Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 04-03-2014, 08:27 PM   #1
esky_mad

Exclamation XR8 dropping into neutral

Hey guys,

My AU2 XR8 has a strange gearbox issue, it only happens once and within a few minutes of driving the car.

I have a sharp intersection where i turn every morning on my way to work, if the light is green and i can roll through i don't seem to have the issue but if i have to stop and then take off just as i have finished turning the corner which goes on a slight incline the car jumps into neutral.

It free revs for a few seconds then grabs a gear an I'm off again, if doesn't matter how fast or slow i take it it always seems to happen now, much more so in the wet but still in the dry also.

I find it quite dangerous since the car pretty much comes to a stop and other cars are right behind me :/

I have changed the inhibitor switch to a brand new one but it still happened this afternoon on another sharpish corner i have to take on my way home.

It only does it once per drive and is fine from there.

I haven't had a chance to check the fluid yet which will be my next step but can anyone provide me with some insite ?

Cheers in advance.

esky_mad is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2014, 10:01 PM   #2
just me
AU2 XR8

Default Re: XR8 dropping into neutral

Low oil level for sure. Have a look to see where it's leaking from most likely front or rear servo covers or extension bush and seal, unless you have had the radiator out and lost fluid that way it's got to be going somewhere. Hope this helps
just me is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2014, 10:06 PM   #3
esky_mad

Thanks for the reply mate, i noticed a fair amount of weepage around the oil pan when i changed the inhibitor switch so that would make sense.

Ill through a fresh filter in and top it up.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:53 PM   #4
just me
AU2 XR8

Very unlikely to be coming from the pan gasket unless it has been done up way to tight. I own a auto transmission shop and have only seen a handful leaking from the sump will probably be rear servo gasket
just me is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2014, 11:21 PM   #5
esky_mad

No problems, just mentioned that there is a fair amount of trans oil around the pan area, assuming its been running down from somewhere.