Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 27-07-2023, 01:27 PM   #1
benp
Starter Motor

Default Ford Mondeo MB OEM Replacement Touchscreen

Good afternoon,

I have been researching, and have found many "Tesla style" infotainment touchscreens available for my MB XR5 Mondeo. However, they are too large for my liking. I much prefer the look of these 7 inch nav screens that fit in the standard housing like my Sony 6CD Gen 2 unit does. Can someone point me to where I can get one from or even just the product code? I can't seem to find much info on them, if they were even offered as an option here or only in Europe.

Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1178.jpg (60.4 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1174_1_20.jpg (102.2 KB, 20 views)
benp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2023, 11:42 PM   #2
Mondaveo

Default Re: Ford Mondeo MB OEM Replacement Touchscreen

I believe those images you've posted are showing what was called the 'NX' satnav/infotainment touchscreen head unit, which was only ever available in UK/European market cars, never factory-fitted to any MB/MC Mondeo manufactured for Australia. (One of a raft of weird specification decisions/omissions made by Ford for Aus including no factory reversing camera, no driver's seat & mirrors memory function, no ventilated seats, no full leather seats, no CD stacker, and limited powertrain choices...)

Possibly you could source that head unit second-hand through a wrecker (or breaker as they call them) overseas and import it. It should be a plug-n-play install if you did so, although I'd not expect the satnav to retain any useful function once it's landed in a different country.

Otherwise you can follow the usual route of getting a third-party, off-the-shelf aftermarket head unit. There is a sizing standard for these, the size that fits the Mondeo is called Double-DIN (a rectangular box). You get a fascia kit to fill in the surround between the rectangular front panel/screen of the headunit and the ovaloid outline in the dashboard so it looks integrated with the car (you will find even the factory units, the Sony 6CD or the NX screen, are double DIN boxes behind the curvy plastic fascia). You then get an adapter harness that connects your steering-wheel control buttons (SWC) so you can control volume and playback. This is all standard stuff in the aftermarket world and your local car audio store should be able to help you with the selection of products you can install and adapters to make it all work.

One thing that's not standard is our Convers+ information display between the gauges. This is dependant on integration with the factory head unit for things like voice commands, phone calls, music information display, etc. So you can expect to lose all that, and have it be reduced to basically a trip computer. Of course, a modern headunit will bring many other functions (like smartphone mirroring), so it depends on you whether the tradeoff is worth it. (I got a reversing camera installed about 18mo ago, and I actually elected to get a windscreen-mounted monitor fitted for the camera display rather than the more usual way of changing to a big screen head unit, in part because I wanted to maintain the Convers+ integration.)

Another option: It's been a while since I looked, but on eBay you used to be able to get Chinese-made head units designed 'for' particular car models, with various features and a fascia/surround pre-fitted to make it look more like a factory original unit. These all were typically questionable brands and quality, I would stick with a known brand of stereo like Pioneer or Sony from a reputable store and get the adapters and generic fascia fitted around it.

There have been a few discussion threads about head units here in the forums (mostly from a few years ago), here are some (that I've been in) that you might find interesting reading:

2013 Mondeo aftermarket stereo - has a photo showing one of the Chinese aftermarket units installed.
Aftermarket Double Din Head Unit For Mondeo Zetec MC - longer discussion thread on pros and cons, also having photos of another aftermarket unit.
MC Mondeo sat nav - just a short thread, but has some notes about a Chinese unit I found that allegedly does retain Convers+ as well as doing a changeup of the whole centre console. Very interesting but probably not realistically attainable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondeo View Post
Like 'Mondeo' is possibly Latin for gearbox anxiety.

Last edited by Mondaveo; 31-07-2023 at 11:48 PM.
Mondaveo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post: