Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

View Poll Results: Have you had any problems with your DSG Auto, Focus or Fiesta?
Had a problem now its fixed by the dealer 11 15.71%
More than 1 promblem with still ongoing issues 13 18.57%
More than 2 promblems with still ongoing issues 11 15.71%
3 or more problems with still ongoing issues 13 18.57%
Never had any issues with my DSG Auto 22 31.43%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-01-2014, 10:17 PM   #91
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 2011 Ford Focus Sport, Transmission Shudders :(

these new gearboxes are too risky if you keep a car past warranty It may drive me to cars with the old fluid autos which at least seem more reliable
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2014, 10:45 PM   #92
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marg99 View Post
these new gearboxes are too risky if you keep a car past warranty It may drive me to cars with the old fluid autos which at least seem more reliable
Document all your paper work and trips and complaints and if you have issues after warranty we have good consumer laws in this Country, if a known problem persists and hasn't lasted a reasonable amount of time there is coverage.

======================
I was informed that as of December 2013 the cars being built are having the clutch system built with a change of parts, these are the same parts being used in the rebuilds of the problem cars.
I doubt we would sell ours, we love the car and hopefully the fix will see many MORE years of pleasurable driving.

The word is the Corolla is plagued with trans problems also.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 10-01-2014, 12:07 AM   #93
C0ncrete

Just got back from the dealership where I had a revised clutch installed/replaced in my MII 2012 Focus Sport.

My contact/mechanic advised that the clutches going in now are revised, more specifically there has been work done to the seals. He mentioned that they are leaking fluids which is causing some type of slipping etc.

He did mention that mine did not appear to be leaking.

At any rate, the car is completely different to drive now. I rrrrrreaally have to concentrate hard to get/feel the shuddering. It's drives almost perfect. Within a few weeks I can see myself not even thinking about it or looking for it.

You can still hear the transmission make the awful sounds it does when going around roundabouts etc, but it I doubt that will ever change considering the ways its designed.

So everything reset, new revised clutch. I will continue to monitor.

I had almost learnt to live with the shudder, but the final straw for me was the four separate incidents where the car simply did not go into the next gear when accelerating. Extremely dangerous and nearly caused me to be rear ended. Very scary. Had to limp it home in gears 1/3/5

I did some research and some people mention this was the gear selector rails. I did asked for this to be looked at however the mechanic stated the new clutch should fix that issue also.

We will see, but for the time being I am......"satisfied"
C0ncrete is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2014, 11:06 AM   #94
rooford
Starter Motor

As I reported in earlier posts, I had the dreaded grinding noise coming from the transmission, in my 2012 sport auto which was rectified when a new clutch assembly was installed under warranty, that was 2,000 klm ago, since the new clutch was fitted the gear changes are smooth and silent.
Maybe the new clutch assembly the dealer fitted was one of the new 2013 versions, if this is the case then if any of you are suffering from this problem and the car is still under warranty get it back to the dealer and insist on having them fix it, as it is obviously possible, and you should not be fobbed of with " its normal"
I'm glad I did as I now have a car that is a pleasure to drive, and I am hopeful that should the new clutch have any inherent issues they would have shown up during the 2,000 odd klm traveled since it was installed.
rooford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2014, 11:18 AM   #95
alokin123

I've got an auto Focus Sport 2012 Thailand built purchased in Aug 2012.
Is this problem just happening in manual or auto as well? Because my car has been doing this since I got it. I told them when I got it service last year and they said they reset the computer and the car needs to learn how I drive. It was ok for a bit but has just gotten worse over the last the 6 months. I have done 14000KMs.

Is this the problem:

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=2038685&p=5
alokin123 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2014, 11:42 AM   #96
rooford
Starter Motor

My Focus is the same as yours, same year, auto, built in Thailand.
The shuddering problem which a lot of owners have experienced is different to the grinding noise which happens when you accelerate after a gear change and the gearbox makes a grinding / clanking noise, its like the gears are not engaging properly and the cogs are slipping ( best description I can give) mine never suffered from the shuddering or hesitation problem, but they are two separate issues.
Old 10-01-2014, 12:00 PM   #97
alokin123

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooford View Post
My Focus is the same as yours, same year, auto, built in Thailand.
The shuddering problem which a lot of owners have experienced is different to the grinding noise which happens when you accelerate after a gear change and the gearbox makes a grinding / clanking noise, its like the gears are not engaging properly and the cogs are slipping ( best description I can give) mine never suffered from the shuddering or hesitation problem, but they are two separate issues.
So should I be concerned about my problem? Was yours anything like in this video? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9TB-13GUik&noredirect=1

Mine is similar but it doesn't have the rattling sound this guys car had.
Old 10-01-2014, 12:12 PM   #98
rooford
Starter Motor

Thats exactly the noise I had, I first noticed it when I was visiting Canberra, it just came out of the blue one day, driving back to Melbourne ( non stop) there was no noise at all, and then 2klm from the freeway when changing gears it came back, a software upgrade from the dealer did not fix it, only a new clutch did.
But as I said I had never experienced the shuddering or hesitation that a lot of owners have , just the rattling noise.
Old 10-01-2014, 12:32 PM   #99
C0ncrete

There is most definitely a fix for the shuddering.

Don't accept software resets, software updates, "another 2,000 k's"

Demand it get's fixed!

My wife messaged me today saying it was like a brand new car....so I guess it passes the test!
Old 10-01-2014, 12:45 PM   #100
alokin123

Quote:
Originally Posted by C0ncrete View Post
There is most definitely a fix for the shuddering.

Don't accept software resets, software updates, "another 2,000 k's"

Demand it get's fixed!

My wife messaged me today saying it was like a brand new car....so I guess it passes the test!
Where did you get yours sorted out at? Might have to consider other dealerships if i cant get any joy out of mine.
Old 10-01-2014, 01:24 PM   #101
C0ncrete

Morley Ford in Perth
Old 10-01-2014, 01:53 PM   #102
alokin123

Quote:
Originally Posted by C0ncrete View Post
Morley Ford in Perth
bugger. I am in Sydney. Anyone in NSW with these issues get a helpful response from a Ford service centre?
Old 10-01-2014, 10:14 PM   #103
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sunshine Ford Southport Gold Coast..a little out of sydney.
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2014, 03:28 PM   #104
alokin123

ok so I have managed to get an archived copy of the TSB. Is this the issue?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TSB 13-9-4.pdf (243.6 KB, 263 views)
Old 13-01-2014, 11:48 PM   #105
going nowhere
Starter Motor

Is there any way to tell if a late model 2013 Focus Sport would be affected, or have the updates fitted?

Currently in the market for an Auto Focus Sport and am trying to take advantage of the driveaway special on at the moment.

What are the chances that Ford is using the promo to flog off affected stock?
going nowhere is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2014, 12:19 AM   #106
going nowhere
Starter Motor

Also has anyone had/heard of any similar issues or other problems with the diesel engine?
Old 14-01-2014, 07:39 AM   #107
SpoolMan

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

diesel powered have wet clutches its a different auto trans and it has no known issues.

Old 14-01-2014, 08:02 AM   #108
going nowhere
Starter Motor

Excellent, thanks for that.

Sounds like it might be worth paying the extra.

I'll ask the dealer today and see what sort of PR spin I get.
Old 16-01-2014, 03:14 PM   #109
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Thanks to this thread i wont even consider buying a Focus as the MRS next car. Currently looking for a medium sized auto runaround, probably 1-2 years old. Was seriously considering the focus but it is most definitely not on the cards anymore.

EDIT: any known issues with the 2011/12 diesel focus?

Last edited by fordomatic; 16-01-2014 at 03:27 PM.
fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2014, 04:01 PM   #110
SpoolMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic View Post
EDIT: any known issues with the 2011/12 diesel focus?
Only the extra cost of purchasing the diesel engine.
They drive great and the torque of the diesel pulls the car through the gears very swiftly.

Old 16-01-2014, 04:21 PM   #111
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolMan View Post
Only the extra cost of purchasing the diesel engine.
They drive great and the torque of the diesel pulls the car through the gears very swiftly.
Thanks mate, after looking on carsales and just making a few calls, can easily get an 11/12 diesel for 15 with less than 40,000 on the clock.
fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2014, 06:40 PM   #112
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Gee they drop in value a lot,when I would not have expected the diesels to drop as much as the petrol engined version
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2014, 07:54 PM   #113
martinijosh
▇ ▅ █ ▅ ▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▅ ▃ ▅ ▅

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent guide for headlamp repair. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marg99 View Post
Gee they drop in value a lot,when I would not have expected the diesels to drop as much as the petrol engined version
One does not simply buy a Ford, and expect to have good resale value.
Headlights don't work in your B Series? Here's how to fix it!
martinijosh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2014, 08:56 PM   #114
damo76
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hey guys, i noticed the thread says 2011 Ford Focus Sport, Transmission Shudders well mine does it in 2013 focus sports. Anyway i told ford when it went in for its 30000km service that transmission was doing some strange things. The mechanic said there were a couple software updates for the transmission. Anyway when i picked up the car that day the transmission was smooth, no shuddering, it was nice.
Next couple days strange things are happening again, like its shuddering high end 3rd gear and overly sensitive acceleration, it feels like st*t, it is the most indecisive piece of ***** i have ever driven. the car is crap. my c6 transmission in my 1982 bronco drives a lot better than this new crap, the transmission in the focus doesnt know what its doing.
Bottom line software updates are crap.
Anyone else got problems with 2013 focus?
damo76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2014, 04:51 PM   #115
Imolator
Quad Cam

Well my 2013 is going fine, its 12 months old on the 22nd. Some have reported clutch contamination, might be worthwhile checking for a leak between the engine and gearbox.

How old is yours? You sure do a lot of K's.
Imolator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2014, 05:43 PM   #116
kyoshipete

Had it from new with my 2012 titanium..just as you explain..exactly..told them instantly..there was clutch smell despite lightly driven..all raised with Ford and all denied s an issue..they insisted it was a very clever gear box and needed time to learn..raised time and again..no support..traded it under a year old..sick to death and that's from a Ford fan...having paid a reasonable amount of money for an RSpec!! Not good when your trying to compete against other brands!

Sent from my GT-I9210T using Tapatalk
Current - 2012 FPV RSpec #71 Black
Past -
2011 FPV GT335 Nitro 6A
2010 Xr 50th Nitro 6A
1996 Capa Blown LTD (DL)
1975 LTD (pop up h/lights)
XC GXL - with the lot
Multipe XB's GS's
Mock XY GT etc etc
kyoshipete is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2014, 10:34 AM   #117
kelvinyhm
Starter Motor

Just had my 2012 LW2 petrol serviced last few days. An update of firmware has applied to the powershift.

The car shudders and grind more than before. Not very bad still tolerable and was told to drive for 3-4 weeks for around 1k to see how it goes. So far I found the gear respond is better....felt like the gear is right for the speed.

Mech told me if not good after 3-4wks or 1k, bring it to them and they'll do further investigation while providing me a loan car.

So, will update again this time again next month.
kelvinyhm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2014, 02:07 PM   #118
KosCo

Had similar problem on my vehicle (Titanium LW2 now 15 months old) and you can see some of my story detailed in this forum.

Found that the software upgrade helped but was still left with a shudder. It wasn't till they replaced parts in the clutch that the shudder has now gone and car running like new. After new parts were installed, immediately there was no shudder - didn't need any running time for the shudder to disappear.

Please note - the shudder is NOT normal - it can be fixed by them and should be done under warranty. Don't accept the shudder - complain until they fix it.

If they say the shudder is "normal" ask them for a drive in one of their demo vehicles and get them to show that the shudder is apparent in that vehicle - bet there is never any shudder in any of their vehicles used for demo rides.

Again - DON'T ACCEPT THE SHUDDER - keep on their back - hope you get it sorted out.
KosCo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-01-2014, 10:34 PM   #119
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Our 2012 Fiesta after 3 software upgrades achieved nothing has had a new clutch.(at 19500kms)
Result
-no shuddering
-no grinding noises
-very smooth auto
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2014, 11:06 AM   #120
SpoolMan

Ours is being dropped off at the dealers on Tuesday they have it for just over 2 weeks while we are away, lets hope when we come back its all 100%.