Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 02-01-2014, 11:04 AM   #1
whitetdci

Default Replacing thermo fan on MA TDCi

I have to replace the thermo fan as it has died and is stopping the AC from working. The thermo fan is linked to the computer by a control module which is incorporated on the fan itself. If it or the fan fails, the ac will not work. The bad news is that you can not buy them separately and there appears to be no aftermarket option. Brand new from Ford it will set you back $800. But wait, there's more. They will then hit you another $500 to fit it. I have had a look at how to fit one but it looks a bit tricky. may have to pull the front off it.
Has anyone experienced this problem before and more importantly, has anyone had to replace the fan. Seems to be fairly straight forward once you pull the front end off the car!!

whitetdci is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2014, 01:48 AM   #2
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Replacing thermo fan on MA TDCi

Ouch, that sounds pretty painful mate, i think i would be seeing a sparky and asking if he could replace the fan with something from another vehicle and wire it up so it works as it should, after all it is just a fan, 800 buks for an ac fan = OMG, maybe he thought want engine too .
i dunno what state your from and if you have a pick a part, but you see ac fans floating around from various vehicles wandering around the wreckers,
it surprises me that a fan would die at such a young age.
Anyway, perhaps there is an opportunity to put a better fan in and increase the aircon mojo at the same time?
maybe see if repco can get one in, they surprised me the other day, i went to replace a 13 year old power window switch for my my falcon at ford parts and they are no longer available, yet repco can get them in.
good luck.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2014, 10:08 AM   #3
whitetdci

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
Ouch, that sounds pretty painful mate, i think i would be seeing a sparky and asking if he could replace the fan with something from another vehicle and wire it up so it works as it should, after all it is just a fan,
Unfortunately it is not just a fan as it has the module incorporated onto the plastic mounting that talks to the computer and if the fan is faulty it will shut down the AC to protect it from overheating.
Quote:
800 bs for an ac fan = OMG, maybe he thought want engine too .
I agree. But as they have you over a barrel they think that they can charge what they like. Typical car parts seller.
Quote:
i dunno what state your from and if you have a pick a part, but you see ac fans floating around from various vehicles wandering around the wreckers,
it surprises me that a fan would die at such a young age.
Anyway, perhaps there is an opportunity to put a better fan in and increase the aircon mojo at the same time?
maybe see if repco can get one in, they surprised me the other day, i went to replace a 13 year old power window switch for my my falcon at ford parts and they are no longer available, yet repco can get them in.
good luck.
From NSW. These fans are pretty rare. I have even thought of re wiring the motor, but the auto electrician believes this is a no go. You have to go original because of the integrated module.
This user likes this post:
Old 03-01-2014, 02:56 PM   #4
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hmmm i guess your up for a legit mondeo fan by the look of it(bummer), i do think you could still do it with a different fan and some creative wiring, but i understand you not wanting to screw with the factory setup, i wonder if any other ford models use the same fan/module, i bought a 02 sensor of ebay and later found out it came off and from a us model that used the identical one......... that might be worth looking into, good luck mate.
Old 03-01-2014, 03:21 PM   #5
whitetdci

I would be really interested in hearing from anyone that has had to remove and replace the thermo fan to see what you have to do to get it out
Old 06-01-2014, 12:25 AM   #6
digbc

A cheaper option maybe getting one sent from the uk ,when I was researching my recent ac problems I recall on one of the uk forums someone had the exact same problem. Or ford/maz wrecker at Smithfield 97251188 maybe able to help
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Monde...item4acd2bc976
Is this what you need

Last edited by digbc; 06-01-2014 at 12:30 AM.
digbc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2014, 07:12 PM   #7
cyclone1410

Quote:
Originally Posted by digbc View Post
A cheaper option maybe getting one sent from the uk ,when I was researching my recent ac problems I recall on one of the uk forums someone had the exact same problem. Or ford/maz wrecker at Smithfield 97251188 maybe able to help
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Monde...item4acd2bc976
Is this what you need
That one is for a Mk3 Mondeo not a Mk4 (MA to MC).
Old 06-01-2014, 08:59 PM   #8
whitetdci

I had noticed that too. Different look to it and bigger fan
Old 29-08-2014, 08:23 PM   #9
marcusturbo

Old thread but kinda close to what I think has gone wrong with my car or something pretty close.

Car has a flat battery & is towed to garage. Dealership have the car for a few hours then phone. With no ignition on, the cooling fans are running at full speed all the time, mind that the car has not been run so no heat in engine. They can't work out what is keeping the fans running, they can't work out if the control module is goosed or the other controller thingy. They are going to continue today and tomorrow & see what they find.

I'm wondering if like above, it's something to do with the Thermo/Cooling fan & going to end up with a big $$$ to replace plus their millions hours of labour & lets not forget a new battery plus reflashing all the control modules. I'm not liking where this is going.
Old 30-08-2014, 10:55 PM   #10
digbc

Surely the electronics would only need to be reset and away you go .Is it really that hard ?
digbc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2014, 04:08 PM   #11
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by digbc View Post
Surely the electronics would only need to be reset and away you go .Is it really that hard ?
I don't think it is that simple mate, im not an electronics techy , my brother is though , he tells me that electronic components do have a service life, and low quality components an even shorter service life.
no one wants to put dodgey components into their electronics , but ............ there are components that are copied that look the same as better quality ones out there on the market, for manufacturers sourcing the good stuff can be a big headache , and later a headache for you and i when they fail.
i have a vehicle from the 90`s , it has a known faulty component in the ecu that is a ticking time bomb and the ecu is $ 2000.00 + to replace,
im not saying that is the problem here , but problems with electronics are very common these days.
Old 02-09-2014, 01:59 AM   #12
marcusturbo

I got my car back today after they had replaced the fans. Not sure if there is one or two fans that make up one unit. What ever they have done has fixed the fans from running full speed all the time and killing the battery. The part they replaced has the number : FO6G918C607GL, it would be good if someone with access to Ford Parts can tell me exactly what got replaced.
Total bill to replace the Fans, do all the fault finding & recharge my battery $800.
Old 03-09-2014, 01:29 AM   #13
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

while it is a sting in the wallet Marcus, there was probably a fair bit of labor in that job, add the part cost, etc .... meh the joys of motoring mate ;), glad your limo is a goer again.
Old 20-08-2023, 04:48 PM   #14
SLWF1
Starter Motor

Hi I'm Simon
We have recently changed the thermo fan out on an MA.
Remove the bottom covers from the underside of the car. L/H/S remove charge air hose 8mm clamp push hose back out of way. R/H/S remove charge air hose clamp.
Top side remove air box, remove washer box top throat.
Disconnect main connection to fan regulator & remove under side connection to fan.
1 screw removes regulator.
Disconnect main feed hose to the air into manifold front top engine & remove hose as you have already disconnected the bottom.
The water hose that runs across the top can be held out of the way when removin assy.
outremove left & R/H/S radiator retaining plastic dowel screws. This will give you a bit more room to lift the fan assy out.
On the left & right there are plastic to clips that hold the fan assy on position.
Push back & lift at the same time.
Now it's going to be tight but with 2 of you 1 left 1 right lift the driver's side first, flex the plastic of the fan assy, move the water hose out of the way.
You need to move the driver side first.
It will take some juggling but the assy can be removed but be careful not to damage the inside face of the cooling block.
The point is flex the plastic assy & it will go back in.
It's a bit hard of a job but saving 2000 Oz dollars worked for me & the boy.
Take your time & enjoy over a couple of beers.
Guys we did it with the thermo fan assy from a MC, it's the Same.
It's not easy but you can do it.
Cheers
Si
SLWF1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post