The F6 will smash the GT by over 0.5 of a second 18 6.72%
Who cares, HSV will be quicker anyway 19 7.09%
Voters: 268. You may not vote on this poll

Old 30-04-2010, 12:26 PM   #181
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grobbo
Have you actually done a days drag racing?

I used to take my Skyline to the circuit and I was nailing consistently handy times within a few laps... After a year of going to the same circuit, (and with some expert training) and no mods to the car I wasn't even a second quicker.

Took my XR8 to the AFF drags thinking it would be a piece of cake and boy was I wrong - I was really surprised by how hard it was to consistently nail a sweet time.

In fact I never got close to my one best time again and hence set my DYO too low and lost the final because of this.

I had an awesome day and got heaps of track time.

I have set my car up to handle a track day but to be honest I think I'm going just do drags, with the ocassional blast on a certain twisty section of road at 8/10ths - more fun than the track I reckon!

On the track I'm just constantly reminded I'm driving a car designed for the road...
Of the track days i've done the most enjoyable thing, by a country mile was getting into a rhythm and nailing the apex of corners and learning car control.

Learning the edge of grip, gearing, handling, braking etc...

You just don't get that from drag racing, in fact id have no idea of my lap times from the days i did because i was more interested in just enjoying the car and getting all the car control stuff sorted.

That is what Motorsport is for me, and what i enjoy most about performance vehicles.

How they go from a standing start is really not that important to me, how they accelerate from gear to gear, handle and brake is....

Last edited by 4Vman; 30-04-2010 at 12:33 PM.
4Vman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2010, 12:50 PM   #182
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Have you actually done a days drag racing?

I used to take my Skyline to the circuit and I was nailing consistently handy times within a few laps... After a year of going to the same circuit, (and with some expert training) and no mods to the car I wasn't even a second quicker.

Took my XR8 to the AFF drags thinking it would be a piece of cake and boy was I wrong - I was really surprised by how hard it was to consistently nail a sweet time.

In fact I never got close to my one best time again and hence set my DYO too low and lost the final because of this.

I had an awesome day and got heaps of track time.

I have set my car up to handle a track day but to be honest I think I'm going just do drags, with the ocassional blast on a certain twisty section of road at 8/10ths - more fun than the track I reckon!

On the track I'm just constantly reminded I'm driving a car designed for the road...
Yes once or twice on both

Was your XR8 an auto?
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2010, 02:08 PM   #183
Grobbo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Yes once or twice on both

Was your XR8 an auto?
Ha good point! It was manual, and a ute, and on 19's...

An auto sedan running in my bracket probably wouldn't have been nearly as challenging or rewarding to launch I would think.

But anything with enough poke to be tricky to launch is going to be lots of fun at the drags I reckon.

I'd still love a track day if I had the right car, but now I've learnt drags can be just as rewarding and won't neccesarily expose all your cars shortcomings...
Grobbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2010, 02:49 PM   #184
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Of the track days i've done the most enjoyable thing, by a country mile was getting into a rhythm and nailing the apex of corners and learning car control.

Learning the edge of grip, gearing, handling, braking etc...

You just don't get that from drag racing, in fact id have no idea of my lap times from the days i did because i was more interested in just enjoying the car and getting all the car control stuff sorted.

That is what Motorsport is for me, and what i enjoy most about performance vehicles.

How they go from a standing start is really not that important to me, how they accelerate from gear to gear, handle and brake is....
Yeah, I took my bike for a track day a few years ago at Eastern Creek. I too have no idea on what my times were, but it was all about hustling through the corners, choosing the right gears for entry & exit, feeling the front and rear slide and picking the apexes as best as I could. Hearing the revs soar over 11k. Because my bike was a lightweight twin with only 70hp, it was all about the cornering and monstering the guys on the big bikes who would repass me down the main straight doing 240-260kmh when I only had the oomph for 200-215kmh. Great fun.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2010, 02:57 PM   #185
Grobbo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyc
Yeah, I took my bike for a track day a few years ago at Eastern Creek. I too have no idea on what my times were, but it was all about hustling through the corners, choosing the right gears for entry & exit, feeling the front and rear slide and picking the apexes as best as I could. Hearing the revs soar over 11k. Because my bike was a lightweight twin with only 70hp, it was all about the cornering and monstering the guys on the big bikes who would repass me down the main straight doing 240-260kmh when I only had the oomph for 200-215kmh. Great fun.
Well now we're definitely moving away from the discussion around what's the most relevant performance measure for a standard road car...

Which was kinda already off topic anyway...
Old 30-04-2010, 04:25 PM   #186
Quicksand
Lucky, lucky bastard!

Well on the bright side, we've identified the Holden/HSV trolls

Circuit and Drag racing each have their place.
Old 30-04-2010, 04:50 PM   #187
Grobbo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What is the actual time for a standard F6 anyway? There seems to be people quoting 11's on the forum through to 13's in magazines...

Does Ford itself quote an official time? You'd have to take that as the benchmark wouldn't you...
Old 30-04-2010, 05:02 PM   #188
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

It seems mid 12's are the normal for a FG F6, with some G6ET's getting high 12's themselves.

Mr GT-H will need it hit 12 flat IMO. Good luck with that FPV, it can be done but keeping the costs down is the issue.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2010, 05:03 PM   #189
Quicksand
Lucky, lucky bastard!

Ford dont quote a time. I dont even think they quote a 0-100km/h time anymore..?

Magazines have gotten 13 flat, but as 4vman alluded to, this is in more 'real world' circumstances such as the car having passengers, airconditioning turned on, full tank of fuel, junk in the trunk, not stalling up the revs, done via GPS (so cannot gain time from 'roll-on') and not on a sticky drag strip.

Forum members have gotten 12.3's stock at a professional drag strip (refer to Drag Racing Section for threads on it). The average for a standard F6 is mid 12's at the strip. Not as real world, but at some point the new GT's will be taken down there too so it will be measured against the F6 records at the strip AS WELL as the magazine times in the 'real world' conditions.

It is all very interesting.
Old 30-04-2010, 05:25 PM   #190
Grobbo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Far out eh, a mid 12, geez that's impressive.

You have to wonder what the limit is for a Falcon with stock tyres etc...

In fact I can't recall seeing many, if any, heavy, front engined RWD cars go below 12 on low profile street rubber...

I'm sticking with my 'too close to call' vote... :-)
Old 30-04-2010, 05:36 PM   #191
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

On reflection, I thought one of the ultimate questions was, 'Which came first; the chicken or the egg?'

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2010, 05:47 PM   #192
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
On reflection, I thought one of the ultimate questions was, 'Which came first; the chicken or the egg?'
Does it matter, ill eat both of them.

That in reflection to the issue sums it up for me, Ill take one of each thanks!
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2010, 06:26 PM   #193
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Far out eh, a mid 12, geez that's impressive.

You have to wonder what the limit is for a Falcon with stock tyres etc...

In fact I can't recall seeing many, if any, heavy, front engined RWD cars go below 12 on low profile street rubber...
Last Friday week at Calder a work mate of mine raced his FG XR6T in factory trim except for the filter et12.81@110mph, 112kg driver, this car was on the dyno earlier in the day 236rwkw.
Same night a member here raced his FG F6 in factory trim et:12.36@114mph.
These are not insulated or fluke numbers, plenty of 12's for the FG GE6T with single spinner diff and we have many FG F6's in the mid 12's, some of these have shown as high as 290rwkw on the dyno, there making a lot more power than FPV are stating.
Elite Auto had a tune only FG F6 run et:12.1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
WILL THE FG2 GT (coyote) BE QUICKER OVER THE 400m THAN THE F6?

So, in the near future, a bog standard FG2 GT lines up against a FG2 F6 and the xmas tree turns green. What happens next.......

Re-quote some of the original question, it seems the thread is turning into a circuit Vs Drag racing debate..
Its about whats quicker over 400 meters.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW

Last edited by SpoolMan; 30-04-2010 at 06:32 PM.
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2010, 11:48 PM   #194
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by castellan
I am a car enthusiasts to. and like better performing cars to. i just see a lot more to it, then just the 1/4 mile side of it. i am interested in the 1/4 times. but it does not just stop there.
The rat bags mentality i was referring to was only kids or dreamers would think of owning a $70000 car, that only worship the 1/4 times.
Like if a sales man would be left scratching his head when selling say a new XR turbo 6 falcon vs XR 8. and when the dude buys the XR 8 he can't figure it out why. as he informed the buyer the XR 6 is faster over the 1/4 mile.

It always has riled me with Aussie car magazines that they get away with substandard test results. compared with Europe who show the complete test results. it's like watching boxing when the fight has been called off to early.
ok i see your point .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2010, 10:40 AM   #195
Grobbo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolMan
Last Friday week at Calder a work mate of mine raced his FG XR6T in factory trim except for the filter et12.81@110mph, 112kg driver, this car was on the dyno earlier in the day 236rwkw.
Same night a member here raced his FG F6 in factory trim et:12.36@114mph.
These are not insulated or fluke numbers, plenty of 12's for the FG GE6T with single spinner diff and we have many FG F6's in the mid 12's, some of these have shown as high as 290rwkw on the dyno, there making a lot more power than FPV are stating.
Elite Auto had a tune only FG F6 run et:12.1.
That's insane. I want one.