseas (still owning the Phoon counts right?). And still more to come...

A Falcon is as much a part of my family as any pet or family heirloom.

And if nothing else, it's the only model that I fit comfortably in at my height apart from the Commodore, but again we loose that too.

Now living in a country that refelcts what Australians roads will be filled with in 3-5 years. Its a darn shame.

Falcon will never truly die, cause it's as Aussie as you or I.

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Mr Brooksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2015, 11:36 PM   #11
Ippy289XP
Banned

I have a 65 XP & 05 BF XR8 ute.
In the past I have owned an XY, XD351, XE 6, XF 6.
My wife has Focus(she loves driving my XR8) she wants to sell the Focus and buy a Falcon.
She may get a very nice Xmas(FGX)

Long live the Falcon.
Ippy289XP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2015, 11:42 PM   #12
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

22 here too. Would buy Aussie any day except they rust and electrics crap out. I have a fairlane that needs tonnes of work. My jap car however is just amazing. But hey, different manufacturer budgets. However. The older generation Falcons felt more solid, were simpler (less to go wrong) and looked way better (fgx is a joke to me). Wouldn't touch em. My 94 Fairlane has at least 5 computers in it (already way too much) and I hate electrics so much. They used to be totally different to what we get these days. I miss my XF and I love my NC but it's packed with electrics that aren't too great at this point however it feels very solid compared to any of the newer Falcons I've driven/owned.
So it's not a generational thing entirely!

I have mourned Falcon already. Goodbye and so long.

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2015, 11:54 PM   #13
Falcon56
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Falcon XR6 View Post
I guess being 22 i'm from the generation that forgot Aussie cars. Neither of my parents are interested in cars but somehow I became nuts about falcons. It's part of Australian history and that nameplate has a hell of a lot to be proud of. I'll always have a falcon in my garage till the day I die.
To continue this theme, I'm 21 now and there are two factors that I reckon inspired my passion for all things Falcon (a passion that most of my friends just don't seem to understand).

Factor 1 is my cousin, who is ~20 years older than me, and also loves his Fords. I went to his wedding when I was about 8 and all the wedding cars were XW/XY Falcons. He also owned a brand new BA XR6 Turbo and to my young eyes it was the coolest car ever, especially after he floored it down the highway with me in the passenger seat! He also owned (and still does own) a BA GT.

Factor 2 was watching V8 Supercars. I can't remember whether I started watching them before or after I went to that wedding and experienced the XR6T, but either way it was the supercars that really cemented my passion.

Fast forward to the last few years, and my dad (who likes watching the V8s but doesn't really care for Falcodores) bestowed upon me a 2005 Kia Cerato for me to drive on my Ls and Ps.

So I drove that for 4 years, and although you might think that driving such a boring car would destroy all enthusiasm for motoring, the Falcon flame still flickered in the back of my mind. It wasn't until I got a well-paying job (stick that up ya Joe Hockey!) last year that I realised the possibility of buying the car I wanted.

Countless Carsales searches followed while I saved up every dollar I could, and in December last year, just a few days after getting my fulls, I got my hands on The Beast ... my very own XR6T!

What can I say... it's been a very enjoyable 10 months on the road!!!!
Just arrived: XR6 Sprint #259 in Kinetic

Previous ride: 2012 Auto XR6T Limited Edition in Swift Green
Falcon56 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2015, 11:55 PM   #14
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInterceptor View Post
22 here too. Would buy Aussie any day except they rust and electrics crap out. I have a fairlane that needs tonnes of work. My jap car however is just amazing. But hey, different manufacturer budgets. However. The older generation Falcons felt more solid, were simpler (less to go wrong) and looked way better (fgx is a joke to me). Wouldn't touch em. My 94 Fairlane has at least 5 computers in it (already way too much) and I hate electrics so much. They used to be totally different to what we get these days. I miss my XF and I love my NC but it's packed with electrics that aren't too great at this point however it feels very solid compared to any of the newer Falcons I've driven/owned.
So it's not a generational thing entirely!

I have mourned Falcon already. Goodbye and so long.
Your Japanese car is nearly a decade newer so don't be too hard on the Ford especially as Subarus are notorious for cracking heads. Swings and roundabouts.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 03-10-2015, 12:01 AM   #15
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

I had an AU falcon, sold it, and somehow it's in the front yard due for strip and scrap tomorrow. Nothing but problems. Newest falcon in the family was a BFII. Gremlins existed too. Sucks cos when they work they're mint! Best thing to drive long distance.

It's sad but hey..

Also cracking heads is when people don't maintain cooling system. In fords favour, run them with no coolant and they'll still go for a while without blowing up haha.

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2015, 12:13 AM   #16
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

I'd add to the sales rep comments above that even where user chooser wasn't the case, the publics shift from these vehicles drove down retained values. Very quickly Toyota became our company stalwart for company lease vehicles. Flow on effect.

Saddest part for me isn't just Falcon, it's the whole shebang. Every day something disappears that differentiates us from the rest of the planet. Realistically we were lucky to have it this long....we have a lot of automotive history to be proud of for such a small country on both sides of the red and blue fence.

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2015, 12:35 AM   #17
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sad for both Ford and GM, both have contributed to Aus car culture.
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2015, 12:49 AM   #18
Olbucko
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I learnt to drive in a near new XK wagon, I own a restored XM that I have owned for 30 years, I drove a new XP van in my first job, I spent 15 years and 650,000 km in an XE van stuffed with tools, cruised around for a few years in a ZL Fairlane, and had at Territory for the last 8 years.
Early next year I will be buying myself a new FGX XR 6, probably the last new car I will ever have, I will keep it until I am too old and silly to drive any more.
I started in the first Falcon, I'll finish driving in the last one.

No FWD buzz boxes for me.
Old 03-10-2015, 01:01 AM   #19
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by castellan View Post
With the Aussie dollar heading on the way down old PM wing nut may of done the wrong thing in letting the Aussie car industry go.
What I felt when they announced that Falcon production was stopping and the dollar was so high was a feeling of bewilderment. I also felt sure that by the time they stop making them the exchange rate would be shocking and imported cars will be a lot dearer.
paule11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 03-10-2015, 02:01 AM   #20
sleepisforthedead

I was so disappointed when I heard Falcon was to cease production.. but it was a long time coming. Seems GM just had the budget to hold their announcement a little while longer and go with less fan fare. At the time of the announcement I was convinced I'd be buying an FGX G6ET, white with cream leather.. then I saw the front end photos, I didn't like it at first but it grew on me, but once I saw the terra-cotta interior I was out. The sad thing about these Falcons is they're just too quick to drop value, and while I'd love to think that id buy one and keep it forever, the long list of tough and nice cars (most of these Falcons) I've owned for a short while says otherwise.

I started my apprenticeship on BA Falcons after loving them the second I saw their first ad (remember the days.. when Ford Australia spent money!) driving through the mountains "can't get enough of this" playing along in the background I believe. Not long after my Dad bought a BA XR8, blood orange with stripes and drove it straight off the lot to get the muffler replaced with straight pipe.. I was the envy of many at school getting dropped off in that, and hated it when it was traded on a truck!

Being an apprentice and changing bonnet cables and machining brakes and seat trims and door seals.. I was kind of de-sensitized to the aura of a Falcon, like watching your Dad grow older and not be the superhuman you though him to be, but all the same I loved them...

I had an XF wagon as my first car.. bench seats and great for coast trips and fitting spare tyres in the back for skids.. the first car I ever bought myself was an EF Fairmont, it was in great condition and I kept it so, it went through a few phases then dropped out of favor midway through a turbo conversion.. I'd fallen in love with an NL Fairlane that was traded at work, was an old members car from way back when, was cammed and tuned by Chiptorque with pacemakers and blue LED courtesy lights.. they started coming hard and fast from here on in, a perfect condition EB S XR6 in cobalt blue and manual, less than 98ks on it, swapped that for an XE ESP with a 351, that was the first car I ever took to Powercruise, and while the car was a **** tip with dodgy wiring it was loud and I was proud of it, then I bought my XD shell, still have it to this day amassing the parts for a nine second streeter, there was my EF 5l Fairmont that when I went to sell it came up on revs for the grand total of $321 (finance company wiped the debt luckily!) another mint NL Fairlane Ghia, an EL XR8 (always wanted one) and more that I can't remember.. then my first BA came about around five years ago, a Mercury Silver XR6 with premium sound and sports leather, it was the car that moved me from Brisbane to Mt Isa and started the career change that's led me to be as successful as I am.. after writing that car off (only one I ever have luckily) a few more BA's all XR6 Turbos from there on in.. their power was unbeatable dollar for dollar, the last of which with C4, Nizpro manifold, big cooler bla bla bla I've just sold for only $8k.. so for the first time in a long time I'm down to three cars, my XD, my LS1 Courier.. and my latest Ford, purchased brand new last month, a MKii Wildtrak.

People ask why not the Falcon..? Well I don't think the newest have got the aura, and obviously that's horses for courses, but more than that it's a lifestyle choice.. one of my XR6 Turbos towed the Courier to Powercruise last year and while it did it effortlessly, even with such a light load you're always on edge about whatever's in front of you due to the BA's brakes. I've got the race car in the XD and toy car in the Courier and I needed a safe, reliable, comfortable tow rig.

It pained me that I have never bought a brand new Falcon, and now probably never will, but while the Ranger may not have been mass produced here Ford Australia have done a great job with the design and engineering
XD - XE Ghia front, Arrow block - 427ci, Howards billet rods, CHI 225's, Active high rise, Transbraked C4 - full manual reverse pattern valvebody, 9" Strange alloy centre 4.11's & spool, 17x4.5 Drag Stars & 15x10 Weld ProStars, Wilwood Dynalite 4-piston calipers F&R, Calvert Racing split mono-leaf springs Caltracs and adjustable shocks, 90/10's and custom springs up front.. all just an expensive pile of parts in a shed.
sleepisforthedead is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 03-10-2015, 02:14 AM   #21
FERG_51
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

53 Here, where do I start, growing up with dads XY Fairmont v8,we went every where in that car and then experiencing him picking up his first brand new car, 351 manual XC rally pack, you cant beat that new car smell. Watching all those memorable Bathursts with Moffat and co in the XW/XY HO's, the XA/XC era with the 77 1_2 form finish, Dick Johnson the battler against the might of the factory HDT in TRU BLU and GREENS TUFF XD/XE era, and then 94 in the EB, Bright/Richo in the EL and so on right through to the FPR boys the last 2 years. Getting my apprenticeship in 78 with the Ford dealership where dad got his XC from. Always remembering the new models when released, servicing and pre delivering special cars such as XC cobra, XD/XE V8 Ghias and ESP, first V8 EB and XR6, the BA/BF GT's, FG Rspec GT right through to last Thursday where I got to PD the last allocated V8 FGX XR8 to the dealership, [sad day for me I might add] especially as my boss transferred it to another dealer hope the new owner gets to enjoy it. My first car was an XY and ive still got an XY today, my first new car XR50T probably a keeper unless I can find the right GT and my RTV its a keeper. Yeah so Falcon has been part of my life and always will be. My dream, win lotto and start a FALCON museum.

Last edited by FERG_51; 03-10-2015 at 02:24 AM.
FERG_51 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 03-10-2015, 08:16 AM   #22
superyob
Banned

superyob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 03-10-2015, 09:31 AM   #23
PHATAL
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Honestly pretty emotional about the demise of the Falcon. I am half tearing up just reading this thread. Weird I know...... Maybe I have other underlying issues?? Anyway.....

I was doomed to love Fords and in particular Falcons from before I was born. On my Dads side were Ford lovers - Dad had an XA GS 302 sedan - his pride and joy - before I was born and when I was two it was written off - by a drunk Holden driver. As you can imagine my Dad has a hatred of anything Holden which has basically rubbed off on me.

His Brother in law (my uncle) at the time had an XB GT sedan which everyone talks about as being the last ever XB GT. Unfortunately I have no way of researching it though as I don't have a VIN or any real detail on it. Apparently a Doctor bought it from Ford even though production was already well underway on the XC model so it was a custom ordered car. This may be just "one of those Ford stories" but these stories are one of the reasons I love them so much. Just that whole feeling of nostalgia these things bring. Stories like this never get old no matter how many times you hear them over a few drinks and a BBQ.

Dads two brothers also had XB GS coupes I believe.

On my Mums side is not much better. She has a cousin who is fairly well known in the SA GT scene (his son is in Street Machine this month) and he owns every model of GT ever produced plus a lot of other hot fords including XE Dick Johnson Turbo specials as well as the Street Machine give away car XF HO-TO-GO.

Growing up my folks had the XA GS, XD station wagon, EB Fairmont and now BF GT with the 302 cobra motor.

So naturally my first car was always going to be a Ford no matter what. I first saw my first car when I was just 16. I was standing out front of a country pub when this very loud and shiny white ZG Fairlane 351 pulls up next to me. This thing was crazy loud on idle. The guy proceeded to pull a massive burnout in front of the pub and then took off. From that moment on I was in love. Amazingly this thing come up for sale a couple of months later and Dad and I went and bought it for a whole $800!!

I have many many great memories in that Fairlane and that is why I still have it and it is being restored at the moment after a much needed rest. My ownership of that car spans 16 years roughly at this point and I don't see it going anywhere in a hurry.

After I retired my Fairlane I purchased more Fords. XF S pack unleaded EFI 5 speed, EL2 XR8 185kw update which I spent about $30,000 on paint, suspension, brakes, stereo etc etc and then my first ever brand new car - FPV BF2 F6 Rspec limited edition.

At that point a family and house etc come along so I had to end up selling the Rspec and we are now currently in a Territory Titanium petrol. Whilst this is a great car it has nothing on having a nice performance Falcon.

My biggest dilemma is what to get next. We want to get out of the Territory at some point and we would be looking at getting back into a V8 falcon - most likely GT - but sadly they are no more. The second hand market is there obviously but you have to pay more than retail for a decent example that is three years old. So really not sure what I will be in next....

The thing that depresses me the most is that I will never be able to take my son in to a Ford dealership and go "look mate this is a GT falcon. What do you reckon - should we take it for a test drive?". My son being only 3 at the moment will probably never understand what a falcon was or means to his family and the rest of the blue blooded aussies.

RIP Falcon.

XF Falcon S Update EFI - SOLD
EL2 XR8 - SOLD
BF F6 RSPEC #139 - SOLD
Now rocking the SZ Territory Titanium Petrol Family Beast
PHATAL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2015, 10:08 AM   #24
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Yeah i'm sad, more than just a "car" is leaving us.... For many a dear family member is about to go to car heaven... Fond Falcon memories forever!

cheer's, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2015, 11:32 AM   #25
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

I grew up right in the middle of the Ford/Holden rivalry. My Dad had mostly Holdens and always seemed to find any excuse not to buy a Ford (although our farm tractor was a Ford). My Brother had no particular affinity but my Sister is more pro Ford.

In my heyday I had several cars in the XA to XC range. In 2005 after an almost 10 year break from cars I got my Coupe.

At one stage I had a very nice XY GS Fairmont K code but never really felt at home in it. I love the XA to XC range and is my favourite model series.

I would love to get myself an FG-X or Territory as a newie before they depart but the planets just haven't lined up and probably won't. Apart from a renaissance with a BA XR6 the later Fords left me a bit cold. I was a bit put off after having had an EA and ED which were nothing but trouble. Having said that I'd love an EL XR8 in my garage. I also reckon the EB and EL GT's are a good thing.

I like the later FPV's also but again, I just haven't been in a position to buy one and I suspect that will not change.

Once the Falcon and Territory are gone Ford to me will be just another car importer. No more emotional attachment. There will always be Ford in my driving because my Coupe ain't going anywhere!! I will always support Ford at the race track.

I guess I have already done my grieving.

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 03-10-2015, 12:53 PM   #26
Falcman0o7
Banned

In 2030 I will still be driving a bloody falcon!
Falcman0o7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 03-10-2015, 11:01 PM   #27
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcman0o7 View Post
In 2030 I will still be driving a bloody falcon!
It will be a pile of rust by then!
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2015, 11:42 PM   #28
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

People will only realise the benefit of the Australian automotive industry once it is gone.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2015, 03:01 PM   #29
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

We aren't losing a car, we're losing a culture - a loss of culture which has culminated with the loss of sales of our Aussie RWD cars. We're all Ford fans, but Holden was as important to that culture as Fords were. Ford needed Holden as much as Holden needed Ford. Both challenged each other to make each other better, so while it is sad it's also fitting that they be buried next to each other. Then we have the job losses which are REAL life-changing concerns, as opposed to us enthusiasts that just miss out on purchasing a product that we like in the future...
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2015, 03:48 PM   #30
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

^^^Best post in this thread^^^

Spot on!! RIP Aussie car culture.

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post: