Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Cougar and Probe

Old 26-09-2008, 02:52 PM   #1
jm92
Starter Motor

Default Cougar- New Alternator

hey all.

i need a new alternator for my 2000 cougar.

I have a contact in the US who can ship one much cheaper then they cost here in aus.
how ever to confirm. i need the part number for the alternator by ford here in australia.
does any body no the part number for the laternator, or no a site or location thats easy enough to get it?

much apprectiated.
jm.

jm92 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2008, 09:45 PM   #2
professorsabre
NECO

Suggest you call your Ford dealer and confirm with their spare part division. I had to replace mt a/con compressor and there we three versions in the US and had to confirm with the dealer which one we had in our Cougars.
Cheers
professorsabre is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2008, 10:24 PM   #3
XR5-Boy
You mad, bro?

Ford has no spare alternators! Trust, i just checked 5 days ago!

SFS 2007 Best Cougar, SFS 2010/2011 Best Focus XR5
XR5-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2008, 02:32 AM   #4
pcperfection
Cougar

Alternators are repairable to a point, might be worth having it looked at, also keep in mind the cars we share parts with, mondeo, probe, mazda mpv, ford taurus
Think you can get the part ## of the manual

Cheers
Mark
pcperfection is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2008, 12:46 PM   #5
XR5-Boy
You mad, bro?

Yeh, the way mine was fixed was using the internals from another alternator (motorcraft). Basically the brushes had worn out the copper totally. One of the reason of my dimming lights etc etc.

SFS 2007 Best Cougar, SFS 2010/2011 Best Focus XR5
XR5-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2008, 06:15 PM   #6
thearrow

I checked the price at Rockauto for you here:

https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php

They quote about U$300.00 including shipping but there are about 10 different types so you will have to find out the right part number for your particular car.
thearrow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2009, 01:21 AM   #7
scout

Jim What happened with your alternator did you get it sorted.
Trev
scout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2009, 12:21 AM   #8
Thunderbird

Default alternator..

.. try this mob.. www.usafordsp.com. they had them for a bit over $400 here & at least if it does not match up your got someone local to help.

They have a list of genuine part #'s on there also.

Last edited by Thunderbird; 15-01-2009 at 12:26 AM.
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2009, 01:39 PM   #9
Dadowiz
Cat Lover

Guys, be careful with www.usafordsp.com

I ordered leads and plugs from him, when they arrived they were both wrong and he argued that I was the one in the wrong. He sent me leads for a 1999 Cougar, instead of the 2001 I asked for. On top of that they were a cheap mexico knock off. Also his website indicated the plugs were correct for our car, they were not double plats and the gap was not pre-set, I could have gotten them cheaper at Supercheap. Since then he has added the double plat plugs and motorcraft lead set, but after much arguing.

Also, his website indicated on the front page that all of his items were priced inclusive of GST, then when I checked out GST was applied again.

Just my 2c, deal with at your own discretion.

Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbird
.. try this mob.. www.usafordsp.com. they had them for a bit over $400 here & at least if it does not match up your got someone local to help.

They have a list of genuine part #'s on there also.
Dadowiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2009, 12:22 AM   #10
Thunderbird

Default parts stuff

Dado.. you must have had a bad wrap.. I've have no problems and several other guys here also..
It says on the front page about gst is to be added if in Australia.... the web is a world wide thing .. how does anybody know where your looking at it from anyway.. .... Rockauto.com charges tax it your in their state. but they don't show it either.. The guy has helped me out abit although I've only brouht a few things its been ok.. I also buy from a Ford wrecker in Qld online and his prices are + Gst too.. . so its easy.
No problems here....at least somebody is interested in our cars.
Old 29-01-2009, 12:50 AM   #11
FTGAutosalvage
Commercial Sponsor

there are 2 different alternators available for the australian cougars.
one type has a flat type bolt up and the other has ears that bolt it on.

we should have both in stock. or be able to source 1
FTGAutosalvage is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2009, 09:03 AM   #12
Thunderbird

Default Cougar stuff

.. FTG.. thankyou .. .. do you have any Cougars for wrecking...? or can you supply an an AC compressor new or rebuilt.. Ford wanted about $4000 :togo: .. I'd rather sweat...!
Old 29-01-2009, 11:17 AM   #13
FTGAutosalvage
Commercial Sponsor

Quote:
.. FTG.. thankyou .. .. do you have any Cougars for wrecking...? or can you supply an an AC compressor new or rebuilt.. Ford wanted about $4000 :togo: .. I'd rather sweat...!
yes we have wrecked a few cougars, have 2 in stock at the moment. although they are looking a bit stripped out.
we have a second hand compressor only. they are $250
you could take it and get it rebuilt or better still have it installed then get yours rebuilt as a spare.
FTGAutosalvage is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2009, 08:28 PM   #14
cat1999
blueoval

genuine ford parts are way over priced I had a new set of tires fitter by a tyre fitter and he was to lazy to look for the key to the lock nut so he chisled them off cost of repairs totaled over $500.
needed a replacement wheel stud ford told me they only sell a complete wheel hub and I had to wait for 2 weeks if I ordered it as it had to come from OS so i obtained a hub from local wreckers for $300 only to find out that the studs are a knock out item and is available for around $10
ford also want a stagering $75 for a wheel nut (standard not lock nut) not bad for a $2.00 item from Autobarn
Front brake pads are a whoping $175 from ford and $50 odd from super cheap for the same thing
cat1999 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2009, 07:27 PM   #15
Dadowiz
Cat Lover

Hi Thunderbird,

Firstly I am sorry for bringing up an old thread.

I just wanted to comment on the whole +GST thing on his website, he has since ammended it after I told him what was wrong.

I can appreciate you and many others have had good dealings with the guy, and thats great. I just wish mine had been better...

peace out.

Quote:
Dado.. you must have had a bad wrap.. I've have no problems and several other guys here also..
It says on the front page about gst is to be added if in Australia.... the web is a world wide thing .. how does anybody know where your looking at it from anyway.. .... Rockauto.com charges tax it your in their state. but they don't show it either.. The guy has helped me out abit although I've only brouht a few things its been ok.. I also buy from a Ford wrecker in Qld online and his prices are + Gst too.. . so its easy.
No problems here....at least somebody is interested in our cars.
Dadowiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post